PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie: "I am praying for good defense."

Frater Perdurabo
06-11-2011, 04:17 PM
According to Fred Mitchell (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-0612-around-town--20110611,0,7410074.column), Ozzie said he is praying for good defense because it helps the pitching. Prayer is fine, but practice might be more effective.

The Sox got off to a great start in 2005 thanks to great pitching, but crisp fielding made the starters and relievers more effective. The 2005 offense started slow, just like it always does under Walker, but pitching and defense carried the Sox to the best record after April and May 2005.

Seemingly every year since then (other than 2006), the offense has sputtered at the start, but the fielding also has been suspect. This April's bullpen meltdown started with poor fielding.

More fielding practice in spring training would help the Sox overcome their inconsistent early-season hitting.

Players are not going to conduct fielding drills on their own. Ozzie needs to take charge of this instead of just talking - and praying - about it.

BringHomeDaBacon
06-11-2011, 06:14 PM
According to Fred Mitchell (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct-spt-0612-around-town--20110611,0,7410074.column), Ozzie said he is praying for good defense because it helps the pitching. Prayer is fine, but practice might be more effective.

The Sox got off to a great start in 2005 thanks to great pitching, but crisp fielding made the starters and relievers more effective. The 2005 offense started slow, just like it always does under Walker, but pitching and defense carried the Sox to the best record after April and May 2005.

Seemingly every year since then (other than 2006), the offense has sputtered at the start, but the fielding also has been suspect. This April's bullpen meltdown started with poor fielding.

More fielding practice in spring training would help the Sox overcome their inconsistent early-season hitting.

Players are not going to conduct fielding drills on their own. Ozzie needs to take charge of this instead of just talking - and praying - about it.

More lip service about defense. Maybe he should have thought of that before they put Nick Swisher, Rob Mackowiak or Ken Griffey in center field. Or Juan Pierre in left field.

TDog
06-11-2011, 06:32 PM
More lip service about defense. Maybe he should have thought of that before they put Nick Swisher, Rob Mackowiak or Ken Griffey in center field. Or Juan Pierre in left field.

This team wasn't built to be great defensively, especially in the outfield. there isn't much that can be done about it now. I don't know that many fans were clamouring during the offseason to strengthen their outfield defense instead of signing a DH who would be a defensive liability.

A. Cavatica
06-11-2011, 06:46 PM
The defense is probably praying for a good manager, so they're even.

Sox
06-11-2011, 07:33 PM

So True, Good one!! :cheers:

BainesHOF
06-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Why doesn't Ozzie start by teaching Ramirez how to receive a throw at second base on a stolen base attempt? He's been doing it wrong for only four years now.

Ask Ozzie about that, Joe Cowley.

Nelfox02
06-11-2011, 08:00 PM
This team wasn't built to be great defensively, especially in the outfield. there isn't much that can be done about it now. I don't know that many fans were clamouring during the offseason to strengthen their outfield defense instead of signing a DH who would be a defensive liability.

Chicks dig the long ball

Lip Man 1
06-11-2011, 10:53 PM
But they work on that in spring training! Ozzie says so, so it must be true!!!!!

Maybe if Ozzie spent more time playing the guys who are actually going to be on the roster when the games count and less time playing minor league cannon-fodder the guys would actually figure out what they need to do in the field (and that includes things like hitting the cutoff man, executing the correct way to do run down plays etc. It's not just catching the ball.)

Lip

Lip Man 1
06-11-2011, 10:55 PM
FREE NATE SCHIERHOLZ, he's the answer to all the Sox troubles!

:D:

(Sorry I had to do it.)

Lip

hawkjt
06-12-2011, 02:33 AM
Last year Juan was the #1 defensive leftfielder in the league according to the Sabremetrics numbers...he caught everything he got to,and only had one error all year...so it was not like Ozzie would expect his glove to spring a leak or that Juan does not work hard on his defense in the spring...he has the reputation as one of the hardest working players on the team if not the league. But he has had a bad year,as Alex has...Alex had a very good year with the glove last year...not so much this year.
Carlos has been as good or bad as ever.
Gordo has been solid,with Morel pretty good,but Alexei has had a few glitches,and PK has not been quite as good...

Overall, it is probably Alex and Juan who have not done as well,but otherwise, I just do not see it as that much worse than last year. The infield is decent,I think.

BringHomeDaBacon
06-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Last year Juan was the #1 defensive leftfielder in the league according to the Sabremetrics numbers...he caught everything he got to,and only had one error all year...so it was not like Ozzie would expect his glove to spring a leak or that Juan does not work hard on his defense in the spring...he has the reputation as one of the hardest working players on the team if not the league. But he has had a bad year,as Alex has...Alex had a very good year with the glove last year...not so much this year.
Carlos has been as good or bad as ever.
Gordo has been solid,with Morel pretty good,but Alexei has had a few glitches,and PK has not been quite as good...

Overall, it is probably Alex and Juan who have not done as well,but otherwise, I just do not see it as that much worse than last year. The infield is decent,I think.

false

forrestg
06-12-2011, 10:43 AM
false
lillibridge would improve fielding in left field maybe hitting too.

Hartman
06-12-2011, 10:50 AM
At this point, Lillibridge HAS to be in the lineup somewhere every day. The kid is locked in and determined...you can see it in his body language. He's about the only "grinder" on the team right now.

Tragg
06-12-2011, 11:02 AM
You bad. LOL

TomBradley72
06-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Lillibridge in LF upgrades our defense significantly-along with Morel playing everyday at 3rd- major boost to the pitching staff.

Marqhead
06-12-2011, 11:09 AM
If we could just find a way to field Lillibridge at all nine positions, Ozzie's prayers would be answered.

hawkjt
06-12-2011, 12:44 PM
false

According to Baseball reference Juan Pierre was the #2 defensive outfielder in the AL in 2010,behind only Brett Gardener,center fielder of the Yanks, with a defensive WAR+ of 1.8.

You can look it up.

BringHomeDaBacon
06-12-2011, 01:30 PM
According to Baseball reference Juan Pierre was the #2 defensive outfielder in the AL in 2010,behind only Brett Gardener,center fielder of the Yanks, with a WAR+ of 1.8.

You can look it up.

1. WAR is not a defensive metric.

2. If you're referring to Fielding Pct, it tells you nothing about a player's arm which is Pierre's most glaring liability.

hawkjt
06-12-2011, 01:35 PM
1. WAR is not a defensive metric.

2. If you're referring to Fielding Pct, it tells you nothing about a player's arm which is Pierre's most glaring liability.

That is strictly a defensive WAR+ rating. I did not make that clear.
I agree that it could be deceiving,but by their system,he was the #1 rated defensive leftfielder in the AL last year.
I am not a huge lover of these numerical based ratings,but I cannot believe that they would be completely useless. Juan had good range factor last year,and caught everything he got to...his arm clearly was weak,and not sure how assists are factored in,but by their system,he was at least passable,I guess. He has been much worse this year,no doubt.

voodoochile
06-12-2011, 04:26 PM
To those crying that the Sox need to practice defense more, just so you know the A's actually did today. They were showing highlights of it during the game here on the Oakland broadcast... :whistle:

spawn
06-12-2011, 04:30 PM
To those crying that the Sox need to practice defense more, just so you know the A's actually did today. They were showing highlights of it during the game here on the Oakland broadcast... :whistle:
It didn't help. :tongue:

voodoochile
06-12-2011, 04:40 PM
It didn't help. :tongue:

Well the announcers also made a big deal of how unusual it was. They made it sound like it rarely happens in MLB at all.

asindc
06-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Well the announcers also made a big deal of how unusual it was. They made it sound like it rarely happens in MLB at all.

That's because it rarely happens at all.

voodoochile
06-12-2011, 07:30 PM
That's because it rarely happens at all.

Well there ya go...

TDog
06-12-2011, 08:13 PM

I thought I heard the announcers say it can only happen when teams don't take batting practice, but that might have been a conclusion I drew. Maybe Ray Fosse said the teams he was on (in the 1960s and 1970s) only did it when there was no batting practice. I was watching the game in Northern California and don't know if there was batting practice in Chicago today.

Fosse and the minor league Kuiper did make a big deal out of it, though, mentioning it at least twice, probably to emphasize the company line that things will be different now that Bob Geren is gone.

Brian26
06-12-2011, 08:32 PM
I was watching the game in Northern California and don't know if there was batting practice in Chicago today.

The Sox traditionally don't schedule BP for Sunday afternoon games.

Daver
06-12-2011, 08:33 PM
I thought I heard the announcers say it can only happen when teams don't take batting practice, but that might have been a conclusion I drew. Maybe Ray Fosse said the teams he was on (in the 1960s and 1970s) only did it when there was no batting practice. I was watching the game in Northern California and don't know if there was batting practice in Chicago today.

Fosse and the minor league Kuiper did make a big deal out of it, though, mentioning it at least twice, probably to emphasize the company line that things will be different now that Bob Geren is gone.

Teams are limited in the amount of field time they are allowed pre game to allow the grounds crew to prepare the field, I think that Bossard allows each team an hour, but don't quote me on that. Back in the day before fields were laid using laser technology to ensure they were true the rule of thumb was to use the first game of the series on the initial visit of the season to learn the field, but that has gone into disuse in the last twenty years.

BainesHOF
06-13-2011, 01:59 AM
I'd probably pray too if I put Pierre in left field.

That a boy, Ozzie, for putting Lillibridge in his place back on the bench Sunday.