PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6/10/11 Santos Blown Save Loss

ShooterMcGavin
06-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Tough loss for the Sox. They had a two-run lead with two out in the ninth inning, only to have closer Santos blow the save.

Edwin Jackson gets the no decision.

If there's any positive, it looks like Alex Rios could be coming around with the bat.

hi im skot
06-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Hmmm...game is still on on my TV...

JimmyJames
06-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Not much to say here. Santos has to finish this. Simple as that.

PeteWard
06-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Crushing loss. 2 run lead, 2 out, no one on, and an 0-2 count

Could have gained on Cle, Minn and Det. And maybe no closer now?

No more words for this one.

doublem23
06-10-2011, 11:23 PM
I cannot remember the last time these guys made me this ****ing mad

WhiteSox1989
Games like this one make me angry.

Just sayin.

Frater Perdurabo
I would like another reliever with closing experience.

Zakath
Unbelievable.

This is kind of loss that honestly put this team into a funk for most of April.

Golden chance to make up ground on both Detroit and Cleveland and absolutely blow it.

hi im skot
Mediocre team is mediocre.

soltrain21
Icky garbage.

hi im skot
Games like this one make me angry.

Just sayin.

Time to change your signature.

kittle42
Can this team just lose 5 or 6 in a row so I don't feel like I have to care anymore? Same ****, different day. They can manhandle Boston for 3 and lose 3 to, say, a team as bad as Oakland (yes, I know they haven't yet *this* series).

It will all be put on Santos (and he's a TON to blame), but early-game offensive futility with RISP is no help, either.

doublem23
06-10-2011, 11:24 PM
How many wins have we just given away in the last inning now? 5? 6? I've lost count.

CHISOXFAN13
Two simply pathetic losses at home this season to the worst offense in the American League because the bullpen melted down.

Need to win the next two to finish 6-4 on a homestansd that included the Mariners and A's.

That's ****ing terrible.

JB98
This 4-4 homestand is very uninspiring.

The Sox are not a good team. They aren't as bad as the 11-22 start. But they aren't as good as the 20-13 over the last 33 either.

They are a team that deserves to be 31-35. Simple as that.

WhiteSoxOnly
Horsedump.How many blown saves for this team now ?

Brian26
06-10-2011, 11:26 PM

Maybe a couple of nights ago when Juan Pierre let a ball fall in front of him?

Team's blown so many winnable games that I've lost count. Should be a minimum 3.0 game lead over the Jndians right now.

Tragg
This was the 2nd 9th inning lead we blew to this garbage team. The last one sent us into a 3 week funk.

PeteWard
Can this team just lose 5 or 6 in a row so I don't feel like I have to care anymore? Same ****, different day. They can manhandle Boston for 3 and lose 3 to, say, a team as bad as Oakland (yes, I know they haven't yet *this* series).

It will all be put on Santos (and he's a TON to blame), but early-game offensive futility with RISP is no help, either.

5 was enough. But even 7 would not have been the way he melted down. This is 100% on Santos.

DirtySox
06-10-2011, 11:27 PM
This 4-4 homestand is very uninspiring.

The Sox are not a good team. They aren't as bad as the 11-22 start. But they aren't as good as the 20-13 over the last 33 either.

This team will just continue to flounder around .500. Hopefully Kenny isn't buying at the deadline, because Dayan is the only bullet he has.

kittle42

Hater. Yesterday, they were destined to win the division!

DSpivack
Horsedump.How many blown saves for this team now ?

5th time this season we took a lead into the 9th inning and lost.

A. Cavatica
06-10-2011, 11:28 PM
5 was enough. But even 7 would not have been the way he melted down. This is 100% on Santos.

KW shares in the credit. He built this bullpen.

palehozenychicty
Yeah. We are what we are. :(:

BainesHOF
I pin this loss on A.J. as much as Santos. Obviously Santos had no feel for his slider. It happens. Yet A.J. continued to call for it pitch after pitch after pitch after pitch once Santos got ahead of the batters with his fastball. It's the worst inning of pitch-calling I can remember A.J. having since he's been with us.

doublem23
Maybe a couple of nights ago when Juan Pierre let a ball fall in front of him?

Team's blown so many winnable games that I've lost count. Should be a minimum 3.0 game lead over the Jndians right now.

Ha, I was there, that was more of an eyeroll for me, I basically expect 50% of the playable balls hit to LF to get down in some utterly ludicrous fashion at this point, but about 15 minutes ago, I had faith in Sergio's ability to squeeze one out from the worst offense in the AL without allowing 2+ runs to score.

JB98
This was the 2nd 9th inning lead we blew to this garbage team. The last one sent us into a 3 week funk.

Falsehood, we've blown three of them. All at home.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA201104110.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA201104130.shtml

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gid=310610104

Brian26
06-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Also nice to see Rios playing in medium-to-shallow centerfield on that Sizemore hit. This is on Santos, no doubt, but that ball landed on the warning track and probably should have been caught.

PalehosePlanet
06-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Absolutely ****ing sickening. Three times we've given away games in the 9th to this same **** team at home.

Instead of 2 under, we're 4 under....and have given this A's team life.

I think this is the most pissed I've been after a loss since we blew a 5-0 lead to the twinkies in the last week of the season in '08 at the humpdome.

kaufsox
06-10-2011, 11:30 PM
I was getting down right giddy thinking about gaining a gnaw on both the Tigers and Indians. Aaarrrgghhh!!! :angry::angry:

PeteWard
06-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Hater. Yesterday, they were destined to win the division!

The tragedy is, they were one strike (with no one on and a two-run lead) from a win that would have encouraged me to think they could -- after Cle and Det lost and Dunn and Rios looked ok at the plate

Ugh.

JB98
06-10-2011, 11:31 PM
This team will just continue to flounder around .500. Hopefully Kenny isn't buying at the deadline, because Dayan is the only bullet he has.

Sox are maxed out payroll-wise anyway. They won't be "earning the patronage" of their fans either. I see a lot of games with 10-15,000 diehards only in their future.

Sox35th
06-10-2011, 11:32 PM
WOW.....Just when you think the Sox are turning this ship around...they give you a game like this!! :angry:

Where would this team be without PK & QC ?

Call me when the Sox are .500

chisoxfanatic
06-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Kinda reminds me of the game against the Dodgers (only I know that one went to extras) in terms of gut-wrenching games.

I'm hearing the postgame fireworks going off right now, but it's not for a win. :angry:

doublem23
06-10-2011, 11:33 PM
The tragedy is, they were one strike (with no one on and a two-run lead) from a win that would have encouraged me to think they could -- after Cle and Det lost and Dunn and Rios looked ok at the plate

Ugh.

Seriously. I don't think I've been punched this hard in the gut by the Sox in years. YEARS. Looked like they were just figuring it all out, they would have been 4.5 games out of 1st place. 2 outs. 0-2 count. CHAD PENNINGTON.

I honestly cannot believe it right now.

kittle42
06-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Seriously. I don't think I've been punched this hard in the gut by the Sox in years. YEARS. Looked like they were just figuring it all out, they would have been 4.5 games out of 1st place. 2 outs. 0-2 count. CHAD PENNINGTON.

Hater.

JB98
06-10-2011, 11:35 PM

Actually, it was Willingham. He struck Pennington out to open the inning.

The real crime was walking Barton. That dude is horse****. After that happened, I knew we were done. I figured Suzuki would get the hit, but Santos hit him first.

ChiSoxGal85
06-10-2011, 11:36 PM

Ugh.
It's all my fault. With 2 outs in the top of the 9th, I sat there with my finger poised over the Enter key with my "Sox win!" post all ready to go.

Doesn't get much more disappointing than this game. Santos did not have it, and Ozzie didn't yank him early enough. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. :angry:

hi im skot
06-10-2011, 11:37 PM

The real crime was walking Barton. That dude is horse****. After that happened, I knew we were done. I figured Suzuki would get the hit, but Santos hit him first.

They're all the ****ing same - no name dudes that only show up against the Sox. Imagine if Kurt Suzuki played every game against the Sox...

JB98
06-10-2011, 11:38 PM
They're all the ****ing same - no name dudes that only show up against the Sox. Imagine if Kurt Suzuki played every game against the Sox...

Or Scott Sizemore.

He's 5-for-8 with 2 HRs and 7 RBIs in three lifetime games vs. the Sox.

Can't play dead against any other team.

SI1020
06-10-2011, 11:38 PM
It's all my fault. With 2 outs in the top of the 9th, I sat there with my finger poised over the Enter key with my "Sox win!" post all ready to go.

Doesn't get much more disappointing than this game. Santos did not have it, and Ozzie didn't yank him early enough. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. :angry: I was wondering when someone would bring that up. Being the timid type, I didn't want to be the first.

hi im skot
06-10-2011, 11:39 PM
I'm supposed to go to the game tomorrow. Maybe I can schedule a dentist appointment or hang out at the laundromat or something...

hi im skot
06-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Can we just go back to the good old days and pin this loss on Pierre?

SephClone89
06-10-2011, 11:40 PM
One (admittedly awful) loss, my friends. Step away from the ledge.

LongLiveFisk
06-10-2011, 11:41 PM
2 outs, nobody on, and an 0-2 count and you can't finish it, and then totally piss the game away?

Only this ****ing team. I swear. :thud:

Soxman219
06-10-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm sorry guys i tuned in the 9th with two outs. When the A's scored 1, I wanted to change it but I couldn't. I should have.:(:

Quentin08
06-10-2011, 11:42 PM
How many times have they blown it with 2 outs in the 9th and the entire crowd on their feet?

It seems like whoever's on the mound when the crowd stands up inevitably freaks out and can't throw it over the plate.

I'd actually be confident in this team if we had a confident closer.

JB98
06-10-2011, 11:43 PM

Thing is, I don't think myself, kittle42 and a handful of others are on the ledge. We're more shaking our heads, acknowledging this loss as confirmation of what we already suspected.

Zakath
3-4-5-6 go 9-16 tonight.

Law of averages. You're only going to get so many hits and score so many runs; having your bullpen frankly kick your offense in the nuts in a game like this is the most disturbing thing.

When the middle of your order bats over .500, you HAVE to win.

kittle42

Stop with the ****ing "dark cloud" overreaction crap. THIS IS THE SAME TEAM WE HAVE SEEN ALL SEASON!!! It's the same problems over and over and over. The "ledge" was jumped off a month ago. It's not like they won 4, 5, 6+ in a row and had a bad game. It's less-than-mediocre inconsistency.

hi im skot
06-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Thing is, I don't think myself, kittle42 and a handful of others are on the ledge. We're more shaking our heads, acknowledging this loss as confirmation of what we already suspected.

Yep. This team continues to show that it's going absolutely nowhere in 2011.

Noneck
06-10-2011, 11:44 PM

Not the loss as much as a .500 home stand so far.

JermaineDye05
06-10-2011, 11:45 PM
3-4-5-6 go 9-16 tonight.

Law of averages. You're only going to get so many hits and score so many runs; having your bullpen frankly kick your offense in the nuts in a game like this is the most disturbing thing.

When the middle of your order bats over .500, you HAVE to win.

Problem is, this offense is anti-clutch.

We had a golden opportunity to blow the game wide open in the first, but Beckham couldn't seem to lay off of fastballs at his eyes.

kittle42
06-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Not the loss as much as a .500 home stand so far.

Correct - if anyone overreacts, it's people getting giddy when they win a game.

DirtySox
06-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Correct - if anyone overreacts, it's people getting giddy when they win a game.

Bingo.

CHISOXFAN13
06-10-2011, 11:46 PM

Just like the other two blown games to Oakland at home in April?

But hey, a 4-4 homestand against one decent team and two ****ty teams sure has me excited!

PeteWard
06-10-2011, 11:47 PM
What I don't get it is that Santos looked ok for the first two batters and when he got two strikes on the 3rd guy.

Then his slider just slips away from him for the rest of the game? How does this happen to a major leaguer? :?:

Quentin08
06-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Maybe we should just tip our caps to the hot A's lineup..

slavko
06-10-2011, 11:48 PM
I pin this loss on A.J. as much as Santos. Obviously Santos had no feel for his slider. It happens. Yet A.J. continued to call for it pitch after pitch after pitch after pitch once Santos got ahead of the batters with his fastball. It's the worst inning of pitch-calling I can remember A.J. having since he's been with us.

He sort of lost control of the fastball too. Got a break on one of the strikes to Willingham which was up and in. The change, which can be very good, was unused. Hey, he's been at this for what, 2 years? He'll get it and he's still the closer. Trying to close with only a centered fastball? Been there, done that. Coop, get with Sergio on that release point.

Also nice to see Rios playing in medium-to-shallow centerfield on that Sizemore hit. This is on Santos, no doubt, but that ball landed on the warning track and probably should have been caught.

If the lead run is on second base, that where he should have been. It would have been a teeth rattler if it had been caught. Lillibridge? Maybe. Nah.

The ledge is only for those who still give a hoot in a rain barrel.

pczarapa
06-10-2011, 11:49 PM

Farmer and Jackson were talking about that, man I hope not.

JermaineDye05
06-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Juan Pierre's third 0-5 in the last 10 games.

It's okay to give who's supposed to be one of our biggest run producers back-to-back days off, but God forbid we give our premiere caught stealing baserunner a day off and play the hot Lillibridge in LF.

Crooked Number
06-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Saw a movie and went out for a late dinner, didnt see a pitch. In the end, sounds like i saved myself from a 3 hour nightmare. I was at the extra inning game thursday, Santos had nothing that night too. This is his second poor outing in a row. I wouldnt say we are back to the beginning of the year when the sox were clueless about the closer, I think Sergio is still the guy. However, now there is no margin for error so of course every blown game is going to be really really bad.

Still can take the next two. I was having dreams of the Sox doing good things up in Minnesota. My brain is saying temper those expectations. My heart of course is saying we are going to sweep them.

Super 8 is fantastic by the way.

doublem23

Sorry, my brain is broken from the rage. All I can see right now are interchangeable terrible A's hitters drawing walks and hitting doubles to the wall.

:nuts:

chisoxfanatic
Maybe we should just tip our caps to the hot A's lineup..
Don't know if you heard on Chicago Tribune Live a few days ago, but they had KW on, and he was doing some cap tipping. :mad:

Noneck
06-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Then his slider just slips away from him for the rest of the game? How does this happen to a major leaguer? :?:

You have to remember that this is a guy who has a bit more than 100 innings of pitching experience in the past 10 years. Stuff like this is no shock to me.

Nelfox02
06-10-2011, 11:56 PM
finally thought they had licked the "3 games under .500 so we must lose this one" curse.........bam solid W here would have put an exclamation point on my feel good Friday....so much for that.....so much for the 7-3 homestand I was hoping for as well.

Sergio looked fine the first two....then air mailed that slider and that was it......never recovered......he threw a couple to Suzuki that were begging to be crushed, got a break that he could not hanlde them....and then hits him? everyone knew what was coming in the next at bat

they win the next two they have a solid 6-4 stand, and might pick up a game on either Cle or Det......but at some point this team needs some kind of 5-6 game streak......but whether they just get on a roll like that it seems, either the offense is garbage, defensive miscues, bull pen meltdown, starting pitching throws 95 pitches thru 2 innings.......something just always pops up

there were some nice things in this game (Jackon was okay, PK another bomb, Dunn an RBI, Thornton looked good) what a shame....

Foulke You
06-11-2011, 12:00 AM
I know I shouldn't let baseball dictate my mood but this game really pissed me off. Easily the worst loss of the season in a year that has been full of them. The game has been over a while now and I'm still shaking my head. How did this one slip away?! How?!! All with 2 outs and nobody on against the light hitting A's. Scott Sizemore delivers the killing blow...so fitting. Tigers trash. Think of him as Ryan Raburn Lite.

I'm not letting the Sox offense off the hook here either. Middle of the order did their jobs tonight but we had plenty of chances to bury the A's in this game and not even have to use our closer. Better win tomorrow.:angry::angry::angry:

tsoxman
06-11-2011, 12:01 AM
You have to remember that this is a guy who has a bit more than 100 innings of pitching experience in the past 10 years. Stuff like this is no shock to me.
I recall that Santos had trouble several times in the second half of last year closing out innings. He would get the first two outs, but had trouble getting the last out.

This may be the worst bullpen I have ever seen from a supposed contender.

No way we even win 80 games.

Foulke You
06-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Saw a movie and went out for a late dinner, didnt see a pitch. In the end, sounds like i saved myself from a 3 hour nightmare. I was at the extra inning game thursday, Santos had nothing that night too. This is his second poor outing in a row. I wouldnt say we are back to the beginning of the year when the sox were clueless about the closer, I think Sergio is still the guy. However, now there is no margin for error so of course every blown game is going to be really really bad.

Still can take the next two. I was having dreams of the Sox doing good things up in Minnesota. My brain is saying temper those expectations. My heart of course is saying we are going to sweep them.

Super 8 is fantastic by the way.
I'm jealous of you. The movies spared you much agony.

SoxSpeed22
06-11-2011, 12:07 AM

amsteel
06-11-2011, 12:08 AM
Maybe it was being there is person, but this was the most depressing loss of the year. Even with Dunn and Rios hitting, they still find a way to lose to a Oakland team on a terrible slide.

Santos has seemed off since that Dodgers blown save. As soon as he didn't get what looked to be a couple close calls after giving up the double, his body language changed and it looked like he wanted nothing more than to get out of there. I anticipate another closer crisis in the near future.

They NEED to win 3 of 4 against the A's before they go to MN and inevitably get crushed, lose a winnable game, and back into a win somehow...And then probably sweep in AZ.

It seemed like a pretty tame crowd, and games this this don't exactly send the fans home with a reason to return.

At the beginning of May I said I would take .500 on July 1, I stand by that today.

LongLiveFisk
06-11-2011, 12:10 AM
WSI after Sox win: I still see us winning this division.
WS after Sox loss: This team is going nowhere.

Statements made within 24 hours of each other.

A little bipolar?

Oh wait...

:welcome:

Silly me. :tongue:

soxfan1965
06-11-2011, 12:11 AM
I recall that Santos had trouble several times in the second half of last year closing out innings. He would get the first two outs, but had trouble getting the last out.

Hopefully Ozzie will have someone warming up in the bullpen when Santos closes, give the quick hook at the first sign of a walk.

Foulke You
06-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Maybe it was being there is person, but this was the most depressing loss of the year.
It was every bit depressing at the sports bar I was at. The soundtrack of giggling lovable loser fans added to my anger and misery.

JB98
06-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Hopefully Ozzie will have someone warming up in the bullpen when Santos closes, give the quick hook at the first sign of a walk.

If your confidence is that fragile in your closer, then you need a new closer.

doublem23
06-11-2011, 12:13 AM

A little bipolar?

Oh wait...

There's 14,000 of us, we all don't have the exact same opinion at the same time. Yesterday, there were people who thought the Sox still weren't going anywhere. Today, there are probably still people who think they'll win the division.

LongLiveFisk
06-11-2011, 12:13 AM
It was every bit depressing at the sports bar I was at. The soundtrack of giggling lovable loser fans added to my anger and misery.

Misery loves company. And those people are up to their eyeballs in misery.

captain54
06-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Kenny Williams needs to be taking some heat for the shaky bullpen situation coming into 11'... the bullpen/closer situation for the Sox
has absolutely taken all the life out of this season.

whatever happened to Putz? he's near league lead in saves for Arizona this year....

doublem23
06-11-2011, 12:17 AM

Yeah but you got to remember, not only was last year Sergio's 1st season in the Majors, it was also the 1st season he had ever been a pitcher full-time, so a lot of his struggles, especially later in the year, were the result of him just wearing down. The guy had never played into September before and only had something like 20 innings of work under his belt in the minors.

Tonight was just that he could not find that slider. I know he's still young and learning the craft, but if you're going to close, you just can't pump mid-90s fastballs down the heart of the plate. Someone will hit them.

RCWHITESOX
06-11-2011, 12:20 AM
I would like another reliever with closing experience.

Can you say Health Bell. This was a horrible loss. Hopefully they can rebound from this and not head in the opposite direction the last time Santos blew one similar to this one.

doublem23
06-11-2011, 12:21 AM
Kenny Williams needs to be taking some heat for the shaky bullpen situation coming into 11'... the bullpen/closer situation for the Sox

whatever happened to Putz? he's near league lead in saves for Arizona this year....

I don't know, between Thornton, Santos, Sale, and Crain the Sox came into this season with 4 guys who had been effective relievers in the Majors, these guys just are not getting the job done. Maybe the Ohman acquisition was a little desperate, but that's the price you pay for having **** in the minors.

As for Putz, **** that guy, we throw him a bone when almost everyone else had quit on him, help him salvage his career, and he repays us by bolting to Arizona.

DSpivack
06-11-2011, 12:21 AM

A little bipolar?

Oh wait...

A bi-polar fan base for a bi-polar team.

Makes sense to me.

tsoxman
06-11-2011, 12:23 AM

Exactly. Truth be told, the best way to improve your bullpen is to use guys that you develop. If you have to go out on the open market and overpay to get older, and injury prone replacement level talent, you are in trouble. Kenny has squandered a lot of resources in the past four years.

I wish he will be held accountable, but I doubt that JR will do anything.

PeteWard
06-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Maybe it was being there is person, but this was the most depressing loss of the year. Even with Dunn and Rios hitting, they still find a way to lose to a Oakland team on a terrible slide.

No, it was the worst loss in a long time, whether you saw it in person or not,esp considering what the div rivals did today. It felt like a real breakthrough win. Then.....:whiner:

LongLiveFisk
06-11-2011, 12:26 AM
There's 14,000 of us, we all don't have the exact same opinion at the same time. Yesterday, there were people who thought the Sox still weren't going anywhere. Today, there are probably still people who think they'll win the division.

Yeah, I'm sure it's not the same people posting diametrically opposed opinions in a 24-hour time frame, but it still cracks me up to see the contrast on the board sometimes.

That said, this loss really, really sucked. I hope we don't see another one like this. I was at that game in April that they blew against this same team in the 9th inning and it put them in that long-lasting, nasty funk. It's amazing how much psychology plays into sports.

And I'm still trying to figure out why the Sox even have to see Oakland at home again. Already saw them in April. MLB schedules are really weird sometimes.

Sox
06-11-2011, 12:29 AM
It's all Ozzies fault.....:facepalm:

ShooterMcGavin
06-11-2011, 12:34 AM

This may be the worst bullpen I have ever seen from a supposed contender.

No way we even win 80 games.

I agree with your comment about the bullpen; disagree that this team won't win 80 games.

Soon after this loss, I was thinking how thin our bullpen is and how we need Peavy to come back strong so we can send one starter to the bullpen to give it some depth. I was once a fan of the 6-man rotation based on schedule and personnel (specifically Buehrle and Peavy), but now feel the bullpen is the more pressing need. Crain's arm might be gassed by August and with Peavy getting a break in IP through the DL and Buehrle getting a minor break in IP through the former 6-man rotation, the 5-man rotation is needed for an extra, quality bullpen arm.

Since I don't think this team is willing to acquire another quality bullpen arm, sending one of our 6 starters to the bullpen could strengthen the bullpen.

tsoxman
06-11-2011, 12:40 AM
I agree with your comment about the bullpen; disagree that this team won't win 80 games.

Soon after this loss, I was thinking how thin our bullpen is and how we need Peavy to come back strong so we can send one starter to the bullpen to give it some depth. I was once a fan of the 6-man rotation based on schedule and personnel (specifically Buehrle and Peavy), but now feel the bullpen is the more pressing need. Crain's arm might be gassed by August and with Peavy getting a break in IP through the DL and Buehrle getting a minor break in IP through the former 6-man roatation, the 5-man rotation is needed for an extra quality bullpen arm.

Since I don't think this team will be able to acquire another quality bullpen arm, sending one of our 6 starters to the bullpen could strengthen the bullpen.
After witnessing coutless meltdowns this year, I like the idea, though it will give the Sabermetricians fits.

Regarding the bullpen, don't forget how bad our bullpen was the second half of last year. What did our GM do in the off season to make anybody think that things were going to be any different? The only decent piece that we added was Jesse Crain. Sale and Santos did nice work in limited roles, but both have very few ML innings under their belt. Thorton is getting older and last year had an arm injury. So what do we do? Let's make him a closer!!. Oh, Pena and Ohman are terrible..This was destined for failure from the start.

HaroMaster87
06-11-2011, 12:58 AM
What I don't get it is that Santos looked ok for the first two batters and when he got two strikes on the 3rd guy.

Negative...he went in there nibbling to every hitter. Looked gun shy to me after his last (bad) outing. If he doesnt have his good slider, he looks downright scared. Did we have one god damned pitcher tonight that didnt go to a full count on everyone they faced, other than Thorton??

EJ is so freaking maddening to me...i cant even watch him pitch anymore. I fast-forward the DVR until we are on offense. The pitching was just major SUCKAGE tonight...7 runs to this horrible team...barf

Tragg
06-11-2011, 01:00 AM
Juan Pierre's third 0-5 in the last 10 games.

It's okay to give who's supposed to be one of our biggest run producers back-to-back days off, but God forbid we give our premiere caught stealing baserunner a day off and play the hot Lillibridge in LF.
And he never, ever takes a seat.
But this is consistent with same eye for talent that discovered Jerry Owens and determined, off of a .301 obp spring, that DeWayne Wise was not only a starting center fielder, but a leadoff hitter.
He's simply oblivious.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-11-2011, 01:02 AM
MGSF's Post-Game Observations:

Saw it live from Sec. 120, Row 11, Seat 1 (Very nice, up-close view...which means I got a clear view of the egg Santos laid :angry:).

- For starters, it was a rough spelling day for the people doing the Jumbo-tron/scoreboards. At the beginning of the game, the left-field scoreboard had the A's pitcher spelled "Godrey" (as opposed to "Godfrey"). They also misspelled various 70s shows. However, the most egregious error was on the Jumbotron. A trivia question asked who held the Sox record for a hitting streak. One of the options was "Paul Kornerko". I literally facepalmed when I saw that....yeah, guys, it's not like this guy's played for the Sox for a DECADE or anything. :rolleyes:

- The Sox should have had at least 8-9 runs with the opportunities they had early in the game. They had the rook on the ropes, and the Sox couldn't deliver the death blow. However, an encouraging sign was that the Sox got a lot of runs scored with 2 out...take that for what you will. But if this Godfrey guy gets another chance to start, he'll get lit up for 9 ER and 11 hits in 1.1 IP against anyone else.

- Jackson seemed to be a little off, but he was still getting guys out, and managed to go 6, so that was a slight improvement. The bullpen was shaky, with Sale and Bruney getting hit, and well, I'll get to Santos.

- Rios and Dunn actually looked somewhat comfortable at the plate today. Can't really complain about them a whole lot..they did their jobs for the most part. Morel is just studly at third base, especially defensively. Beckham, on the other hand, was bad. He could have forced a guy out at second, but tried to throw to first and that failed. He also struck out in a bases-loaded, two out situation early in the game that could have really turned the momentum to the Sox. Paulie did well, though, as usual.

- Now, to Santos...where to begin. He looked fine getting the first two guys out, then had Willingham 0-2....looked to be another Serge Protector showing, right? Hahahaha. He completely melted down after that....walked him after 0-2, then hit after hit after walk after hit batter after hit. That was as bad as I've ever seen Santos, and if my math is right, this is the second straight blown game for Santos. I'm not liking this, not one bit...this team has had enough heartbreaking losses to last two seasons, and we're not even midway through June yet. This is just awful, embarrassing, disheartening, and most of all, UNACCEPTABLE. Who wants to go somewhere where you can't rely on consistent quality throughout the duration of the show/game/ride? I know I wouldn't go on a roller coaster that is exciting for the vast majority of the ride, and then just before you pull back into the station, a large lead pipe swings down and cracks you in the skull. That's how it felt today.

- Cliff Pennington is quickly approaching Nick Punto-level hatred in my book. This guy is the most average player in MLB, yet he turns into a force even gods cower to against the White Sox. I don't get why the averagest of players just KILL the Sox. Anybody who knows, please write in.

In short, **** this game, I'm going to play some Castlevania (thanks, video game music thread).

Thanks for reading.

Lip Man 1
06-11-2011, 01:03 AM
To answer the questions posed earlier in the thread:

This is the 7th game this season the Sox lost when taking a lead into the 7th inning or later.

THIS IS THE 5TH GAME THIS SEASON THE SOX LOST WHEN TAKING A LEAD INTO THE 9th INNING.

That's a pretty amazing stat.

April 8 vs. Tampa (Thornton gives up 5 unearned runs in 9th)
April 11 vs. Oakland (Thornton gives up tying run in 9th)
April 13 vs. Oakland (Sale allows three straight hits to open 9th)
May 20 vs. Dodgers (Santos allows 2 out home run in 9th)
June 10 vs. Oakland (Santos allows 3 runs after two out, no one on in 9th)

ALL FIVE BLOWN 9th INNING GAMES HAVE COME AT HOME. (Great for encouraging fans to attend games!)

What's even worse is that in four of the five games the Sox had a lead bigger than one run.

A real nut cutter tonight.

Lip

kittle42
06-11-2011, 01:11 AM
Can you say Heath Bell.

We have absolutely nothing to contend with in trades with other teams who need Heath Bell.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-11-2011, 01:20 AM
I don't know, between Thornton, Santos, Sale, and Crain the Sox came into this season with 4 guys who had been effective relievers in the Majors, these guys just are not getting the job done. Maybe the Ohman acquisition was a little desperate, but that's the price you pay for having **** in the minors.

As for Putz, **** that guy, we throw him a bone when almost everyone else had quit on him, help him salvage his career, and he repays us by bolting to Arizona.

You can't blame Putz. Arizona guaranteed him a closer job, and the Sox didn't. What would you do in that situation? He got more money, and the job he wanted. Can't fault that.

Noneck
06-11-2011, 01:21 AM
You can't blame Putz. Arizona guaranteed him a closer job, and the Sox didn't. What would you do in that situation? He got more money, and the job he wanted. Can't fault that.

And play where he lives.

Lip Man 1
06-11-2011, 01:37 AM
Here's the weird stat of the night.

Friday was the 5th time this season the Sox started the night at three under .500. A win and they close to within two under .500.

They've lost all five times to drop back to four under. Like JB said in a post, "it's all so predictable..."

Lip

Tragg
06-11-2011, 01:50 AM

No don't blame Putz. Blame (if one thinks it was a bad move) the Sox front office: Putz I believe signed for 2/10 to close; Crain signed for 3/13 for set-up.

SOXYoose
06-11-2011, 01:50 AM
The bats were good enough to win, Santos blew it. I don't understand the "I hope we just lose until we're out of the race" talk.

StillMissOzzie
06-11-2011, 01:53 AM
That was painful to watch. Besides watching the victory slipping through their fingers, there was an opportunity to gain ground on the teams ahead of them.

It doesn't seem like saddling both a blown save and a loss onto Santos is enough punishment here.

SMO
:angry::mad:

Bruizer
06-11-2011, 02:43 AM
To answer the questions posed earlier in the thread:

This is the 7th game this season the Sox lost when taking a lead into the 7th inning or later.

THIS IS THE 5TH GAME THIS SEASON THE SOX LOST WHEN TAKING A LEAD INTO THE 9th INNING.

That's a pretty amazing stat.

April 8 vs. Tampa (Thornton gives up 5 unearned runs in 9th)
April 11 vs. Oakland (Thornton gives up tying run in 9th)
April 13 vs. Oakland (Sale allows three straight hits to open 9th)
May 20 vs. Dodgers (Santos allows 2 out home run in 9th)
June 10 vs. Oakland (Santos allows 3 runs after two out, no one on in 9th)

ALL FIVE BLOWN 9th INNING GAMES HAVE COME AT HOME. (Great for encouraging fans to attend games!)

What's even worse is that in four of the five games the Sox had a lead bigger than one run.

A real nut cutter tonight.

Lip

We were at the last three games blown in the 9th inning. I think we're going to start leaving in the 8th inning from now on...

TDog
06-11-2011, 03:16 AM

You were probably equally mad on April 8 when the 4-2 White Sox took a 7-4 lead into the ninth against the Rays, who in the eighth had set a record for most consecutive innings without a lead to start a season. The Rays losing streak ended with a 9-7 win. Ugly streaks sometimes end with something freakish. The 1970 White Sox didn't win many games, but they broke a six-game losing streak in August with an 11-run ninth inning against the Red Sox. Of course, the Sox with two outs and none on and down by three scored four runs against Soria in April. Stuff happens. I haven't checked the postgame thread for April 13, but you were probably angry then, too, with the White Sox losing in extra innings to the A's despite taking a three-run lead into the ninth.

And I haven't read further than your post into this game thread, which, no doubt, expresses anger and frustration with the number of loses the White Sox have this year with the number of losses with the team leading after eight or even seven. And this was frustrating. Not only was there two out and no one on. There were two strikes and no balls on the hitter. Ray Fosse on the A's telecast was complaining about the umpire's strike zone just before everything went bad.

But I don't see this game as being part of a trend. If you designate a closer and send him out there to finish close games, you are going to lose a few. Mariano Rivera once blew a save that cost the Yankees a World Series championship. And this has not been a good year for closers. Unfortunately, Santos tonight seemed to have the game won before it suddenly left him. Suddenly, he couldn't throw strikes. Not the strikes he needed to throw, anyway.

Up to that point it was an impressive game by the Sox. They should have scored more runs -- although they scored enough that they should have won. They hit very well for the most part. Konerko continues to swing well and welcomed the newest A's pitcher to the majors. They took extra bases against the weak-throwing A's outfielders, a crucial factor in knocking out the rookie who apparently didn't get the memo about the Sox not being able to hit no-name pitchers they have never faced.

The A's announcers were saying the White Sox had been going over videos of Godfrey from Sacramento. Certainly, most of the hitters were ready for him. His fast ball was too straight, perhaps straighter than the Sox were expecting. It looked like Godfrey was overthrowing. The Sox were hitting his fastball hard and mostly taking his breaking pitches. Even when the Sox got into the bullpen they were able to score the runners Godfrey left on base. Dunn got a big hit, despite the exaggerated shift. With Jackson limiting the A's to two runs over six innings, it should have been enough to win.

PeteWard
06-11-2011, 03:45 AM
And play where he lives.

Phoenix? You can have it.

PeteWard
06-11-2011, 03:47 AM
The bats were good enough to win, Santos blew it. I don't understand the "I hope we just lose until we're out of the race" talk.

No kidding. They should just stop following the Sox then.

Soxfest
06-11-2011, 07:25 AM
bad bad lose:angry:

white sox bill
06-11-2011, 08:08 AM
After the base hit by Suzuki, I cashed it in for the night and disgustingly went to bed. I knew this team could never come back from 2 runs in the ninth. So much for momentum.

We need to bounce back tonight and tomorrow and we all will feel better. Santos was awful last PM. Lets get past this and get on with it

white sox bill
06-11-2011, 08:34 AM
After the base hit by Suzuki, I cashed it in for the night and disgustingly went to bed. I knew this team could never come back from 2 runs in the ninth. So much for momentum.

We need to bounce back tonight and tomorrow and we all will feel better. Santos was awful last PM. Lets get past this and get on with it
Oops I meant Sizemore!!

cws05champ
06-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Not 100% on Santos....he shares a good amount of blame no doubt. But he has shown cracks in recent outings.... My feeling even before this blown save was that Thornton should have come back out to start the 9th. He threw 2 pitches in the 8th, and there was a left handed hitter up first in the 9th. Yes, I know Santos took care of the first two hitters in the inning, but it was just my feeling that thornton should have been given the opportunity to close it with Santos ready in case he got into trouble.

Awful , awful loss....

Lip Man 1
06-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Normally I take the games where the Sox urinate away certain, absolute wins very hard. To the point where I don't sleep well at all.

It's a bad sign all the way around when despite the garbage that took place Friday night I slept fine. Maybe I'm getting used to it?

Lip

kittle42
06-11-2011, 12:28 PM
No kidding. They should just stop following the Sox then.

If - IF - they are going to continue playing the way they have through the first part of the season, I'd rather see them just fall off, dump players, fire management, etc. A holding pattern of mediocrity and "what ifs" is hard to watch.

Naturally, I would greatly prefer that they win.

Jollyroger2
06-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Last night was another excellent example of why it's silly to keep trying to put an optimistic face on the team. Choking away a lead at home to a spiraling-out-of control bad Oakland team, when there was ground to be gained in the division, shows plenty.

That the team is weak in several positions is already clear. But the many losses like last night just keep showing there are players on this team that just don't care as long as the paycheck keeps coming. It's not like the A's hit great pitches and earned their win. Last night the failure of the "closer" to even throw strikes shows these guys aren't mentally into the game. Whether it's Santos last night walking or hitting players, or Rios or Dunn continuing to flail and half-heartedly wave at pitches, this team is nowhere close to being a threat in the division or league.

I've said many times now every time this team shows a pulse, it almost like clockwork turns out a stinker or several stinkers to stay mired below .500. They're almost so "reliable" in that way, it's predictable what happened last night. If the players or their leaders ever decide they want to get their heads on straight and play ball, then we'll see.

cws05champ
06-11-2011, 01:01 PM
There are some good signs so far in June- Quentin is hitting .396, Morel .360, Rios is hitting .300- so the everyday line up is coming together piece by piece- the last few nights Dunn is showing some good signs.

Pierre is now hitting .194 for the month-with 1 SB and a .294 OBP- along with his mediocre defense- sure would like to see Viciedo called up and either Teahen or Pierre released. Pierre shows no signs of getting back on track with stealing bases (10 for 19)- if he can't do that- he's of no real value to the team.
I just don't get the whole release Pierre argument. His salary is a sunk cost, and even if he is relegated to starting 2 days a week and coming off the bench for bunting and speed on the bags, he can help this team. If he were released he would be picked up by someone within a day. Also, over his career he is a really strong 2nd half player (.312/.357OBP 2nd half vs. .284/.338OBP 1st half), even last year he raised his BA nearly 40 points in the 2nd half.

I can understand everyone wanting Viciedo up...but flat out releasing Pierre would just be stupid. I would much rather just send down Harrell, who may get in one appearance and 3 innings per week if he's lucky.

SI1020
06-11-2011, 01:11 PM
If - IF - they are going to continue playing the way they have through the first part of the season, I'd rather see them just fall off, dump players, fire management, etc. A holding pattern of mediocrity and "what ifs" is hard to watch.

Naturally, I would greatly prefer that they win. I feel the same way. If it's going to take a few years of pain for the organization to change course and really get its act together then now is as good a time as any. This is going on 5 years of a rudderless ship adrift.

Frater Perdurabo
06-11-2011, 02:56 PM
It is possible this team could lose 90 games.

It is also possible this team could win 90 games and/or win the division.

slavko
06-11-2011, 03:58 PM
If your confidence is that fragile in your closer, then you need a new closer.

That, my friend, is a way to kill a closer. You will never and I mean never see that done.

tstrike2000
06-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Hopefully, they get to Gio tonight.

BigKlu59
06-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Normally I take the games where the Sox urinate away certain, absolute wins very hard. To the point where I don't sleep well at all.

It's a bad sign all the way around when despite the garbage that took place Friday night I slept fine. Maybe I'm getting used to it?

Lip

Yup, thats how she goes...Used to toss and turn over these guys, but after all of these years and all of the bizzare things that have happened to this organization, Nothing seems to faze me anymore... Its almost like, think of the most bizarre way a team could lose with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th with a 2 run lead and you say, "NO WAY"!..., And the rabbits foot goes down the hole and the Pale Hose find a way to to do it......

Just wondering why OZ didnt yank Santos when he started to become Santos Claus with the free passes and boink... And yes. what was Rios doin playing little league CF.. They need 2 dont give em three..

Slept well as well, Professor. These guys dont make it easy on us do they.

BK59

SoxSpeed22
06-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Santos has always been great for the first two outs, but for whatever reason, has had trouble with the last out. I don't get why he didn't use his changup more.

SI1020
06-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Santos has always been great for the first two outs, but for whatever reason, has had trouble with the last out. I don't get why he didn't use his changup more. I think he's still just learning how to pitch. How to set up hitters, to mix things up when your out pitch isn't working.

kufram
06-11-2011, 06:13 PM
This is baseball, folks. Shouldn't lose sleep, shouldn't jump off bridges.

Gavin
06-11-2011, 07:07 PM
this is baseball, folks. Shouldn't lose sleep, shouldn't jump off bridges.

No!!! Peavy for closer now. Now.

BainesHOF
06-11-2011, 09:03 PM
No!!! Peavy for closer now. Now.

It's hard to pitch from the disabled list.