Cubs 63-47
Houston 62-49 1.5
St. Louis 56-54 7

Mathew
08-07-2001, 12:23 AM
Go Astros Go!

Bmr31
08-07-2001, 12:37 AM
Our division is so winnable this year. Its unfortunate that we had all these injuries, and poor play.

doublem23
08-07-2001, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Bmr31
Our division is so winnable this year. Its unfortunate that we had all these injuries, and poor play.

I know, BMR. We had this division handed to un on a silver platter.

Bmr31
08-07-2001, 12:55 AM
all that means is its great news for next season and for years to come. when healthy, the sox are the best team in this division and theyre only going to get better!

doublem23
08-07-2001, 12:56 AM
all that means is its great news for next season and for years to come. when healthy, the sox are the best team in this division and theyre only going to get better!

I completely agree.

Chisox353014
08-07-2001, 10:34 AM
Our division is so winnable this year. Its unfortunate that we had all these injuries, and poor play

That's the most frustrating part about this season. If we hadn't stumbled so badly out of the gate we'd be in the middle of a tremendous 3-team pennant race right now. Still, if we can keep hanging around and get to within around 5 games out by September 1st, we at least get another crack at Cleveland and Minny. I don't see either team running away and hiding.

doublem23
08-07-2001, 10:48 AM
Well, the Twins scare me a lot more than the Toons do, for a few reasons.

A - They play in quite possibly the worst ballpark in baseball.
B - We can't find a way to beat them.
C - Cleveland is falling apart. Their pitching is showing real signs of strain. If their offense stumbles for any amount of time, they will be in really bad shape. That is a big if, though.

Soxboyrob
08-07-2001, 10:53 AM

I refuse to accept the injuries as a reason. We lost Parque, Eldred and Wells from our starting staff, but replaced them w/ a combination of KWells, Garland, Lowe and Wright. These guys have done ok for us. We knew not to expect much from Eldred. It hurts losing Frank too. But we are a very talented team playing like Dogspit for almost all of this season. How many times have the Sox snatched defeat from the jaws of victory this year? How many times has our defense cost us the game? How pathetic has our "table-setter" Ray Durham been in the leadoff role? Could Maggs be having any worse of a clutch hitting season? Why does our team REFUSE to situationally hit? Our manager has additionally cost us 5-8 games this year. Injuries had nothing to do w/ why Baines, Ramirez and Clayton were allowed to play so much when they weren't producing. We'd have been better off letting our pitchers hit than DH'ing Baines...I'm serious. No kidding. Why has Wallace Johnson had so many guys thrown out at home this year? Is it the runners' faults? Wallace's fault? Bad Stop sign?

There are so many reasons that we're losing that are unrelated to the injuries that I'm just not willing to consider the injuries to be a factor. Without those injuries, we may not have ever gotten to see Danny Wright. Lowe would still be a reliever. Rowand might still be in the minors, while Valentin would be playing CF. Garland wouldn't be starting. Glover would have been traded by now or in the minors. Hell, Buehrle might still be in the bullpen too. The original plan was to have him work in the pen. He only was pegged as a starter due to all of the injuries. With a smarter and grittier team and a good manager, we're at least 10 games over .500 right now. Injuries be damned.

Clarkdog
08-07-2001, 11:00 AM
The Sox should take a cue from the Flubs for 2002. The Flubs started playing in 2001 and realized they were in a division (even a league) for the taking. How else could they explain being in 1st for this long? Granted thier pitching has been good, but scoring as few runs as they do and playing so weakly in the field as they have, and still being in 1st; that is the benefit of a weak division. The AL Central of 2002 could be similar to the NL Central of 2001.

The Sox should look to staff up a team in 2002 for October and look to railroad the division in 2002 and leave no doubt with the rest of AL. If they need a bat, get a big bat. If they need an arm, get a big arm. Don't nickle and dime, because with the Indians age (and Hart's departure), the Twins limited budget, the Tiger's foolishness, and the Royals inexperience; the division is really the Sox to lose in 2002.

2002 is a big year for them. With stadium improvements and the All-Star game slated for 2003, the Sox need to take center stage not only in Chicago but for the national audience.

They might also look at a new manager. I like Manuel the same way I liked Doug Collins with the Bulls. Good with a young ballclub, but didn't have the stuff to win the big one.

harwar
08-07-2001, 11:24 AM
No one has a DL list like ours.Without all the injuries this year,we're right in it,maybe on top.What a bummer this year turned out to be.

Mathew
08-07-2001, 01:48 PM
I don't buy the injuries as the be all end all. If I had to blame 1 thing it's lack of heart,hustle,will,desire whatever you want to call it. Injuries can inspire all of those things as the healthy must bind together and pick it up. Instead we complain about playing time and go on individual slumps and streaks that inspire the use of many four letter words. That is a major problem.

Paulwny
08-07-2001, 02:30 PM
Agree Mathew, look at the red sox, without Nomar for 1/2 a year, their offense still gets the job done. Other then Pedro the starting pitching was very suspect, no one appears to like Williams yet their still in it. DESIRE and EXECUTION are the keys.

Tragg
08-07-2001, 06:18 PM
It wasn't winnable because the twins have mauled us unmercifully (11-2 or thereabouts?). Had we split with them, we'd be in the thick of it. That's a big if, however.

I think the Twins are our competition next year, with possibly either the Royals or Tigers finally turning things around like the Twins did this year.