PDA

View Full Version : Comiskey Renovation Done?

Fisk72
07-09-2002, 11:32 AM
Any idea if there will be more renovations over the offseason? I thought I heard that there was going to be $$$ coming from the Soldier Field deal, but I thought I also heard that since we couldn't get the park renamed, nothing was going to happen with the upper deck and rightfield porch shown on www.hksinc.com. I'm pretty sure what's done now is it, but I guess I was hoping there might be more.

Jerry_Manuel
07-09-2002, 12:12 PM
I think they would have to get a corporate backer to do all the renevotations. They get either 19 or 20 million out of the Bears stadium deal. I'm guessing the porch in right and other work would cost upwards of 40 million. So they need so help, gang.

:reinsy
What he said, come out so I can upgrade the park that I helped designed.

FarmerAndy
07-09-2002, 02:34 PM
If there is an All-Star game next year, Comiskey is gonna look like a joke. I like the renovations they've done so far, but it looks half done. For example, we have a green centerfield batters eye, but the seats and outfield walls are still blue. Has anybody else noticed how bad this clashes?

If they can't get anything else done, they at least need to get green seats and green padding for the walls.

This whole thing thing could turn into another huge embarrassment next year.

doublem23
07-09-2002, 02:36 PM
Four words:

Blue sucks.... Green good.

HawkDJ
07-09-2002, 02:37 PM
You guys are nitpicking. I don't see anything wrong with Comiskey.

doublem23
07-09-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
You guys are nitpicking. I don't see anything wrong with Comiskey.

They really need to bring back green (like a former park our Sox played in).

That's it. The upper deck is fine. The lower deck is fine. Comiskey Park is awesome. It just needs some green.

Daver
07-09-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

They really need to bring back green (like a former park our Sox played in).

That's it. The upper deck is fine. The lower deck is fine. Comiskey Park is awesome. It just needs some green.

Get yourself some paint and a brush and get to work MM.

doublem23
07-09-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by daver

Get yourself some paint and a brush and get to work MM.

Someone call Reinsy. I'll work for 6 bucks an hour. :smile:

Daver
07-09-2002, 02:44 PM

Someone call Reinsy. I'll work for 6 bucks an hour. :smile:

I don't remember any mention of pay,your the one that wants more green.

I like blue,I'm fine with that.

Foulke You
07-09-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
If there is an All-Star game next year, Comiskey is gonna look like a joke. I like the renovations they've done so far, but it looks half done. For example, we have a green centerfield batters eye, but the seats and outfield walls are still blue. Has anybody else noticed how bad this clashes?

If they can't get anything else done, they at least need to get green seats and green padding for the walls.

This whole thing thing could turn into another huge embarrassment next year.

I think the park looks pretty nice the way it is now. I wouldn't say it would be an embarassment. The renovations in 2000 and 2001 really helped the look of the park by putting seats all the way down to the wall, new bullpens, etc. Also, don't fret about the blue. Remember, during the all-star game and derby there will be 45,000 @$$es in the seats covering up any trace of blue.

I would like the new renovations too but it doesn't look like they will happen before 2003. You'd think an owner who didn't shell out one dime of his own cash for his stadium would at least recticfy some design flaws with his own money rather than crying poor about attendance and no corporate naming rights.

"Pay for renovations MYSELF?!!! Outrageous!!!"

doublem23
07-09-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by daver

I don't remember any mention of pay,your the one that wants more green.

I like blue,I'm fine with that.

I gotta pay for those Sox tickets somehow. :smile:

Fisk72
07-09-2002, 03:23 PM
I know I posted this earlier on another thread, but won't the derby be less exciting without outfield upperdecks?

whitesoxwilkes
07-09-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72
I know I posted this earlier on another thread, but won't the derby be less exciting without outfield upperdecks?

yeah, we'll have to stand on the ryan to shag sammy's juice-induced derby blasts...

Cheryl
07-09-2002, 03:51 PM
The upper deck isn't fine. The last time I was up there it looked filthy. That was Opening Day, so who knows what it looks like now.

cheeses_h_rice
07-09-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
The upper deck isn't fine. The last time I was up there it looked filthy. That was Opening Day, so who knows what it looks like now.

I wonder if that's because this guy had sat up there:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,5505308_59,00.html

Binky_Bee
07-09-2002, 05:00 PM
There is going to be a thrid-stage of renovations. Although the incline of the upper deck will not be fixed in this go-round, they are going to put a Bullpen Bar-type establishment where the current press box is, and apply brick facade and update the vendor stands in the upper-deck.

Jerry_Manuel
07-09-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Binky_Bee
There is going to be a thrid-stage of renovations. Although the incline of the upper deck will not be fixed in this go-round, they are going to put a Bullpen Bar-type establishment where the current press box is, and apply brick facade and update the vendor stands in the upper-deck.

Do you have some inside info? I haven't seen that reported anywhere yet.

Bucktown
07-09-2002, 05:23 PM
The HKS rennovations strike me as lipstick on a pig. We blew the chance to build the kind of ballpark you could really love. "retro elements" and "home run porches" aren't going to change that.

This is the park we will need to live with for another 20 years.

I do believe that Ferara Pan should buy naming rights. Maybe Lemonhead Stadium. Anybody have a better naming idea?

Jerry_Manuel
07-09-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
This is the park we will need to live with for another 20 years.

I may be wrong here but I believe Reinsdorf signed a 20 year lease. So 20 years from 1991 would be 2011. Should be interesting to see what happens if he still owns the team at that point.

Bucktown
07-09-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I may be wrong here but I believe Reinsdorf signed a 20 year lease. So 20 years from 1991 would be 2011. Should be interesting to see what happens if he still owns the team at that point.
I don't see the Sox getting a new stadium after that. the city/state would probably let them leave before they build a new stadium that is just 20 years old. The last two last 75+ years.

nut_stock
07-10-2002, 12:09 AM
I walked in the main entrance to Comiskey on a Saturday morning about a month ago. Did you guys know they will actually take you on the field (well, warning track) if you go in and ask to take some pictures. Anyways this young woman named Jenny was showing me around and I tried to get the inside scoop on the next set of renovations. The only thing she said was that nothing was finalized yet, but there were several options being discussed, but wouldn't elaborate. But heh, She took my picture on the field and in the Sox dugout.

doublem23
07-10-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
I walked in the main entrance to Comiskey on a Saturday morning about a month ago. Did you guys know they will actually take you on the field (well, warning track) if you go in and ask to take some pictures. Anyways this young woman named Jenny was showing me around and I tried to get the inside scoop on the next set of renovations. The only thing she said was that nothing was finalized yet, but there were several options being discussed, but wouldn't elaborate. But heh, She took my picture on the field and in the Sox dugout.

Really? Damn... The last time I walked into the main entrance, they asked us to leave. That was the game against KC that Garland pitched that snapped that 7-game slide when my friends and I got ejected.

I wonder if that had anything to do with it... :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 12:18 AM
Really? Damn... The last time I walked into the main entrance, they asked us to leave.

HA! Nice job Sox security. I couldn't imagine Doub on the Comiskey grass.

doublem23
07-10-2002, 12:20 AM

HA! Nice job Sox security. I couldn't imagine Doub on the Comiskey grass.

If there's a God, maybe one day....................... :)

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 12:23 AM
If there's a God, maybe one day....................... :)

Streaking? :D:

doublem23
07-10-2002, 12:24 AM

Streaking? :D:

That's #2 on the list :)

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 12:27 AM
That's #2 on the list :)

Remind me to follow the game via radio on that day.

nut_stock
07-10-2002, 12:33 AM
Well she did say that they only take fans out on the field when there isn't a game being played there that day. I also got a pic of the White Sox Clubhouse sign.

Jerry_Manuel
07-10-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by nut_stock
Well she did say that they only take fans out on the field when there isn't a game being played there that day. I also got a pic of the White Sox Clubhouse sign.

Doub wants the attention, he's the kind of guy that would jump on the field.

Foulke You
07-10-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Fisk72

Actually, I think it'll be pretty cool at Comiskey watching all the folks skittering about on the concourse to catch the homerun balls. Also, nobody has ever hit one out of the New Comiskey yet. Batting Practice or otherwise. Thomas reportedly hit the left center field billboard one time during BP.

:nandrolone
"I have some new roids...er...Vitamins that will help me be the 1st one to do it!"