PDA

View Full Version : Jeter to not play at Wrigley

Steelrod
06-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Figures the kind of year the Cubs are having. There marketing has been directed to this weekend with Jeter and the Yankees. Yankees just announced the he will not play and maybe go on the DL.

WhiteSox5187
06-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Figures the kind of year the Cubs are having. There marketing has been directed to this weekend with Jeter and the Yankees. Yankees just announced the he will not play and maybe go on the DL.

I bet that is just so Jeter can get 3,000 in New York and NOT on the road.

CHISOXFAN13
06-14-2011, 06:07 PM
I bet that is just so Jeter can get 3,000 in New York and NOT on the road.

Jimmy Rollins missed a **** load of games with the same injury.

I seriously doubt it's because of that, especially when every game they play is important with the Red Sox dominating.

WhiteSox5187
06-14-2011, 06:21 PM

I seriously doubt it's because of that, especially when every game they play is important with the Red Sox dominating.

Well, I actually just heard on MLB Network that is a grade 1 strain, so that kind of renders my theory moot. I thought it was just like a tight calf or something. This might be a bigger problem.

#1swisher
06-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Jeter goes on the 15-day DL, first time since 2003.

http://espn.go.com/sports/fantasy/blog/_/name/bell_stephania/id/6661879/derek-jeter-lands-dl-calf-strain

NYPost (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/item_WXNDn4i9gNn2EjHGeWCf3M)

RadioheadRocks
06-14-2011, 08:59 PM

Wonder how many of the sheeple are going to request refunds based on that fact...

Huisj
06-14-2011, 10:21 PM
So will ESPN and Fox reconsider their stupid schedule of showing nothing but Yankees games for the foreseeable future?

Madscout
06-14-2011, 11:12 PM
So will ESPN and Fox reconsider their stupid schedule of showing nothing but Yankees games for the foreseeable future?

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Content/Image/03-31-2008/Karl-Ravech.jpg

What other team would we show, the Red Sox...I don't think that there are other teams until football.

Viva Medias B's
06-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Had Jeter been able to go to Wrigley Field this weekend and gotten his 3000th hit, it would not have been the first time a famous player accomplished that feat. Back in 1958, Stan Musial got his 3000th hit at Wrigley Field. IIRC, the Cardinals had benched Stan the Man that day with the intention of having him get his 3000th hit in St. Louis the next day. However, with the Redbirds down 1-0 to the Cubs, Musial was needed to come off the bench and tie the game with a base hit.

PaleHoser
06-15-2011, 12:03 AM
Further proof that God hates the Cubs. :gulp:

TDog
06-15-2011, 03:16 AM
Had Jeter been able to go to Wrigley Field this weekend and gotten his 3000th hit, it would not have been the first time a famous player accomplished that feat. Back in 1958, Stan Musial got his 3000th hit at Wrigley Field. IIRC, the Cardinals had benched Stan the Man that day with the intention of having him get his 3000th hit in St. Louis the next day. However, with the Redbirds down 1-0 to the Cubs, Musial was needed to come off the bench and tie the game with a base hit.

Willie Mays' 600th career home run in 1969 didn't come at Candlestick. I have read that the Giants had a promotion planned for upcoming homestand and Mays was kept out of the lineup against the Padres in San Diego.

But it was September, and the Giants were battling the Braves for the first NL West title. And the score was tied late in Jack Murphy Stadium, where less than 5,000 people had come to see the game. Willie Mays came in to pinch-hit for George Foster and became the second major leaguer with a 600-home run career. Only Babe Ruth had previously accomplished that feat.

Thirty summers later, in a game in Montreal, Tony Gwynn, on his mother's birthday, got his fourth hit of the night and 3,000 of his career in a 12-10 win against Expos. (Chris Widger was behind the plate when Gwynn reached the milestone, but it wasn't the most famous game of his storied career.) The Padres weren't in the race that year, but there was never any queston of Gwynn waiting for the next homestand in Mission Valley to get his 3,000th hit. The Padres did hold a Tony Gwynn night more than a month later when the Expos next played in San Diego. I still sometimes wear the giveaway T-shirt. I didn't expect 55,000 people to show up to Jack Murphy Stadium for a September game between the Expos and Padres, but fortunately they had temporay aluminum bleachers set up in the outfield and enough T-shirts for everyone.

Stan Musial, Willie Mays and Tony Gwynn are honored with statues outside of the parks where their teams currently play. (The rightfield wall at AT&T is even 24 feet high in Willie Mays' honor.) They are remembered as the greatest players ever to play for their teams. Fans don't think less of them because they reached their milestones hundreds even thousands of miles away from home.

Really, it wouldn't hurt Derek Jeter (who normally wouldn't be mentioned in the above company) to get his milestone hit on the road. That it won't happen in Wrigley Field, however, only hurts the speculators who bought tickets to sell at hyper-inflated prices on on Stub Hub this weekend.

Dan H
06-15-2011, 05:33 AM
Further proof that God hates the Cubs. :gulp:

He's not the only one who hates the Cubs. And Jeter is only a handful of hits away from 3,000? Is that why he has a 16,000 square foot house?

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-15-2011, 08:25 AM

Saw on the MLB Network crawl last night that Rollins' comment about Jeter's injury was along the lines of "expect to be healed with that in the offseason".

LITTLE NELL
06-15-2011, 08:50 AM

Watched that game on TV, I skipped school with a bad head cold. Stan 3000th hit was a double to left-center, one bounce to the red wagon gate. Moe Drabowsky was the Cub pitcher as the lovable losers lost another game.
Actually the Cubs were pretty entertaining in 1958 as they had 5 guys with 20 or more HRs (Mr Cub had 47) which back then was quite rare.
Somethings you never forget.

miker
06-15-2011, 09:39 AM
The Yankees could play Phil Rizzuto and still be better than the Cubs...