PDA

View Full Version : Nice article on Ozzie and kids in the clubhouse

jaguiar2
06-13-2011, 11:29 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0614-white-sox-chicago--20110613,0,6175104.story

Enjoyed this article, I think it shows a nice side of Ozzie.

Ron Karkovice
06-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Very cool article. Thanks for sharing.

BainesHOF
06-14-2011, 12:03 AM
Kids don't belong in the workplace, much less in a baseball clubhouse at 10:30 p.m.

Players use to hang out in the clubhouse after games and talk baseball over a couple beers. This story makes it seem like the Sox clubhouse is Romper Room after the game. It's weird. One, if I was a player, I sure the heck wouldn't want kids in the clubhouse after every game. Two, if I was a parent, I sure the heck wouldn't want my kids in the clubhouse after games. Many players are, to be polite, less than role models.

I've all for Ozzie and everyone else being nice to kids, but it's sort of odd to read this story and then consider how his own kids act.

Ron Karkovice
06-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Kids don't belong in the workplace, much less in a baseball clubhouse at 10:30 p.m.

Players use to hang out in the clubhouse after games and talk baseball over a couple beers. This story makes it seem like the Sox clubhouse is Romper Room after the game. It's weird. One, if I was a player, I sure the heck wouldn't want kids in the clubhouse after every game. Two, if I was a parent, I sure the heck wouldn't want my kids in the clubhouse after games. Many players are, to be polite, less than role models.

I've all for Ozzie and everyone else being nice to kids, but it's sort of odd to read this story and then consider how his own kids act.

come onnn

jaguiar2
06-14-2011, 09:44 AM

Well that's the thing, you're not a player. These guys spend so much time away from their family its a nice thing to do, its weird you have an issue with it seeing how every guy they talked to absolutely loved the policy. Some people will use any reason to bash Ozzie.

Zisk77
06-14-2011, 10:05 AM

Yes, in the 50's. Then the players got PAID, and no longer do that anyway. Lighten up grampa.

TheOldRoman
06-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Nice story. The only thing strange to me is that the players stay around the clubhouse after the game. I would figure they would get the hell out as soon as they could, seeing as most of them have been there since two or three.

rcescato
06-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Its a nice article and a nice story. Ozzie loves these kids.

The Immigrant
06-14-2011, 10:48 AM

http://www.diychatroom.com/attachments/f39/23545d1281121070-guy-borrowed-my-mower-eastwoodmylawn.jpg

kufram
06-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Unless I read it wrong these are the player's kids and the player's clubhouse and it shows the very positive side of Ozzie which anyone can see, if they want to, when he's talking to fans. I don't like everything that Ozzie does but bashing this really is unwarranted. Ozzie has a very funny side and, whether you like his family or not, has a very keen sense of family as it appears the White Sox as an organization have. It should be applauded.

voodoochile
06-14-2011, 12:06 PM

I am shocked... SHOCKED do you read me... SHOCKED that you feel this way...:rolleyes:

voodoochile
06-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Nice article... maybe they need to bring the kids on the road with 'em...

harwar
06-14-2011, 12:17 PM
kids and animals always like me for some reason .. i bet Ozzie is like that .. i don't think it would have worked when guys like Albert Bell was here though .. or in the 60's either .. i can't imagine kids running around the yankees clubhouse with Reggie Jackson all sprawled out reading the paper ..

SI1020
06-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I have not been a big fan of Ozzie's managing the last few years. That is one thing but this is entirely another. In this day and age when kids are more and more seen as an unwanted burden, I sincerely applaud Ozzie for taking such a genuine interest. These kids will always remember the kindness and attention Ozzie showed them, and hopefully it will influence how they deal with kids in the future.

Soxfest
06-14-2011, 12:48 PM
I thought at first this thread was about Ozzie's kids in the dugout.:D:

hawkjt
06-14-2011, 01:09 PM
I suspect it is more often the day games when the kids are around.
And I also figure that they do not hang around that long,just run around while their Dads are getting dressed or treated,and out the door.

If the players like it,fine. The Sox seem to be able to attract free agents under Ozzies run,and I assume that players giving him the thumbs up around the league does not hurt that effort.

soxfan1965
06-14-2011, 10:04 PM
I give Ozzie this-->he has a big heart, good people skills in his own way, allowing the kids to lighten things in the clubhouse. He is a family oriented guy. Players the Sox want to keep want to stay here because of him, how he treats their kids. He probably has the best skills when he has to tell a player they have to let him go, via trade (like Iguchi, when Ozzie was in tears), released or sent down to the minors.

Brian26
06-14-2011, 10:23 PM

Yes, in the 50's. Then the players got PAID, and no longer do that anyway. Lighten up grampa.

Hawk always talks about the '83 team doing this. I'm not sure if he's mentioned it on the air, but the story comes up at Soxfest every year. He talks about Koosman, Booter Hill, Luzinski, Fisk and Tidrow sitting in the cubby hole underneath the stands until two o'clock in the morning after games. It's probably a different era that you won't see again.

BainesHOF
06-15-2011, 12:51 AM
Some of you guys are funny. You really think a manager has a big impact on where a player plays? It's almost always about the money. And does anybody think a player is going to publicly take on his manager about kids in the clubhouse? Can anyone name a good manager who allows kids to run free in the clubhouse on a daily basis?

This is just one of many examples that shows Ozzie is more concerned about being well-liked than with being a leader. Similarly, the trouble with many parents these days is they try to be friends with their kids instead of being parents.

voodoochile
06-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Some of you guys are funny. You really think a manager has a big impact on where a player plays? It's almost always about the money. And does anybody think a player is going to publicly take on his manager about kids in the clubhouse? Can anyone name a good manager who allows kids to run free in the clubhouse on a daily basis?

This is just one of many examples that shows Ozzie is more concerned about being well-liked than with being a leader. Similarly, the trouble with many parents these days is they try to be friends with their kids instead of being parents.

Don't you wish you actually knew as much about what goes on in a MLB locker room as you claim to?

TomBradley72
06-15-2011, 08:58 AM

So you're somehow extrapolating something Ozzie has been doing for years and that the players seem to really appreciate- into pschoanalysis on his desire to be liked vs. being a leader (I completely disagree) as well as the state of parenting in the U.S. overall?

Players wouldn't take him on publicly- but I'm sure he'd hear about it privately- if not from the players themselves then via the coaching staff or the captain (PK), etc..

These guys are away from home in some way or another from mid-February through September or October (hopefully)- this seems like a creative way to deal with that and they seem to appreciate it. I can't say this specific approach has an impact- but the White Sox have dramatically improved their ability to retain and attract players over the past 10 years and it's not always because they are the highest bidder.

All good leaders try to find creative ways to create chemistry, a sense of "family", help the people they lead to balance work with family, etc.- nothing is perfect and not everything works- but I'll give Ozzie credit for having the balls to try something like this.

kufram
06-15-2011, 10:17 AM

If I was being paid millions of dollars to play baseball and had a choice where I played, which some players like PK, Peavy, etc. do, I would certainly not go somewhere that the manager would mis-use me or limit my potential.

Who said the kids were "running free"? Ozzie whistles after his press time and the kids come running to him. He takes them to their Dads. What's your problem? Kids don't go running and jumping into the arms of people they are even a little unsure of. This tells me something good about Ozzie.

You know one can be a good friend to one's kids and be a good parent at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive. Your posts tell me something too.

Ranger
06-15-2011, 02:43 PM
BainesHOF being a crabass? Don't buy it.