PDA

View Full Version : Mark Grace arrested for DUI

Fenway
06-09-2011, 01:18 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/09/dbacks-announcer-arrested-for-dui

MUsoxfan
06-09-2011, 01:24 PM
That really sucks. But I've heard from many people that Scottsdale is about the absolute last place you want to drive after having a few cocktails

Boondock Saint
06-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Not incredibly surprising.

DSpivack
06-09-2011, 02:32 PM
That really sucks. But I've heard from many people that Scottsdale is about the absolute last place you want to drive after having a few cocktails

I would hope that most locales are bad places to drive after having a few cocktails.

06-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Hopefully this means I don't have to hear him announcing any more.

Moses_Scurry
06-09-2011, 03:13 PM
I would hope that most locales are bad places to drive after having a few cocktails.

I have heard more than once that the Scottsdale police don't mess around when it comes to DUI. Moreso than other places.

Red Barchetta
06-09-2011, 03:40 PM
"He was DUI-impaired to the slightest degree." Probably could say that about many fans after a ballgame and tailgating.

Proof that even a little bit over the .08 limit and it's enough for a DUI. I remember when the story broke about Tony LaRussa and his DUI a few years ago. I was in a restaurant waiting for our table at the bar when one of the patrons (on his 3rd drink that I counted) jokingly mentioned how stupid LaRussa was. :rolleyes:

Jerko
06-09-2011, 04:01 PM
I hope he didn't drive past Konerko's 16,000 square foot home.

kittle42
06-09-2011, 04:05 PM
I have never understood how people with money can't just call a cab - even smaller cities tend to have cab service; you just have to call them.

Soxfest
06-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Gracie loves to drink Cubs Kool-Aid.

happydude
06-09-2011, 05:04 PM
I have never understood how people with money can't just call a cab - even smaller cities tend to have cab service; you just have to call them.

There are several reasons. For one, most people in the midst of drinking don't consider themselves to be affected by alcohol to the extent they cannot safely operate a motor vehicle; many of them are correct, however, DUI statutes generally only require some degree of impairment, not full blown intoxication. You don't have to be "drunk" to get a DUI.

A second, more obvious, reason is that those who HAVE reached an unsafe level of intoxication have also lost the necessary judgment needed to properly assess the situation and make the decision to call a cab. Should they just take a cab in the first place to avoid any problems? Maybe, but regular drinkers have likely driven many times without incident and don't anticipate that the next night out will result in any problems; its a case of gambling and losing.

Sox
06-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Maybe Mark should have had a designated driver? :scratch:

asindc
06-09-2011, 05:19 PM

Well played, sir.

DumpJerry
06-09-2011, 05:29 PM
They should cut him some slack.

He was probably celebrating the first Cub win of June, 2011.

MeteorsSox4367
06-09-2011, 05:33 PM

Thanks for making me laugh out loud at work on a day in which I got my ass kicked a little bit.:D:

kittle42
06-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Should they just take a cab in the first place to avoid any problems?

That, right there, is my point.

Maybe, but regular drinkers have likely driven many times without incident and don't anticipate that the next night out will result in any problems; its a case of gambling and losing.

Driving without incident is lucky in two senses - they didn't get caught and didn't kill someone. The gamble is had the second the person decides to drive somewhere where they will eventually be drinking. Keep the car at home, and get there some other way.

TDog
06-09-2011, 06:26 PM

Arizona got tough on drunken driving in the 1980s with mandatory jail time and license suspensions on first offense. Big fines. And no plea bargaining. If you're a politician, you can't get tough on crime without eliminating plea bargaining. Many jurisdictions were aggressive in prosecuting drivers below the BAC presumption of guilt (eroniously referred to as the legal limit) if drivers were found to be driving eratically under the influence of a smaller amount of alcohol, although such cases were open to plea bargains. By the third offense, you were looking at a mandatory minimum of six months, probably in Joe Arpaio's tent jail if you were convicted in Maricopa County.

I can't imagine that Arizona has eased up in the last dozen years since I left. Maybe they don't set up the DUI roadblocks the way they used to. They don't even have the money to keep their I-10 rest areas open. But with the fines and the surcharges drunk drivers bring in, if you're driving after having been drinking and you see a cop flashing his lights in your rear-view mirror, it must be like seeing dollar-sign marked bags with wing flying away.

g0g0
06-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Non-issue and not newsworthy. He was slightly over. Hard to always keep your personal breathalyzer on hand when at the bar. I'm not saying I want impaired people out there, especially famous people who already feel entitled, but it was suspicion with being impaired to the "slightest degree."

Marqhead
06-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Non-issue and not newsworthy. He was slightly over. Hard to always keep your personal breathalyzer on hand when at the bar. I'm not saying I want impaired people out there, especially famous people who already feel entitled, but it was suspicion with being impaired to the "slightest degree."

He was driving drunk, way to sugar coat it.

TomBradley72
06-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Proof that even a little bit over the .08 limit and it's enough for a DUI. I remember when the story broke about Tony LaRussa and his DUI a few years ago. I was in a restaurant waiting for our table at the bar when one of the patrons (on his 3rd drink that I counted) jokingly mentioned how stupid LaRussa was. :rolleyes:

No problem with having a few drinks- as long as you don't get behind the wheel.

TomBradley72
06-10-2011, 11:53 AM

He's made millions in his life- leave the car and take a taxi.

"Slightest degree" can be the difference between killing someone, getting in an accident, etc.

PatK
06-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Hopefully this means I don't have to hear him announcing any more.

He usually sounds like he's had a few in the booth

soltrain21
06-10-2011, 02:07 PM

I'd rather not see people killed by someone who is drunk. Thanks.

kittle42
06-10-2011, 03:16 PM

Epic fail of a post, as the kids say.

DumpJerry
06-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Proof that even a little bit over the .08 limit and it's enough for a DUI.
A charge, maybe, but it is not necessarily enough to be convicted of DUI.

g0g0
06-10-2011, 04:25 PM
He was driving drunk, way to sugar coat it.

He's made millions in his life- leave the car and take a taxi.

"Slightest degree" can be the difference between killing someone, getting in an accident, etc.

I'd rather not see people killed by someone who is drunk. Thanks.

Epic fail of a post, as the kids say.

I didn't defend him in the least and even said I don't want impaired people out there - it's just not worth making a huge deal about.

soltrain21
06-10-2011, 06:19 PM
I didn't defend him in the least and even said I don't want impaired people out there - it's just not worth making a huge deal about.

Drunk driving is a huge deal and should be made a big deal every time someone, especially a celebrity, does it. That way it will be driven into people that is a huge deal with huge consequences and that, maybe, they shouldn't be ****ing morons and drive drunk.

DSpivack
06-10-2011, 07:01 PM

If you're going to drink, don't drive. It's that simple.

Drunk driving is a huge deal and should be made a big deal every time someone, especially a celebrity, does it. That way it will be driven into people that is a huge deal with huge consequences and that, maybe, they shouldn't be ****ing morons and drive drunk.

Thank you.

A friend of mine, who was my roommate after college, grew up with grandparents, he even referred to them as simply "his parents." Why? Because his parents were killed by a drunk driver when he was little.

I have no problem with being "zero-tolerance" when it comes to drinking and driving.

g0g0
06-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Now this one tells more of the story:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2011-articles/june/mark-graces-dui-arrest-a-weird-mugshot.html

DSpivack
06-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Now this one tells more of the story:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2011-articles/june/mark-graces-dui-arrest-a-weird-mugshot.html

Yes, this story does have more details of Grace's evening. At least, for him, he wasn't drinking something crappy.

That doesn't really change the fact that he's an idiot for driving drunk. Actually, the story makes him more of an idiot, as he didn't even have his wallet on him.