PDA

View Full Version : Jndjans Fire Hitting Coach

FielderJones
06-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Unusual for a first place team to do this (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110619&content_id=20718242&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb). Now we'll get to see if changing hitting coaches mid-season works as well as WSI thinks it will.

thomas35forever
06-19-2011, 02:49 PM
And yet Greg Walker still has a job.

JermaineDye05
06-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Indians hit a slump this year and they let go their hitting coach.

The Sox have been slumping offensively since 2005 and Greg Walker is still here.

SI1020
06-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Unusual for a first place team to do this (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110619&content_id=20718242&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb). Now we'll get to see if changing hitting coaches mid-season works as well as WSI thinks it will. Whether or not it works for the Indians means nothing to the White Sox.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2011, 07:21 PM
Everyone in the division better watch their rear ends for the Twins. Won again Sunday, 14-3 in June I believe with half the team on the DL.

Absolutely astonishing how they pull that **** seemingly every damn season.

Lip

Red Barchetta
06-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Hello Jerry?!

Hello Kenny?!

Anyone there?!

Red Barchetta
06-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Everyone in the division better watch their rear ends for the Twins. Won again Sunday, 14-3 in June I believe with half the team on the DL.

Absolutely astonishing how they pull that **** seemingly every damn season.

Lip

What is also absolutely astonishing is how after they pull that **** every season, they get swept out of the playoffs. I really hate that team. If they actually won a World Series or even a playoff series, I have would have more respect for them. The SOX had a better record than the Twins in 2010 except when they played the Twins, which cost them the division.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Red:

As has been discussed in various threads here at WSI from time to time, I'd love to see the Sox get swept out of the playoffs as often as the Twins have...that means the Sox actually got into them.

As far as the postseason it's all about matchup's. The Twins always seem to draw the Yankees. I suspect if the Sox had the same draw, they'd probably have the same results.

To me getting swept out of the playoffs isn't grounds for scorn... at least they got there.

Lip

Daver
06-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Red:

As has been discussed in various threads here at WSI from time to time, I'd love to see the Sox get swept out of the playoffs as often as the Twins have...that means the Sox actually got into them.

As far as the postseason it's all about matchup's. The Twins always seem to draw the Yankees. I suspect if the Sox had the same draw, they'd probably have the same results.

To me getting swept out of the playoffs isn't grounds for scorn... at least they got there.

The Twins are never willing to spend some talent to get the player that puts them in a better playoff position, mostly due to paying a higher price at the deadline than you would in the off season for the most part. If they ever choose to change that philosophy they may achieve more playoff success.

Soxfest
06-19-2011, 07:47 PM
And yet Greg Walker still has a job.
And will forever!...........In JR land.

Zakath
06-19-2011, 08:09 PM
What is also absolutely astonishing is how after they pull that **** every season, they get swept out of the playoffs.

It's not that astonishing. They're well coached in the fundamentals, so even with less talent they can beat a more talented team that makes mistakes.

In the playoffs, they usually run into more talented teams that aren't making mistakes, and as such get the **** beaten out of them repeatedly.

06-19-2011, 10:36 PM
What is also absolutely astonishing is how after they pull that **** every season, they get swept out of the playoffs. I really hate that team. If they actually won a World Series or even a playoff series, I have would have more respect for them. The SOX had a better record than the Twins in 2010 except when they played the Twins, which cost them the division.

Not really. Luck can only get you so far.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2011, 11:00 PM
1989:

There's an old saying, if something happens once, it's luck...twice, it's a coincidence, three times? It's called a trend.

You don't get lucky over the course of 162 games, it may happens once in a blue moon but generally you get what you deserve over that many games. Minnesota is a lot of things...lucky isn't one of them. Not with as many times as they've made the postseason.

Lip

Red Barchetta
06-19-2011, 11:03 PM
Red:

Lip

Although I can appreciate the argument, I would rather the SOX have success like the Florida Marlins and win two WS Championships via the Wildcard (1997 & 2003) over 8 years than the Atlanta Braves and their 14-consecutive division titles while only winning the World Series once during the run (1995).

06-19-2011, 11:06 PM
1989:

There's an old saying, if something happens once, it's luck...twice, it's a coincidence, three times? It's called a trend.

You don't get lucky over the course of 162 games, it may happens once in a blue moon but generally you get what you deserve over that many games. Minnesota is a lot of things...lucky isn't one of them. Not with as many times as they've made the postseason.

Lip

You can only overachieve so much and win so many 1-run games before you leave nothing left in the tank for the playoffs. They should really working on saving some for when it counts.

Daver
06-19-2011, 11:09 PM
You can only overachieve so much and win so many 1-run games before you leave nothing left in the tank for the playoffs. They should really working on saving some for when it counts.

You don't win one run games on luck only, you win them by playing fundamental baseball better than your opponent, and no one does that better than the Twins.

06-19-2011, 11:24 PM
I guarnatee you Gardenhire spends more time before the game instructing the team to take more infield practice and work on their drag bunts than he does reading that big binder the scouting department put on his desk.

The twins under Gardenhire bunt way too much (hard nosed!) and play for one run when they need 3. A losing proposition. They're living on borrowed time.

PKalltheway
06-19-2011, 11:49 PM
There's an old saying, if something happens once, it's luck...
2006 Division Series: A's sweep Twins, 3-0

twice, it's a coincidence,
2009 Division Series: Yankees sweep Twins, 3-0

three times? It's called a trend.
2010 Division Series: Yankees sweep Twins, 3-0

The Twins are a postseason punchline.

I want the Sox to be fundamentally sound, and win in the playoffs.

Daver
06-19-2011, 11:49 PM
The twins under Gardenhire bunt way too much (hard nosed!) and play for one run when they need 3. A losing proposition. They're living on borrowed time.

For almost a decade?

Allrightythen.

SOXSINCE'70
06-20-2011, 08:23 AM
The Twins are the dog, the Sox are the fire hydrant the dog pees on.:angry:

"Nuff said.:(:

C-Dawg
06-20-2011, 09:43 AM
I really hate that team. If they actually won a World Series or even a playoff series, I have would have more respect for them.

Well, two championships in recent memory ain't too shabby, but those have been totally eclipsed by their postseason struggles since then.

kaufsox
06-20-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm totally with Lip on this one. I'd rather get in the playoffs and lose than not get in at all. If recent memory serves, the Twins weren't the better team in those playoff defeats. I mean it wasn't the greatest upset ever for the Yankees to advance and the Twins to go home.

VenturaFan23
06-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Indians hit a slump this year and they let go their hitting coach.

The Sox have been slumping offensively since 2005 and Greg Walker is still here.

No kidding. I wonder if the Indians blamed the weather first before they pulled the trigger.

06-20-2011, 11:42 AM
For almost a decade?

Allrightythen.

A decade of scraping by and getting their doors blown off in the playoffs. It's a self-imposed ceiling. Previously, at least they had Mauer and Morneau to rely on. Right now, we don't even know what's holding their team together. They've recently rattled off a serious winning streak...and they are still 9 under .500.

And for all the talk about their fantastic fundamentals, you have Nick Punto getting thrown out stupidly over rounding third, Danny Valencia bobbling balls, and Joe Mauer failing to throw anyone out in crucial spots in the playoffs.

PatK
06-20-2011, 12:26 PM

2005 White Sox say what?

06-20-2011, 12:48 PM
2005 White Sox say what?

You've insulted the 2005 team by comparing them to these twins teams.

Oblong
06-20-2011, 12:59 PM
I hate defending the Twins but in 2002 and 2003 they lost to a team that won and made it to the WS. In 2009 they got swept by the Yankees who won 103 games and went on to win the WS and went 11-4 in the post season. The first game of the ALDS was the afternoon after game 163.

But I'll grant that 2006 against the A's was a real stinker for them.

I love seeing their playoff futility as much as anyone but in several years I see it as them just plainly losing to a better team. I do not believe it has anything to do with the manager or style of play or even the players ( how many from the 2004 team were on the 2009 or 2010 teams?)

PatK
06-20-2011, 03:39 PM
You've insulted the 2005 team by comparing them to these twins teams.

Sox led the majors in 1 run games and somehow "saved" something for the playoffs.

06-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Sox led the majors in 1 run games and somehow "saved" something for the playoffs.

You're comparing the Sox overachieving in one year versus the twins' reliance on one-run victories and overachieving for almost a decade.

When a team like the twins is built on winning games by 1 run, then sooner or later it will catch up to you due to the small margin of error that you give yourself. For them, it just happens to be in playoffs.

SI1020
06-20-2011, 06:18 PM
You're comparing the Sox overachieving in one year versus the twins' reliance on one-run victories and overachieving for almost a decade.

When a team like the twins is built on winning games by 1 run, then sooner or later it will catch up to you due to the small margin of error that you give yourself. For them, it just happens to be in playoffs. I don't that's it at all. They're good enough to get the most out of their talent to be strong in their weak division, but when it's time to play the likes of the Yankees in the playoffs they fall short.

HebrewHammer
06-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Unusual for a first place team to do this (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110619&content_id=20718242&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb). Now we'll get to see if changing hitting coaches mid-season works as well as WSI thinks it will.

He must have brought the wrong kind of pretzels to the poker game. I can't imagine another reason why a hitting coach would be fired.

infohawk
06-24-2011, 02:40 PM
I remember when the Indians were struggling in 2005. I attended a game in April or May right after they fired their hitting coach then. They went on to come from way back to almost overtake the Sox. Now I don't know how much the new hitting coach actually impacted the club that season, but the Indians sure aren't afraid to make a change when they struggle.