PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Try to Break Goat Curse Again

Viva Medias B's
06-14-2011, 10:17 PM
This afternoon at Wrigley Field, the Cubs came out for their workout wearing gray t-shirts that had a crossed out billy goat on the front and "**** THE GOAT" on the back. The F-word was not on the shirt verbatim; only the second and third letters of the word were filtered.

Scottiehaswheels
06-14-2011, 10:22 PM
:whocares

They need talent, not t-shirts.

DrCrawdad
06-14-2011, 11:15 PM
:whocares

They need talent, not t-shirts.

No matter their record, no matter reality, the Cubbies are always a 2 game winning streak away from "right back in it..." talk.

RadioheadRocks
06-14-2011, 11:31 PM
... and our buddy Gary makes yet another appearance from the hereafter :rolleyes:

Foulke You
06-15-2011, 01:28 AM
no matter their record, no matter reality, the cubbies are always a 2 game winning streak away from "right back in it..." talk.
"It's gonna happen!!"

TomBradley72
06-15-2011, 07:03 AM
This afternoon at Wrigley Field, the Cubs came out for their workout wearing gray t-shirts that had a crossed out billy goat on the front and "**** THE GOAT" on the back. The F-word was not on the shirt verbatim; only the second and third letters of the word were filtered.

Stay classy Cubbies- great model for the kids at home practicing their "we want a hit" chant.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-15-2011, 07:18 AM
T Rick's marketing department mantra -

The team sucks....
The stadium sucks.....
Mortgaged to the hilt....
102 and counting.....

BLAME THE GOAT!!!

I saw the shirts and laughed....not because of humor, but because of pity. Those players will wake up in 10 years and think, "Did I really think a ****ing goat curse was why that team was so bad?"

DrCrawdad
06-15-2011, 07:25 AM
"It's gonna happen!!"

Oh, indeed it is. And over at "BleedCubbieBlue (http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2011/6/15/2224912/cubs-come-from-behind-defeat-brewers-in-10-5-4)":

This feels so good... (http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2011/6/15/2224912/cubs-come-from-behind-defeat-brewers-in-10-5-4#)

2 More against the Brewers and then sweep the Yankees and Whit Sox…
Back to .500 and then…

By God, I love this KoolAid!

If the Cubs still have a chance, no matter how small, it’s still Go Cubs, damn the math and pass the KoolAid.

by eths (http://www.sbnation.com/users/eths) on Jun 15, 2011 7:21 AM CDT (http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2011/6/15/2224912/cubs-come-from-behind-defeat-brewers-in-10-5-4#69699929)

Railsplitter
06-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Hide your goats!

Typical mindset of Cub-dumb: blame some animal, not bad ownership decicions.

The Cubs were the last big league team to have a farm system. They were late integrating. For several years in the 1960's, they were essentially managed by commitee. Prior to 1985, they relied mainly on walk-ups for ticket sales. And of course, were the last pre-expansion team to install lights. That has nothing to do with thier well-publicized World series drought.

Soxman24
06-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Whatever makes them feel better about their horse **** play on the field.

Red Barchetta
06-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Another great example why I could never be a fan of this joke of a baseball team.

Really, how many years has it been since they blamed their poor executive baseball decisions, managing and poor performance on an unsuspecting animal?!

miker
06-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Those players will wake up in 10 years and think, "Did I really think a ****ing goat curse was why that team was so bad?"

If I'm a player on team that's struggling, why not have a little fun with your team's tortured history?

doublem23
06-15-2011, 10:06 AM
If I'm a player on team that's struggling, why not have a little fun with your team's tortured history?

I agree, I think something silly like this helps kind of loosen guys up. I sincerely doubt many, if any, of the players there think they're losing because of a goat in 1945, but why not have a little fun with it? Personally, I think it's worse to bring it up when the team's winning, like in the playoffs in 2007 or 2008, when they brought a priest in to bless the dugout with holy water before the playoffs. As if the pressure of the postseason's not enough, you have to plant the historical weight of the game on those guys, too.

When you're losing, you got to find ways to get guys to relax. When you're winning, you keep them focused on the game.

jdm2662
06-15-2011, 10:21 AM
I agree, I think something silly like this helps kind of loosen guys up. I sincerely doubt many, if any, of the players there think they're losing because of a goat in 1945, but why not have a little fun with it? Personally, I think it's worse to bring it up when the team's winning, like in the playoffs in 2007 or 2008, when they brought a priest in to bless the dugout with holy water before the playoffs. As if the pressure of the postseason's not enough, you have to plant the historical weight of the game on those guys, too.

When you're losing, you got to find ways to get guys to relax. When you're winning, you keep them focused on the game.

Glad I'm not the only one that sees this as just the players having some fun with it. The Sox had voodoo dolls in their clubhouse to break out of a funk, and this board got upset when people made a big deal of it.

g0g0
06-15-2011, 11:18 AM

I think that's fine if you are the Yankees, but the Cubs have sucked for a long time. They need to be thinking about going .500 the rest of the way.

Red Barchetta
06-15-2011, 11:57 AM

I agree with this theory if it is any other team trying to loosen the mood a little. However, the Cubs celebrate and attract losing unlike any other franchise in sports.

sunofgold
06-15-2011, 04:18 PM
I heard their Peoria affiliates were doing that. I could also see that working in Wrigley.

doublem23
06-15-2011, 04:25 PM
I agree with this theory if it is any other team trying to loosen the mood a little. However, the Cubs celebrate and attract losing unlike any other franchise in sports.

Yeah but that's the fans, the team itself, I doubt, gives two ****s about any of this Cub nostalgia.

Sox
06-16-2011, 08:22 PM

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. :thumbsup:

Red Barchetta
06-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Yeah but that's the fans, the team itself, I doubt, gives two ****s about any of this Cub nostalgia.

That's why I'm surprised the current players bought into this stuff. I understand if it was some kind of fan or team marketing initiated event. I mean, did Pena or Fukudome even know about a goat curse when they arrived?

miker
06-17-2011, 09:24 AM
That's why I'm surprised the current players bought into this stuff. I understand if it was some kind of fan or team marketing initiated event. I mean, did Pena or Fukudome even know about a goat curse when they arrived?

For several million a year, I'd be willing to play for a team that's possessed by demons.

tstrike2000
06-17-2011, 12:03 PM
http://www.eurweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/wesley-snipes-majorleague-1.jpg

"Ricketts wants to sacrifice a live goat. We can't have guys puking in the clubhouse."