PDA

View Full Version : Jake Peavy's quote of the night

Lip Man 1
06-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Say what you will about him health wise but he clearly understands the game:

"But the roller-coaster ride has been because a lack of fundamentals has let us down here and there, whether it be moving a guy over, whether it's (pitchers') slide-stepping (to slow runners). It's just fundamentals from all players ó offensively, defensively, pitching."

Still begs the question... WHY are the Sox fundamentals so awful for at least the past five years? Are the players, "baseball-stupid"? Are the coaches simply not able to teach things things? Both??

There has to be a reason.

Lip

johnny bench
06-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Hmmm. Peavy post season record 0-2. Post season ERA (which we all know is irrelevant) = 12.10

Sure. I trust his analysis.

KnightSox
06-18-2011, 11:46 PM
Hmmm. Peavy post season record 0-2. Post season ERA (which we all know is irrelevant) = 12.10

Sure. I trust his analysis.What lacked accuracy about what he said?

SI1020
06-18-2011, 11:47 PM

Sure. I trust his analysis. I hope I'm not misinterpreting you but what the hell does that have to do with his ability to analyze the game?

HaroMaster87
06-18-2011, 11:54 PM

I LOVE how certain posters here will cherry-pick stats (with no relation to the topic of the statement) of a player who says something just to try and disprove his statement.

Like what Peavy said is false because his play-off ERA is high...based on 2 friggin' starts...:scratch:

Foulke You
06-19-2011, 12:06 AM
I LOVE how certain posters here will cherry-pick stats (with no relation to the topic of the statement) of a player who says something just to try and disprove his statement.

Like what Peavy said is false because his play-off ERA is high...based on 2 friggin' starts...:scratch:
Yeah, I don't see how Peavy's postseason stats are relevant to the conversation that Lip brought up.

delben91
06-19-2011, 01:16 AM

"But the roller-coaster ride has been because a lack of fundamentals has let us down here and there, whether it be moving a guy over, whether it's (pitchers') slide-stepping (to slow runners). It's just fundamentals from all players ó offensively, defensively, pitching."

Still begs the question... WHY are the Sox fundamentals so awful for at least the past five years? Are the players, "baseball-stupid"? Are the coaches simply not able to teach things things? Both??

Lip

I guess my question is why supposedly baseball-smart players turn so baseball-stupid as soon as they join the Sox.

Like or hate the term "grinder", but Pierre was a player that got the most out of the ability he had prior to coming to the Sox. Ditto Vizquel, and supposedly Beckham was a field-general type at Georgia.

They put on the Sox colors and lose their entire baseball IQ? Sure seems like it.

And if the culprit is the coaches, shouldn't these supposedly baseball-intelligent players see through the bad advice and keep up with what they've been doing to have success in the past?

kufram
06-19-2011, 10:35 AM

Lip

Fundamentals are by their nature basic baseball skills that, surely, all players should have a knowledge of and the ability to execute long before they reach the major leagues. These are things learned in Little League, High School, College, and minor leagues by daily drills and practice. They should not and even cannot be just forgotten. If the stress is on fundamentals then I don't see how players can be so bad at them unless they either never developed them in the first place, which I don't believe, or they are not practicing them enough on a regular basis and hence they don't show up during a game. I suspect the latter.

Any good sportsman needs particular skills to be good at what they do. The great ones spend more time honing those skills than anyone else, usually. I'd start at spring training. Drills, drills, and more drills till the players are sick of them but the instincts to make the simple plays are there. It has to be automatic. Once the season has started there simply isn't enough time to do anything other than keep them finely tuned before each game.

I don't know the answer to the question but I'd bet it is very simple. Practice.

SephClone89
06-19-2011, 10:45 AM

What the hell?

EMachine10
06-19-2011, 11:14 AM

http://www.gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=1886324&t=o (http://www.gifsoup.com/view/1886324/stewie-head-turn.html)

Red Barchetta
06-19-2011, 11:21 AM
I guess my question is why supposedly baseball-smart players turn so baseball-stupid as soon as they join the Sox.

Like or hate the term "grinder", but Pierre was a player that got the most out of the ability he had prior to coming to the Sox. Ditto Vizquel, and supposedly Beckham was a field-general type at Georgia.

They put on the Sox colors and lose their entire baseball IQ? Sure seems like it.

And if the culprit is the coaches, shouldn't these supposedly baseball-intelligent players see through the bad advice and keep up with what they've been doing to have success in the past?

Probably the same reason players like Beckham had a better swing when they broke into the league than he does now going on his third year of coaching by Greg Walker.

Obviously, any pro baseball player has to have some level of fundamentals ingrained into their game in order to perform at the major league level, however collectively, it's up to the coaching staff to continue to implement those fundamentals.

BigKlu59
06-19-2011, 11:39 AM

Lip

Thats been the question for the ages with this organization. Some or all on here have played this game and know the reason these guys got to this level is they were more proficient than the rest of us in the so called FUNDAMENTAL TALENTS to advance to making a living $$$$$$, at this trade and skill level. Why they suddenly "forget" or go thru the motions,or do **** a little league coach would rip someone a new ******* for, boggles the mind.

I do see glimmers of hope when as last night Walnuts drove one up the middle after swinging for the big fly, after taking two bullets..

Maybe its a bizzare thing as to when they come to the Sox there is something in the turf that makes them go sybil.. Did they once dispose of Lead at 35th and Shields in the 19th century?

Sure, it's plain as day to Peavy and it's plain as day to us.. I know "Chicks dig the long ball", but ther are ways to move guys round the bag and home so you can score at least a run an inning and not crush the stuffing out of the ball.. It would help if we had some baserunners that would drive pitchers bat****,but thats a story for another day..

What sucks in all of this is the amount of quality starts going to waste by the pitching staff.. Blown saves are one thing, but if you cant put up 6 or 7 a game with this line up its time to work the game fron another angle..

BK59

Gavin
06-19-2011, 11:55 AM
True or not, Peavy should keep his mouth shut and work on not getting hurt all the time. He's getting paid a ton of money. What gives him the right to be a critic? If anything, we should be the ones mouthing off since we are the ones paying for this bull****.

hawkjt
06-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Drilling down on Peavy's comment,who are the culprits at not holding runners? Clearly,not MB or Danks. It is Floyd,Jackson,Humber,and...Peavy?
Not sure on how good Peavy has done holding guys..but I doubt that Jackson has changed much since he arrived with the Sox last year..I think he has always been a slow delivery guy. Gavin,same deal, I guess. Not sure about Humber. I think it boils down to Gavin and Edwin. Fix them,Coop.

As for advancing runners, no doubt,a big problem. PK does go to right field with two strikes and a man on third. Alexei never seems to,hence his GIDP number. Juan seems to rarely have guys on to advance,and cannot hit a sac fly deep enough to advance guys. Carlos is in a real funk,and seems to never go oppo. AJ is horrible with guys on base,period. It is like he always wants to get those at bats over ASAP,hence swinging at everything. Alex cannot get the ball elevated,and even his grounders are to the left side usually. Gordo...another funk. Morel is a guy who does go to right field,which I presume is why Ozzie moved him to 2nd.

It is a mess right now,and Walker needs to get the batters to find a happy medium between strictly mashing,and going oppo,a la PK.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Indians just fired their hitting coach today by the way and here is what Ozzie said about Peavy's comments, apparently he agree with them and added this:

ĎĎThe only thing Iím really concerned and where we are really horrible is with men on third base and less than two out. Thatís killing this ballclub all the way from the beginning. I donít know whatís the reason why we canít score the guy from third base with less than two outs.íí

Lip

BigKlu59
06-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Indians just fired their hitting coach today by the way and here is what Ozzie said about Peavy's comments, apparently he agree with them and added this:

ĎĎThe only thing Iím really concerned and where we are really horrible is with men on third base and less than two out. Thatís killing this ballclub all the way from the beginning. I donít know whatís the reason why we canít score the guy from third base with less than two outs.íí

Lip

He better find out... Do his batters have Bleacher Blindness when they step in the box?....An occasional duck snort would suffice,or a long lazy flyball to the track.. They seem to have no problenm doing this and reaching this distance when they are trying to jack one into the stratosphere.. This is what decides good ball clubs from mediocre ones. The winners get men in from 2nd/3rd with less that 2 outs..The losers, well, they find a way for pitchers to look like Cy Young..

BK59

khan
06-19-2011, 10:52 PM
True or not, Peavy should keep his mouth shut and work on not getting hurt all the time. He's getting paid a ton of money. What gives him the right to be a critic? If anything, we should be the ones mouthing off since we are the ones paying for this bull****.

I actually enjoy his honesty. I like that he's been honest about how craptacular this team has been. SOX fans aren't stupid, and [EDIT] we aren't blind. So why lie about it? Why cover up the shortcomings of the team?

Some say that this team has lacked a vocal veteran presence; That is, the type of guy who can call out his peers, and hold them acountable. Perhaps Peavy can be some semblance of that. Who else is going to call out his teammates? Buehrle? Konerko? Abuelo Omar? Moneybags Rios?

While I'll agree that Peavy's first, last, and most pressing responsibilty is to play well, I don't have a problem with anything he's said here.

JermaineDye05
06-19-2011, 11:01 PM

So since Jake isn't paying for the games, he should have no incentive to be a critic?

Give me a break.

The guy wants to win. I don't see any problem pointing out the faults. I'm actually glad there's someone on our team with the guts to actually say it.

Drilling down on Peavy's comment,who are the culprits at not holding runners? Clearly,not MB or Danks. It is Floyd,Jackson,Humber,and...Peavy?
Not sure on how good Peavy has done holding guys..but I doubt that Jackson has changed much since he arrived with the Sox last year..I think he has always been a slow delivery guy. Gavin,same deal, I guess. Not sure about Humber. I think it boils down to Gavin and Edwin. Fix them,Coop.

It boils down to AJ can't get a baserunner out unless they're trying to steal home or the umpire blows a call.

Daver
06-19-2011, 11:05 PM
It boils down to AJ can't get a baserunner out unless they're trying to steal home or the umpire blows a call.

It was common knowledge he couldn't do that before he was signed in 2005, so what point are you trying to make?

JermaineDye05
06-19-2011, 11:08 PM
It was common knowledge he couldn't do that before he was signed in 2005, so what point are you trying to make?

It sounded as if hawkjt was insinuating that teams are running all over us because we have a handful of guys with slow deliveries.

All I'm trying to say is that while that certainly is a contributing factor at times, the real problem is that our catcher really can't throw all that well.

Daver
06-19-2011, 11:14 PM
It sounded as if hawkjt was insinuating that teams are running all over us because we have a handful of guys with slow deliveries.

All I'm trying to say is that while that certainly is a contributing factor at times, the real problem is that our catcher really can't throw all that well.

The White Sox chose to sacrifice offense over defense at the catcher position a long time ago, and everyone that follows this team knows it, to bring it up now is pure 20/20 hindsight at it's finest.

spongyfungy
06-19-2011, 11:56 PM
just a side note : When Cowley filled in for Spiegel, he said he once had a conversation with Thome about how the Twins prepare vs his previous team. The twins organization stresses fundamentals and works on defense like no other and you can't go up through the minors without being fundamentally sound.

Gavin
06-20-2011, 12:09 PM
I actually enjoy his honesty. I like that he's been honest about how craptacular this team has been. SOX fans aren't stupid, and [EDIT] we aren't blind. So why lie about it? Why cover up the shortcomings of the team?

Some say that this team has lacked a vocal veteran presence; That is, the type of guy who can call out his peers, and hold them acountable. Perhaps Peavy can be some semblance of that. Who else is going to call out his teammates? Buehrle? Konerko? Abuelo Omar? Moneybags Rios?

While I'll agree that Peavy's first, last, and most pressing responsibilty is to play well, I don't have a problem with anything he's said here.

In lieu of having an ace pitcher presence, at least he has a dominant vocal veteran presence.

Sunnydre
06-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Speaking of fundamentals, why has speed never been a priority for this team? Sox are last triples, like 20th in doubles, and last in stolen bases.

When every hit is a single, it's easy to see why opur offense looks so putrid at times.

PatK
06-20-2011, 12:24 PM
just a side note : When Cowley filled in for Spiegel, he said he once had a conversation with Thome about how the Twins prepare vs his previous team. The twins organization stresses fundamentals and works on defense like no other and you can't go up through the minors without being fundamentally sound.

The Sox don't have a lot of homegrown talent on their MLB roster. So even if their minor league system emphasizes fundamentals, it doesn't mean that's the case with the big league squad.

khan
06-20-2011, 02:43 PM
In lieu of having an ace pitcher presence, at least he has a dominant vocal veteran presence.

Indeed.

Nowhere in my post does it suggest that his pitching is anything other than Peavy's most pressing priority. In any case, I thank you for following up.

I agree that he has to do more to earn his contract, and to remain healthy. However, I still fail to see any reason why he cannot be honest with respect to this team's performance of the most rudimentary and/or fundamental aspects of the game.

SoxNation05
06-20-2011, 03:00 PM

As for advancing runners, no doubt,a big problem. PK does go to right field with two strikes and a man on third. Alexei never seems to,hence his GIDP number. Juan seems to rarely have guys on to advance,and cannot hit a sac fly deep enough to advance guys. Carlos is in a real funk,and seems to never go oppo. AJ is horrible with guys on base,period. It is like he always wants to get those at bats over ASAP,hence swinging at everything. Alex cannot get the ball elevated,and even his grounders are to the left side usually. Gordo...another funk. Morel is a guy who does go to right field,which I presume is why Ozzie moved him to 2nd.

It is a mess right now,and Walker needs to get the batters to find a happy medium between strictly mashing,and going oppo,a la PK.

You are right to rule out MB, but for a lefty, Danks is bad in the run game.

nsolo
06-21-2011, 09:29 PM

Lip

Teams can fire their hitting coach? Wow.