PDA

View Full Version : Jake Peavy update?

balke
06-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Sox team report said he had a 2nd MRI yesterday and if all went well he'd have a schedule set for his return. Anyone see results of the MRI posted anywhere?

#1swisher
06-14-2011, 07:25 PM
MDGonzales (http://twitter.com/?lang=en&logged_out=1#%21/MDGonzales) twitter

Peavy and Pena to report to Charlotte thurs.
plan for Peavy to throw six innings/90 pitches

Moses_Scurry
06-14-2011, 07:50 PM
MDGonzales (http://twitter.com/?lang=en&logged_out=1#%21/MDGonzales) twitter

Peavy and Pena to report to Charlotte thurs.
plan for Peavy to throw six innings/90 pitches

Peavy :D:

Pena :(:

ZombieRob
06-14-2011, 07:54 PM
He said according to NBC he'd be willing to help the team anyway he can, even if it's in the pen. :?:

Hitmen77
06-14-2011, 08:35 PM
He said according to NBC he'd be willing to help the team anyway he can, even if it's in the pen. :?:

I'm eager to have Jake back, but Pena can help the team by staying on the DL.

balke
06-14-2011, 09:02 PM

If he's cool with it - I am. I'll just hate thinking he's in the pen anytime another starter has a bad outing.

Pena is okay with me to eat up bullpen innings. I feel Sale is. Used to do that too much at the moment.

GlassSox
06-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Does Jake own a 16,000 sq ft home in Charlotte?

Lip Man 1
06-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Ozzie apparently isn't sold on Peavy's suggestion:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sox-will-wait-on-peavys-bullpen-offer-20110614,0,744515.story

Lip

Falstaff
06-15-2011, 12:27 AM
Ozzie/Kenny should read between the lines. When the Peave suggests a willingness to contribute as a bullpen arm "to help the team"... well methinks it is his way of saying "...this year, the most my body can realistically sustain is a bullpen assignment..." . Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a great idea, and he will help win many games in that capacity. Let's not forget, Peavy suffered horrible injury last year, could have easily ended the career then and there. I think he is being realistic and the mgt ought to do so also.

Red Barchetta
06-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Ozzie/Kenny should read between the lines. When the Peave suggests a willingness to contribute as a bullpen arm "to help the team"... well methinks it is his way of saying "...this year, the most my body can realistically sustain is a bullpen assignment..." . Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a great idea, and he will help win many games in that capacity. Let's not forget, Peavy suffered horrible injury last year, could have easily ended the career then and there. I think he is being realistic and the mgt ought to do so also.

Although I understand the concept of less work out of the bullpen vs. starting every 5 (6?) games, what I don't understand is how warming up quickly for 1-2 innings of work doesn't risk as much injury, if not more, than warming up in full preparation for a starting pitching assignment.

kufram
06-15-2011, 10:25 AM

I think Peavy really is what it says on the package... a TEAM guy. I think he would sit on the bench if it was the best thing for a team. Baseball used to be full of team players but they are becoming a little rare. I also don't think Jake is a read between the lines sort of guy. He might withhold information about being injured but I don't think he would send signals between lines.

hawkjt
06-15-2011, 10:50 AM
I agree that I doubt Jake has any hidden agendas. I believe he feels badly about his huge salary vs his contribution to the Sox and is straight out willing to do anything he can to help the Sox win.

No doubt it is a rubic's cube for Kenny and Ozzie and Coop.
If you gamble and put him in the bullpen and he gets hurt again, everyone looks foolish.
If you go with the 6 man rotation,you might screw your bullpen.
If you gamble and trade EJackson at the deadline,and Jake gets hurt,not good.
Like a box of chocolates...never know what you will get with Jake.

asindc
06-15-2011, 11:00 AM
I think Peavy really is what it says on the package... a TEAM guy. I think he would sit on the bench if it was the best thing for a team. Baseball used to be full of team players but they are becoming a little rare. I also don't think Jake is a read between the lines sort of guy. He might withhold information about being injured but I don't think he would send signals between lines.

This is exactly how I see it. While I'm still pissed at him for the Detroit game, I believe his stubborness comes from his sincere effort to live up to his contract. If he was named closer today, I think he would happily accept the role.

GlassSox
06-15-2011, 04:36 PM
I think the big question is if Jake can remain healthy in any role for a reasonable period of time. I believe it is a crap shoot no matter what role he is in.

Does he have good conditioning routines or is he just prone to injury?

#1swisher
06-15-2011, 06:05 PM
I think the big question is if Jake can remain healthy in any role for a reasonable period of time. I believe it is a crap shoot no matter what role he is in.

Does he have good conditioning routines or is he just prone to injury?

From this photo, looks like he's got a gut.

http://www.csnchicago.com/06/15/11/Peavy-amps-up-rehab-willing-to-close/landing_insider_ballantini_loud3r.html?blockID=534 950&feedID=7139&utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=21da114489-Daily+CSNChicago.com+E-Blast&utm_medium=email

Falstaff
06-15-2011, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=#1swisher;2771987]From this photo, looks like he's got a gut.

ya, actually I think its the herky-jerky violent pitching motion he apparently thinks he needs to employ in order to be effective. History with Sox is he can be very effective if doing herky-jerky motion, but when they tried to smooth it out to reduce injury prone situation, Jake got lit up. So anyway, they really need to listen to the Peave and go easy on him this year, let him be huge cog in the bullpen (we need it).

DirtySouthsider
06-16-2011, 02:28 AM

That's like dealing with my wife. Ozzie/Kenny shouldn't have to "read between the lines". This is big business and Peavy should be able tell Ozzie/Kenny how his body feels and what's on his mind.

#1swisher
06-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Peavy, may return to the rotation sometime next week.

Scott Merkin
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110615&content_id=20530240&notebook_id=20544592&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

Lip Man 1
06-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Kenny today said Peavy is back in the starting rotation, no bullpen work for him.

Lip

KMcMahon817
06-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Kenny today said Peavy is back in the starting rotation, no bullpen work for him.

Lip

Good. He shouldn't be anywhere near the bullpen at this point.

getonbckthr
06-17-2011, 09:39 PM
I wonder how much of an injury Jake really had this last time. Is it possible they found a way to give Jake some time with the whole waiver process as to prevent him from getting hurt.