PDA

View Full Version : Roberto Alomar to LA?

Jerry_Manuel
07-09-2002, 06:46 PM
SportsCenter just reported that Mets GM Steve Phillips is mulling over an offer from LA for Roberto Alomar.

LA would get Roberto, while the Mets would get Omar Daal and Adrian Beltre.

Would anyone trade Durham for Daal?

MarkEdward
07-09-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
SportsCenter just reported that Mets GM Steve Phillips is mulling over an offer from LA for Roberto Alomar.

LA would get Roberto, while the Mets would get Omar Daal and Adrian Beltre.

Would anyone trade Durham for Daal?

I'd rather take Durham for prospects over Durham for Daal. I'd take Daal-Beltre for Durham in a heartbeat, though.

duke of dorwood
07-09-2002, 08:28 PM
Thats why he will go to LA before Ray.

Chisoxfn
07-09-2002, 08:54 PM
How about we give the Dodgers Jose, Ray, and Bobby Howry for Guillermo Mota, Adrian Beltre, and Omar Daal. I doubt they would give us Mota, but considering we'd give them Jose to fill the void for Beltre and Ray to replace Grudzalanek they may just consider it.

MattSharp
07-09-2002, 09:32 PM
I am confused. Everyone here bitches about Crede not getting a chance to play and now you are saying you would trade for another young 3B? Thats a bit hypocritical especially since Beltre isn't that great. I would be interested in Daal though, but I fear he would be Todd Ritchie part 2. I would still, however, take him for Ray straight up unless something better came along.

Chisoxfn
07-09-2002, 10:45 PM
I like Crede and just because we acquire Adrian Beltre doesn't mean we have to keep him. He is a young player who has pretty high trade value that we could move to improve at another position.

Jerry_Manuel
07-09-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
I like Crede and just because we acquire Adrian Beltre doesn't mean we have to keep him. He is a young player who has pretty high trade value that we could move to improve at another position.

I don't like the idea of Williams trading players.

idseer
07-09-2002, 11:15 PM

sounds suspiciously like the reason we got royce!

Jerry_Manuel
07-09-2002, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by idseer
sounds suspiciously like the reason we got royce!

Yeah, but Beltran isn't a guy that has a bad reputation around the league. It wouldn't be impossible to move him.

doublem23
07-09-2002, 11:59 PM

Yeah, but Beltran isn't a guy that has a bad reputation around the league. It wouldn't be impossible to move him.

That, and he doesn't suck!

longshot7
07-10-2002, 12:28 AM
As a Dodger fan as well, I thought I'd add my $.02

Beltre is not worth it - and Daal, even tho he has flashes of brillance, isn't either, at least not for Durham.

But for Alomar... I do it, altho I wonder who plays 3rd for LA then. not to mention LA doesn't have anyone else to fil Daal's spot in the rotation, with Brown still out.

I'm sorry, despite the standings, Dan Evans is still an idiot.

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by longshot7
As a Dodger fan as well, I thought I'd add my $.02

Beltre is not worth it - and Daal, even tho he has flashes of brillance, isn't either, at least not for Durham.

But for Alomar... I do it, altho I wonder who plays 3rd for LA then. not to mention LA doesn't have anyone else to fil Daal's spot in the rotation, with Brown still out.

How much is Durham really worth at this point? He's a free agent and there is a strike looming, if Williams can get a pitcher out of it, why not?

I really don't pay attention to what Evans does. So I can't really decide either way.

Tragg
07-10-2002, 12:43 AM
I would go for a nice young shortstop.

soxtalker
07-10-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
I would go for a nice young shortstop.

At this point, I'd go for that proverbial draft selection -- the best available (minor league) player(s).

Moving Durham allows us to move Crede up to the major-league
level. That works for any of the other infielders, but Durham may be the most marketable.

soxtalker
07-10-2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by longshot7

Interesting! Tell us more of your rationale.

Also, is there an equivalent Dodger site to this board that would give us any insight as to how other fans think Evans is doing and what their needs are (since they keep coming up on this board as possible trade partners)?

Chisoxfn
07-10-2002, 06:21 PM
If we are going to trade Ray, Lofton, and Jose I'd look for a young starting pitcher as well as a shortstop in return. We don't have much in the minors and I don't care what anyone else says, I'm not convinced Hummel can play short. Heck, right now he needs to get his bat back in gear. The Braves have depth in Wilson Betemeit. The angels have a guy they really like in AAA(Almazar is what I think his name is) and they have Eckstein and Kennedy at 2nd and short who are doing good. I'm sure a couple other teams have some decent shortstop prospects as well.

Then again, who knows what we'll do cause I just don't know with KW. I don't doubt he knows baseball, I just doubt he knows how to be a gm and how to negotiate. If he learns then I'm ok, but I need to see improvement and the first step will be to see us make some good trades.

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 06:42 PM
If we are going to trade Ray, Lofton, and Jose I'd look for a young starting pitcher as well as a shortstop in return. We don't have much in the minors and I don't care what anyone else says, I'm not convinced Hummel can play short.

Then again, who knows what we'll do cause I just don't know with KW. I don't doubt he knows baseball, I just doubt he knows how to be a gm and how to negotiate. If he learns then I'm ok, but I need to see improvement and the first step will be to see us make some good trades.

Their not going to trade Jose. The only way we'll know Hummel can handle it is to let him play it.

The next few years are big for Williams. He needs to learn how to talk with other GM's and negotiate better. In 2 or 3 years down the road if he still hasn't figured it out, then you have trouble.

Iguana775
07-10-2002, 08:26 PM

Their not going to trade Jose. The only way we'll know Hummel can handle it is to let him play it.

The next few years are big for Williams. He needs to learn how to talk with other GM's and negotiate better. In 2 or 3 years down the road if he still hasn't figured it out, then you have trouble.

it may be too late by then. :(