PDA

View Full Version : Pure Speculation: Ozzie Next Manager of the Marlins?

Sunnydre
06-19-2011, 02:38 PM
"...Of course, the Marlins refusal to look for a permanent manager guarantees that the never-ending Ozzie Guillen speculation will continue. Though Guillen's contract was extended through 2012, the opening of the new ballpark in Miami plus the possibility of the White Sox missing the playoffs during an "all-in" season makes for a situation too delicious to ignore."

Source (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Resigned-to-failure-Marlins-manager-Edwin-Rodri;_ylt=AvTkz2Os1S921bDxHSTX_F0RvLYF?urn=mlb-wp9975)

Not sure how they are with Baseball; but with College Football, when Yahoo starts or perpetrates a rumor, they are usually right.

voodoochile
06-19-2011, 02:40 PM
LOL all they say is the speculation will continue. This isn't a source it's a rumor.

JermaineDye05
06-19-2011, 02:48 PM
I sure would love Logan Morrison.

Gavin
06-19-2011, 06:47 PM
'Duk is the source. Kind of says it all.

canOcorn
06-19-2011, 08:08 PM
We can only hope and Pray! :praying:

Gavin
06-19-2011, 09:06 PM
We can only hope and Pray! :praying:

Amen.

Frater Perdurabo
06-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Ozzie goes to Florida. Sox get compensation. Florida pays his salary. New Sox manager brings in a better hitting coach and bench coach.

5X Winning. What's not to like?

TDog
06-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Ozzie goes to Florida. Sox get compensation. Florida pays his salary. New Sox manager brings in a better hitting coach and bench coach.

5X Winning. What's not to like?

Ozzie Guillen didn't bring in Greg Walker. Greg Walker was hired before Ozzie Guillen without Guillen's input or consent. So was Don Cooper.

Frater Perdurabo
06-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Ozzie Guillen didn't bring in Greg Walker. Greg Walker was hired before Ozzie Guillen without Guillen's input or consent. So was Don Cooper.

I understand this. I know I'm not the hiring supervisor, but...

I wouldn't hire a new manager who wouldn't demand Walker's firing/reassignment as a condition for accepting the job;

I would seriously question the wisdom of hiring a manager who would want to replace Don Cooper.

TDog
06-19-2011, 10:32 PM
I understand this. I know I'm not the hiring supervisor, but...

I wouldn't hire a new manager who wouldn't demand Walker's firing/reassignment as a condition for accepting the job;

I would seriously question the wisdom of hiring a manager who would want to replace Don Cooper.

When Chuck Tanner was hired by the A's after he was fired (maybe just not renewed, same effect) by the White Sox, it was with the understanding that he not bring pitching coach Johnny Sain along with him. But I digress.

Guillen didn't get to select his own coaches when he was hired to manage the White Sox. The coaches, with the possible exception of the bench coach, are not his inner circle as they are to the managers on many teams. If you're interviewing for a managerial job from outside the organization, and you actually want the job, I would question your wisdom if you demanded the firing/resignation of anyone in the organization.

Brian26
06-19-2011, 10:39 PM

Cooper may be gone after this season anyway.

JB98
06-19-2011, 11:52 PM

Yeah, his contract is up, and he was kinda pissed the Sox neither extended him, nor gave the Yankees permission to speak with him last offseason.

JermaineDye05
06-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Yeah, his contract is up, and he was kinda pissed the Sox neither extended him, nor gave the Yankees permission to speak with him last offseason.

I will be beyond pissed if we let go our single consistently good coach go after this season.

tstrike2000
06-20-2011, 06:20 AM

So there's a chance that Cooper leaves and the rest of the coaching staff stays? AWESOME!

Sunnydre
06-20-2011, 09:59 AM
So there's a chance that Cooper leaves and the rest of the coaching staff stays? AWESOME!

ha. this board would implode.

TheOldRoman
06-20-2011, 10:02 AM
I will be beyond pissed if we let go our single consistently good coach go after this season.They probably wanted to free up some money so they could extend Walker.:angry:

cards press box
06-20-2011, 10:29 AM

Didn't KW elevate Don Cooper from the minors in the first place and hired him to be the major league pitching coach? I am sure that KW wants to keep him and I have heard Cooper talk about his pride in being with one organization for many years. I don't see Cooper leaving, regardless of the outcome of these "Ozzie to the Marlins" rumors.

Fenway
06-20-2011, 10:12 PM
Bill Madden in the NY Daily News also hints Loria wants Ozzie badly

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/columnists/madden/index.html?page=1

It makes sense as now being downtown they can attract the Hispanic market which did not want to drive to the middle of nowhere.

Daver
06-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Didn't KW elevate Don Cooper from the minors in the first place and hired him to be the major league pitching coach? I am sure that KW wants to keep him and I have heard Cooper talk about his pride in being with one organization for many years. I don't see Cooper leaving, regardless of the outcome of these "Ozzie to the Marlins" rumors.

This is actually Cooper's second stint as the MLB pitching coach, he stepped down once before to return to the minors where he was eventually named minor league pitching director, and agreed to return when Nardi Contreas was shown the door.

Brian26
06-20-2011, 10:43 PM
This is actually Cooper's second stint as the MLB pitching coach, he stepped down once before to return to the minors where he was eventually named minor league pitching director, and agreed to return when Nardi Contreas was shown the door.

Cooper was pitching coach in '95, I think. The media guide mentions his earlier stint, but I've never been able to track down exactly how long he was with the big club. I think he came on-board sometime after Lamont got canned. Not sure if he even last until the end of the season. I didn't watch a lot of Sox baseball that summer, but I have no recollection of his time here.

Brian26
06-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Bill Madden in the NY Daily News also hints Loria wants Ozzie badly

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/columnists/madden/index.html?page=1

It makes sense as now being downtown they can attract the Hispanic market which did not want to drive to the middle of nowhere.

Chicago has a pretty big hispanic market. Although they've made progress, Ozzie and the Sox haven't really tapped that like the Fire Soccer Club has.

DSpivack
06-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Chicago has a pretty big hispanic market. Although they've made progress, Ozzie and the Sox haven't really tapped that like the Fire Soccer Club has.

A couple broad generalizations, but I think may have some truths:

Chicago's hispanic market is predominantly Mexican, most of whom favor soccer over baseball.

Miami's hispanic market is predominantly Cuban, with other Caribbean ethnicites, that tends to favor baseball over soccer.

Fenway
06-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Red Sox have a Spanish radio network in Boston - Providence - Hartford and Lowell/Lawrence...and all NESN games carry Spanish on SAP.

Gammons just said on NESN that Ozzie to Miami is a done deal - that is part of the reason the Marlins manager quit.

Gammons goes on the White Sox are happy as they now don't have to fire him.

DSpivack
06-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Red Sox have a Spanish radio network in Boston - Providence - Hartford and Lowell/Lawrence...and all NESN games carry Spanish on SAP.

Gammons just said on NESN that Ozzie to Miami is a done deal - that is part of the reason the Marlins manager quit.

I assume that would happen in the offseason?

Fenway
06-20-2011, 11:18 PM
I assume that would happen in the offseason?

I would guess - Sox have an option for 2012 but this way there would be no hard feelings

Daver
06-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Cooper was pitching coach in '95, I think. The media guide mentions his earlier stint, but I've never been able to track down exactly how long he was with the big club. I think he came on-board sometime after Lamont got canned. Not sure if he even last until the end of the season. I didn't watch a lot of Sox baseball that summer, but I have no recollection of his time here.

I'm not sure of the year, and I am not going to look it up, he replaced a pitching coach that was fired, and was actually on an interim basis and a replacement was hired before the season was over, as Don told Ron Schueler he did not want the position on a permanent basis. When he came up to replace Nardi it was also as an interim coach, till KW convinced him to take the job, and allowed Don to name Kirk Champion as his replacement as director of minor league pitching.

DSpivack
06-20-2011, 11:34 PM
I would guess - Sox have an option for 2012 but this way there would be no hard feelings

I thought that option was already picked up.

Viva Medias B's
06-20-2011, 11:41 PM

Will this grow legs in the Chicago media tomorrow?

Lip Man 1
06-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Gammons usually isn't one to make a significant comment like this without some damn good reason or sources. This is very interesting.

Lip

PalehosePlanet
06-21-2011, 12:01 AM
I thought that option was already picked up.

So did I, but I'm sure if both sides want out of the deal it shouldn't be a problem to release him out of his contract so he could take the Marlins job.

I hope this is true, btw.

Viva Medias B's
06-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Gammons usually isn't one to make a significant comment like this without some damn good reason or sources. This is very interesting.

Lip

If I'm Mully & Hanley's producer, I get Gammons on the show Tuesday morning to talk about this. Gammons usually appears Fridays.

Noneck
06-21-2011, 12:09 AM

Is this at year end or when?

A. Cavatica
06-21-2011, 12:13 AM
Please be tomorrow.

Please be tomorrow.

Please be tomorrow.

Please be tomorrow.

Please be tomorrow.

Please be tomorrow.

DeadMoney
06-21-2011, 12:15 AM
Please be tomorrow.

Please be tomorrow.

Please be tomorrow.

Please be tomorrow.

Please be tomorrow.

Please be tomorrow.

I'm sitting in my hotel room in Miami right now, and I'd gladly take off work tomorrow to go pick him up from the airport and personally deliver him to the Marlins.

Fenway
06-21-2011, 12:20 AM
My guess is as soon as the season ends and they become the MIAMI Marlins that is when it will happen....

Lip Man 1
06-21-2011, 12:32 AM
Of course didn't Gammons say the Sox also contacted Ken Macha?

I don't remember if it was him or someone else...obviously that didn't come to pass.

Lip

Noneck
06-21-2011, 12:37 AM
A lot can happen by year end, if its not soon, then who knows how it will play out.

JB98
06-21-2011, 01:26 AM
Of course didn't Gammons say the Sox also contacted Ken Macha?

I don't remember if it was him or someone else...obviously that didn't come to pass.

Lip

It was Gammons. And as soon as those Macha rumors surfaced, the Sox produced a 6-3 West Coast road trip and quieted the speculation at least in the short run.

Fenway
06-21-2011, 01:37 AM
It was Gammons. And as soon as those Macha rumors surfaced, the Sox produced a 6-3 West Coast road trip and quieted the speculation at least in the short run.

Macha was indeed contacted - but Gammo's sense is unless the WS make playoffs and make a run, this will be a save face all around.

Loria doesn't care about the Florida Marlins - Miami Marlins is another story.

Viva Medias B's
06-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Macha was indeed contacted - but Gammo's sense is unless the WS make playoffs and make a run, this will be a save face all around.

Loria doesn't care about the Florida Marlins - Miami Marlins is another story.

You mean the Marlins moving to the Orange Bowl site will make Loria a competent owner? If Ozzie thinks he and KW have a rough relationship, that would be nothing compared to an Ozzie-Loria relationship.

hawkjt
06-21-2011, 12:01 PM
The Sox have extended Ozzie thru 2012,and have an option for 2013.
The Marlins would have to trade for Ozzie at the end of this season.

I certainly hope that JR and Kenny recognize that Ozzie is an asset and if he is determined to leave,that they get something for that asset.

I cannot wait til Ozzie is replaced by a Macha type,and when they recede into true mediocrity,this board will be ready to burn him also.

Like it or not, Ozzie is the face of White Sox baseball,and when he goes away,so will some of the attention,and fans.
Jerry Manual is available...if the scorch marks are healed from his last time at the helm.

sox1970
06-21-2011, 12:03 PM
I would like to see Ozzie take his talents to South Beach.

He can take Joey Cora with him.

beasly213
06-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Saying this is a "Done Deal" is freaking ridiculious and horrible reporting. It's not even the All Star Break and yet Ozzie being gone next year is "done". Please. So if the White Sox go on a run and make the playoffs then even win a playoff series all of a sudden Ozzie is for sure gone? I call Bull ****.

#1swisher
06-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Guillen spoke with JR before the Crosstown Cup.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/06/21/report-guillen-could-leave-white-sox-if-he-doesnt-feel-wanted/

Lip Man 1
06-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Bease:

I was told Gammons also implied that the only thing that could change this was if the Sox "made the playoffs and had a deep run..." so he's at least acknowledging that possibility (remote as it may be...)

---------------------------------------------------

Two things that I haven't seen discussed or written about anywhere yet needs to be mentioned in all this:

1. Ozzie has a big ego. Would Loria give him the money and the years he thinks he deserves? Remember despite Ozzie's bluster he's made the post season one time since 2005 and wasn't around in it for very long.

2. How many times have Sox fans heard or read Ozzie say something like this? "This is the big leagues, we're here to win, teaching is for the minor leagues..." The Marlins under Loria have had whatever success they've had by developing minor league kids. I'm convinced because Ozzie has said this so often that he honestly believes what he says...which is partially why this team is so bad at fundamentals. The staff can't teach it properly. Considering the Marlins organizational philosophy and their aversion to signing free agents, think Ozzie going there is a good fit?

It may not be a given everything involved.

Lip

Dibbs
06-21-2011, 01:07 PM
It's time. It's been time. Bye bye Ozzie.

DSpivack
06-21-2011, 01:07 PM
The Sox have extended Ozzie thru 2012,and have an option for 2013.
The Marlins would have to trade for Ozzie at the end of this season.

I certainly hope that JR and Kenny recognize that Ozzie is an asset and if he is determined to leave,that they get something for that asset.

I cannot wait til Ozzie is replaced by a Macha type,and when they recede into true mediocrity,this board will be ready to burn him also.

Like it or not, Ozzie is the face of White Sox baseball,and when he goes away,so will some of the attention,and fans.
Jerry Manual is available...if the scorch marks are healed from his last time at the helm.

The extension was through this season, the option is for 2012. The team picked up that option in January.

Soxman219
06-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Thanks for 2005, Ozzie. I'll never forget it, but it's time to leave.

Sox
06-21-2011, 07:56 PM
I'll believe it when I read it.

SI1020
06-21-2011, 09:55 PM
What has the last 5 years of Sox baseball been? If that's not true mediocrity then I'd hate to see what is.

Vernam
06-21-2011, 10:14 PM
I like how Cowley (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/cowley/6074231-452/if-ozzie-guillen-doesnt-feel-wanted-by-white-sox-he-might-bolt.html) pimps so shamelessly for Ozzie. "Better get the checkbook out, Jerry. You're making a big mistake, you're going to be irrelevant, blah, blah." :rolleyes: What a hump.

If this team doesn't make the playoffs, Ozzie deserves to be fired. The Marlins could spare us all an ugly spectacle by hiring him first. I hope we win the World Series instead and are stuck with Ozzie for another five years. But the possibility seems . . . remote.

Vernam

russ99
06-21-2011, 10:19 PM
What has the last 5 years of Sox baseball been? If that's not true mediocrity then I'd hate to see what is.

Some of us have very short memories. At least those of us who have been here well before 2005.

Lip Man 1
06-22-2011, 01:35 AM
Russ:

Five years is a lifetime in major league baseball, this is Chicago...not Pittsburgh, Kansas City or Cleveland.

Sox fans should expect a HELL of a lot more from a franchise that has practically every advantage you could want over the rest of the teams in the division.

Market size, population base, advertising opportunities, radio - TV rights money...every thing you can want.

Yet somehow they can't dominate a weak-ass division like the Indians did in the 90's and the Twins in the decade of the 00's.

"What have you done for me lately" is the operating mantra. (as well it should be)

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2011, 06:45 AM
Lip, I think the Sox fail to dominate the division, despite those advantages, because JR values loyalty over performance.

It must be great to work for JR, because all you have to do is remain loyal, and you probably have a job for life.

Fenway
06-22-2011, 07:57 AM
Lip, I think the Sox fail to dominate the division, despite those advantages, because JR values loyalty over performance.

It must be great to work for JR, because all you have to do is remain loyal, and you probably have a job for life.

We have seen in hockey what a house cleaning can do. Bill Wirtz just kept the same people and nothing changed. Rocky (and McDonough) cleaned house (Rocky just sent many old Hawks employees to the booze size)

Jeremy Jacobs did the same with the Bruins and it took his son to tell him you have to get rid of Harry Sinden and his people.

The White Sox farm system is a mess even though they pay people very well. Having everything clustered in the Southeast has NOT worked. Most teams today try to have at least one minor club close to the parent club.

But JR won't change now - a lot depends you will become Chairman when JR passes - many believe it will be Einhorn's daughter who is working in a major job with MLB.

Viva Medias B's
06-22-2011, 09:20 AM
We have seen in hockey what a house cleaning can do. Bill Wirtz just kept the same people and nothing changed. Rocky (and McDonough) cleaned house (Rocky just sent many old Hawks employees to the booze size)

Jeremy Jacobs did the same with the Bruins and it took his son to tell him you have to get rid of Harry Sinden and his people.

The White Sox farm system is a mess even though they pay people very well. Having everything clustered in the Southeast has NOT worked. Most teams today try to have at least one minor club close to the parent club.

But JR won't change now - a lot depends you will become Chairman when JR passes - many believe it will be Einhorn's daughter who is working in a major job with MLB.

KW = Bob Pulford

I imagine Michael Reinsdorf will be the one to assume control of the franchise after Jerry retires or passes. In fact, Michael is already running the Bulls' day-to-day operations as the President and COO of the Bulls.

Fenway brings up a major point with the minor leagues. I don't like them concentrated in the Southeast either. We should have one of our Single A ballclubs in the Midwest League like the Cubs, Cardinals, Twins, Indians, Tigers, and Brewers do.

Fenway
06-22-2011, 09:28 AM
Michael is never mentioned with the baseball side.

Einhorn could very well own as much or more of the team than JR - but he wanted to keep his family in New York.

JR became 'chairman' as Eddie was too in your face east coast for the Midwest. The key word is 'chairman'.

Eddie's daughter is very highly placed in Selig's office so she could be indeed the next generation.

KW = Bob Pulford

I imagine Michael Reinsdorf will be the one to assume control of the franchise after Jerry retires or passes. In fact, Michael is already running the Bulls' day-to-day operations as the President and COO of the Bulls.

Fenway brings up a major point with the minor leagues. I don't like them concentrated in the Southeast either. We should have one of our Single A ballclubs in the Midwest League like the Cubs, Cardinals, Twins, Indians, Tigers, and Brewers do.

Lip Man 1
06-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Viva:

The last public comments I watched on the subject of post JR ownership came from the man himself when he was on Chicago Tonight. Bob Sirott asked him about it and he specifically said no one in his family wanted to run the franchise after he got out.

That may change but his comments are consistent with what I've heard from folks over the years, in fact I heard from a former employee (not Roland) that his wife has been urging him to sell and get out for years without success (from her standpoint...)

It really is the million dollar question. The newspapers' sports departments have interally asked themselves the same question and no one has an answer for it right now. Who takes over when JR is gone?

Lip

Fenway
06-22-2011, 12:04 PM
http://www.jigsaw.com/scid14007824/jennifer_einhorn.xhtml?ver=5

Viva:

The last public comments I watched on the subject of post JR ownership came from the man himself when he was on Chicago Tonight. Bob Sirott asked him about it and he specifically said no one in his family wanted to run the franchise after he got out.

That may change but his comments are consistent with what I've heard from folks over the years, in fact I heard from a former employee (not Roland) that his wife has been urging him to sell and get out for years without success (from her standpoint...)

It really is the million dollar question. The newspapers' sports departments have interally asked themselves the same question and no one has an answer for it right now. Who takes over when JR is gone?

Lip

Lip Man 1
06-22-2011, 02:05 PM
And that means what exactly? Someone in media is qualified to own and run a MLB franchise?

I'm passing along the last public comment that I've seen on the subject coming from the best source you could possibly have, the man himself. . Can it change...certainly...will it change, again personal opinion I don't think so.

When JR leaves the scene the Reinsdorf family goes with it as far as the White Sox are concerned.

Lip

Fenway
06-22-2011, 02:10 PM
And that means what exactly? Someone in media is qualified to own and run a MLB franchise?

I'm passing along the last public comment that I've seen on the subject. Can it change...certainly...will it change, again personal opinion I don't think so.

When JR leaves the scene the Reinsdorf family goes with it as far as the White Sox are concerned.

Lip

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_R2yHiPgsajA/Sd6hABBCh0I/AAAAAAAABUA/Yg-NMvGY4VE/s400/eddie+einhorn+white+sox+owner+1983.bmp

If JR does sell his share - then you HAVE to assume the Einhorn family will call the shots...

getonbckthr
06-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Viva:

Lip
Im willing to be adopted by JR and change my last name to Reinsdorf and run the team...:D: