PDA

View Full Version : Since May 6th

voodoochile
06-09-2011, 11:32 PM
That was the day the Sox lost the first game of the Seattle series to land them at 11-22. The Sox are 20-12 since that night even including the jump off the cliff horrific three games in Toronto which caused Ozzie to blow his stack and WSI to completely melt down with those who believe the team is toast to rage wildly.

The best part is the competition has been tougher than that they faced digging the hole they are still climbing out of and they actually had only one day off between that fateful Friday night loss and June 2nd and it came on 5/12.

I don't know where this team will finish. I don't know if they will win the division or if so how far they will advance, but the character they've shown over the past 5 weeks is nothing short of amazing. If Rios can actually find some life and Dunn can hit a few bombs these next 4 months anything is possible, but for now I'm simply content to point out that the rumors of the Sox demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Looking forward to a fun summer of baseball after all. Go Sox!

BigKlu59
06-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Amen... I repeat... Amen!! This team has a legit shot at the division. I think most on the board have come in off of the ledge over the last couple of weeks... Play smart, hard, ball and we can have chicken littles for dinner.. Winner Winner ... Chicken Dinner !!!

BK59

Nellie_Fox
06-10-2011, 01:18 AM
I think most on the board have come in off of the ledge over the last couple of weeks...Nah, it's still very bi-polar on here. After every loss people go nuts again.

manders_01
06-10-2011, 01:30 AM
That was the day the Sox lost the first game of the Seattle series to land them at 11-22. The Sox are 20-12 since that night even including the jump off the cliff horrific three games in Toronto which caused Ozzie to blow his stack and WSI to completely melt down with those who believe the team is toast to rage wildly.

The best part is the competition has been tougher than that they faced digging the hole they are still climbing out of and they actually had only one day off between that fateful Friday night loss and June 2nd and it came on 5/12.

I don't know where this team will finish. I don't know if they will win the division or if so how far they will advance, but the character they've shown over the past 5 weeks is nothing short of amazing. If Rios can actually find some life and Dunn can hit a few bombs these next 4 months anything is possible, but for now I'm simply content to point out that the rumors of the Sox demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Where's the like button?!?! :D:

Alright, this'll have to do: :thumbsup:

hawkjt
06-10-2011, 01:40 AM
Even with Jake's recent injury the starting pitching has been good.
MB had his 8th straight start of at least 7 innings with 3ERs or less...very solid.
PK has been the rock all year...and is hotter than heck right now,along with Carlos. Thank the good lord that Kenny did not listen to those who wanted to dump both guys this offseason.

Lets hope Dunn's bomb is the start of a good summer for him,and Alex has 3 hits the last two nites...so there is hope for those two.
Must continue the momentum thru the weekend vs the A's and then they go to minny to face the hot Twins(7 of 8)...then on to interleague play.
Go Sox!

doublem23
06-10-2011, 02:08 AM
They're definitely playing much more to their potential lately than the 1st 6 weeks of the year. Just hope that pathetically awful slow start doesn't cost them... again.

captain54
06-10-2011, 03:16 AM
but for now I'm simply content to point out that the rumors of the Sox demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Let's see if the Sox can a) get to .500 b) consistently get a runner home from 3rd with less than two out c) see if the left fielder can get the cement out of his glove d) beat the teams in our division other than the Indians... before we starting jumping up and down and doing backflips..

kufram
06-10-2011, 03:31 AM
I'm here to enjoy baseball and I'll do backflips whenever I want... haven't done any of those since 2005, by the way. It was always to early to throw in the towel in May and it is too early now to predict success. But, like I said, I'm here to enjoy baseball and rule number one is never get too low about it. Rule number two is never get too high about it.

I enjoy every win more than I hate every loss. This team is full of possibilities... THAT no one can deny.

voodoochile
06-10-2011, 04:21 AM
Let's see if the Sox can a) get to .500 b) consistently get a runner home from 3rd with less than two out c) see if the left fielder can get the cement out of his glove d) beat the teams in our division other than the Indians... before we starting jumping up and down and doing backflips..

Where did I mention doing back flips or jumping up and down. If you read my post as I wrote it, it's clear that I'm not predicting a World Series championship or even a playoff appearance. No I won't rule those things out either, but I do think we have a few months of fun coming and the Sox will at the least stay in the race. They have definitely had some quality wins recently including a sweep of the redhot FauxSox in Beantown.

So you can continue to be angry, frustrated, hurt and confused and continue do do your Captain Bringdown schtick all you want.

Me? I'm gonna enjoy the ride...

mccoydp
06-10-2011, 06:02 AM
I haven't been able to watch a Sox game for the last year. Thankfully, I missed their April funk this year, and I plan on an entertaining summer of baseball when I return to the States next week :D:

kobo
06-10-2011, 06:37 AM
There is no doubt the team is playing better over the last month, however, it's still frustrating that they got off to another horrid start. I'm cautiously optimistic at this time, but if they had gone .500 through the first 5 weeks and then started to win more consistently I'd feel a lot better. Lots of baseball left, and with interleague play starting next weekend I fully expect the Sox to get over the .500 mark and be within a couple games of Cleveland or Detroit by the end of the month. Really need Dunn and Rios to get going; let's hope last night's game was the beginning of good things for both of them.

Dan H
06-10-2011, 08:37 AM
The recent play has been encouraging. Even more encouraging is the Sox now seem to know what roles their key players need to play. Santos is the closer, not Thornton. Quentin is batting third and needs to stay there. Humber has to stay in the rotation no matter what is going on with Peavy. And Morel has had a little chance to get his feet wet.

At least they are within striking distance. I just hope they can play better against Detroit. That is the real team to beat.

asindc
06-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Nah, it's still very bi-polar on here. After every loss people go nuts again.

Pretty much. I honestly think some people forget that there are 162 games in the regular season.

white sox bill
06-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Nah, it's still very bi-polar on here. After every loss people go nuts again.
A few fine line between World Series bound and back up the truck Kenny....

asindc
06-10-2011, 08:49 AM
I'm here to enjoy baseball and I'll do backflips whenever I want... haven't done any of those since 2005, by the way. It was always to early to throw in the towel in May and it is too early now to predict success. But, like I said, I'm here to enjoy baseball and rule number one is never get too low about it. Rule number two is never get too high about it.

I enjoy every win more than I hate every loss. This team is full of possibilities... THAT no one can deny.

I approve of this post.

Railsplitter
06-10-2011, 09:14 AM
I don't talk contender if the team is below .500.

MARTINMVP
06-10-2011, 09:15 AM

While I'm not convinced the Sox will win the division, watching a game now versus just six weeks ago is a night and day difference. At the moment, I go into each game thinking the Sox at least have a shot at a win. Makes a world of difference.

ChiSoxGal85
06-10-2011, 09:27 AM
While I'm not convinced the Sox will win the division, watching a game now versus just six weeks ago is a night and day difference. At the moment, I go into each game thinking the Sox at least have a shot at a win. Makes a world of difference.
This. Before every game six weeks ago, I was all like: "oh, ****, I wonder which sort of stupidity is going to lead to a Sox loss tonight?" Now I look forward to each game because the Sox are playing much better and are much less painful to watch (usually).

miker
06-10-2011, 09:44 AM
...but for now I'm simply content to point out that the rumors of the Sox demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Ohhh, that sun-shiny attitude might not settle well with some people on this board...

...but I like their chances too. Hope we didn't dig ourselves too deep a whole.

Jollyroger2
06-10-2011, 10:02 AM

Agreed. It's still way too hard to get overly thrilled about a 20-12 "run". If there's one thing this team is consistent about, it's the fact they aren't reliable. They lose a few and look awful, then win a few and look good. If they really are on the way back from the brink, then at the very least they should take five of the next seven against Oakland and Minnesota. (Well four of six now after last night)

I need to see improvement from Rios and Dunn, as well as other areas. Most of this month they're playing weak teams. They have a great chance to make up ground and get above the .500 mark and stay there.

Things are definitely better than where they were, but they're still not even at the break-even point.

billcissell
06-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Is the White Sox glass of kool-aid half empty or half full?

A 20-12 run is promising, but we're still under .500. That's what happens when you get off to another miserable start.

Two regulars in the lineup have been in season-long offensive slumps. Our second baseman is starting to come around offensively the last month or so. It sure would be nice if all of them could play up to their potential.

Our #1 pitcher is on the DL, and hasn't really contributed at all this season.

We've had a few rough outings early from the bullpen.

There's still 90+ games to go - so anything can happen. But I like our chances of finishing on top of this division.

kjhanson
06-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Everyone was overly dramatic (in a negative way) about the 11-22 (33 games) start, so it's fair game to be stoked about a 20-12 (32 games) run. Those are two equal-sized parts of the season with opposite results. I'm just glad the recent one is the positive one.

voodoochile
06-10-2011, 12:06 PM

Hey even a diehard optimist like me had a hard time watching the Sox in late April. They were brutal. I said as much in several game threads and a few post game threads.

And I agree, the current version is much more enjoyable.

captain54
06-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Captain Bringdown schtick all you want.

Captain Bringdown...that's good

I think Captain Reality is more fitting

asindc
06-10-2011, 12:59 PM

Captain Bringdown...that's good

I think Captain Reality is more fitting

The 'reality' is that this thread does not represent "jumping up and down and doing backflips," but rather you chose to refer to it that way.

Hitmen77
06-10-2011, 01:02 PM

Great post.

I'd like to add, though, that I actually don't find this rebound by the Sox all that amazing. I think it follows the pattern of at least last year where they looked like dead meat early, dug themselves in a big hole, and then went on a nice run.

The good news about this year's rebound is that, as you pointed out, it started on May 6 - which is about a month earlier than they snapped out of it last year. Another bit of encouragment to me is that they made this comeback with Dunn and Rios still being simply awful at the plate. I do expect those guys to improve and that will make this offense that much better.

The bullpen looked like a disaster in April, but it's looking much better. It's not perfect, but it doesn't look like this is certain to be our Achilles heel like it did in April.

I'd say our biggest failure so far this year (aside from that 11-22 start) is our 1-5 showing against Detroit. We simply need to play better against them from here on out and not do things like make Raburn look like an All-Star against us.

4.5 behind Detroit on June 10? That's plenty of time to catch up - the Sox just need to find some consistency the rest of the way.

Like others said, though, I'm still waiting for them crack the .500 mark before I really consider this team as possibly poised for bigger things.

captain54
06-10-2011, 01:23 PM
The 'reality' is that this thread does not represent "jumping up and down and doing backflips," but rather you chose to refer to it that way.

The "backflip" comment was not meant to be taken literally, but by all means take what I said literally if it fits your argument.

guillensdisciple
06-10-2011, 01:24 PM
I'll put it like this. No matter what anyone states, the White Sox have yet to play their best baseball this entire year. We stand at 5.5 back after playing relatively bad and mediocre for almost two months now. I hate saying if, because I feel that in sports (especially baseball), it is used too much. However, if the Sox play good baseball which requires contributions from Dunn, Rios, and Beckham. Followed by bullpen continuity in Sale and Thornton. If these pieces fall in line the way they should then we will do great things this year.

If not, well, there will be a lot of pissed of White Sox fans.

EDIT: Yes, my entire sentence is a fragment.

VMSNS
06-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Sox records by month...

April: 10-18
May: 16-13
June: 5-3

They're certainly improving. Hopefully, Dunn and Rios will start to pull out of whatever funk they're in.

JB98
06-10-2011, 01:34 PM

Me neither. The Sox still make too many physical and mental mistakes for me to buy in to the optimism at this point.

voodoochile
06-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Great post.

I'd like to add, though, that I actually don't find this rebound by the Sox all that amazing. I think it follows the pattern of at least last year where they looked like dead meat early, dug themselves in a big hole, and then went on a nice run.

The good news about this year's rebound is that, as you pointed out, it started on May 6 - which is about a month earlier than they snapped out of it last year. Another bit of encouragment to me is that they made this comeback with Dunn and Rios still being simply awful at the plate. I do expect those guys to improve and that will make this offense that much better.

The bullpen looked like a disaster in April, but it's looking much better. It's not perfect, but it doesn't look like this is certain to be our Achilles heel like it did in April.

I'd say our biggest failure so far this year (aside from that 11-22 start) is our 1-5 showing against Detroit. We simply need to play better against them from here on out and not do things like make Raburn look like an All-Star against us.

4.5 behind Detroit on June 10? That's plenty of time to catch up - the Sox just need to find some consistency the rest of the way.

Like others said, though, I'm still waiting for them crack the .500 mark before I really consider this team as possibly poised for bigger things.

For me it's more about the manner of the way they've dug out of the hole (or mostly out) they were in. Last year they had one amazing run against terrible teams to erase the deficit they had created and give people a sense of false hope.

This year they've been beating much better teams and only a fool whould hope for a 26-5 run over the last 5 weeks given the schedule and level of competition. Now they still get their month of easier games with a lot more home cooking to make it even easier. If they get hot now and rip off a fat run against this lesser competition they could go into the AS break 10 games over .500 and sitting in first or damned close to it.

No I'm not predicting that, but it won't take that kind of a run to put them squarely in the pennant race for the second half of the season.

Still for me this is the most impressive aspect of their recent turnaround and it's been mostly ignored by the naysayers who insist this team's true character is shown by the first 5 weeks of the season and not the second 5 weeks of the season. They insist they are the true champions of "reality" and that the ones like me and others who share my viewpoint are the delusional ones or at least severely jumping the gun by pointing out that the Sox have turned a corner and are steadily working their way back into things.

Guess time will tell which side is correct, and I'm more than happy to simply watch the team play their improved level of baseball and enjoy the prospect of a fun summer of watching said improved level of baseball. With about 2/3 of the season yet to be played, anything is still possible...

northsideirish
06-10-2011, 01:44 PM

That pretty much sums it up for me right there!

MARTINMVP
06-10-2011, 01:48 PM
I also don't think the Sox can be thought of serious contenders until they can beat teams within their division. They need to get over the hump that has been the Tigers in recent series, and of course the Twins.

While I probably should know better by now, I can't help but feel some optimism against next week's series against the Twins.

soltrain21
06-10-2011, 02:03 PM
It's hard to be excited about a team that's lost more games than they've won. Let's get over .500 and go from there.

asindc
06-10-2011, 02:08 PM
The "backflip" comment was not meant to be taken literally, but by all means take what I said literally if it fits your argument.

Yes, I fully understand that, now and when I wrote my previous post. Rather than take it literally (which seems rather pointless), I prefer to continue to respond with the original understanding, which means my previous post stands.

Falstaff
06-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Well many fans have expressed dismay over Ozzie's approach to spring training (playing lots of AAA players in "meaningless" games, then cutting from
roster). Ya, I agree that finally the club has figured out who should be in what roles, batting order, etc, and lo and behold the improved record.
Probably will go on to challenge for the division this year.

Maybe just maybe NEXT YEAR they will make more productive use of spring training. So NEXT YEAR they wont spent April kicking the ball around the infield and finding ways to lose winnable/almost won games.

But ya, I am now stoked to once again have baseball to care about for the rest of the summer. GO GO WHITE SOX

spawn
06-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Where did I mention doing back flips or jumping up and down. If you read my post as I wrote it, it's clear that I'm not predicting a World Series championship or even a playoff appearance. No I won't rule those things out either, but I do think we have a few months of fun coming and the Sox will at the least stay in the race. They have definitely had some quality wins recently including a sweep of the redhot FauxSox in Beantown.

So you can continue to be angry, frustrated, hurt and confused and continue do do your Captain Bringdown schtick all you want.

:thumbsup:

GoSox2K3
06-11-2011, 03:04 PM
It's hard to be excited about a team that's lost more games than they've won. Let's get over .500 and go from there.

Over the last 18 games, the Sox have played .500 (9-9) ball. So, they had a little hot streak for a couple of weeks in early May and they have now settled back to mediocrity.

They're not as bad as they were during their 11-22 stretch and they're not as good as their May 6-22 little hot streak. Nice comeback from begin 11-21, but they're still looking like a 79 to 82 win team to me.

TDog
06-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Over the last 18 games, the Sox have played .500 (9-9) ball. So, they had a little hot streak for a couple of weeks in early May and they have now settled back to mediocrity.

They're not as bad as they were during their 11-22 stretch and they're not as good as their May 6-22 little hot streak. Nice comeback from begin 11-21, but they're still looking like a 79 to 82 win team to me.

That includes a 10-game road trip to Texas, Toronto and Boston, a series against the Tigers and a series facing the two best Mariners pitchers. Playing .500 ball over that stretch isn't medicore. If the Tigers split in their next two games against Pineda and Hernandez, they will have split against the "crappy" Mariners. As well as the Tigers have been playing, the Tigers have only picked up 2.5 games on the White Sox during that time. The Sox have picked up 3.5 games on the Indians in that time. Argue that the Tigers are 4.5 games ahead of the White Sox because the Tigers have won five of six from the White Sox, but take away the games between the two teams, and the White Sox have a better record.

If the White Sox are mediocre, they play in a mediocre division in a mediocre league.

Since May 6, the White Sox have lost 1 game in the standings to the Tigers, picked up 5.5 games in the standings to the Indians, picked up 8.5 games on the Royals and 8 games on the Twins. That doesn't include today's Indians loss to the Yankees.

I support Voodoo's original point. I don't think the last 18 games presents an argument against it.

Frater Perdurabo
06-11-2011, 04:23 PM
... Argue that the Tigers are 4.5 games ahead of the White Sox because the Tigers have won five of six from the White Sox, but take away the games between the two teams, and the White Sox have a better record...

The Sox had a better record than the Twins against all other opponents in 2010. But the Twins killed the Sox head-to-head, so the Twins won the division.

If the Sox can't consistently beat DET (and MIN and KC; they have done well against CLE), then they won't win the division.

Hitmen77
06-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Argue that the Tigers are 4.5 games ahead of the White Sox because the Tigers have won five of six from the White Sox, but take away the games between the two teams, and the White Sox have a better record.

I disagree with the "we would have had a better record if" logic. We don't get to disregard the games vs. the Tigers in the standings. Those 6 games vs. Detroit so far count and we lost 5 of them.

Sox
06-11-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm looking forward to the summer myself and some greatly improved White Sox baseball. Tonight was a good start by taking 3 out of 4 from the A's.

TDog
06-12-2011, 01:10 AM
I disagree with the "we would have had a better record if" logic. We don't get to disregard the games vs. the Tigers in the standings. Those 6 games vs. Detroit so far count and we lost 5 of them.

Of course you don't get to disregard losses to the Tigers. I didn't write that the games didn't count. I wrote that there isn't a big difference between the Tigers and the White Sox. If Crain gets Cabrera out a week ago, the teams are probably only separated by 2.5 games. If you're talking about teams being mediocre, there isn't a big difference between the White Sox and the Tigers.

fram40
06-12-2011, 11:43 AM
My friend calls me "Captain Negativo" because of my pessimism regarding the Sox. Oddly, I remain optimistic that they will win this division.

This team is so damn close - so ****ing close - to being a good team. A very good team. I too am looking forward to a fun summer watching the Sox.