PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6-18 Danks heads off disaster; Rios, Paulie, Sox bomb Arizona 6-2

Frater Perdurabo
06-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Let's win the series tomorrow, and then come back to Chicago to sweep the north side AAA team.

Honorable mention to Lillibridge for the game-saving non-catch.

soltrain21
06-18-2011, 10:52 PM
I like when they win. They should do it more.

billyvsox
06-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Let's win the series tomorrow, and then come back to Chicago to sweep the north side AAA team.

Honorable mention to Lillibridge for the game-saving non-catch.

Maybe Rios isn't Dunn afterall

GoGoCrede
06-18-2011, 10:53 PM
That was awesome!

Tragg
06-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Bet you had that one typed into your browser in the 6th, Frater. Good one.
Excellent game. Hitting, pitching and d.

Nice to see Thornton hitting those corners, inside and outside tonight.

DickAllen72
Lillibridge saved the game with his near catch keeping the ball inside the park. Let's see how long he has to sit before he gets to start again.

JB98
Nice job tonight. Gotta lot of work to do to get back in the race, though.

veeter
OK. There's one. Try to keep it going.

Frater Perdurabo
06-18-2011, 10:56 PM

Nah, I came up with that title in the top of the ninth. :tongue:

Kind of surprising to get a four-run victory after the game was so close for so long.

billyvsox
Danks also looked good at the plate today. Good all around game, win the series tomorrow behind Ace Humber

soltrain21
I have no doubt Pierre will be back in the lead off spot tomorrow, but I sure as hell hope Ozzie leaves Morel in the two spot for a while.

johnnyg83
06-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Thank you. I can now read the Sunday paper.

Nice job JD

Hitmen77
06-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Sox win! Party at Paulie's 16,000 sq. ft. mansion!!!!!!:bandance::party:

Soxfest
06-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Kudos to Danks much needed W!

tstrike2000
06-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Danks was awesome, especially since he took one off the noggin. Rios gets 21% of his total RBI's in one night. Lillibridge with a potential game saving defensive effort. Nice work all the way around.

Frater Perdurabo
06-18-2011, 11:00 PM
I fully expect a modified Sunday lineup tomorrow, heavy on the lefties to face the rookie RHP Collmenter. AJ and Pierre will start, because they had a night off tonight. Dunn probably plays first because Ozzie wants him to get a start in this series. Teahen probably starts in RF or at 3B.
:(:

BringHomeDaBacon
06-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Lillibridge with yet another big play. Even if he were to play everyday and get "exposed" to the tune of a .240 AVG as some claim, he would STILL be more useful than Juan Pierre.

billyvsox
06-18-2011, 11:05 PM
I fully expect a modified Sunday lineup tomorrow, heavy on the lefties to face the rookie RHP Collmenter. AJ and Pierre will start, because they had a night off tonight. Dunn probably plays first because Ozzie wants him to get a start in this series. Teahen probably starts in RF or at 3B.

No sunday lineup tommorrow Ozzie please!! Go with this:

Lillibridge LF
Morel 3B
Alexei SS
Konerko 1B
Quentin RF
Rios CF
AJ C
Beckham 2B
Humber P

Save the lefties Teahan, Dunn, Pierre to PH or PR (all 3 are defensive liabilities in this park)

October26
06-18-2011, 11:17 PM
I had forgotten what a White sox winner felt like - that was fun-derful! :smile:

PS - I hope Johnny Danks is okay and doesn't have bad headaches afte being hit hard in the back of the head. That was scary.

PalehosePlanet
06-18-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm surprised the offense actually woke up and scored 6 runs. Nice to see.

After Danks pitched out of the jam in the 7th, we had momentum and thankfully Alex finally squared one up and got it in the air.

Hopefully this ends the mini slump and we hit the ball tomorrow too.

FielderJones
06-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Lillibridge with yet another big play. Even if he were to play everyday and get "exposed" to the tune of a .240 AVG as some claim, he would STILL be more useful than Juan Pierre.

A few more 0-5 days and he'll be at the Dunn line.

Nevertheless, he should always come in late for defense. Pierre watches that ball sail over the wall.

SoxSpeed22
06-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Johnny's head was probably spinning after that liner, but good to see him get through 7. He's really been great in interleague play his career.

Foulke You
06-19-2011, 12:11 AM
Nice game. Johnny's skull must be made of steel. I thought that ball would have at least gave him a concussion and he laughs about it and goes out and finishes his start. Biggest hit of the season for Alex Rios and a 4 RBI night for him. We really needed that bad and I hope this game and the new batting stance get him going.

Paul Konerko for AL MVP. I'm sure the national media will be banging the drum for Adrian Gonzalez but nobody has meant more to his team than Konerko this year. I agree with Hawk. This would be a 21 win team right now without Konerko's offensive output.

slavko
06-19-2011, 12:14 AM

You noticed he wasn't centering the ball. Threw only #1's, but moved it around.

A few more 0-5 days and he'll be at the Dunn line.

Nevertheless, he should always come in late for defense. Pierre watches that ball sail over the wall.

I'm not convinced it would have gone over. Maybe. Pierre doesn't get leather on it, also maybe.

tebman
06-19-2011, 12:18 AM
No Pick To Click winner named yet, but no matter. John Danks goes to the head of the class!

The Totally Biased Game Recap (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=4139) is up for your reading and dancing pleasure.

:bandance:

Zisk77
06-19-2011, 12:23 AM
Danks be to to God that Drew liner didn't leave an exit wound. Paulie still giving me a Bonerko!:redneck

HarryChappas
06-19-2011, 12:28 AM
No Dunn. No Pierre. We Win!!!

ShooterMcGavin
06-19-2011, 12:28 AM
My lone, possibly alcohol-influenced post of the night: I don't think Juan Pierre makes that non-catch. Juan would probably crash into the wall face first and the Sox would lose the game. Thank you, gnight.

Paulie, your table is ready.

Alex Rios, I did not see that coming; in fact, I incorrectly predicted GIDP. Your table is also ready. Alex also had a nice sliding catch.

KRS1
06-19-2011, 12:47 AM
This game was a thousand times more fun to be at than yesterdays, obviously. I was pretty much directly seated between PK and Alex's bombs and there were quite a few Sox fans in my section giving out high fives.

thomas35forever
06-19-2011, 12:48 AM
Glad tonight's game turned out well. It was scary at times, but we weathered the storm well. With Humber pitching tomorrow, I like our chances.

TomBradley72
06-19-2011, 01:05 AM
One of the better games they've played since they left Boston.

Very balanced performance-

Lillibridge's "near catch"- no way does Pierre make the same play
Rios with a nice catch and the huge 3 run HR
Morel's diving stop and a double
Ramirez with 3 hits including a double
PK's homer
Danks + Crain + Thornton
Guillen with some interesting line up adjustments- Morel in the #2 and Ramirez down the order- looks good after 1 game.
Hope Morel gets the start tomorrow as well as Vizquel at 2nd.

Pierre is only hitting in the .230's vs. righties- it won't happen but I'd like to see Lillibridge with another start. Hell- I'd take Teahen in left over Pierre.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-19-2011, 01:11 AM
Nice win for DanKKKKKKKs tonight. It would be really nice to get that series winner tomorrow. Still no clue as to why Dunn is getting a chance over Quentin. Time for him to prove all those doubters wrong.

TDog
06-19-2011, 02:24 AM

Pierzynski will be catching, of course. Pierre will probably start over Lillibridge, and, really, he has outperformed Lillibridge offensively in the starting lineup of late. Maybe Vizquel will get a start. As hot as Konerko is, I don't see Dunn starting over him. I really don't see Dunn starting in left, especially not in Arizona. It's a ballpark built for triples, even in left. Dunn doesn't have any history against Collmenter and is probably best suited as a bat off the bench.

Collmenter may be considered a no-name rookie by some at WSI, but he has pitched incredibly well this season. In four of his seven starts, he hasn't allowed any runs. Until the Giants got to him for five runs in a start this week, he hadn't allowed more than two runs in any start. Only in a three-inning relief appearance in April has he given up any unearned runs.

I have one question about tonight's game. Why did Kirk Gibson pinch-hit for Owings in the seventh? As it turned it, the game turned on that decision. Owings struck out with the tying and go-ahead runs in scoring postion to end the inning before going out and giving up three runs in the eighth to put the game away for the Sox. Hernandez has been pitching just as well in relief as Owings has recently. It wasn't as if Owings was the starter. It wasn't as if the game was tied.

And it isn't as if a pinch hitter would have won the game in that situation. I'm guessing that someone was ready to come in for Danks to get the last out of the inning, and the odds would have been with the Sox with two outs. It just seems an odd move by Gibson. It was as if he was determined to leave his pitcher in the game until he gave up a hit to Rios.

Overall, it was an impressive start by Danks, who only gave up the runs set up by the freak infield double that would have knocked out (literally) many pitchers. Konerko had a good night. Rios had a good night. Ramirez had a good night.

I hope Humber has a good day Sunday. Diamondbacks fans probably consider him a no-name pitcher.

Nellie_Fox
06-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Dunn is playing right field tomorrow (http://whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110618&content_id=20684506&notebook_id=20688368&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws), TCQ gets the day off.

DonnieDarko
06-19-2011, 02:52 AM
Dunn is playing right field tomorrow (http://whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110618&content_id=20684506&notebook_id=20688368&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws), TCQ gets the day off.

Oh no. No. No no no. Nonononononononononononononononononononononononono !

PeteWard
06-19-2011, 03:36 AM

It is not just the lack of D that bothers me; I am worried about an injury just as he seems to be sort of snapping out of his funk.

LITTLE NELL
06-19-2011, 07:24 AM
The Bridge saved another HR but it looks like he is not the hitter we hoped he would be. I would like to see the Tank in RF, TCQ in LF and Rios in CF with the Bridge as a late inning defensive sub with an occasional start, Pierre would make a fine bat boy. The trouble is who bats lead-off, maybe Alexei.

October26
06-19-2011, 08:15 AM
I have one question about tonight's game. Why did Kirk Gibson pinch-hit for Owings in the seventh? As it turned it, the game turned on that decision. Owings struck out with the tying and go-ahead runs in scoring postion to end the inning before going out and giving up three runs in the eighth to put the game away for the Sox. Hernandez has been pitching just as well in relief as Owings has recently. It wasn't as if Owings was the starter. It wasn't as if the game was tied.

And it isn't as if a pinch hitter would have won the game in that situation. I'm guessing that someone was ready to come in for Danks to get the last out of the inning, and the odds would have been with the Sox with two outs. It just seems an odd move by Gibson. It was as if he was determined to leave his pitcher in the game until he gave up a hit to Rios.

TDog: I wondered the same thing. I have no idea why Gibson didn't use a pinch hitter there. On the radio broadcast, Farmer & DJ mentioned something about Owings being a pretty good hitter (I have no stats). I'm glad Gibson didn't use a pinch hitter as that turned out well for the Sox.

kevingrt
06-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Love Alexei in the 5 hole as he is swinging the second hottest bat in the Sox line-up next to PK.

SI1020
06-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Owings is a lifetime .288 hitter with 9 HR and 34 RBI's in 191 AB. I saw him hit two homers against the Braves in 2007. I don't know who Gibson had on the bench to pinch hit for him in the 7th, not being that familiar with the current D Backs.

JimmyJames
06-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Love Alexei in the 5 hole as he is swinging the second hottest bat in the Sox line-up next to PK.

I was totally wondering about this and then Alexei goes 3/4 so I'll just say that was a nice move, leave him there. Brent's not swinging the bat particularly well but his play in the OF merits another chance. Dunn in RF? Seriously? This will be interesting.

*two cents*

TomBradley72
06-19-2011, 10:36 AM

I do not understand the logic of this move at all- Dunn will play every day for the next week with the White Sox at home- why the desperation to get him in the line up today?

IF you are going to play him- why the outfield when he hasn't played there in 2 years?

IF you are going to play him in the outfield- why RF with Humber pitching- when the DBacks are likely to lean towards lefty hitters? Plus a large outfield like the one in Arizona-

The ball will find him-

BigKlu59
06-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Oh no. No. No no no. Nonononononononononononononononononononononononono !

Is this Ozzie's Greg Luzinski experiment?...Maybe trying to bring "The Bull" out of Dunn... Nice game by Rios... had me happily rubbing my eyes and pinching myself to see if I hadnt fallen asleep and was dreaming this stuff up...

As has been said.. Wow, that one felt good. It's nice when this jalopy is running on all cylinders.. Hope Johnny D aint seeing double today. That smack in the bean looked brutal.. Purple Heart stuff in my books..

BK59

hawkjt
06-19-2011, 12:11 PM
I do not understand the logic of this move at all- Dunn will play every day for the next week with the White Sox at home- why the desperation to get him in the line up today?

IF you are going to play him- why the outfield when he hasn't played there in 2 years?

IF you are going to play him in the outfield- why RF with Humber pitching- when the DBacks are likely to lean towards lefty hitters? Plus a large outfield like the one in Arizona-

The ball will find him-

It is a head-scratcher. Clearly,left field should be quiet today with Humber on the mound,throwing a lot of offspeed stuff...at least in theory. Right field could be hopping. I would have Dunn in left,and Lilly in right,or maybe Teahen. But I do trust that Ozzie has looked at all the numbers,ie.balls hit to which field vs Humber,ect...and has made a calculated gamble here.

It does seem like Ozzie really wants Juan in the lineup and I can understand that frustrates some Sox fans. But Juan has bounced back from a day off before,so lets see how it plays out.

Last nite was a huge relief to win a game without extreme drama in the 9th. Thanks,Alex. Now,do it more often.

As for today...this Collmentor starting pitcher for the D-Backs has been pretty incredible....9 earned run in his last 7 starts?
Humber needs to shut them out today,probably,for the Sox to get a win.

Tragg
06-19-2011, 12:15 PM
The Bridge saved another HR but it looks like he is not the hitter we hoped he would be. I would like to see the Tank in RF, TCQ in LF and Rios in CF with the Bridge as a late inning defensive sub with an occasional start, Pierre would make a fine bat boy. The trouble is who bats lead-off, maybe Alexei.
He's a utility player., but better than Pierre.
We need outfielders.

Medford Bobby
06-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Great game to see in person, we had bleacher seats (section 139) right down the left field line, I told my buddy we are going to get a home run ball sitting here!!

Sure enough the Paulie ball comes toward us....and the guy sitting the next row just below us, and about five seats over, to our left, catches the ball.

Then he stands up and throws it back.....:o:

Still money well spent! Good pitching, couple of home runs and some great catches. Oh and no Pierre!!!

MarySwiss
06-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Great game to see in person, we had bleacher seats (section 139) right down the left field line, I told my buddy we are going to get a home run ball sitting here!!

Sure enough the Paulie ball comes toward us....and the guy sitting the next row just below us, and about five seats over, to our left, catches the ball.

Then he stands up and throws it back.....:o:

Still money well spent! Good pitching, couple of home runs and some great catches. Oh and no Pierre!!!

What a fool! Did he get tossed? He should have!

My turn today. We're along the third base line; they look like pretty good seats. Go SOX!!!!

FielderJones
06-19-2011, 12:44 PM

http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/47/133344-skywalkerno_large.jpg
"Noooooooooooooooo!"

Soxman219
06-19-2011, 12:46 PM
:popcorn::popcorn:

voodoochile
06-19-2011, 12:47 PM
TDog: I wondered the same thing. I have no idea why Gibson didn't use a pinch hitter there. On the radio broadcast, Farmer & DJ mentioned something about Owings being a pretty good hitter (I have no stats). I'm glad Gibson didn't use a pinch hitter as that turned out well for the Sox.

I commented on this in the game thread. Owings has actually had a decent hitting career. I was so surprised they let him hit I went and checked his stats. His career OPS is .841 with a .288 BA and a .528 SLG in 191 career AB though he's having a bad year this ear in a limited sample size. Glad John didn't mess around and just blew him away. I bet them sending the pitcher up to bat really pissed John off.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

Chez
06-19-2011, 12:56 PM
I took last night off from the Sox and watched Inception with my wife instead. I checked the score throughout and couldn't figure out whether I was actually dreaming and someone had planted the thought of a White Sox winner in my subconscious. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a dream and they won, but not certain as that movie has messed me up. :D:

Medford Bobby
06-19-2011, 01:19 PM
What a fool! Did he get tossed? He should have!

My turn today. We're along the third base line; they look like pretty good seats. Go SOX!!!!
No he was not tossed...and I was angry the rest of the game.:angry:
He could have given the ball to a small kid. I saw a lot of kids with their gloves.

Only 8 bucks for the seats though....stub hub!!:bandance:

MarySwiss
06-19-2011, 01:28 PM
No he was not tossed...and I was angry the rest of the game.:angry:
He could have given the ball to a small kid. I saw a lot of kids with their gloves.

Only 8 bucks for the seats though....stub hub!!:bandance:
I'll have my glove today, so maybe I can square things! :D:

Nice deal on the tickets!

Medford Bobby
06-19-2011, 02:11 PM
I'll have my glove today, so maybe I can square things! :D:

Nice deal on the tickets!
Yes this is a premium ticket pricing weekend at Chase Field. Yesterday was a "yellow"and today is "green" premium ticket prices....

So I hope you did not have to pay full price??:?:

MarySwiss
06-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Yes this is a premium ticket pricing weekend at Chase Field. Yesterday was a "yellow"and today is "green" premium ticket prices....

So I hope you did not have to pay full price??:?:
Yep, I did. But what the hell, I hardly ever go to D'Backs games, I wanted to pick out my seats, and it's the Sox. Actually, the tickets were about what I paid a few years back for the inaugural year at Camelback Ranch. I don't enjoy all the crap with the traffic and the parking, but I figure it'll be worth it.

Now if they lose, ask me then how I feel about it....:tongue:

Medford Bobby
06-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Yea we bit the bullet and paid 10 bucks to park in the garage. Qucik tail gate and got to the ball park in couple minutes....:D:

Hope you get a grill set giveaway today!! Yesterday was D-Backs truckers cap.

My last D-backs game was also about 2 years ago...luckily no 1-10 accidents but a ton of DPS coverage heading in to Phoenix yesterday.

TDog
06-19-2011, 04:12 PM
I commented on this in the game thread. Owings has actually had a decent hitting career. I was so surprised they let him hit I went and checked his stats. His career OPS is .841 with a .288 BA and a .528 SLG in 191 career AB though he's having a bad year this ear in a limited sample size. Glad John didn't mess around and just blew him away. I bet them sending the pitcher up to bat really pissed John off.

I understand Owings is a pretty good hitting pitcher, but it's not like Kirk Gibson has been using him as a pinch-hitter this year. His predecessor used Owings as a pinch-hitter, and Owings struck out most of the time. I thought he could have done better with someone off the bench, and I think most Diamondbacks fans probably thought the same thing.

Nellie_Fox
06-20-2011, 01:19 AM
It is not just the lack of D that bothers me; I am worried about an injury just as he seems to be sort of snapping out of his funk.He's not snapping out of anything.