PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6-11 SOX 3 OAK 2, RISP hitting makes Mendoza look like Mantle Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
06-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Nice to get a win despite terrible RISP hitting.

Good thing we got a run on a wild pitch, and another on a flubbed GIDP.

Glad Lillibridge was in left field tonight.

thomas35forever
06-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Looks like any team can take advantage of a team that lacks in fundamentals, including us.

vinny
Winning ugly, indeed.

Frater Perdurabo
Let's win tomorrow.

DirtySox
06-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Thank you for Brent Lillibridge.

soltrain21
06-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Start Lillibridge everyday. Bench Juan.

BigKlu59
06-11-2011, 10:15 PM
:D: Sox Win !!!!! Lillibeast on his way to winning a Golden Glove.. Tums moment again in the 9th, but they get it done... '67 Sox style...

BK59

Gavin
06-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Win tomorrow and keep on winning. This home game **** is paying off.

FielderJones
06-11-2011, 10:16 PM
The day the electronic strike zone comes into MLB I will be a happy camper.

That said, nice win on a day that the bad taste of last night had to be in everyone's mouth, the timely hitting wasn't there, yet they cinched it up and hunkered down to get a win.

On the days Lillibridge doesn't start, I think he's more valuable as a left field defensive replacement.

Sox
06-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Great catch by Lillibridge. Play Brent Some more. Even Hawk was saying this kid needs to get as many starts as possible.

October26
06-11-2011, 10:19 PM
As I like to say: "Lillibridge In, Sox Win! :bandance:

Wow, what a catch - thanks, Brent!

And thanks Johnny Danks for another well-pitched game. :D: Sox Win!!

BainesHOF
06-11-2011, 10:22 PM

Release Juan.

DirtySox
06-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Release Juan.

Retain him as a team cheerleader. Peavy can join him.

PalehosePlanet
06-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Nice to see Jesse pitch over some terrible ball/strike calls. I also love the fact that he has a great move to 1B and actually knows how to keep runners close. I can't remember the last RP we had that could keep the running game in check.

Great job by Johnny tonight. Starting the long climb back to .500.

Gavin
06-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Retain him as a team cheerleader. Peavy can join him.

K, what else? I think we need more of those t-shirt cannons, personally.

soxfan1965
06-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Yes Lillibridge needs to start more often (maybe every game) in every outfield position along with Vizquel in almost every infield position to give Pierre, Dunn and Rios (and others) more regular days off. They both give the team a needed spark especially with their gloves. The good thing about the blown save last night is that it is forcing Ozzie to be creative with his closers instead of the same one always (al la "Rex is my quaterback, next question").

CHISOXFAN13
06-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Nice to see Lillibridge make up for that horrendous base running blunder earlier.

Ugly as hell, but it beats last night.

OmahaSoxFan
06-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Also nice to see Johnny Danks get his second win (which was well deserved). Looks like he is starting to get back to his "old ways." This is another good sign. Lock up the series win tomorrow boys!

Lip Man 1
06-11-2011, 10:45 PM
The bad: Another game with terrible clutch hitting and a stupid baserunning blunder.

The good: Got the win and Lillibridge...I don't know what in the hell has gotten into him but the Sox need to ride it for as long as he can take it. He needs to be playing, every ****ing day, somewhere on that field.

Now for the 6th time this season, the Sox will attempt to get back to within two games under the .500 mark...6th time a charm??????

Lip

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-11-2011, 10:49 PM
On the Metra back home after sitting right behind Lillibridge for this one (Sec. 161). Needless to say, it was a great place to sit, especially when he singlehandedly saved the game for us tonight.

Will have my observations when I get to a real computer.

PalehosePlanet
06-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Someone asked in the game thread where we ranked as far as hitting w/RISP.

The results are surprising: The Sox .259 avg. ranks 8th best in MLB; while their .233 w/2 outs RISP ranks 11th.

I guess there are 22 other fanbases more frustrated than us.

voodoochile
06-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Well it wasn't the prettiest of wins but they did win and there's nothing ugly about that and no one cares about style points in baseball.

Johnny Danks looking solid for the second straight start.

3 games under, 4.5 back...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

Nelfox02
06-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Danks was solid tonight.....almost like no one wanted to win this game....at least in the end it was us. Losing tonight would have made yesterday even more painful......

on the ball that Lillibeast caught---as the the camera tracked it into the outfield I turned to the wife and said "sox are losing".......what a catch.....

4.5 back of Det/Cle. Alive in the race. Can we get a big W tomorrow, secure a solid 6-4 mark on this homestand AND end the "3 game under .500 curse" Would be a nice way to go into the off day on the way to Minny....

FielderJones
06-11-2011, 11:15 PM

The results are surprising: The Sox .259 avg. ranks 8th best in MLB; while their .233 w/2 outs RISP ranks 11th.

Everyone has forgotten the good hitting against the Dodgers, the beatdown on the Red Sox, because it's more than a week ago. There are going to be hot and cold streaks hitting with RISP -- as other teams well know.

guillensdisciple
06-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Need to win tomorrow.

FielderJones
06-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Need to win tomorrow.

Win tomorrow, .600 home stand, everyone's happy.

soxfanreggie
06-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Thank you for Brent Lillibridge.

That's something I say quite often when he's in there for his defense. He has had some great highlight reel plays for us this year.

Also, great to see Danks throw another good game. Keep it up John!

slavko
06-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Dunn and Rios are coming out of it. Adam actually looks comfortable up there, not biting on bad pitches, Rios is making nice contact. Crain pitched nicely over some brutal calls. Nice comeback from disaster.

Last night, Thornton got 2 flyball outs on 2 pitches. Everybody knows he's going to throw a 1st pitch fastball centered at the belt and is looking for it. They just couldn't do anything with them. Betcha he's never going back to closer. Crain threw a lot of high fastballs tonight, but they had better movement and location than Matt's.

Some catch. That ball was 2 feet over the wall. The kid has hops.

OmahaSoxFan
06-11-2011, 11:55 PM
Some catch. That ball was 2 feet over the wall. The kid has hops.

Made #2 on SportsCenter top plays... not bad Lillibridge! :wink:

thomas35forever
06-12-2011, 12:02 AM
Made #2 on SportsCenter top plays... not bad Lillibridge! :wink:
He has to be one of the leaders in Baseball Tonight's web gems this year.

GlassSox
06-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Another cool, damp night at the ball park, where is summer?

A nice outing by Danks and what more can you say about Lillibridge. I doubt that Juan would have made that catch.

Anyone else see the sign that was someone was holding up: "Unleash the Lillibeast".

Let's get another win Sunday.

Noneck
06-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Crain did fine in +1 inning save, which has been a Sox weakness.

Crooked Number
06-12-2011, 12:16 AM
That was a pitiful display of baseball by both teams tonight. The errors, the atrocious risp hitting (as mentioned by everyone so far) the walks, the seemingly lack of wanting to win by either team. But, the Sox pulled it out.

Lillibridge's failure to advance on the wild pitch led to the double play to end that scoring threat - one of the many - which should have been 2nd and 3rd one out. That ball would have gotten through since the infield would have been positioned differently. If you dont move up on a wild pitch, you can cost the team a 2 rbi hit and change the entire complexion of the contest. Luckily, Brent made a phenomenal grab to save the game and make up for it.

The Sox will continue to hang right around .500 or a few games under it all season, unless they can figure out how to cut down on these terrible fundamental blunders. Or, if Rios and Dunn decide to join the mashing committee led by Paulie and TCQ they can just bludgeon the opposition to compensate for the ****ty mistakes. Your choice Whitesox, either one will work (most of the time).

And yes as stated earlier time for the 6th try to get to 2 under. No better opportunity than right now against this terrifically poor Oakland team.

russ99
06-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Fun game to be at despite the cold light drizzle, we had 2nd row upper deck behind the plate. :D: The "Unleash the Lillibeast sign" rocks!

A bit tense at the end, we all thought that smash by Crisp was gone, but Lillibeast saved the day. Crane looked a bit off too, but we had to go with him since Santos needed a break.

Good win, but we really gotta start producing with runners in scoring position, pronto. Especially with less than 2 outs.

rdwj
06-12-2011, 12:37 AM
With Pierre in left, we lose this game. Thankfully Lillibridge was out there. What does he have to do to get the every day job?

soxfan2504
06-12-2011, 12:46 AM
With Pierre in left, we lose this game. Thankfully Lillibridge was out there. What does he have to do to get the every day job?

Be $uddenly given Juan'$ $alary.

russ99
06-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Be $uddenly given Juan'$ $alary.

That has nothing to do with it. Juan has a role that nobody else has on the club can do. (cue snide remarks).

That said, Lillibridge has earned regular playing time. Can't hurt to have him push Juan to get going or lose significant playing time, and give one of the other OFs and Dunn a night off from time to time.

DumpJerry
06-12-2011, 01:22 AM

So, what are you saying there, Planet? That the White Sox are not the only imperfect team in MLB? From reading the various threads since Opening Day, I was under the impression that the other 29 teams play the game right and the White Sox are clueless because of their Field and General Managers........

Nellie_Fox
06-12-2011, 01:33 AM
Lillibeast on his way to winning a Golden Glove.Amateur boxers win golden gloves. Baseball players win gold gloves. :tongue:

TDog
06-12-2011, 01:47 AM

And coming into tonight's game, opponents facing Gio Gonzalez were only hitting .150 with runners in scoring position. Going 1 for 7 would work out to .143. Opponents actually had twice as many strikeouts with runners in scoring position than hits with runners in scoring position against Gonzalez coming into tonight's game. But Gonzalez wasn't the story tonight.

A's announcer Glen Kuiper said that considering the circumstances, the eighth-inning catch by Lillibridge has to be considered the defensive play of the year in major league baseball. Using that criteria, it wasn't even the defensive play of the year for Brent Lillibridge. But it was certainly in the top three.

I have been a Lillibridge fan since late last season because I saw he was developing into a very good hitter. This year, his outfield defense has surprised me. I've never been sure if he could be an everyday player, but he has won a couple of games for the Sox this year with his defense. In today's game, he scored the deciding run in the bottom of the sixth after walking, forcing a throwing error with a stolen base and coming home on a fielder's choice. He struck out in the first after being hit with a pitch and put an A's runner in scoring postion with a bad throw to the plate, although Castro would be charged with the error. But the A's wouldn't get any more hits with runners in scoring position on the night.

Gio Gonzalez walked seven in less than six innings. His previous high in walks was six. But tonight's game isn't that far from what fans see in Gonzalez and frustrates them. Even when he doesn't, he throws a lot of pitches. Tonight, as he can be, he was effectively wild. He didn't have a great curveball. The Sox were actually hitting his fastball hard into the defense in the early innings. By the fifth inning, he had lost something on his fastball, and his control was fading. Maybe he was overthrowing because he is aware he is too much aware he has never beaten the White Sox.

The key to this game was the stolen bases. The Sox scored three runs tonight. The first scored on a wild pitch after a double steal. The second scored on a solo home run. The third scored after a stolen base and bad throw put Lillibridge at third with the score tied. The Sox scored their third run in an inning where they didn't hit a ball out of the infield.

The defense was sloppy at a couple of points in the horrible conditions, although the Sox errors didn't hurt them. Still, a great play on a ball up the middle to double up Ramirez robbed the Sox of a run, and Lillibridge, of course, robbed the A's of two runs. If the heavy air made the Lillibridge catch possible, it also robbed Quentin of a home run.

A couple of other notes. The A's announcers were talking about how Walker had finally convinced Rios to change his stance, holding his hands higher. I hadn't seen any discussion of that at WSI. Against Oakland, Rios has looked like a pretty good hitter this weekend.

And I was thinking Friday night that the Sox lost to the A's on '70s night the way they lost to the Chairlie Finley A's teams in the early '70s. Tonight, on Rat Pack night, the Sox won as they might have in the 1950s, a decade during which they once scored 11 runs in an inning on just one hit, and the Rat Pack was relevant.

Foulke You
06-12-2011, 02:03 AM
-Home plate ump was terrible all night for both sides. He wasn't giving the outside OR the inside corner. It's amazing the score was only 3-2 in this one when you consider the tea cup sized strike zone.

-Scott Sizemore delivers the killing blow with 2 outs in the Top of the 9th yesterday and is up in the box in the same situation 24 hrs later only this time, the home team strikes him out to win the game. This is why baseball is such a great game. The ebb and flow of the regular season were on display the last two days.

-Lillibridge will be in the lineup tomorrow but I predict Ozzie benches his #3 hitter Carlos Quentin to get Pierre in at LF. I hope I'm wrong.

-Ramon Castro is one of the better backup catchers in the AL. Solid defense, calls a good game, and provides some timely hitting and power. You can't really ask for much more in a backup catcher.

-4.5 games back and it is only June 12th. I think all of us would have been pretty satisfied with that back when we were 11 games under .500 with 4 teams in front of us.

hawkjt
06-12-2011, 02:28 AM
Lilly made a great game-saving catch, altho he is only 4 of 23 in this homestand....his hot hitting streak seems to be cooling. Juan is only 7 of 31 in this homestand,so neither one is hitting very well right now. Lilly has been playing better defense and baserunning is also a plus.
I would not mind going to a righty-lefty platoon situation in left between Juan and Lilly,with Lilly playing some of the other slots some also. Kids a gamer.
Ramon drops the head of the bat on the ball about once every three games he plays,and surprises folks with his hitting.
Desperately need that game tomorrow....go get'em Phillip.

JB98
06-12-2011, 02:59 AM
12 runners left on base .... ugh. How hard is it to hit a damn fly ball with a man at third and one out?

Thank goodness the Oakland defense was in a charitable mood (it often is, from what I've seen of the A's this year) and thank goodness Lillibridge was in LF tonight. Danks was about due to get a break like that.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-12-2011, 03:02 AM
MGSF's overdue observations:

Where I was:
Sec. 161, Row 2, Seat 17

What I saw:

- Took the Metra there for the first time...it felt weird to actually stop at the Cell instead of passing by it like I have done on Metra countless times. The station was nice...rather contemporary. Took a nice picture of the sign on the shelter.

- My heart did backflips when I saw Lillibridge was to start in left...and I'm usually a Lillibridge hater. Got there just before the game started, so I grabbed my nacho helmet and found my seat, to watch the action unfold.

- The offense was moving along until runners got placed in scoring position, then all of a sudden they forgot how to hit. I had a feeling that we were going to pay for all the missed opportunities with RISP...it was like night and day when the Sox were batting with/without runners on. The Athletics seemed to score more of the Sox' runs than the Sox themselves did.

- For some odd reason, when Quentin and Ramirez were on first and second, respectively, in the third, I looked at Quentin's SB number (0) and had an odd feeling that it was going to change, but kept it to myself. No sooner than I decide to not say anything to my friend about it, they pull off the double steal.

- Danks was pretty solid. I couldn't get a good grasp of what the ump was calling since I couldn't see that clearly from my seat, but Danks pitched well enough to win, and thankfully he got it. It's about time he snatches victory from the jaws of defeat, instead of vice-versa.

- Castro rules, but that error could have been a backbreaker, especially since he himself gave us the lead a half-inning earlier. Thankfully, the A's were no less inept with the stick than we were today.

- Rios looks a lot better out there...nice to see him actually start getting around on some pitches. He might be coming around. Dunn wasn't great, but he got on base twice via the walk, and although that's not what he gets paid the bookoo bux for, it's better than him striking out 3 times.

- Now, to Lillibridge. He didn't have the greatest offensive night (although he did score the game-winning run), but his defense WON the game for the Sox. I had my view blocked by standing fans, so I didn't get to see the actual catch...just the leap and the roar as he caught it. He got a great standing ovation that lasted damn near until he led off the next inning. He even gave the fans sitting in our section a "fist bump" towards us. It was amazing, and I can honestly say that Lillibridge has earned some respect from me.

If you look closely on the replay, you can see me and my friend a section over where Lilli made the catch. We were right over (a shade to the right of) the Minoso wall decoration...my friend is the one in the gray sweater that stands up, and I'm the guy in black with a black hat sitting right next to him. It's not like you can tell it's us without me telling you it is, but seeing that replay and realizing "oh, wow, that's me right there" is pretty cool.

- As I said earlier, I couldn't gauge the ump's strike zone, and from your accounts, it was pretty awful. However, at the time, I thought it was Crain's doing that he was pitching bad, and I was planning on having the Sox bat in the ninth chasing at least one. Thankfully, he didn't let that happen, and Sizemore, who had sent us home angry last night, sent us home happy tonight with the game-ending whiff. :gulp:

In all, this was a frustrating game, but anytime the Sox win, it's worth the price of admission. Danks and pretty much everyone else on the team owes Lillibridge a steak dinner.

:winner:

ZombieRob
06-12-2011, 03:40 AM
I have been saying that all along. Finally someone agrees. Brent has earned the PT

PeteWard
06-12-2011, 05:02 AM
-Scott Sizemore delivers the killing blow with 2 outs in the Top of the 9th yesterday and is up in the box in the same situation 24 hrs later only this time, the home team strikes him out to win the game. This is why baseball is such a great game. The ebb and flow of the regular season were on display the last two days.

Hold the ebb and give me lots more flow, please. :wink:

Friday's game was a killer.

LITTLE NELL
06-12-2011, 08:43 AM
It would be nice to win today and get to 2 games under. ( Friday night was a killer as we would be going for .500 today)
I hope they surprise me today because every time we make a move towards .500 they drop a game they should have won.
We are only 4.5 out but 7 out in the loss column so its time for a long hot streak, this team can get to first place by the all-star break.

cards press box
06-12-2011, 11:46 AM
The Sox gave away the game Friday night but the A's gave away the game last night.

All in all,

:winner

Let's go for 3 out of 4 today!

BigKlu59
06-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Amateur boxers win golden gloves. Baseball players win gold gloves. :tongue:

Thanks Professor... Didnt know how to phrase that. Gold Glove didnt sound right. Chalk it up to another Jake Lamotta moment in my mind..

BK59

BigKlu59
06-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Hold the ebb and give me lots more flow, please. :wink:

Friday's game was a killer.

Pete, we're long overdue for a laugher...I'd like to go into the 9th up by 14 runs for a change..:D:

BK59

PeteWard
06-12-2011, 01:52 PM
It would be nice to win today and get to 2 games under. ( Friday night was a killer as we would be going for .500 today)
I hope they surprise me today because every time we make a move towards .500 they drop a game they should have won.
We are only 4.5 out but 7 out in the loss column so its time for a long hot streak, this team can get to first place by the all-star break.

I'll be happy to be 2 out at the break.

JermaineDye05
06-12-2011, 01:59 PM

Here are some of the problems:

The Sox are 29th in the league in stolen base percentage with a 51%. That's because they lead the league in caught stealing with 29.

Further exacerbating the situation is the fact that the team is 5th in the league in double plays with 56.

On the defensive/pitching end, they're allowing a lot of extra bases by being dead last in caught stealing percentage at 20%. They've allowed 55 stolen bases which is 5th in the league.

BigKlu59
06-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Here are some of the problems:

The Sox are 29th in the league in stolen base percentage with a 51%. That's because they lead the league in caught stealing with 29.

Further exacerbating the situation is the fact that the team is 5th in the league in double plays with 56.

Ah, the dreaded GIDP... I dont get the SB problem.. TCM, JP and Lillibeast could and should be tearing up the basepaths...

Frustrating, but I'd like to see them improve the RISP conversion. Dont have to have a 100% clip, just somewhere 60-70% of the time..

BK59

voodoochile
06-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Ah, the dreaded GIDP... I dont get the SB problem.. TCM, JP and Lillibeast could and should be tearing up the basepaths...

Frustrating, but I'd like to see them improve the RISP conversion. Dont have to have a 100% clip, just somewhere 60-70% of the time..

BK59

What team has ever had a .600+ BA with RISP?

Sox
06-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Another cool, damp night at the ball park, where is summer?

A nice outing by Danks and what more can you say about Lillibridge. I doubt that Juan would have made that catch.

Anyone else see the sign that was someone was holding up: "Unleash the Lillibeast".

Let's get another win Sunday.

:thumbsup::gosox:

LongLiveFisk
06-12-2011, 04:23 PM
PK rules. :worship:

Sunnydre
06-12-2011, 04:58 PM
no game thread for today?

voodoochile
06-12-2011, 05:11 PM

Um... games over... there's now a post game thread...

Oh and the Sox won...

spawn
06-12-2011, 05:23 PM
The game threads are always in the PTC Game Day forums.

BigKlu59
06-12-2011, 05:29 PM
What team has ever had a .600+ BA with RISP?

Probably the '27 Yankmees... It just be nice to see if they can get close to atleast knocking somebody in 6 out of 10 times..At this rate I'll take a .400 clip... I just got real soured watching bags jammed with less than 2 out(nobody out in some cases) and coming up bupkus.. Somebody needs to replace the clutch.. It is slipping...

BK59