PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6-9 Easy Win Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
06-09-2011, 10:01 PM
That's a beauty.

JimmyJames
06-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Who else to do the A's have pitching? Cahill should be the toughest one we face, no?

doublem23
06-09-2011, 10:03 PM
5.5 gb

LongLiveFisk
06-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Back to 3 games under. Can they finally claw their way back to the .500 mark? :praying:

doublem23
06-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Who else to do the A's have pitching? Cahill should be the toughest one we face, no?

Graham Godfrey tomorrow, making his MLB debut. Gio Saturday, a tough assignment, but his home/road splits are in our favor, and we close it out Sunday with Guillermo Moscoso, who has a grand total of 16 appearances, 3 starts, and 33.2 IP over 3 seasons with the A's and Rangers.

voodoochile
06-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Great team effort offensively. Every starter had a hit, 7 guys scored runs, 6 guys drove runs in.

And a donkey bomb to boot.

3 games under, 5.5 back...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

BainesHOF
06-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Nice game tonight. Buehrle's been on a roll. The hitters did their job, even Dunn.

However, I'm not sure why Pierre is playing anymore. If we're going to be serious contenders, he shouldn't even be on the roster.

sullythered
06-09-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm really starting to think (again) we're gonna win this division.

Lip Man 1
06-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Can't ask for much better than tonight.

Now keep it going.

Lip

voodoochile
06-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Nice game tonight. Buehrle's been on a roll. The hitters did their job, even Dunn.

However, I'm not sure why Pierre is playing anymore. If we're going to be serious contenders, he shouldn't even be on the roster.

He reached base 3 times tonight scored a run and drove one in by taking a walk. What does the guy have to do?

JimmyJames
06-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Graham Godfrey tomorrow, making his MLB debut. Gio Saturday, a tough assignment, but his home/road splits are in our favor, and we close it out Sunday with Guillermo Moscoso, who has a grand total of 16 appearances, 3 starts, and 33.2 IP over 3 seasons with the A's and Rangers.

so two guys we've never really seen? Could be problematic. No matter, if they can hit like tonight, it won't matter.

BigKlu59
06-09-2011, 10:22 PM
No problem with Juan here..sure, he made a bonehead play..Anyone on here not guilty of doing that?.. didnt think so..He's fine.. Nice effort tonite. Props to Mark and the guys. Keep this train a rollin down the track... 3 below,5.5 back...end of series .500 and 2.5 back. are ya "all in"

BK59

SoxSpeed22
06-09-2011, 10:23 PM
More Dunn bombs please. Solid job by Buehrle as well.

ChiSoxGal85
06-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Buehrle is on a roll...Adam Dunn finally hits one out - to left center! I like that. Everyone on the starting lineup had a hit tonight. Cahill was not at his best, but I'm still glad anytime the Sox beat a tough pitcher.

One game at a time. One win at a time...keep it up. Jackson on the mound tomorrow, let's hope for a solid outing.

BainesHOF
06-09-2011, 10:32 PM
He reached base 3 times tonight scored a run and drove one in by taking a walk. What does the guy have to do?

Uh, Pierre is no longer a Major League player. Lillibridge is better than Pierre in all phases of the game. Viciedo is a much better option, too. Release Pierre and bring up Viciedo.

voodoochile
06-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Uh, Pierre is no longer a Major League player. Lillibridge is better than Pierre in all phases of the game. Viciedo is a much better option, too. Release Pierre and bring up Viciedo.

Pierre posted a .365 OBP in May. He is off to a bit of a slow start in June but not horribly so. Oh and since he started the season 5/12 in stolen bases (in April) he's been successful 5/7 times.

It's a marathon. Not a sprint...

Jurr
06-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Quietly, the Sox are rounding into shape.
Let's hope they keep the pace and make the fall exciting.
Go Sox!

sunofgold
06-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Pierre is no longer a MLB caliber player? haha! He isn't having his best season so far, but he has been serviceable. And I think that he has been getting better this year and could continue this trend.

And I don't think that we really have anybody else who could leadoff everyday. And him and AJ are the only two guys who can reliably bunt successfully.

Anyways, great game. A's are in a grand funk and this is a great time to be playing them..new manager or not. We have to thinking sweep..3 out of 4 at minimum.

doublem23
06-09-2011, 10:53 PM
so two guys we've never really seen? Could be problematic. No matter, if they can hit like tonight, it won't matter.

I'm not aware of any actual evidence that suggestions the Sox are any better or worse against pitchers they're unfamiliar with than any other team in the league.

It's mostly just anecdotal.

JB98
06-09-2011, 10:54 PM

Catch the ball.

Noneck
06-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Quietly, the Sox are rounding into shape.
Let's hope they keep the pace and make the fall exciting.

Lets 1st have an exciting summer, because the spring has not been one.

kittle42
06-09-2011, 11:11 PM
And where was Hawk getting Buehrle's supposed 16-9 or whatever record v. Oakland? He's 6-13 now.

sunofgold
06-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Pretty much a typical Buehrle season but that is good! He better not retire! He should at least get to 200 wins easily!

ShooterMcGavin
06-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Things are looking up for the Sox. Beckham is finding it, 2-4 tonight; Vizquel has a 2-3 night and isn't bothered by riding the bench; and Dunn hit an opposite field home run.

The Sox beat a good pitcher tonight. Buehrle protected the lead and won for the #154th time.

Moses_Scurry
06-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Maybe it is just lingering bitterness from the mid-2000's or the late 80's-early 90's, but I really feel an extra level of pleasure from beating those bastards, more so than most other teams. :bandance:

I am the same way with the Twins, but those victories are hard to come by.

doublem23
06-09-2011, 11:38 PM
And where was Hawk getting Buehrle's supposed 16-9 or whatever record v. Oakland? He's 6-13 now.

Hawk watches the Sox with perpetual drunk goggles, it's always way better looking to him.

Hitmen77
06-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Great team effort offensively. Every starter had a hit, 7 guys scored runs, 6 guys drove runs in.

And a donkey bomb to boot.

3 games under, 5.5 back...

Another 2 hits for Beckham. Good to see that both he and Morel (who had the night off) have come around the last couple of weeks.

2 hits for Rios and a HR for Dunn. One good game doesn't mean their slump is over....let's see if they can show some signs of life in upcoming games.

Crooked Number
06-10-2011, 12:14 AM
Good game overall. Buehrle solid, went deep. Crain came in and had a nice bounce back outing. Ohman is looking surprisingly well, i must say i didn't see that coming. That bloop rbi hit was crap, i'm not worried about it in a garbage time situation.

The offense...nice. Late inning runs via a sac fly and then Paulie. Him and Carlos are fire. Dunn had a good connect. Too bad he can't make more contact because his brute strength gives him those kind of HR which are soft fly outs for most. He struckout again, which Stone mentioned was his 26th strikeout - looking this season. I had to rewind it to make sure i wasn't dreaming. 26 K's looking? That is just...:o:

Good win. Now lets try to get closer than 3 under. 3 under has been their nemesis. Got to push past it. Even at the break, that is the goal. They are within striking distance of it.

hawkjt
06-10-2011, 12:34 AM
Pierre posted a .365 OBP in May. He is off to a bit of a slow start in June but not horribly so. Oh and since he started the season 5/12 in stolen bases (in April) he's been successful 5/7 times.

Juan is the designated goat this year, I guess. Dunn and Rios are hitting 60 points lower,and paid 8 million more,but Juan is THE guy that is holding back the Sox....used to be Konerko,then Crede,then Pods,and now Juan.

TDog
06-10-2011, 12:46 AM

Technically,, Pierre got the game-winning RBI tonight, although GWRBI is no longer an official stat. The two-out bases-loaded walk put the White Sox ahead for good.

I don't know why people are complaining about a leadoff hitter who reached base three times in five appearances.

The A's players didn't play like they were trying to impress their new manager, especially in the second inning, and the Sox took advantage. If Vizquel foul pop up is caught, it's a totally different ballgame. People wonder how

It's nice to see Dunn contribute. Buehrle, as has often been the case this year, did what he had to do. When he gave up three hits in the second, he limited the damage. After the Sox grabbed the lead on a walk, a single, a hit batsmen, a sacrifice fly an infield hit, a walk and another infield hit, Buehrle shut down the A's. After the Dunn home run and another bases-loaded walk knocked out the A's best pitcher, it was pretty much over. The two-run homer by the A's underperforming big-money DH came too late, especially with the White Sox pounding the former Oakland closer whose vocal complaints about Bob Geren set the Bob Melvin hiring into motion.

Winning with Wil Ohman on the mound to finish the game is a good thing.

kufram
06-10-2011, 01:12 AM
A good win, picked up some ground and very few post game posts. He isn't my favourite player but Juan Pierre IS our leadoff hitter and I think we're going to win or lose with him there. People need someone to blame (even after a big team win no less) and he is it right now but our failures so far this year are not ALL his fault so I'm going to back him. He's what we've got, might as well accept it.

I really like Lillibridge but I think if you make him an everyday starter at one position he would be the butt of protests before long. Ozzie's been using him exactly as he should be used. The bullpen is still the biggest worry in my opinion, but I'm hopeful.

Foulke You
06-10-2011, 01:31 AM
The Dunn 2 run shot made me feel great. :gulp: I'm happy for him and the team that he got it in an important part of the game and the fans had reason to cheer for him. Lost in the shuffle is the two hits from Rios. I'll give Ozzie credit for giving those guys the mental break they needed. It's no coincidence that we hung 9 runs on the opposition on a night when those two produced for us. It reminds you how good this team can be if they get it going.

I've been vocal for Lillibridge getting a shot in LF but I'll give credit to Pierre. He had a nice game. Juan used his speed to get on base with the bunt and the infield hit. The problem is we just haven't seen enough of that. He is a hard worker and I hope he keeps it going because he is going to play every day as long as Ozzie is manager.

One other random thought. Is anyone else worried that Jesse Crain is being run out there too often? Ozzie has leaned heavily on him due to our thin depth in the right handed reliever department but there is going to come a time where he is going to have to trust Bruney or Sale to cover some outs in the 8th inning of ballgames.

Chez
06-10-2011, 06:40 AM
One other random thought. Is anyone else worried that Jesse Crain is being run out there too often? Ozzie has leaned heavily on him due to our thin depth in the right handed reliever department but there is going to come a time where he is going to have to trust Bruney or Sale to cover some outs in the 8th inning of ballgames.

Definitely. Sale and Thornton are both progressing to the point where Ozzie should consider them for 8th inning duty. I was hoping that the odd man out when the 6 man rotation shrinks to 5 would also strenghten our bullpen -- then Jake got hurt. Crain has been great; but I'm worried about fatigue in August and September. It happened to Putz, Thornton and Santos last year and it really cost us.

palehozenychicty
06-10-2011, 06:55 AM
Maybe it is just lingering bitterness from the mid-2000's or the late 80's-early 90's, but I really feel an extra level of pleasure from beating those bastards, more so than most other teams. :bandance:

I am the same way with the Twins, but those victories are hard to come by.

Beating those A's is always good. I hated those teams then, and I hate Beane today. :bandance::bandance:

chisoxfanatic
06-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Translation: 1-hit shutout. Grrr!

Chez
06-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Translation: 1-hit shutout. Grrr!

Have some faith. We had never seen A. Oliver from the Tigers until we kicked the stuffing out of him last Friday. I don't think we had faced Pineda until we beat him on Monday.

October26
06-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Good win last night. I like the Adam Dunn that hits home runs. :cool:

kittle42
06-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Juan is the designated goat this year, I guess. Dunn and Rios are hitting 60 points lower,and paid 8 million more,but Juan is THE guy that is holding back the Sox....used to be Konerko,then Crede,then Pods,and now Juan.

I think it is pretty easy to figure out why Pierre is getting more attention than Dunn or Rios, but I also think it's been discussed to death.

BainesHOF
06-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Wednesday's fly ball dropping was the last straw for me as far as Pierre is concerned. He's butchered far too many balls this season. There's no reason to think that won't continue. We're still below .500 and chasing. He can't be tolerated. He needs to bat .300 and steal a lot of bases at a high percentage to make up for his terrible fielding, weak arm and no power. He used to be a pretty good player and then he degenerated into a serviceable player. Now he's far too often just plain bad. We have better options. It's time to use them, but we won't. The organization is too stubborn and dumb to make changes. It's very lucky to be playing in a bad division because it's still in contention despite itself.

KMcMahon817
06-10-2011, 12:42 PM

I couldn't agree more. Juan angers me with his defense from time to time, and I was close to giving up on him a month or so ago, but he has been fine, overall.

And the dude isn't even paid that much after the cash the Dodgers sent over in the deal. It's around a 5M average for the past two seasons, which, in the grand scheme of things, is really not that much.

TomBradley72
06-10-2011, 01:03 PM
The biggest red flag with Pierre- is that he can't steal a base to save his life- he's hitting OK, his defense continues to be mediocre- if he's not a base stealing threat- I'd rather see Viciedo/Lillibridge in LF.

We wouldn't have a "true" lead off man- but if Pierre can't steal- based on his OBP- he's not a true lead off man either.

hawkjt
06-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Pierre's history is that he gets better as the season goes offensively.
I agree that the base-stealing mojo is missing,but I doubt he has slowed that much since last season. Same with his glove,which was fine last year. I still think the one the other nite was not an easy play that Morel contributed mightily to by running into Juan.

kittle42
06-10-2011, 02:23 PM
I agree that the base-stealing mojo is missing,but I doubt he has slowed that much since last season. Same with his glove,which was fine last year.

So despite obvious and plentiful evidence to the contrary, you believe he hasn't slowed much and is just as solid defensively as last season?

That just makes no sense at all. Defense and particularly baserunning are not exactly "slump" sort of things like hitting and pitching can be.

hawkjt
06-10-2011, 02:30 PM
I guess it is possible that he has lost a step in the last 6 months,aging process,I guess.
I am open to having Lilly play more vs lefties,I guess.
Platooning might be ok for Juan at this point.
But, I think Lilly is cooling off at the plate.

Frater Perdurabo
06-10-2011, 02:30 PM
So despite obvious and plentiful evidence to the contrary, you believe he hasn't slowed much and is just as solid defensively as last season?

That just makes no sense at all. Defense and particularly baserunning are not exactly "slump" sort of things like hitting and pitching can be.

I agree with kittle42. Unless there is some sort of injury (like Pods suffered, and then learned to treat with a different exercise/stretching regimen during his second stint), or other physical problem (diminished eyesight that could be corrected with glasses/contacts), the most plausible explanation for Pierre's decline in fielding and baserunning is that he is aging. Those skills usually don't return after regressing.

kittle42
06-10-2011, 02:34 PM
I guess it is possible that he has lost a step in the last 6 months,aging process,I guess.
I am open to having Lilly play more vs lefties,I guess.
Platooning might be ok for Juan at this point.
But, I think Lilly is cooling off at the plate.

I agree with the latter part here, too - those clamoring for Lillibridge every day won't be if he actually plays every day. Several talking heads have wondered whether he is one of those guys who is just better when you limit his playing time so as not to, as I think DJ put it, "overexpose" them. Ozzie, in something I agree with, said as much.

Neither is THE answer, but I'd say take a look at matchups and see whether a platoon best serves the team right now.

SI1020
06-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Lillibridge can be a valuable member of the team if not too much is expected of him. He is not a starter or any kind of front line player, but he is an off the bench guy that can help you win.

kittle42
06-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Lillibridge can be a valuable member of the team if not too much is expected of him. He is not a starter or any kind of front line player, but he is an off the bench guy that can help you win.

Dead on. Chicago fans sure love their bench guys, though.

balke
06-10-2011, 04:08 PM

News to me. I like Lillihurt - but let's give him about 150 atbats before we all fall in love. He's playing way above his head right now. Could easily be hitting .220 with 3 hrs the rest of the year with a low OBP and few stolen bases. I'm all for letting himself prove otherwise - but its still a bit early to crown him.

Pierre is just the latest scapegoat. 2 weeks from now it'll be Morel or TCQ. Some really smart fan will call them hot garbage cause that's a cool term.

mzh
06-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Dead on. Chicago fans sure love their bench guys, though.
Reed Johnson would have been a HOFer if Lou had played him every day.

kittle42
06-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Reed Johnson would have been a HOFer if Lou had played him every day.

Caleb Hanie!

JB98
06-10-2011, 05:48 PM

Spot on. Kudos to Brent, because he has stepped up his game and made himself valuable in a utility role. But like Ozzie said, if Lillibridge is playing every day, that means someone else on the club is not doing his job.

Dunn and Rios have not been doing their jobs. So, that's why we have seen so much of Lillibridge.