PDA

View Full Version : Some advice

Daver
07-09-2002, 12:35 PM
From Baseball America.

CHICAGO WHITE SOX
By The Trade Deadline: Catching the Twins probably wonít happen and Sandy Alomar Jr., Royce Clayton, Ray Durham and Kenny Lofton are headed toward free agency, so move them now. If you wonít pay Keith Foulke, package him and Durham to Los Angeles for minor league IF Joey Thurston, C Koyie Hill and LHP Shane Nance.

In The Offseason: Chicago should let its free agents go to get prospects Joe Borchard, Joe Crede and either Tim Hummel or Willie Harris in the lineup. If Carlos Lee canít maintain his recent resurgence, trade him to the Angels or Giants for a veteran pitcher and let Aaron Rowand play. Illinois native Dan Wilson, a free agent, could replace Alomar.

delben91
07-09-2002, 12:54 PM
I don't know anything about the prospects mentioned from other organizations, but I like the theory behind the moves.

duke of dorwood
07-09-2002, 12:58 PM
Moving all those guys would not be a surprise. Getting value depends on how fast they can move these guys. Waiting right to the end, after teams have filled spots always reduces trade value.

duke of dorwood
07-09-2002, 12:59 PM
And I am not head over heels for Willie Harris yet.

kermittheefrog
07-09-2002, 01:10 PM
Personally I think if we dumped all our vets who'll be free agents after the season and replaced them with Borchard, Crede and Harris we'd actually improve our chances to win the central but thats just me.

CerberusWG
07-09-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Personally I think if we dumped all our vets who'll be free agents after the season and replaced them with Borchard, Crede and Harris we'd actually improve our chances to win the central but thats just me.

I second that, but why would LA want Durham when they have Thurston coming up next year for Grudzilanek anyways.

hold2dibber
07-09-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by daver
From Baseball America.

CHICAGO WHITE SOX
By The Trade Deadline: Catching the Twins probably wonít happen and Sandy Alomar Jr., Royce Clayton, Ray Durham and Kenny Lofton are headed toward free agency, so move them now. If you wonít pay Keith Foulke, package him and Durham to Los Angeles for minor league IF Joey Thurston, C Koyie Hill and LHP Shane Nance.

In The Offseason: Chicago should let its free agents go to get prospects Joe Borchard, Joe Crede and either Tim Hummel or Willie Harris in the lineup. If Carlos Lee canít maintain his recent resurgence, trade him to the Angels or Giants for a veteran pitcher and let Aaron Rowand play. Illinois native Dan Wilson, a free agent, could replace Alomar.

I have a couple problems with this. First, I don't know that Alomar, Clayton or Lofton have any real trade value. It seems possible to me that the Sox would be better off hanging on to those guys and obtaining draft picks as compensation when they leave as free agents. As for Durham, as much as he drives me crazy sometimes, I'm afraid that we may be better off keeping him and trying to re-sign him (assuming, of course, that his price is somewhat reasonable, i.e., on par with what he's making now). I'm not convinced that Willie Harris or Tim Hummel can adequately replace Ray and fear that one of those guys would end up taking Clayton's role as the "automatic out/rally killer" at the end of the lineup next year. On the other hand, I would test the waters and if you could get a reliable starting pitcher or a top shelf prospect for Durham (which I sincerely doubt), I would deal him.

As to the Carlos Lee deal, I wouldn't mind dealing him for a veteran starter, but I wonder what he'd actually bring in return. You're certainly not going to get a number 1 or 2 starter for him. But I'd probably deal him if you could get a solid 3 or 4 (the kind of guy I thought Ritchie would be). But I'd rather give Liefer a shot in left with Borchard in center than have Rowand starting every day.

soxtalker
07-09-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

I have a couple problems with this. First, I don't know that Alomar, Clayton or Lofton have any real trade value. It seems possible to me that the Sox would be better off hanging on to those guys and obtaining draft picks as compensation when they leave as free agents. As for Durham, as much as he drives me crazy sometimes, I'm afraid that we may be better off keeping him and trying to re-sign him (assuming, of course, that his price is somewhat reasonable, i.e., on par with what he's making now).

What exactly are the rules? It seems to me that we don't get draft picks as compensation unless we offer the free agents a contract or arbitration (not sure which).

hold2dibber
07-09-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker

What exactly are the rules? It seems to me that we don't get draft picks as compensation unless we offer the free agents a contract or arbitration (not sure which).

Egads! If we have to offer arbitration in order to get comp picks, then I would definitely trade Clayton and Alomar for just about anything (I'd never offer them arbitration because the thought of having them back on the team next year and taking up payroll is horrifying). But I'd still consider keeping Lofton; if he doesn't heat up he wouldn't command much in arbitration anyway. And if he rejected it, we'd get a pick.

soxtalker
07-09-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

Egads! If we have to offer arbitration in order to get comp picks, then I would definitely trade Clayton and Alomar for just about anything (I'd never offer them arbitration because the thought of having them back on the team next year and taking up payroll is horrifying). But I'd still consider keeping Lofton; if he doesn't heat up he wouldn't command much in arbitration anyway. And if he rejected it, we'd get a pick.

Exactly my concerns.

Now, the possibility of a strike adds to the complexity / motivation of such trades. First, it increases the risk for other teams to trade us their prospect. Second, we want to make sure that we don't move a prospect onto the 40-man roster, so he can't play during a strike.