PDA

View Full Version : Viciedo Ready?

FielderJones
06-14-2011, 12:09 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110613&content_id=20428398&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws

Could Kenny have a trade in the works to clear a spot for Dayan?

DirtySox
06-14-2011, 12:14 AM
Sounds like Kenny wants him to replace Pierre but Ozzie doesn't agree.

TDog
06-14-2011, 12:43 AM
Sounds like Kenny wants him to replace Pierre but Ozzie doesn't agree.

I don't think it's that simple.

I get the impression that Williams would like to see an outfield of Viciedo, Rios and Quentin. There isn't a leadoff hitter out of the outfield, and your DH as well isn't going to be a leadoff hitter. It isn't just a matter of replacing Pierre with Viciedo. It's a matter of finding a leadoff man from your infield, and you're not going to find one at first or third, unless you're talking about Vizquel.

DirtySox
06-14-2011, 12:44 AM
I don't think it's that simple.

I get the impression that Williams would like to see an outfield of Viciedo, Rios and Quentin. There isn't a leadoff hitter out of the outfield, and your DH as well isn't going to be a leadoff hitter. It isn't just a matter of replacing Pierre with Viciedo. It's a matter of finding a leadoff man from your infield, and you're not going to find one at first or third, unless you're talking about Vizquel.

There isn't an ideal leadoff hitter in this situation, Juan Pierre included. I'd push Alexei to the front and be done with it. I have a major problem giving the worst hitter and player on the team the most at bats. It is simply moronic.

SoxSpeed22
06-14-2011, 01:01 AM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/powerrankings
At #19, there's no reason to have Pierre out there anymore. If Viciedo is called up, I would rather see Brent play center and lead off for the time being.

06-14-2011, 01:08 AM
Trade for Jamey Carroll? He has put up great #'s this year for LAD and they don't need him now that their DL guys are back.

He was doing very good at leadoff for LAD and has now gone back to the bench with Dee Gordon up and the Dodgers putting up the white flag.

GregO23
06-14-2011, 01:11 AM
Ramirez
Beckham
Quentin
Konerko
Viciedo
Dunn
Rios
AJ
Morel

Our bench would consist give us alot of flexibility with different lineup changes until something sticks. I like it.

Tragg
06-14-2011, 01:38 AM
Maybe leadoff Rios. He has a little speed, he may get better pitches, and he make wake up and take leadoff seriously.
We really don't have anyone.

sullythered
06-14-2011, 02:11 AM
Tank, TCQ, and Rios in the outfield.

Split the leadoff spot between TCM, Omar, Lillibridge, Rios (if he gets going) and be done with it.

'05 proved it, good starting pitching and a **** load of home runs can take you to the promised land.

sullythered
06-14-2011, 03:14 AM
I know Viciedo is in year 3 of a 4 year deal. Do we have control of him after that?

DrCrawdad
06-14-2011, 07:39 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110613&content_id=20428398&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws

Could Kenny have a trade in the works to clear a spot for Dayan?

And as a response to the article Dayan went 3 for 5 yesterday. (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2011_06_13_chraaa_pawaaa_1&t=g_box&did=milb)

cws05champ
06-14-2011, 08:19 AM
I know Viciedo is in year 3 of a 4 year deal. Do we have control of him after that?
Yes, we have him for 6 years of control...the last two he'll be arbitration eligible.

russ99
06-14-2011, 08:43 AM
'05 proved it, good starting pitching and a **** load of home runs can take you to the promised land.

You're forgetting the impact season by our leadoff man in 2005, setting the table, unhinging pitchers and scoring runs in bunches.

If anything, '04, '06 and '08 proved it: you can't get to the promised land by hitting a **** load of home runs alone, which is especially true in the current era where hitting numbers league-wide are low and pitching seems to have the upper hand.

We're in no hurry to add Viciedo to sit on the bench. Have Lillibridge press Pierre for playing time to get him back on track, and all is solved.

delben91
06-14-2011, 09:51 AM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/powerrankings
At #19, there's no reason to have Pierre out there anymore. If Viciedo is called up, I would rather see Brent play center and lead off for the time being.

I agree that Pierre needs some time on the bench, but I would hope no MLB team makes roster decisions based off of ESPN's power rankings...

DrCrawdad
06-15-2011, 12:39 AM
I see that Viciedo did not play on Tuesday night for the Knights (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2011_06_14_chraaa_pawaaa_1&t=g_box&did=milb). Dayan on his way to MN?

SoxSpeed22
06-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Viciedo has played in 10 straight days, so maybe he just needed a day off.

DirtySox
06-15-2011, 01:07 AM
I see that Viciedo did not play on Tuesday night for the Knights (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2011_06_14_chraaa_pawaaa_1&t=g_box&did=milb). Dayan on his way to MN?

Dayan is in Chicago to finalize his citizenship.

JermaineDye05
06-15-2011, 11:25 AM
Dayan is in Chicago to finalize his citizenship.

Yeah, that was in the article that was posted originally.

Dayan won't be up here until there's a significant injury to either TCQ, PK, Dunn, or Pierre. Or until Ozzie finally realizes that Juan Pierre sucks and is hurting the team.

JB98
06-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Leadoff hitter is not a position. Choose your best nine guys, then decide what order they are going to hit in.

Viciedo is likely among our best nine guys. If so, it's a shame he's rotting at Charlotte when there is a winnable Central division there for the taking.

DirtySox
06-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Leadoff hitter is not a position. Choose your best nine guys, then decide what order they are going to hit in.

Preaching to the choir.

This (http://chicago.sbnation.com/chicago-white-sox/2011/6/14/2223719/white-sox-dayan-viciedo-juan-pierre) article is spot on.

DrCrawdad
06-16-2011, 09:05 PM
It's time to bring up Viciedo. Time for Rios and/or Pierre to sit. The solution to me is ...

LF Viciedo
CF LilliHammer
RF TCQ

Lead off with LilliHammer, TCM or whomever (does it really matter at this point seeing as how we have a lead-off man who rarely gets on base and when he does he's a liability on the bases, could it be worse?)

Daver
06-16-2011, 09:35 PM
It's time to bring up Viciedo. Time for Rios and/or Pierre to sit. The solution to me is ...

LF Viciedo
CF LilliHammer
RF TCQ

Lead off with LilliHammer, TCM or whomever (does it really matter at this point seeing as how we have a lead-off man who rarely gets on base and when he does he's a liability on the bases, could it be worse?)

That could very well be the worst defensive outfield seen in MLB in the last quarter century.

Anything hit out of the infield will be an adventure, but it might force Ken Harrelson to lose the "can of corn" phrase, so it does have a possible upside.

JB98
06-16-2011, 09:37 PM
That could very well be the worst defensive outfield seen in MLB in the last quarter century.

Anything hit out of the infield will be an adventure, but it might force Ken Harrelson to lose the "can of corn" phrase, so it does have a possible upside.

We have the worst defensive outfield in MLB as it stands. On top of it, two of the three can't hit.

Daver
06-16-2011, 09:59 PM
We have the worst defensive outfield in MLB as it stands. On top of it, two of the three can't hit.

Baseball is not an offensive sport.

DrCrawdad
06-16-2011, 10:04 PM

Are you saying that Rios is substantially better in CF over LilliHammer?

After watching Rios the last couple years I've come to the conclusion that his defense is vastly overrated.

And Pierre vs. Viciedo in LF? Well I've not seen Viciedo play LF but he has been playing RF in AAA. You'd NEVER play Pierre in RF, I doubt they'd do that even in AAA. But besides that Pierre is marginal in LF. I don't think there would be much of a difference between Pierre and Viciedo.

Daver
06-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Are you saying that Rios is substantially better in CF over LilliHammer?

After watching Rios the last couple years I've come to the conclusion that his defense is vastly overrated.

And Pierre vs. Viciedo in LF? Well I've not seen Viciedo play LF but he has been playing RF in AAA. You'd NEVER play Pierre in RF, I doubt they'd do that even in AAA. But besides that Pierre is marginal in LF. I don't think there would be much of a difference between Pierre and Viciedo.

Yes, Rios is a true CFer.

Pierre is a career outfielder, and knows all aspects of the position, Dayan is an infielder that has played roughly 40 games in one of the smallest outfields in professional baseball, you're comparing grapes to watermelons.

But this whole concept does not surprise me at all, a good chunk of the posters here scream for replacing starters that aren't hitting, and then bitch and moan because of the lack of fundamentals, you can't have it both ways.

The Twins run all over Sox pitching and everyone bitches about AJ's poor defense, completely ignoring the fact that his defense is the exact same as it was when he was first signed, but where is the finger pointing at the pitchers that can't look back a runner to save their lives?

Carry on, nothing more to see here.

DrCrawdad
06-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Yes, Rios is a true CFer.

Maybe since the Sox picked up Rios but when he was with Toronto he played RF most of the time, by far. In fact in his career games RF vs. CF:

720 RF
348 CF

After 7 years in MLB, where he was a corner outfielder, the Sox switched him to CF. I stand by my comment, Rios CF defense is vastly overrated. Rios is putting up offensive numbers this season worse than what lead to Brian Anderson losing his position with the White Sox.

Daver
06-16-2011, 11:31 PM
Maybe since the Sox picked up Rios but when he was with Toronto he played RF most of the time, by far. In fact in his career games RF vs. CF:

720 RF
348 CF

After 7 years in MLB, where he was a corner outfielder, the Sox switched him to CF. I stand by my comment, Rios CF defense is vastly overrated. Rios is putting up offensive numbers this season worse than what lead to Brian Anderson losing his position with the White Sox.

Baseball is not an offensive sport, and Brian is a better CFer than Alex is, but Alex is still a better alternative to a converted infielder.

Other than that I really don't see what point you are trying to make outside of offense, which has nothing to do with what I posted in this thread.

Noneck
06-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Baseball is not an offensive sport

The Sox are playing this sport in an offensive manner.

CHISOXFAN13
06-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Dayan with three more hits, including a homer tonight.

DrCrawdad
06-17-2011, 12:00 AM
Dayan with three more hits, including a homer tonight.

Who needs that offense? Would you really want Viciedo in LF over Juan Pierre?

JermaineDye05
06-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Dayan continues to mash the ball.

Doubles in his first at-bat tonight.

JermaineDye05
06-18-2011, 07:55 PM
RBI single in his second at-bat.

.329 avg.

eastchicagosoxfan
06-18-2011, 08:19 PM
What's his trade value? I wonder if the Sox are getting offers?

JermaineDye05
06-18-2011, 08:21 PM

Not enough to fix this team.

eastchicagosoxfan
06-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Not enough to fix this team.

I agree, but that neither of us make that choice.

JermaineDye05
06-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Dayan finishes 3-6 with a 2B and 2 RBI.

tacosalbarojas
06-19-2011, 12:32 AM
I wish they'd get him up here, but the 6 run outburst tonight delays his callup until at least the break.

Tragg
06-19-2011, 01:10 PM

I don't know, but it's not a bad idea if we can get a similar prospect, but one who can play the outfield, rather than a DH type. Use all the assets, limited as they may be, to help this team in the long run (not for a relief pitcher for this year or some rent).

sox1970
06-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Viciedo is 1-2 today off his fellow cubano, Yunesky Maya.

Hitting .330 this season.

JermaineDye05
06-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Dayan extends his hitting streak.

1-3 in the game and still holds a .330 avg.

JermaineDye05
06-20-2011, 07:45 PM
A single in the 7th brings Dayan's average up to .332

He hit it to the opposite field too.

Daver
06-20-2011, 07:51 PM
A single in the 7th brings Dayan's average up to .332

He hit it to the opposite field too.

Am I supposed to be impressed that he is putting up decent numbers in a bandbox against pitchers that will probably never see significant time in an MLB uniform?

sox1970
06-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Am I supposed to be impressed that he is putting up decent numbers in a bandbox against pitchers that will probably never see significant time in an MLB uniform?

Try to be more of downer.

rdivaldi
06-20-2011, 09:15 PM

Are you supposed to be unimpressed?

Johnny Mostil
06-21-2011, 09:10 AM

I don't watch the Knights and know nothing of the pitchers in their league, but, in fact, Viciedo's batting stats (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=&sid=t494&t=p_pbp&pid=493364) appear to be better on the road than in the Knights' "bandbox."

JohnTucker0814
06-21-2011, 10:02 AM

So EVERY minor league statistic doesn't count? He's hitting the crap out of the ball where he's at. He hit over .300 during his call-up last year, why would you assume he's only hitting because he's in AAA? Heck, half of the pitchers in the major leagues should be in AAA!

Tekijawa
06-21-2011, 11:21 AM

I bet even Adam Dunn could hit like 230 down there

JermaineDye05
06-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Dayan went 2-5 tonight to extend his hit streak.

DSpivack
06-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Dayan went 2-5 tonight to extend his hit streak.

It ended in the 2nd game of a DH last night.

https://twitter.com/#!/FutureSox/status/83327043189739520

JermaineDye05
06-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Viciedo is headed to the futures game along with Gregory Infante.

Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110623&content_id=20915964&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws)

SoxSpeed22
06-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Good to see Infante in this game. I haven't seen much of him, so this is a good opportunity.

whitesoxfan
06-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Another homer tonight...

JermaineDye05
06-25-2011, 11:15 PM
Another homer tonight...

Had another hit as well to go 2-5.

4 RBI as well.

BringHomeDaBacon
06-26-2011, 10:44 AM
I heard Ozzie on the radio yesterday. What the hell is his deal with talking about Viciedo like he sucks? It makes no sense whatsoever to verbally tear down your top prospect in the name of defending some guy who is not going to be here next year.

sox1970
06-26-2011, 11:00 AM
I heard Ozzie on the radio yesterday. What the hell is his deal with talking about Viciedo like he sucks? It makes no sense whatsoever to verbally tear down your top prospect in the name of defending some guy who is not going to be here next year.

I've never heard that. In Ozzie's mind, there's no room for him since he's happy with Pierre, Rios, and Quentin in the outfield, and Dunn at DH.

Ozzie's problem isn't with Viciedo. Ozzie's problem is that he thinks Juan Pierre is good.

A. Cavatica
06-26-2011, 11:53 AM
I've never heard that. In Ozzie's mind, there's no room for him since he's happy with Pierre, Rios, and Quentin in the outfield, and Dunn at DH.

Ozzie's problem isn't with Viciedo. Ozzie's problem is that he thinks Juan Pierre is good.

Ozzie's real problem is that he thinks Ozzie is right.

DrCrawdad
06-26-2011, 11:58 AM

Isn't that the same kind of stuff Ozzie said about Beckham before he was called up?

tacosalbarojas
06-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Isn't that the same kind of stuff Ozzie said about Beckham before he was called up?Yes. He also said something about Santiago that I caught at the end of his presser yesterday that was cut off in the middle by Rongey and company, but it was something like "I don't like to talk about those minor league kids, they get me fired."

JermaineDye05
06-27-2011, 08:54 PM
The Tank is 2-2 so far tonight with a double.

He also has a walk and a run scored.

sox1970
06-27-2011, 09:37 PM
The Tank is 2-2 so far tonight with a double.

He also has a walk and a run scored.

3-3. Hitting .330.

To borrow a line from Kenny Williams...

Quite frankly, this starting to piss me off.

DirtySox
06-27-2011, 09:58 PM
3-3. Hitting .330.

To borrow a line from Kenny Williams...

Quite frankly, this starting to piss me off.

Meh. Give it a week for the service time issue. I'll rejoin the complaining after then.

sox1970
06-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Meh. Give it a week for the service time issue. I'll rejoin the complaining after then.

They'll wait to the break just to make it look good.

The service time thing is bull**** in this case. This team is "all in", and given the state of the division and the state of the Sox offense, they need to get somebody to help now.

DirtySox
06-27-2011, 11:43 PM
They'll wait to the break just to make it look good.

The service time thing is bull**** in this case. This team is "all in", and given the state of the division and the state of the Sox offense, they need to get somebody to help now.

Meh. I'm okay with delaying his free agency, especially since his agent is Boras. I'll take that extra year.

cws05champ
06-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Meh. I'm okay with delaying his free agency, especially since his agent is Boras. I'll take that extra year.

I don't think this is a service time issue at all...I think it's an Ozzie issue. Even if he came up now he would not accrue enough service time to void his 2012 contract for $2.5M(and Sox would have to exercise a $3.5M option). And the Sox would still have him under team control through 2014.

DirtySox
06-28-2011, 12:25 AM
I don't think this is a service time issue at all...I think it's an Ozzie issue. Even if he came up now he would not accrue enough service time to void his 2012 contract for $2.5M(and Sox would have to exercise a $3.5M option). And the Sox would still have him under team control through 2014.

The early July cutoff date mentioned is such that Viciedo doesn’t finish this season with more than 1 year of service time. If his call-up is delayed it allows the Sox to avoid that 1 year of service before he becomes a full-time 25-man player. This will postpone his free agency by one year. 6 full years of service time is required to be eligible for free agency. One year of service equates to 172 days. Dayan's stay in the bigs last year earned him 83 days. Thus, 89 days is the maximum the organization can allow Viciedo to earn in 2011. 89 days is just under three months, which why the early July date is being bandied about.

06-28-2011, 01:18 AM

The Quentin, Griffey, and Dye trio we started for a handful of games in 08 would certainly be worse

cards press box
06-28-2011, 05:09 AM

To my knowledge, Dayan Viciedo has not accumulated any major league service time. If the Sox call up Viciedo at the All-Star break, then the Sox should control his rights the rest of this year and six more years after that. Is that correct?

cws05champ
06-28-2011, 08:42 AM
The early July cutoff date mentioned is such that Viciedo doesn’t finish this season with more than 1 year of service time. If his call-up is delayed it allows the Sox to avoid that 1 year of service before he becomes a full-time 25-man player. This will postpone his free agency by one year. 6 full years of service time is required to be eligible for free agency. One year of service equates to 172 days. Dayan's stay in the bigs last year earned him 83 days. Thus, 89 days is the maximum the organization can allow Viciedo to earn in 2011. 89 days is just under three months, which why the early July date is being bandied about.

Yes, but he signed a major league deal, and has put in 2.5 years on that contract. I think he becomes a FA 2 years after his initial 4 year contract ends regardless.

TomBradley72
06-28-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm OK with the service time issue- an extra year of Viciedo is worth waiting an extra week or two- this is a deeply flawed team- so while this move will help- it doesn't address other major issues, like Dunn, Rios and Beckham and our thin bullpen from the right handed side after Santos and Crain.

KW's comments about "my manager isn't ready"- clearly put this on Ozzie- hopefully he "gets it" soon.

DirtySox
06-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Yes, but he signed a major league deal, and has put in 2.5 years on that contract. I think he becomes a FA 2 years after his initial 4 year contract ends regardless.

Hahn has directly stated that both Dayan and Alexei are under club control for their first 6 years of MLB service time.

DirtySox
06-28-2011, 11:34 AM
To my knowledge, Dayan Viciedo has not accumulated any major league service time. If the Sox call up Viciedo at the All-Star break, then the Sox should control his rights the rest of this year and six more years after that. Is that correct?

Dayan Viciedo:
ML Service: 0.083

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-white-sox.html

khan
06-28-2011, 11:37 AM
I too am OK with Viciedo getting more time in Charlotte, due to the service time issue and the agent.

Given that I don't get the sense that this team is good/consistent enough to make the playoffs, I also don't see the rush. Why make [another] rash decision when the goal of the playoffs seems unlikely?

KMcMahon817
06-28-2011, 01:14 PM
I too am OK with Viciedo getting more time in Charlotte, due to the service time issue and the agent.

Given that I don't get the sense that this team is good/consistent enough to make the playoffs, I also don't see the rush. Why make [another] rash decision when the goal of the playoffs seems unlikely?

Unlikely? Not so much. You're allowed your opinion, but the word "unlikely" is a bit farfetched when it comes to the SOX chances of making the playoffs.

If they were in the AL East, sure...it'd be unlikely. But the Tigers and Indians are no better than the SOX.

Viciedo will be playing almost everyday within the next couple weeks.

khan
06-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Unlikely? Not so much. You're allowed your opinion, but the word "unlikely" is a bit farfetched when it comes to the SOX chances of making the playoffs.

If they were in the AL East, sure...it'd be unlikely. But the Tigers and Indians are no better than the SOX.
Actually, I don't recall either team getting no-hit by a pitcher that sucked at the time. I don't recall the tiggs geting embarrassed and humiliated by a 36 year old soft-tosser that's hanging onto a MLB roster spot by a thread. I don't recall either team outright WASTING solid outing after solid outing by their SPs. I don't see either team "playing down" to inferior competition as much as our SOX. I don't see them letting poorly prepared opponents [such as one that just had their manager QUIT on them] beat them. I don't see Cleveland or Detroit with sub-.500 home records.

But most of all, I don't see either team as cowardly surrender monkeys to the twins, or for that matter, the rest of the ALC, as the SOX are. This, coupled with the sub-.500 home record are the two prime reasons why I have my doubts about this year's chances for our SOX.

Great. We can see him perform for a 3rd place team, unless KW can find another hunk of **** in AZ to trade for.

cards press box
06-28-2011, 06:12 PM
The Tigers and Indians are no better than the SOX.

The Indians are not better than the Sox and, even if the Sox don't make any moves, the Indians will likely fall behind them. Detroit has played pretty well but they are not great, either. And the Sox have some moves they can make.

This is one of the moves. The Sox want to maximize Viciedo's service time in Chicago and that makes sense. I expect to see him here with the next couple of weeks, though, and his bat could give the Sox a shot in the arm.

Another move? Trading Edwin Jackson after John Danks comes off the DL. I don't see the Sox really keeping six starters the rest of the way and Jackson appears to be the likely candidate to be moved.

The market for starting pitching at the July deadline is really thin and should be a seller's market. The Sox, therefore, should be able to move Jackson and get a good return for him.

DrCrawdad
06-29-2011, 12:35 AM
Viciedo sucks! He didn't do squat tonight for Charlotte so how then is gonna help the Sox?

SI1020
06-29-2011, 01:14 AM
Viciedo sucks! He didn't do squat tonight for Charlotte so how then is gonna help the Sox? He's just a very raw and incomplete player with a lot of flaws. I think he can hit at the big league level, but some people with a better baseball pedigree than me doubt that too. The Sox are having a horrid year and there is not much down on the farm. We the suffering fans need to have hope and this year hope's name is Dayan Viciedo.

TomBradley72
06-29-2011, 08:17 AM
He's just a very raw and incomplete player with a lot of flaws. I think he can hit at the big league level, but some people with a better baseball pedigree than me doubt that too.

Who?

The guy hit .308 over 30+ games last year and is completely tearing up AAA this year- what else can a prospect do?

DrCrawdad
06-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Who?

The guy hit .308 over 30+ games last year and is completely tearing up AAA this year- what else can a prospect do?

Drop Boros as his agent?

khan
06-29-2011, 02:51 PM
No matter how good Viciedo may or may not be, he simply can't fix this team by himself. It seems as though there are simply too many problems in the roster, in the coaching staff, and now, with the effort for this team to compete this year.

NLaloosh
07-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Who?

He's not completely tearing up AAA, first of all. He's doing very well.

His OBP is .369 and he has hit 13 home runs. I've never seen so much hype for numbers like this. What would that translate to at the big leagye level ? Maybe a .330 OBP and about 8 home runs?

It's not like he's hit 25 home runs down there and he's batting .400.

Plus, I doubt very much that he's any better defensively than Pierre, Rios or Quentin. He's probably worse.

He's also probably worse than the 3 of them on the bases and he is very inexperienced.

Basically, he isn't going to make any difference unless he DH's in place of Dunn. And, the Sox don't want to do that because they NEED Dunn to come around or they are screwed. That's why he's not up here.

JermaineDye05
07-02-2011, 05:04 PM
He's not completely tearing up AAA, first of all. He's doing very well.

His OBP is .369 and he has hit 13 home runs. I've never seen so much hype for numbers like this. What would that translate to at the big leagye level ? Maybe a .330 OBP and about 8 home runs?

It's not like he's hit 25 home runs down there and he's batting .400.

Plus, I doubt very much that he's any better defensively than Pierre, Rios or Quentin. He's probably worse.

He's also probably worse than the 3 of them on the bases and he is very inexperienced.

Basically, he isn't going to make any difference unless he DH's in place of Dunn. And, the Sox don't want to do that because they NEED Dunn to come around or they are screwed. That's why he's not up here.

It's going to be tough for him to do much worse than Pierre.

Chances are pretty good that he'd at the very least be an upgrade over Juan.

JermaineDye05
07-02-2011, 07:25 PM
In game 1 of a double header, Dayan was 2-2 with 2 HR and a walk

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 07:15 PM
The Tank is 0-1 right now with a walk.

He does however have an outfield assist, throwing a runner out at third.

NLaloosh
07-03-2011, 07:19 PM
It's going to be tough for him to do much worse than Pierre.

Chances are pretty good that he'd at the very least be an upgrade over Juan.

If Viciedo came up tomorrow and played every day, my prediction would be that after 3-4 weeks Sox fans would all be saying, "gee I thought he would be better than this".

Eventually, he will likely be a good ML hitter - not great and not right now. I doubt that he ever makes an all-star team.

He's not gonna rake right now in the bigs and the Sox would be worse on defense and on the bases if he replaced Pierre. There would essentially be no substantive gain.

As I said, replacing Dunn with him helps the team right now but the Sox can't do that for obvious reasons. Thus, Viciedo is still in Charlotte.

What is sad is that the Sox have noone to bring up from the minors that would be any better than who they have now. The Sox system is so bad. There are reasons that it is regularly ranked near the very bottom of baseball. I would say that there is not one player in the whole Sox minor league system that will ever play in a major league all-star game. That's sad.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 07:25 PM
If Viciedo came up tomorrow and played every day, my prediction would be that after 3-4 weeks Sox fans would all be saying, "gee I thought he would be better than this".

Eventually, he will likely be a good ML hitter - not great and not right now. I doubt that he ever makes an all-star team.

He's not gonna rake right now in the bigs and the Sox would be worse on defense and on the bases if he replaced Pierre. There would essentially be no substantive gain.

As I said, replacing Dunn with him helps the team right now but the Sox can't do that for obvious reasons. Thus, Viciedo is still in Charlotte.

What is sad is that the Sox have noone to bring up from the minors that would be any better than who they have now. The Sox system is so bad. There are reasons that it is regularly ranked near the very bottom of baseball. I would say that there is not one player in the whole Sox minor league system that will ever play in a major league all-star game. That's sad.

I agree with the defense part, but it's hard to be much worse on the bases.

As long as Dayan isn't running into outs, he should be fine.

I'm doubtful Ozzie will give him the green light as much as he does Pierre.

Daver
07-03-2011, 07:32 PM
As long as Dayan isn't running into outs, he should be fine.

I'm doubtful Ozzie will give him the green light as much as he does Pierre.

Seriously?

They would be adding another station to station baserunner to a team that already has Konerko, Dunn, Quentin, and to a lesser extent AJ.

I sometimes wonder if you have any grasp at all of how this game works.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Seriously?

They would be adding another station to station baserunner to a team that already has Konerko, Dunn, Quentin, and to a lesser extent AJ.

Considering you're backing Juan Pierre, I wonder the same thing about you.

And you do realize we won a world series with Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko, AJ Pierzynski, Joe Crede, and Carl Everett (sometimes Frank Thomas) in the same lineup, right?

Daver
07-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Considering you're backing Juan Pierre, I wonder the same thing about you.

And you do realize we won a world series with Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko, AJ Pierzynski, Joe Crede, and Carl Everett (sometimes Frank Thomas) in the same lineup, right?

I'm no longer wondering, I have been convinced.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Seriously?

Is Dunn that much faster than Viciedo? If Viciedo bats .230 as DH, that's almost .70 points higher than Dunn. Is Viciedo at least a .230 MLB hitter?

Daver, what would your expectations be for Viciedo if he took the DH spot from Dunn? As a DH, there's no defensive liability. Does the DH have to be faster than Dunn? I don't see your point? Isn't the DH's job hitting?

Daver
07-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Is Dunn that much faster than Viciedo? If Viciedo bats .230 as DH, that's almost .70 points higher than Dunn. Is Viciedo at least a .230 MLB hitter?

Daver, what would your expectations be for Viciedo if he took the DH spot from Dunn? As a DH, there's no defensive liability. Does the DH have to be faster than Dunn? I don't see your point? Isn't the DH's job hitting?

The White Sox are not going to sit a player that is making 11 million a year for an untested rookie.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 08:03 PM
The White Sox are not going to sit a player that is making 11 million a year for an untested rookie.

You just lost all credibility with that statement.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-03-2011, 08:12 PM

I agree with your view of reality, but at some point, someone has to to bite the bullet for Dunn (barring a fortitious injury). When does he get benched? (or sent down to work things out? He'll clear waivers)

Viciedo aside, Teahan, Morel, Vizquel, and anyone from the minor league system is a better option than Dunn at DH.

Daver
07-03-2011, 08:27 PM
I agree with your view of reality, but at some point, someone has to to bite the bullet for Dunn (barring a fortitious injury). When does he get benched? (or sent down to work things out? He'll clear waivers)

Viciedo aside, Teahan, Morel, Vizquel, and anyone from the minor league system is a better option than Dunn at DH.

He can't be sent down, it has nothing to do with waivers. I would not be at all surprised if the majority of the roster was not put on waivers after the deadline to make it easier to make waiver deals.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 08:30 PM
He can't be sent down, it has nothing to do with waivers. I would not be at all surprised if the majority of the roster was not put on waivers after the deadline to make it easier to make waiver deals.

Yeah, he would have to clear waivers.

Not sure he'd do that regardless of how horrible he's playing.

Although, if someone did claim him, the team would most likely decide to just let his contract go to someone else like the Blue Jays did with Rios in 2009 when we claimed him.

Daver
07-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Yeah, he would have to clear waivers.

Not sure he'd do that regardless of how horrible he's playing.

Although, if someone did claim him, the team would most likely decide to just let his contract go to someone else like the Blue Jays did with Rios in 2009 when we claimed him.

What are you talking about?

He can't be sent down, it has nothing to do with clearing waivers.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Release him. If he's claimed, so be it. Otherwise, he can walk away, salary intact. At some point someone has to decide if Dunn's on the bus, or waiting for it.

Noneck
07-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Release him. If he's claimed, so be it. Otherwise, he can walk away, salary intact. At some point someone has to decide if Dunn's on the bus, or waiting for it.

You do realize if he is released and WHEN someone picks him up, the other team only has to pay him league minimum and the Sox are responsible for the rest of his contract?

Daver
07-03-2011, 08:53 PM

That's not going to happen, it's the equivilent of flushing 22 million dollars down the toilet.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-03-2011, 08:57 PM
You do realize if he is released and WHEN someone picks him up, the other team only has to pay him league minimum and the Sox are responsible for the rest of his contract?
I do realize that. Responsibity has a price. Sometimes it's extremely steep.

SoxSpeed22
07-03-2011, 08:57 PM
I don't consider 38 games for Viciedo as being tested. Yeah, he did well last September, but that's still only a month.
I would wish people would drop the idea of DFAing Dunn. It's not going to happen because it is just a reckless decision on the Sox part. No professional organization, in any business, would throw away that much money because they can.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-03-2011, 09:07 PM
That's not going to happen, it's the equivilent of flushing 22 million dollars down the toilet.

Having him on the roster is flushing 22 million down the toilet and taking up a roster spot. Getting rid of him is easier said than done.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 09:07 PM
I don't consider 38 games for Viciedo as being tested. Yeah, he did well last September, but that's still only a month.
I would wish people would drop the idea of DFAing Dunn. It's not going to happen because it is just a reckless decision on the Sox part. No professional organization, in any business, would throw away that much money because they can.

He got a taste of major league pitching and passed with flying colors.

Now he's doing exceptionally well in AAA.

You can't keep him down there. You have to let him prove himself.

Daver
07-03-2011, 09:13 PM
He got a taste of major league pitching and passed with flying colors.

If striking out in 1 out of every four at bats while walking exactly twice is flying colors, your standards are incredibly low.

The rest of us prefer to view things in a more realistic fashion.

JermaineDye05
07-03-2011, 09:16 PM
If striking out in 1 out of every four at bats while walking exactly twice is flying colors, your standards are incredibly low.

He also had an .840 OPS.

JermaineDye05
07-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Dayan 1-1 with 3 BB.

Either he's become more patient at the plate this season, or teams just aren't pitching to him.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-07-2011, 12:29 AM
Dayan 1-1 with 3 BB.

Either he's become more patient at the plate this season, or teams just aren't pitching to him.

In Triple-A? I doubt it, although that's probably more along the lines of my wishful thinking that his discipline is getting better.

JermaineDye05
07-07-2011, 12:32 AM
In Triple-A? I doubt it, although that's probably more along the lines of my wishful thinking that his discipline is getting better.

Yeah, none of the at-bats were in situations where he would have been intentionally walked.

GoSox2K3
07-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Dayan 1-1 with 3 BB.

Too bad the White Sox offense really doesn't need another good hitter.

asindc
07-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Too bad the White Sox offense really doesn't need another good hitter.

We need more Lillibridges!

DirtySox
07-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Sickels once again on Dayan, previewing the Futures game roster:

Dayan Viciedo (http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/players/65892/dayan-viciedo), OF, Chicago White Sox (http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/teams/chicago-white-sox): Cuban defector signed to $ 10 million contract in 2008. Hitting .322/.364/.528 with 15 homers, 20 walks, 65 strikeouts in 335 at-bats for Triple-A Charlotte. Power to all fields, should produce a solid batting average with plenty of homers despite so-so strike zone judgment. Poor defender at any position and likely a born DH, but he'll hit. Age 22. Major League ETA: 2011.http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/7/7/2263375/2011-mlb-all-star-futures-game-roster-review-world-team-hitters#storyjump

doublem23
07-07-2011, 12:55 PM

Anybody who could look at Dayan's line from last season, as a 21-year-old rookie, and not be impressed is not living on any reality on Planet Earth.

That, or they still think it's 1911.

SoxNation05
07-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Anybody who could look at Dayan's line from last season, as a 21-year-old rookie, and not be impressed is not living on any reality on Planet Earth.

That, or they still think it's 1911.

If you hit that many home rund in that amount of time in 1911 the league would be verrrry impressed.

JermaineDye05
07-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Well, he just hit his 16th HR in the 1st, a three run bomb.

JermaineDye05
07-07-2011, 07:58 PM
And now Mike Minor intentionally walks Dayan with 1 out in the 3rd.

If pitchers aren't going to pitch to Dayan in AAA, I see no point in leaving him down there.

Daver
07-07-2011, 08:04 PM
If pitchers aren't going to pitch to Dayan in AAA, I see no point in leaving him down there.

Because the minute he struggles against MLB pitching he loses all the trade value he has built by playing in a band box against pitchers that most likely never wear an MLB uniform?

JermaineDye05
07-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Because the minute he struggles against MLB pitching he loses all the trade value he has built by playing in a band box against pitchers that most likely never wear an MLB uniform?

:rolleyes:

guillensdisciple
07-07-2011, 08:10 PM

So then how does anyone make it to the majors again?

Daver
07-07-2011, 08:15 PM
So then how does anyone make it to the majors again?

Actually being able to play a position helps.

JermaineDye05
07-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Actually being able to play a position helps.

Just because he plays the position poorly, isn't a good enough reason to leave him down.

Daver
07-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Just because he plays the position poorly, isn't a good enough reason to leave him down.

You can't be serious.

JermaineDye05
07-07-2011, 09:23 PM
You can't be serious.

No, you can't be serious.

Frater Perdurabo
07-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Daver, I understand that a bandbox ballpark would inflate home run numbers, but wouldn't it also deflate batting averages and doubles, since there are smaller gaps into which fly balls and liners can fall?

Viciedo is hitting both for good power and high average. And he's improved his walk rate. So all signs point to him being able to hit well at the MLB level, albeit likely after a period of adjustment.

I'm not going to argue on his fielding, because it seems the consensus is that he's below average.

DirtySox
07-07-2011, 09:48 PM
I seriously wonder if Kenny is looking to trade him in a go for broke must win this year move. Someone who knows the organization better than I alluded that Dayan might be on the block.

Daver
07-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Daver, I understand that a bandbox ballpark would inflate home run numbers, but wouldn't it also deflate batting averages and doubles, since there are smaller gaps into which fly balls and liners can fall?

Viciedo is hitting both for good power and high average. And he's improved his walk rate. So all signs point to him being able to hit well at the MLB level, albeit likely after a period of adjustment.

I'm not going to argue on his fielding, because it seems the consensus is that he's below average.

What are lineouts in most parks bounce off the walls in Charlotte.

The best hitter in any lineup is usually walked quite a bit, even if not intentionally, it is not a real indicator of plate discipline. There are all kinds of players that could hit well at every level of the minors, see a host of former recent White Sox first round draft picks.

His trade value is maximized with him playing in Charlotte as opposed to learning how to play in Birmingham, and he really has no place on a roster that has three players with a track record of hitting at the MLB level already to play DH.

Even if the Sox were to go the rebuilding route, he is not a player that you can build around, you build around players that can make the players around them better.

doublem23
07-07-2011, 10:47 PM
You can't be serious.

Yeah, the Sox should have kept the Big Hurt in Birmingham until he became a Gold Glove 1st baseman!

Daver
07-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Yeah, the Sox should have kept the Big Hurt in Birmingham until he became a Gold Glove 1st baseman!

Yeah, because putting up offensive numbers in a cow pasture is no different than a bandbox, against better pitching, and first base is almost identical to playing left field.

We'll overlook the fact that Dayan failed at playing first base.

SoxSpeed22
07-07-2011, 11:39 PM
If only there was some position in the American League that allows you to only hit. I think the manager designates someone for that position. I got nothing.

Noneck
07-08-2011, 12:32 AM
I seriously wonder if Kenny is looking to trade him in a go for broke must win this year move. Someone who knows the organization better than I alluded that Dayan might be on the block.

Or to package him in order to dump a salary, Rios or Dunn.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-08-2011, 04:27 AM
Yeah, because putting up offensive numbers in a cow pasture is no different than a bandbox, against better pitching, and first base is almost identical to playing left field.

I don't think Dayan failed at 1B. He failed at 3B. But moving away from 1B was because Konerko and Dunn are higher on the depth chart and are locked in for the next 3+ years. I wouldn't be surprised at all after there gone and if Dayan is still on the Sox that he get moved back to 1B.

cws05champ
07-08-2011, 08:50 AM
What are lineouts in most parks bounce off the walls in Charlotte.

The best hitter in any lineup is usually walked quite a bit, even if not intentionally, it is not a real indicator of plate discipline. There are all kinds of players that could hit well at every level of the minors, see a host of former recent White Sox first round draft picks.

Dayan is hitting .343 with 7 of his 16 HR on the road. His SLG % is 22 points higher on the road, his avg is 37 points higher and his OPS is 70 points higher on the road. So how is Charlotte helping him again?

I agree that he is not a good defender, and will never be one. But we are talking about this year when the sox are "All In". They need another bat in the lineup that can produce. Pierre has been bad for most of the year until recently, Dunn has been worse than awful and Quentin and Pierre are not great defenders in the OF anyways. I don't think you'd lose that much playing Dayan over one of those guys.

Is your argument that the Sox should keep his trade value up for a trade to help the team this year or trade for other prospects they can build around in the future? I just don't have any confidence in the current regime to make a trade in either scenario that helps us long term based off KW recent track record.

doublem23
07-08-2011, 09:05 AM

Man, it's going to be awfully embarrassing when someone takes that 15 seconds out of their day to check Dayan's home/road splits to see if he's actually mashing in Charlotte and struggling elsewhere, as you seem to believe.

Dayan is hitting .343 with 7 of his 16 HR on the road. His SLG % is 22 points higher on the road, his avg is 37 points higher and his OPS is 70 points higher on the road. So how is Charlotte helping him again?

You keep beating that drum, Daver. I think we all know the make or break characteristic of championship teams is the defensive quality of their corner outfielders.

JermaineDye05
07-08-2011, 09:46 AM

Man, it's going to be awfully embarrassing when someone takes that 15 seconds out of their day to check Dayan's home/road splits to see if he's actually mashing in Charlotte and struggling elsewhere, as you seem to believe.

You keep beating that drum, Daver. I think we all know the make or break characteristic of championship teams is the defensive quality of their corner outfielders.

http://i.imgur.com/5lpao.jpg

SI1020
07-08-2011, 01:44 PM
I don't think Dayan failed at 1B. He failed at 3B. But moving away from 1B was because Konerko and Dunn are higher on the depth chart and are locked in for the next 3+ years. I wouldn't be surprised at all after there gone and if Dayan is still on the Sox that he get moved back to 1B. I also thought his best shot was at 1st. He was beyond bad at 3rd, and a real adventure so far in the OF. At 1st he looked like he might eventually be passable. Like you said with Konerko and Dunn there was no room.

SoxNation05
07-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Daver is talking about Charlotte and he is so hard headed he fails to look at Dayan's statistics on the road.

KMcMahon817
07-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Daver is talking about Charlotte and he is so hard headed he fails to look at Dayan's statistics on the road.

Just figuring that out?

SoxNation05
07-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Just figuring that out?

No?

JermaineDye05
07-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Charlotte had a DH today. Dayan was not in the lineup for either.

JB98
07-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Charlotte had a DH today. Dayan was not in the lineup for either.

Probably a travel day. He's playing in the Futures Game tomorrow.

DirtySox
07-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Probably a travel day. He's playing in the Futures Game tomorrow.

This is indeed the case.

DirtySox
07-10-2011, 02:00 AM
Dayan is set to DH in the Futures game. Disappointed as I wanted to see him flounder around in the outfield.

soxnut1018
07-10-2011, 05:05 AM

You can never win a world series with guys like Pat Burrell, Nick Swisher, Manny Ramirez, or Jermaine Dye in your outfield.

DirtySox
07-10-2011, 05:38 PM
The Futures game is on at 5 PM on ESPN2.

DSpivack
07-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Viciedo strikes out in his 1st AB, against Tyler Skaggs.

DirtySox
07-10-2011, 06:19 PM
The USA roster is much more interesting than the World counterpart.

Looking forward to seeing Kipnis, Machado, Harper, Mesoraco, and Myers.

DSpivack
07-10-2011, 06:20 PM
The USA roster is much more interesting than the World counterpart.

Looking forward to seeing Kipnis, Machado, Harper, Mesoraco, and Myers.

Besides Viciedo, Gregory Infante also on the World roster.

DirtySox
07-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Big fan of Kipnis. He will be in Cleveland sometime soon.

balke
07-10-2011, 09:23 PM
You can never win a world series with guys like Pat Burrell, Nick Swisher, Manny Ramirez, or Jermaine Dye in your outfield.

I think it's premature to compare Viciedo to Manny to be honest. He could easily be a .275 20 HR OFer who plays WAAAAAAYYYYYYY worse defense than Jermaine Dye ever did. Of course Dye is a former gold glover so this isn't surprising.

Everything he's doing is being done in the minor leagues. I think Daver would accept Manny Ramirez at LF if he were around. He's not though.

I do think Pat Burrell might be the right fit there though. Viciedo probably wouldn't even be that good defensively - but his bat might be reasonable to expect.

So as long as the Sox get Howard, Utley, Rollins, Polanco, and the rest go ahead and bring up Viciedo.

DirtySox
07-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Five Non-Trade Solutions (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=14530)

PalehosePlanet
07-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Five Non-Trade Solutions (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=14530)

Amazing how obvious this is to everyone but a miniscule few. Unfortunately, our "Manager" is in the very, very, very small minority. Mind numbing, perplexing, flummoxing....I could go on but what's the point?

JermaineDye05
07-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Viciedo was removed in the bottom of the sixth inning of Charlotte's game today.

Any word on if it was an injury or if he could possibly be on his way up?

A. Cavatica
07-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Viciedo was removed in the bottom of the sixth inning of Charlotte's game today.

Any word on if it was an injury or if he could possibly be on his way up?

Or traded...

tacosalbarojas
07-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Or traded...
"When we have something to announce, we'll announce it."

DirtySox
07-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Or traded...

For a relief pitcher. The meltdown threads would be depressingly hilarious.

A. Cavatica
07-23-2011, 11:32 PM
For a relief pitcher. The meltdown threads would be depressingly hilarious.

For Alan Embree or a reasonable facsimile.

JermaineDye05
07-24-2011, 01:28 AM
@scottmerkin (http://twitter.com/#%21/scottmerkin) Scott Merkin

Nothing more known about Viciedo's departure at this point

DirtySox
07-24-2011, 11:35 AM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/244888190/mug_normal.jpg
MDGonzales (http://twitter.com/#%21/MDGonzales) Mark Gonzales
Viciedo hurt thumb, was pulled out of Sat's game, not believed to be broken
1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/MDGonzales/status/95154674184896513) Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

hawkjt
08-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Looked at the most recent Knights box scores....Dayan is 5 for his last 26 in the last nine games.....not back in a good groove yet,clearly. See him in September,I guess.:?:

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Looked at the most recent Knights box scores....Dayan is 5 for his last 26 in the last nine games.....not back in a good groove yet,clearly. See him in September,I guess.:?:

So stupid. I would think they'd want to get him up here just for the reason of being able to have him eligible for the playoffs, just in case the Sox do somehow make them. If he's a September callup, he isn't eligible. And won't that be just awesome if the do call him up, make the playoffs, and he performs like every thinks he will, only to have to have him sit on the bench and not bolster this corpse ball lineup? Konerko is clearly hurting. Could easily D.L. him retroactive and he'd miss a week.

chisoxjtrain
08-16-2011, 11:57 AM
So stupid. I would think they'd want to get him up here just for the reason of being able to have him eligible for the playoffs, just in case the Sox do somehow make them. If he's a September callup, he isn't eligible. And won't that be just awesome if the do call him up, make the playoffs, and he performs like every thinks he will, only to have to have him sit on the bench and not bolster this corpse ball lineup? Konerko is clearly hurting. Could easily D.L. him retroactive and he'd miss a week.

You can't do that because Konerko has been playing.

SSrep
08-16-2011, 11:58 AM

He played on Sunday, didn't he? You cannot DL somebody retroactively if they played.

jcw218
08-16-2011, 12:05 PM
So stupid. I would think they'd want to get him up here just for the reason of being able to have him eligible for the playoffs, just in case the Sox do somehow make them. If he's a September callup, he isn't eligible.

The deadline for playoff eligibility is 8/31. Dayan could still be placed on the post season roster even if called up after that date as an injury replacement.

Konerko is clearly hurting. Could easily D.L. him retroactive and he'd miss a week.

While Konerko may be hurting, he has still played, any DL stint would be effective from the 1st game that Konerko missed, you cannot go back to the beginning of the NYY series when Konerkop missed 3 games

hawkjt
08-16-2011, 03:23 PM
PK is hitting a ton as a DH the last week,so we need him in the lineup everyday.

Maybe they will bring up Dayan in August if he starts hitting better. Right now, he is not hitting well enough to help.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-16-2011, 03:30 PM
You can't do that because Konerko has been playing.

My bad, totally let that one slip my mind.