PDA

View Full Version : The Onion: Jose Bautista's Strong/Weak Sides

JermaineDye05
06-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Link (http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/jose-bautista,20713/)

:rolling:

palehozenychicty
06-14-2011, 01:20 PM
:roflmao: seconded.

SOXSINCE'70
06-15-2011, 10:54 AM
As far as someone who obviously 'roided,here's a name from the past:
Brady Anderson . He hit 50 HR's for the O's in 1997 (I may be a year or 2 off,sorry.),
then came back down to earth and hit 5 or 6 the next year.

But yes,I am slightly suspicious of Jose Bautista.

thomas35forever
06-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Pretty funny stuff.

geofitz
06-15-2011, 02:00 PM
It may just be coincidental but what do these three seeming rejuvenated players have in common?

Bautista, David Ortiz and Bartolo Colon. At least until he stumbled trying to lumber to cover first base.

They're all from the Dominican. Didn't a long ago Spanish explorer try to discover the Fountain of Youth there?

Might really be "something in the water".

FielderJones
06-15-2011, 02:01 PM

Yeah. The Clear.

asindc
06-15-2011, 02:46 PM
As far as someone who obviously 'roided,here's a name from the past:
Brady Anderson . He hit 50 HR's for the O's in 1997 (I may be a year or 2 off,sorry.),
then came back down to earth and hit 5 or 6 the next year.

But yes,I am slightly suspicious of Jose Bautista.

Brady Anderson is probably Bautista's blueprint.

mzh
06-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Meh. I think the guy's clean. The thing about steroids is that the way they let you hit 50 homers is by turning you into a gigantic muscle freak. Bautista hasn't gone through the mysterious early 30's growthspurt that Bonds, Sosa, McGwire et al. did. Watching it on ESPN a while ago, I do buy into the swing mechanics stuff.

JermaineDye05
06-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Meh. I think the guy's clean. The thing about steroids is that the way they let you hit 50 homers is by turning you into a gigantic muscle freak. Bautista hasn't gone through the mysterious early 30's growthspurt that Bonds, Sosa, McGwire et al. did. Watching it on ESPN a while ago, I do buy into the swing mechanics stuff.

A-Rod is still the same size.

mzh
06-15-2011, 03:25 PM
A-Rod is still the same size. True, but A-Rod already hit for plenty of power as a kid with Seattle. A better comparison would be Sammy Sosa if you're looking at the jump. One common factor with the huge power jump in the roiders was that they were suddenly bombing the ball 450 feet opposite field. Since the beginning of last year, something like 80-90% of Bautista's homers have been pulled. Basically all the stuff I've read indicated that the Toronto hitting coach essentially told him to stop trying to go the other way and just pull the ball, which seems to have worked.

EDIT: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12383209

mzh
06-15-2011, 03:28 PM
One other factor that people seem to forget: If Bautista was so blatantly on steroids, why wouldn't he have been caught by now? Testing has been around for a few years now, and with Manny Ramirez got caught within a week of the season starting, there's no reason why he wouldn't have been busted already if he was doing it.

beasly213
06-15-2011, 04:16 PM
One other factor that people seem to forget: If Bautista was so blatantly on steroids, why wouldn't he have been caught by now? Testing has been around for a few years now, and with Manny Ramirez got caught within a week of the season starting, there's no reason why he wouldn't have been busted already if he was doing it.

He's probably not on classic roids. Most likely HGH.

blandman
06-15-2011, 04:30 PM
He's probably not on classic roids. Most likely HGH.

Most likely? The most likely scenerio is he started hitting better because of new mechanics, which he does have. Not that he illegally acquired drugs to enhance performance. :rolleyes:

Some of you think if you're not a stud from the get-go, you're roiding. Lots of guys throughout history took their time becoming great.

Sox
06-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Pretty funny stuff. :redneck

hi im skot
06-15-2011, 05:26 PM
A good read (http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201106/number-crusher-how-blue-jays-slugger-jose-bautista-experimented-his-way-greatness).

Over By There
06-15-2011, 06:01 PM
A good read (http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201106/number-crusher-how-blue-jays-slugger-jose-bautista-experimented-his-way-greatness).

Great read.

soxfan2504
06-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Just shared the Onion article with a friend who's a die hard Jays fan, he loved it. Regarding Bautista, he's about an inch taller than me, and weighs about 10-15 pounds more than me, and has been that way for quite a long time. (I'm about 5'11", 180, fwiw). That's not a telltale sign of a roider/HGHer.

If he wanted the roids, he could have used them alot earlier in his career, before there was any testing. In baseball, at least with regards to hitting a ball, timing and mechanics are much more important than brute strength.

I'd say he's definitely clean.

It may just be coincidental but what do these three seeming rejuvenated players have in common?
Bautista, David Ortiz and Bartolo Colon. At least until he stumbled trying to lumber to cover first base.
They're all from the Dominican. Didn't a long ago Spanish explorer try to discover the Fountain of Youth there?

Geofitz, keep in mind that, yes, they're all from the same country, but unlike most of his countrymen in MLB, Bautista has had a college degree to fall back on, and thus wasn't as desperate to make it in baseball as many other Dominicans are. He didn't need to make it in baseball to be successful. Like many of us on here I'm sure, including myself, he had a middle class upbringing. Not the desperate poverty that plagues most of the DR and most Dominican baseball talent.