PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "Sox D-fang D-backs" 6/19 Postgame Thread

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Paulie and Rios go deep again, and Humber, as usual, was great.

Keep the train going against the Cubbies.

PeteWard
06-19-2011, 06:57 PM
All around the team looked great. Love the hit and runs!

JB98
06-19-2011, 06:58 PM
National League pitchers will tell you any day where they go 0-for-4 at the plate is a good day -- because that means they stayed in the game long enough to get four ABs.

Humber was awesome again. Nice, clean inning for Santos also.

johnnyg83
06-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Humber is the positive story of the season.

PeteWard
06-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Humber is the positive story of the season.

Konerko is a strong second. Man, is he wailin'!

russ99
06-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Humber pitched a heck of a game, and the offense woke up. Good deal.

Let's get those Cubs.

chisoxfanatic
06-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Cy Humber? He was dealing!

ChicagoG19
06-19-2011, 07:07 PM
I was concerned that the Sox were entering another big slump. I have been pleasantly surprised the last two night.:D:

palehozenychicty
06-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Been a lot of confounding teams over the last eleven years. This is another one. Nice win. :D:

sox1970
06-19-2011, 07:14 PM
I hope Humber and Konerko are back in Phoenix in a few weeks. They deserve it.

PalehosePlanet
06-19-2011, 07:15 PM
I was concerned that the Sox were entering another big slump. I have been pleasantly surprised the last two night.:D:

Same here, it sure looked like it.

Cool to hear all the Lets Go White Sox chants the last couple of games.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2011, 07:17 PM
They're teasing us again....

Lip

sox1970
06-19-2011, 07:18 PM

Lip

43-42 at the end of interleague play, and then come home and go 5-2 vs the Royals and Twins would put the Sox at 48-44 at the break. That's what we need.

MarySwiss
06-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Sweet!!! GREAT game to be at! Although it got kind of interesting at the end, all's well that ends well!

JermaineDye05
06-19-2011, 07:24 PM
As per my promise, I did not watch this game because of the lineup.

What more can you say?

Philip ****ing Humber.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Sox:

Right now I'd love for the Sox or anybody for that matter to beat the damn Twins.

Lip

TDog
06-19-2011, 07:26 PM
An impressive showing against a pitcher who has been very impressive this season. Another pitcher the White Sox have never seen before that they beat (should have been two last weekend against Oakland, but for the game that got away). Humber would have pitched better if the Sox hadn't put the game away in the eighth. If the score had been just 4-0, he might not have come out to pitch in the bottom of the inning and probably wouldn't have stayed in as long.

It's interesting that fans' pregame concerns didn't pan out, as is often the case. Teahen didn't seem to hurt the Sox at third. He even turned in a defensive play that made the MLB highlights. Dunn didn't hurt the Sox in right. Pierre didn't hurt in left. Pierre even led off a couple of innings with hits and came around to score. Dunn didn't do anything offensively, and, ironically, his defensive replacement had a hit that broke the game further open. This isn't a lineup I would want to see out there every day, but this team will go as far as its starting pitching takes it.

A few things I liked about the Sox performance today:

Ramirez, officially 0-for-2 with runners in scoring position, twice drove in runners from third with less than two outs, and the first and fourth runs were huge at the time. The Sox likely would have scored another run if his first RBI had come on a groundout to second instead of short, but it proved to be the game-winning RBI nonetheless. Really, the Sox didn't need any hits with runners in scoring position or defensive mistakes to win this game.

Humber pitched extremely well against a very good lineup in their home park. He was in a jam when the game was still close and pitched his way out of it.

One has to wonder how many home runs Paul Konerko would hit if he played in Arizona. I doubt he would keep up with the one-a-game-in-Arizona pace he set this weekend. Ironic, though, that today of all days Konerko made the only White Sox error. Nonetheless, Konerko followed is following up the best season of his career with perhaps a better season for the White Sox.

Normally you wouldn't want to see your best closer come into the game with a six-run lead, but I liked bringing in Santos today. And he did OK.

voodoochile
06-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Fun game. Humber was great, as usual, PK continues to be hot. The Sox got good production from their top two batters and even some of the outs were productive with TCM driving in 2 while going 0/5.

Nice effort all around to salvage these last two games of an otherwise frustrating roadtrip.

Still the Sox remain within striking distance and the Toons have to stop playing the Pirates someday don't they?

3 games under, 5.5 back...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

PeteWard
06-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Sox:

Right now I'd love for the Sox or anybody for that matter to beat the damn Twins.

Lip

Look for SF to cool them off this week.

ChiSoxGal85
06-19-2011, 07:37 PM
:clap: Nice performance by Humber, AGAIN. What an asset he has become this year.

The bats were off to a rather slow start (9 up, 9 down!) - but they figured it out eventually. Paulie is sick. Rios seems to be awakening; wish Dunn would follow suit. A key double by AJ scores 3 runs.

Good performance overall...let's smoke the Cubs now.

kevingrt
06-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Humber has to get some love for the All Star game right?

Zakath
06-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Humber has to get some love for the All Star game right?

Helps that the manager doesn't reside in Boston or New York.

SoxSpeed22
06-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Where would we be without Phil? Let's just take the Cubs out.

Zakath
06-19-2011, 08:01 PM
My only concern with Humber is that he seems to go from really good to really done really fast. Beyond 7 is really a crap shoot with him.

Sox
06-19-2011, 08:22 PM

Lip

I so agree....but in the meantime lets all relish in this pale hose victory...:bandance:

TDog
06-19-2011, 08:40 PM
My only concern with Humber is that he seems to go from really good to really done really fast. Beyond 7 is really a crap shoot with him.

Hitters seem to have much better at bats against Humber his third time through the order. The splits probably don't bear that out, but that is my observation. Against the A's, for example, he was unhittable through six and couldn't get anyone out in the seventh, despite not having a high pitch count. I don't think it's about getting tired as much as hitters figuring out how to hit him.

If he can consistently shut down the opposition for six or seven innings, though, he isn't putting much strain on the bullpen.

SOXSINCE'70
06-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Sox:

Lip

The Padres now know our pain.

They lost 6-5,1-0 and 5-4 in 3 games at Target Field.

Jeez, the Twinks must have thought they had a
5 game series against the Sox.No teal intended.

SOXSINCE'70
06-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Look for SF to cool them off this week.

We can hope, can't we??:praying:

BigKlu59
06-19-2011, 09:22 PM

Lip

Thats a fact, Lip.... These guys really know how to drag that $50 bill on fishing line behind them... .500 is on the horizon again... I hope once they get there they dont fall off the end of the earth.:D:

BK59

shingo10
06-19-2011, 09:28 PM
I feel like we are taking Konerko for granted. This past year and a half has been phenomenal. His production is just amazing.

It's so nice to have a guy that strikes fear into other opponents like he does.

veeter
06-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Humber + Konerko + NL = Sox wins. Keep it going!!! I'll be there tomorrow night. Can't wait!

doublem23
06-19-2011, 09:38 PM
And here I was told on Friday that this team was listlessly heading to nowhere.

:scratch:

LongLiveFisk
06-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Humber + Konerko + NL = Sox wins. Keep it going!!! I'll be there tomorrow night. Can't wait!

Humberko? :tongue:

chisoxfanatic
06-19-2011, 09:57 PM

:welcome:

russ99
06-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Sox:

Lip

Seems to be a recurring theme.

Since May 1st, the Sox are 1-5 vs. the Twins and Tigers and 22-14 against everyone else.

Were gonna have to beat those guys to have a chance this year.

hawkjt
06-19-2011, 11:23 PM
I was surprised that ball that PK hit did not go deep into the stands,he really turned on that one...but Alex then went even higher and deeper..nice.
That error on PK was a joke...that was a tough play,as he was lucky to get the glove on it,and he was totally off-balance on that throw...had to be ruled a hit.
As for Humber,it was not like they really hammered him in the 8th,and I think he lost his edge a bit with the long big inning for the Sox.
I do think PK is a lock for all star game back home in Arizona...that will be nice for him. Humber? Not so sure...he is a no-name,and Washington will go with the big names. Thats ok,tho...after Matt Thornton blew up in the all star game and after...who needs it?

Ozzie gambled with Dunn in right and he made a nice play on the only tough play out there...thankfully. He looked like a giant bear running that liner down...they had to laughing in the locker room afterward.

Juan and Omar really set the table nicely today. For once they executed hit and run to perfection. I think Omar is great as long as we do not play him too much,but I would go with him more at 2nd til Gordo gets it together.

Alex finally ran into a couple this weekend...get it rolling,please,Alex!
Alexei's rbi grounders were good to see, so rare this year.
AJ finally got a hit with runners on,altho the pressure was off by then..still,maybe he heats up now.
And Sergio looked relaxed...he had not pitched since last sunday..good for him.
Go out and sweep the Cubs this week,and get to .500,please.

guillensdisciple
06-19-2011, 11:31 PM

Last I checked this team sucks against this division and against the Twins. Last I checked we don't play the NL the entire year. Last I checked we are 5.5 games back in the division. Last I checked we have been floating around the same record for about 2 weeks.

I don't understand how anyone can trust this team in the slightest bit considering that the same holes and problems we have had continue to show themselves. It's not like we have shown that we'll break out of it. Just wait until we play the division. If we play like this against them, then go ahead and celebrate, but there is no way anyone should be jumping for joy watching this.

What makes it worse is that the twins are making their annual climb. That means the White Sox will have their annual fold unless this team is truly ready to make the next step. I don't see it, but if they are we will see soon enough.

Zisk77
06-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Last I checked this team sucks against this division and against the Twins. Last I checked we don't play the NL the entire year. Last I checked we are 5.5 games back in the division. Last I checked we have been floating around the same record for about 2 weeks.

I don't understand how anyone can trust this team in the slightest bit considering that the same holes and problems we have had continue to show themselves. It's not like we have shown that we'll break out of it. Just wait until we play the division. If we play like this against them, then go ahead and celebrate, but there is no way anyone should be jumping for joy watching this.

What makes it worse is that the twins are making their annual climb. That means the White Sox will have their annual fold unless this team is truly ready to make the next step. I don't see it, but if they are we will see soon enough.

last i checked this post was redundent.

kittle42
06-19-2011, 11:39 PM

They could be again in just a few days. That is THE problem with this team.

mzh
Isn't it funny how despite having by far the longest season of any professional sport, baseball fans seem to be the most neurotic and panicky?

My opinion is that at this point in the season, with less than half of the games played, speculation is pointless. Not to say that it shouldn't be done, but teams have collapsed or turned around in a matter of 25 or 30 games, much less the 85 or 86 we have left to play.

Again, I'm not saying that people shouldn't speculate or theorize, but much more goes into a season than 5 or 6 particular games. Just my $.02.

guillensdisciple
last i checked this post was redundent.

Redundant*

Sunnydre
06-20-2011, 12:01 AM
nice win. we needed these last two.

the twins are coming..

palehozenychicty
06-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Good series rebound. Mr. Humber is just getting it in every start.

JermaineDye05
06-20-2011, 01:12 AM
If Ozzie's willing to put Dunn in RF, he should be more than willing to put the tank out there when you consider the offensive jolt he could give this team.

doublem23
06-20-2011, 01:24 AM
They could be again in just a few days. That is THE problem with this team.

Oh no, I agree with the spirit of this post, the most games I can see the Sox winning this year is in the mid-80s region unless they catch fire and go on another crazy streak were they win 19 of 20 or whatever they did last year.

The point more is you look at some of the posts from Friday and you'd think the Sox were heading toward 50-something wins and were going to be disbanded after the season was over.

Nellie_Fox
06-20-2011, 01:36 AM
That error on PK was a joke...that was a tough play,as he was lucky to get the glove on it,and he was totally off-balance on that throw...had to be ruled a hit.Nah. Paulie had time to set himself and throw; the runner was not exactly burning it up down the line, and was still several strides from first when the ball got thrown away. He rushed when he didn't have to. It happens.

hawkjt
06-20-2011, 01:47 AM
Nah. Paulie had time to set himself and throw; the runner was not exactly burning it up down the line, and was still several strides from first when the ball got thrown away. He rushed when he didn't have to. It happens.

Maybe you are right but from what I saw, PK could have easily not picked it in the first place and it would not have been an error if he had not...so anything after that should not be an error in my book,but my book is not official. I think he would have almost had to do a 360 to set stop his momentum and throw. If Dunn was down there he would not have gotten a glove on it and it would be a hit,no question. Seems wrong to penalize PK for good hands.

Nellie_Fox
06-20-2011, 01:49 AM
If Dunn was down there he would not have gotten a glove on it and it would be a hit,no question. THAT I agree with.

Daver
06-20-2011, 02:07 AM
If that play happened in Chicago it would have been a hit.

October26
06-20-2011, 07:52 AM
Happy to see the Sox hit the baseball yesterday. :D: What a nice Father's Day present for all the dads, including mine.

Thanks Philip, Paulie, Alex, & AJ!

Time to beat the Cubs - GO SOX!!

Foulke You
06-20-2011, 02:16 PM
After watching yesterday's game, I caught the MLB Network highlights and they played some clips from the D'backs broadcast of Humber mowing down hitters. The D'backs announcers were raving about his curveball saying that it drops so hard at the end it seems like "an anvil is attached to it". :cool: