PDA

View Full Version : Ricketts: Wrigley Field Not a Dump; Has "100% confidence" in Jim Hendry

vinny
06-15-2011, 11:36 PM
etc., etc., etc. :rolling:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-ricketts-says-hendry-and-quade-are-safe-20110615,0,2356555.storytc.

Lip Man 1
06-15-2011, 11:47 PM
This doofus fits right in with the Chad and Trixis out there doesn't he?

Lip

DSpivack
06-15-2011, 11:48 PM
Is that a dreaded 'vote of confidence' or is he actually being serious?

Hendu
06-16-2011, 01:21 AM
Is that a dreaded 'vote of confidence' or is he actually being serious?

I listened to most of the interview and I would fall on the "he's being serious" side. He even responded to a question about being buyers or sellers at the trade deadline by saying it's Hendry's decision.

I think he's way in over his head with this franchise.

SOXPHILE
06-16-2011, 09:38 AM
In all fairness, what is he supposed to say ? Yes, we suck, we're gonna suck for at least the next couple of years, we don't have much money left to put into the team and are saddled with some really bad contracts, this park is a dump, my GM is an idiot, etc ? He's gotta say the things he did. But, I do agree, he is in WAY over his head. He's a trust fund baby/fanboy who got daddy's help to buy a baseball team. Whoops ! Didn't realize it would be like this, did you ?

cws05champ
06-16-2011, 10:08 AM
The last sentence he spoke speaks volumes:

"Obviously it's more fun if you have a better record," he said. "There's no question about that. But this is still a dream job."

doublem23
06-16-2011, 10:24 AM
The last sentence he spoke speaks volumes:

"Obviously it's more fun if you have a better record," he said. "There's no question about that. But this is still a dream job."

You're telling me he enjoys owning a Major League Baseball team? What a dick!

(I think that was your point?)

Hasn't JR been quoted as essentially saying the exact same thing? At least the "dream job" part.

tstrike2000
06-16-2011, 10:39 AM
This Howdy Doody needs to exit stage right.

miker
06-16-2011, 11:11 AM
You would think the Cub-loving sycophants in Chicago sports media would rally around their new king...

white sox bill
06-16-2011, 11:21 AM
For 3 decades, Cub fans have griped about Tribune management and how they wish the team would get sold to "someone who cares".

The moral of this: Be careful what you wish for

kittle42
06-16-2011, 11:52 AM
For 3 decades, Cub fans have griped about Tribune management and how they wish the team would get sold to "someone who cares".

The moral of this: Be careful what you wish for

To be fair to Ricketts, he really walked into something he wasn't expecting and that cannot be solved with the snap of a finger. Who knows, he could turn it around eventually.

tstrike2000
06-16-2011, 12:48 PM
To be fair to Ricketts, he really walked into something he wasn't expecting and that cannot be solved with the snap of a finger. Who knows, he could turn it around eventually.

True. He took over what was quickly becoming a steaming pile.

g0g0
06-16-2011, 05:49 PM
YES!!! The dreaded confidence vote! Maybe this spells the end of Hendry! :bandance:

Viva Medias B's
06-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Tom Ricketts = Baseball Michael McCaskey

Steelrod
06-16-2011, 11:03 PM
YES!!! The dreaded confidence vote! Maybe this spells the end of Hendry! :bandance:
No. I prefer Hendry to stay there forever. I less worry for me.

ShooterMcGavin
06-16-2011, 11:15 PM
The Ricketts need to relocate the Cubs to a new ballpark in the suburbs if they care about winning and the health of the franchise.

jdm2662
06-16-2011, 11:35 PM

I hear this a lot. I kind of have to disagree. Ricketts has been a Cubs fan boy for years. I don't think Michael really loved the Bears that much (his mother is a different story). He just happened to the oldest of the grand kids and had so called business experience. The only experience he had was being an assphat...

PalehosePlanet
06-17-2011, 02:45 AM
The Ricketts need to relocate the Cubs to a new ballpark in the suburbs if they care about winning and the health of the franchise.

You've got to be kidding. The Cubs would be nearly worthless without Wrigley and the bars surrounding the stadium.

Tourists and Michigan transplants wouldn't be going to Arlington Heights to catch a Cubs game.

slavko
06-17-2011, 09:57 AM
You've got to be kidding. The Cubs would be nearly worthless without Wrigley and the bars surrounding the stadium.

Tourists and Michigan transplants wouldn't be going to Arlington Heights to catch a Cubs game.

They're going to need something to replace a money-losing, semi-deserted racetrack, slots or no slots. Stranger things have happened. There's lots to do in Arlington Heights. Palatine too. When I think of what it is I'll edit this post.

Red Barchetta
06-17-2011, 10:17 AM

..or bite the bullet and close down the park for two seasons/off-seasons in order to completely renovate the ballpark. "Cubs Nation" would have to accept the Cubs as traveling gypsies for a couple seasons and accept alternative home game locations. A topic we've already discussed in detail...

miker
06-17-2011, 10:19 AM

Sacrilege! Blasphemer!

Moses_Scurry
06-17-2011, 10:56 AM
If the cubs were to decide to build a new stadium in the 'burbs, is it even a sure thing that any 'burb would want them? This is a question for those who know the more inner workings of suburban communities. While the incoming economy for that particular suburb and some of the neighboring suburb would be significantly enhanced, so would the headaches and expenses that go along with 20-30,000 people coming into town 81 times a year. Also, I'm sure the cubs would want some serious goodies from the chosen suburb. With the Illinois economy as bad as it is, what suburbs would be willing to take them and have a good location for the stadium/parking lots/etc?

I'm just curious. Maybe they would be falling all over each other to get the cubs. I don't know. It would be funny if the only suburbs that wanted the cubs were the way outer ones like Aurora or something.

mrfourni
06-17-2011, 11:04 AM

What they needed to do was to threaten the city with a move to the suburbs in order to get the city to pay for refurbishing Wrigley. Instead, Ricketts decided to tell everyone that leaving Wrigley was not an option. You would think the smart business family would understand the concept of leverage. Jerry Reinsdorf certainly did. The Bears too.

eriqjaffe
06-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Tourists and Michigan transplants wouldn't be going to Arlington Heights to catch a Cubs game.I wouldn't be going to Arlington Heights to catch a Cubs game, and I live there.

tebman
06-17-2011, 12:20 PM
If the cubs were to decide to build a new stadium in the 'burbs, is it even a sure thing that any 'burb would want them? This is a question for those who know the more inner workings of suburban communities. While the incoming economy for that particular suburb and some of the neighboring suburb would be significantly enhanced, so would the headaches and expenses that go along with 20-30,000 people coming into town 81 times a year. Also, I'm sure the cubs would want some serious goodies from the chosen suburb. With the Illinois economy as bad as it is, what suburbs would be willing to take them and have a good location for the stadium/parking lots/etc?

I'm just curious. Maybe they would be falling all over each other to get the cubs. I don't know. It would be funny if the only suburbs that wanted the cubs were the way outer ones like Aurora or something.

The Sox bought property in Addison for a new park in the mid-1980s. At the time the Addison city fathers were all for it, but it was voted down in a local referendum. Plan B (or maybe it was C, D, or E) was to move across the street to where the park is now. After the state passed the ISFA legislation that smoothed the way to build the ballpark, the same architectural plans were used that were drawn up for Addison. That's why it looked the way it did when it opened in 1991 -- it was designed to be a suburban structure, not an architecturally-harmonious urban ballpark.

I live in Bolingbrook, and in 1987-88 Bolingbrook was one of several suburbs that were courting the Sox. That was almost 25 years ago, and the economy, the population density, and so much else has changed. I'd be amazed if any suburb except the most desparate would really want the Cubs to build a new park in their town. The Cubs would want goodies, as you say, and the long-term cost for infrastructure and safety would be huge for a smaller community.

It won't happen short of a tectonic shift in attitude and the economy. The Cubs sell the ballpark, not the team, and without the ballpark they'd be just another expansion club.

Red Barchetta
06-17-2011, 12:26 PM
What they needed to do was to threaten the city with a move to the suburbs in order to get the city to pay for refurbishing Wrigley. Instead, Ricketts decided to tell everyone that leaving Wrigley was not an option. You would think the smart business family would understand the concept of leverage. Jerry Reinsdorf certainly did. The Bears too.

I don't think the Bears had any real leverage in their negotiations. The city and Daly knew that there was no better sports venue in/around Chicago than playing on the lakefront. I remember Daly pretty much told McCaskey to go build his dream stadium in Gary, IN after McCaskey threatened to move the franchise.

Daly had hinted that Chicago could support two NFL teams and would not have hesitated to go after the Cardinals (at the time) or the Raiders (who are always looking for a better stadium).

JR on the other hand had better leverage, however if it wasn't for Jim Thompson, the SOX would be playing in the Trop.

Lip Man 1
06-17-2011, 01:38 PM
Daley did tell McCaskey something to that effect, i.e. we're not building you a new stadium and iif you don't like it go someplace else.

Lip

StillMissOzzie
06-17-2011, 11:47 PM

I had heard this comparison somewhere else earlier, but I could not agree more. Inept trust fund babies FTW!

SMO
:gulp:

white sox bill
06-18-2011, 08:17 AM
The Sox bought property in Addison for a new park in the mid-1980s. At the time the Addison city fathers were all for it, but it was voted down in a local referendum. Plan B (or maybe it was C, D, or E) was to move across the street to where the park is now. After the state passed the ISFA legislation that smoothed the way to build the ballpark, the same architectural plans were used that were drawn up for Addison. That's why it looked the way it did when it opened in 1991 -- it was designed to be a suburban structure, not an architecturally-harmonious urban ballpark.

I live in Bolingbrook, and in 1987-88 Bolingbrook was one of several suburbs that were courting the Sox. That was almost 25 years ago, and the economy, the population density, and so much else has changed. I'd be amazed if any suburb except the most desparate would really want the Cubs to build a new park in their town. The Cubs would want goodies, as you say, and the long-term cost for infrastructure and safety would be huge for a smaller community.

It won't happen short of a tectonic shift in attitude and the economy. The Cubs sell the ballpark, not the team, and without the ballpark they'd be just another expansion club.

IIRC wasn't there a environmental issue with building the park in Addison? Something like preservation of the nearby wet lands or something.

Frontman
06-18-2011, 02:58 PM

I disagree. I think Ricketts actually cares about baseball, where Michael cared about getting his eyebrows tweezed......