PDA

View Full Version : Peanuts and the ballpark

Fenway
06-12-2011, 06:34 PM
http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/articles/2011/06/12/with_ban_allergic_red_sox_fans_cheer_breathe/?p1=Well_Health_links

Are we close to seeing peanuts just banned from the ballpark?

Nobody really understands why more people are coming down with this...but it is real.

chisoxfanatic
06-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Yea, people are allergic to those things. But, they also seem to be the messiest ballpark food on the menu. If someone leaves a nacho helmet or a cup, it's easy to clean that up. But, people constantly leave these things under their seats, then they blow all around their area, and make a huge mess. I wish the stuff that was sold was shell less peanuts...Like Planter's or something.

Fenway
06-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Yea, people are allergic to those things. But, they also seem to be the messiest ballpark food on the menu. If someone leaves a nacho helmet or a cup, it's easy to clean that up. But, people constantly leave these things under their seats, then they blow all around their area, and make a huge mess. I wish the stuff that was sold was shell less peanuts...Like Planter's or something.

I think that is the big part of the problem....

Frater Perdurabo
06-12-2011, 06:54 PM
My son is highly allergic to peanuts. His doctor warned us about the risk of taking him to a ballgame.

I'm not a scientist, but my amateur theory is that genetic engineering/cross-breeding, new pesticides, or a combination of both, is a significant cause of the recent (last decade or so) significant explosion in the instances of food allergies.

WhiteSox5187
06-12-2011, 07:04 PM
I have a mild peanut allergy, if I eat them it burns my throat a lot but nothing TOO serious happens, but my understanding is that there are some people who are so allergic to peanuts that even coming into contact with them can cause serious problems (I am like that with fish in case anyone was curious). It seems like if that is the case, then it makes sense.

Harry Potter
06-12-2011, 07:16 PM
I love me some peanuts (with shells) at the old ballpark :cool::)

Sox
06-12-2011, 08:14 PM
http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/articles/2011/06/12/with_ban_allergic_red_sox_fans_cheer_breathe/?p1=Well_Health_links

Are we close to seeing peanuts just banned from the ballpark?

Nobody really understands why more people are coming down with this...but it is real.

I don't foresee a ban on peanuts per say. I see more ball parks offering a section where it's peanut free as they already have at some of the MLB parks that were listed in the article. I would be for that.

kaufsox
06-12-2011, 08:23 PM
My son is highly allergic to peanuts. His doctor warned us about the risk of taking him to a ballgame.

I'm not a scientist, but my amateur theory is that genetic engineering/cross-breeding, new pesticides, or a combination of both, is a significant cause of the recent (last decade or so) significant explosion in the instances of food allergies.

Not to mention better allergy testing

HomeFish
06-12-2011, 10:01 PM
What about Pistachios? Can people with peanut allergies generally eat them? They could be a good substitute.

tebman
06-12-2011, 10:18 PM
The increase in food allergies, especially peanuts, is real. There was a good article (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/07/110207fa_fact_groopman) that desribed it in The New Yorker magazine a few months ago.

My 26 year-old son often comes with me to Sox games. For as long as I can remember I would buy a bag of peanuts in the parking lot or inside the park and we'd munch on them during the game. About a year ago he noticed some weird discomfort in his mouth and after review and a process of elimination discovered that he had developed a peanut allergy. This was at age 25 after he'd been eating peanuts and peanut-based products his whole life.

We've since learned that adult-onset allergies aren't that uncommon, but what is it with peanuts? The doctors who study this have theories but research is inconclusive and nobody really knows. It's truly weird.

kaufsox
06-13-2011, 11:00 AM
The increase in food allergies, especially peanuts, is real. There was a good article (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/07/110207fa_fact_groopman) that desribed it in The New Yorker magazine a few months ago.

We've since learned that adult-onset allergies aren't that uncommon, but what is it with peanuts? The doctors who study this have theories but research is inconclusive and nobody really knows. It's truly weird.

Adult onset is truly a weird thing. My mother developed an allergy to strawberries in her fifties! Kind of related, kind of not: I'm not allergic per se, but every other year, or three years I get horrible hay fever. I've heard of seasonal allergies, are there biennial allergies?

doublem23
06-13-2011, 11:07 AM

Yeah, but shell-less peanuts suck compared to the real kind. It sucks, but I know how insanely lethal this peanut allergy is, so if I have to give them up for the greater good, oh well. A few years ago when I was working for the Skokie Park District, all our facilities had a dedicated non-peanut room in which not even the slightest trace of peanut products could be in there, just the smallest contamination by peanut oil was possibly life threatening to the kids with the most severe allergies.

Really, really feel bad for these kids and now adults that have to deal with that.

PeteWard
06-13-2011, 11:12 AM
This reminds me of the "Curb Your Enthusiasm" episode, "The Benadryl Brownie" when LD accidentally serves a dish with peanuts in it to Richard Lewis' date - who is allergic to them.

miker
06-13-2011, 11:59 AM
I don't foresee a ban on peanuts per say. I see more ball parks offering a section where it's peanut free as they already have at some of the MLB parks that were listed in the article. I would be for that.

Do the people at the game that respond to medical emergencies have epinephrine pens?

Marqhead
06-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Save us George Washington Carver! For the love of god save us!

GoGoCrede
06-13-2011, 12:27 PM
I would be sad if they got banned, but understand why it would be so. A few months back on a flight, peanuts were banned because someone on board was allergic. I don't mind giving them up if it means potentially saving a life.

Adult onset is truly a weird thing. My mother developed an allergy to strawberries in her fifties! Kind of related, kind of not: I'm not allergic per se, but every other year, or three years I get horrible hay fever. I've heard of seasonal allergies, are there biennial allergies?

I drank soy milk as a baby, but am now allergic to it. Odd.

GoGoCrede
06-13-2011, 12:28 PM

They are easy to sweep if you have a push broom. I used to work in a movie theater and it was easier than you'd think to just get a big push broom and sweep up all the popcorn.

downstairs
06-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Sounds like an overreaction. I like the peanut-free section idea, with priority going to those with the allergy. Most parks don't sell out any games other than opening day, so it wouldn't be that hard to organize.

g0g0
06-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Sounds like an overreaction. I like the peanut-free section idea, with priority going to those with the allergy. Most parks don't sell out any games other than opening day, so it wouldn't be that hard to organize.

+1 Having a peanut-free section would solve the problem. They already have family sections which is great too. It would break my heart not being able to take my kid to a baseball game because he couldn't breathe in the stands. This would solve the problem perfectly.

ElevenUp
06-13-2011, 04:45 PM
What about Pistachios? Can people with peanut allergies generally eat them? They could be a good substitute.

Pistachios are tree nuts. A lot of people who have severe peanut allergies are also allergic to tree nuts.

Do the people at the game that respond to medical emergencies have epinephrine pens?

There are trained paramedics at US Cellular field and they would more than likely have epinephrine if needed, but most people with a severe peanut (or any significant food or insect allergy) should have their own pen with them at all times.

TheOldRoman
06-13-2011, 05:20 PM
I am a little ignorant on this because I luckily don't have any allergies, but it never occured to me that 1) peanut allergies could be so severe, and 2) people could be deprived of baseball because of peanuts being present. It is sad that some fans have never gone to a park because of their allergies. I would be in favor of all teams offering a peanut-free section for every game.

GoGoCrede
06-13-2011, 09:31 PM
I am a little ignorant on this because I luckily don't have any allergies, but it never occured to me that 1) peanut allergies could be so severe, and 2) people could be deprived of baseball because of peanuts being present. It is sad that some fans have never gone to a park because of their allergies. I would be in favor of all teams offering a peanut-free section for every game.

Yeah, some can be horribly severe. I read a story a few years back of a girl who died because she made out with her boyfriend and he had eaten peanut butter earlier, which caused her to have a severe allergic reaction.

Sox
06-13-2011, 09:40 PM

Apparently according to the article there are medical personnel with epi pens standing by.