PDA

View Full Version : Jake Peavy for closer?

doublem23
06-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Time to revive the idea, right? Guy's obviously not going to stay healthy as a starter, and hey, looks like we might need a new closer.

WHY THE **** NOT

Brian26
06-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Won't be necessary once Kenny acquires Kerry Wood before the deadline.

soltrain21
06-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Sure, why not? Team is already an overpaid mess with nothing at all in the pipeline.

JermaineDye05
06-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Stop.

A closer is due for a horrible game every now and then.

You can't expect Sergio Santos to be Mariano Rivera.

I'm more concerned that we were only able to muster 5 runs against a **** starter and the A's bullpen.

The offense still sucks.

It's time to cut loose Pierre, or at the very least bench him. He's not doing us any favors.

hi im skot
06-10-2011, 11:41 PM
I'd pay money to see Lillibridge get a shot.

DSpivack
06-10-2011, 11:48 PM
I'd pay money to see Lillibridge get a shot.

How about as a knuckleballer?

Noneck
06-11-2011, 12:08 AM
First you have to see where the Sox are when he comes off the DL. Who knows by then, the gear shift on the truck may already be in reverse.

ShooterMcGavin
06-11-2011, 12:55 AM
Time to revive the idea, right? Guy's obviously not going to stay healthy as a starter, and hey, looks like we might need a new closer.

WHY THE **** NOT

I'm not ready to give up on Santos as the closer at this point, and I'm also not ready to give up on Peavy as a starter at this point, but I do believe one of the starters needs to go to the bullpen upon Peavy's return.

DirtySox
06-11-2011, 12:59 AM
I'm not ready to give up on Santos as the closer at this point, and I'm also not ready to give up on Peavy as a starter at this point, but I do believe one of the starters needs to go to the bullpen upon Peavy's return.

I think it's far more likely one will be traded.

BringHomeDaBacon
06-11-2011, 01:04 AM

WHY THE **** NOT

Even if Santos returns to form, the bullpen is clearly thin. Two reliable arms from the right side is not going to cut it. Right now, the entire right handed setup role is on Crain's shoulders (even though he was brought in to share that role with Santos). Since Peavy isn't going to do the team any good on the DL, at least he can help fortify the pen. If they shift everyone down a notch it will be all the stronger. Crain as a seventh inning guy, Sergio as setup and Thornton/Sale from the left leading up to Peavy would make for a sick pen. As an added bonus, hopefully we wouldn't have to see the scrubs in high leverage situations.

ShooterMcGavin
06-11-2011, 01:13 AM
Even if Santos returns to form, the bullpen is clearly thin. Two reliable arms from the right side is not going to cut it. Right now, the entire right handed setup role is on Crain's shoulders (even though he was brought in to share that role with Santos). Since Peavy isn't going to do the team any good on the DL, at least he can help fortify the pen. If they shift everyone down a notch it will be all the stronger. Crain as a seventh inning guy, Sergio as setup and Thornton/Sale from the left leading up to Peavy would make for a sick pen. As an added bonus, hopefully we wouldn't have to see the scrubs in high leverage situations.

I'm not on the Peavy-for-closer bandwagon, but your scenario is sick. It even gives options for Guillen to use Crain or even Thornton in the 8th if Santos pitched the previous two games. Your scenario would allow Guillen to not overuse Crain and to a lesser extent Santos and Thornton.

Your scenario would also leave the possibility for Santos to close the occasional game if Peavy closed the previous two consecutive days.

JB98
06-11-2011, 01:33 AM
It's an interesting idea, but I doubt the Sox would try it.

It takes an act of Congress for Ozzie Guillen to try something outside of the box nowadays. He never used to be that way, but he is now very much a by-the-book manager.

Foulke You
06-11-2011, 02:15 AM
Peavy would be one expensive closer. I'd do it if I thought he could stay healthy but I don't see him being able to pitch on back to back days as a closer needs to do sometimes.

Falstaff
06-11-2011, 03:49 AM
YES that scenario would really solve some problems, make best use of available talents to actually win more games in the long haul.
On any given night the Sox would have 3 or 4 options to close out the game, so Jake would not necessarily have to do so back-to-back. The main thing is to use his talent without overtaxing his evidently fragile body.
Look at the success Jose Contreras (!) went on to achieve post white sox as a closer/bullpen arm. Ya , and same with Kerry Wood.

balke
06-11-2011, 01:23 PM
:threadsucks:

Santos.

white sox bill
06-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Peavy could be our answer to Kerry Wood.

Gavin
06-11-2011, 02:01 PM

Santos.

Seriously. What a stupid ****ing idea.

Only if Jake Peavy can physically not perform as a starter should this idea be entertained.

fox23
06-11-2011, 02:05 PM

Santos.

Not only that, but apparently dissenting opinions get deleted as well in this thread.

Harry Potter
06-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Not only that, but apparently dissenting opinions get deleted as well in this thread.

The delete police are busy at it today?

gosox2005
06-11-2011, 02:14 PM
I don't hate it. We've got five solid starters already and nobody else has really proven they can do the job.

My guess, however, is Peavy wouldn't go for the idea. ALthough, I have no proof to back that up. Just my thought.

Railsplitter
06-11-2011, 02:35 PM

WHY THE **** NOT
I've heard worse ideas than this one.

Gavin
06-11-2011, 02:38 PM
I don't hate it. We've got five solid starters already and nobody else has really proven they can do the job.

My guess, however, is Peavy wouldn't go for the idea. ALthough, I have no proof to back that up. Just my thought.

Five solid starters??

lol

Gavin
06-11-2011, 02:43 PM

:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

doublem23
06-11-2011, 02:52 PM

Only if Jake Peavy can physically not perform as a starter should this idea be entertained.

How many more trips to the DL does he need to make for you?

soltrain21
06-11-2011, 02:57 PM

It seems to be pretty obvious that Jake Peavy can not physically perform as a starter.

miker
06-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Peavy could be our answer to Kerry Wood.

Who was asking the question "Kerry Wood?"

guillensdisciple
06-11-2011, 03:32 PM

I'd say it is only this thread, but I have had posts deleted in the clubhouse in last nights game thread that were not overly negative, another post deleted in the parking lot about the heat and then this one.

Is there some kind of glitch on the site or is a mod doing this on purpose?

DirtySox
06-11-2011, 03:36 PM
I'd say it is only this thread, but I have had posts deleted in the clubhouse in last nights game thread that were not overly negative, another post deleted in the parking lot about the heat and then this one.

Is there some kind of glitch on the site or is a mod doing this on purpose?

Some of my posts in draft threads are also gone. They were merely informative postings, so I imagine something glitchy is going on.

guillensdisciple
06-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Some of my posts in draft threads are also gone. They were merely informative postings, so I imagine something glitchy is going on.

Ahhh okay, that happens.

slavko
06-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Who was asking the question "Kerry Wood?"

To be fair, that should be "Would Kerry?" Let me get this straight: If he always injures himself as a starter, he needs to prove he doesn't injure himself as a closer before be can say with certainty that he is injury prone. Is that accurate?

I haven't given up on Sergio as closer. He needs to work on his release point for the slider. That's all.

Bob Roarman
06-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Yeah not sure if it was deleted or what, but,again, that would be one hell of a contract for a closer.

Gavin
06-11-2011, 06:57 PM
How many more trips to the DL does he need to make for you?

If he's hurt, he's hurt. Do you think he's hurt because he's a starting pitcher throwing 6+ innings?

doublem23
06-11-2011, 07:08 PM
If he's hurt, he's hurt. Do you think he's hurt because he's a starting pitcher throwing 6+ innings?

I would think more innings and pitches means more wear and tear which means a greater risk of injury.

Didn't the Braves do the same thing with John Smoltz? Move him to the bullpen when he wasn't physically able to start every 5th day and use him as a 1-inning reliever? I don't think it's a radical idea, especially considering we have 5 starters already who have been doing just fine. The Sox need some bullpen help and it's not going to come from anywhere else but internal.

Gavin
06-11-2011, 07:12 PM
I would think more innings and pitches means more wear and tear which means a greater risk of injury.

Didn't the Braves do the same thing with John Smoltz? Move him to the bullpen when he wasn't physically able to start every 5th day and use him as a 1-inning reliever? I don't think it's a radical idea, especially considering we have 5 starters already who have been doing just fine. The Sox need some bullpen help and it's not going to come from anywhere else but internal.

I respect your opinion, but let's face it... Smoltz was as rare as you get with that kind of conversion success. It's not radical--it's just not common.

Consider..

Beurhle/Jackson/Danks are hardly solid guys. Thus, if you put Peavy in a closer role you're saying those three are better at SP than Peavy, and if they fail (let's say, 2-5) for a few weeks the question emerges about why the closer Peavy at 15+ mil is playing with his junk in the bullpen instead of pitching. No manager would risk that kind of question.

Falstaff
06-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Exactly! I don't question that Jake can rev it up and have 2 impressive games in a row. It's just that his history with the Sox has been that output is usually followed by bad performance / trip to DL. His fat contract contributes nothing when he is injured. To heck with his ego trips, just figure a way to use the fragile body awesome pitcher to help win 2-3 games a week, by pitching 1-2 innings per outing.
Doesn't need to be the "closer"; I agree Santos is ultimately the man.
It's evident that Jake is not ready for maximum workload/wear 'n tear this
year. An inconvenient truth and an opportunity.

Daver
06-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Pitchers get hurt because they don't throw enough, and relief pitchers are just as prone to injury as starters, starters are just harder to replace.

balke
06-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Beurhle/Jackson/Danks are hardly solid guys.

These dudes are quite solid.

Peavy is a starter. If the Sox want a closer - gonna have to trade for one. Not Peavy either... so you lose one of the 5 starters who have proven to stay healthy and keep Jake who comes with some doubt.

I'm thinking everything will work itself out. Jake seems close to being able to compete. I'm guessing Daver is right and the more he throws the better and healthier he'll be when he is back from this last injury. Seems like an injury you'd get from being out of routine/practice.

As mentioned before - Santos. Thornton too. We have closer options. Bullpen depth needs help - Pena needs to come back and eat up some innings.

voodoochile
06-13-2011, 01:04 PM
If you're going to move any starter to closer it should be Jackson, IMO. He struggles to pitch deep into games and he's got the stuff to be a closer, but for now they should continue with Santos.

Domeshot17
06-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Santos will be fine, every closer blows games. It happens.

Moses_Scurry
06-13-2011, 01:15 PM
I would try Sale again if Santos can't get the job done. I wouldn't make a change until Santos has a few more bad outhings though.

asindc
06-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Five solid starters??

lol

If you don't think the Sox have five solid starters, then no one in MLB has five solid starters.

BringHomeDaBacon
06-13-2011, 01:26 PM
There is more to this than just whether Santos can close or not. I think Santos will be fine in that role. Rather, the most important considerations are the following:

1. Keeping Peavy healthy so he can actually contribute. While starters are more valuable in general, a hurt starter is less valuable than a healthy reliever.

2. Adding another reliable arm to the pen and increasing its depth so Crain's and Santos' arms don't fall off by September.

longshot7
06-13-2011, 05:17 PM
The more I think about this idea, the more I like it. It strikes me as unlikely, but I like it.