PDA

View Full Version : A's: New Bob Bounce?

hawkjt
06-09-2011, 11:29 AM
A's just fired manager Bob Geren,and replaced him with Bob Melvin.
Arrrghhhh!!! Shades of the Buck Showalter effect on the A's this weekend? Sure hope not. Sox need to extend the A's losing streak to 13,altho that is probably unlikely.

Teams always seem to get a short term boost from a new manager.
The Sox are 3-3 vs the A's so far this year, and traditionally struggle vs the A's anyway,so this smells like trouble to me...wish Billy Beane had waited til next week.

PeteWard
06-09-2011, 11:38 AM
"Teams always seem to get a short term boost from a new manager."

Is that really true or do we just notice it when it happens and fail even to think of it when it does not--i.e confirmation bias?

However, like you, I am afraid that the odds a sweep of four games on a team to male it lose its thirteenth straight are not good

doublem23
06-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Unless he can go out there and give them a spot start, I'm not terribly worried.

TDog
06-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Surprising if only because Bob Geren was the best man at Billy Beane's wedding. It wasn't so much the losing streak as the losing streak combined with something of a player revolt that has been brewing for awhile. Even Huston Street, who has left the A's behind him said recently that Geren was his least favorite person he had ever encountered in sports, since he was 6.

Teams sometimes get a short-term boost when they replace a manager. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes teams play better under a new managers. Younger players might get chances to perform that they previously did not. Veterans can see it as a fresh start and try to impress immediately in an effort to get more playing time.

Melvin can't really know his players. He may rely heavily on his coaches, who may or may not have ideas different from Geren's about how players should be used. Melvin may have a totally different idea about how pitchers should be worked, but he may rely on his bullpen.

I would rather a team not come into Chicago with a losing streak because in baseball even the bottom teams best the top teams once in awhile. Teams with losing streaks are going to win sometime, and teams with winning streaks are going to lose sometime. Changing managers just adds to the unknown. The team you thought you knew might be different.

At least Comcast in Northern California will stop running those awful commercials with Bob Geren.

CLUBHOUSE KID
06-09-2011, 12:57 PM
The O's did this and didn't KC do it too last season for a bit?

kittle42
06-09-2011, 01:02 PM
"Teams always seem to get a short term boost from a new manager."

Is that really true or do we just notice it when it happens and fail even to think of it when it does not--i.e confirmation bias?

YES! Thank you. Concepts like this are routinely lost on people. Glad someone pointed it out.

Lip Man 1
06-09-2011, 01:07 PM
I was concerned about this series for a few reasons even before the manager change.

1. The Sox have played at best mediocre at home this year.

2. Oakland has lost nine in a row...even the worst MLB team is going to win some games. The odds of the A's getting swept are a lot lower now because the law of averages says they simply have to win sooner or later. I wish they had won a game or two earlier in the week.

3. The Sox usually have issues with the A's even in the best of times.

The A's I assume are going to want to make a good impression on Melvin so I expect them to bust their rear end's this weekend.

Lip

DirtySox
06-09-2011, 01:09 PM
I was concerned about this series for a few reasons even before the manager change.

1. The Sox have played at best mediocre at home this year.

2. Oakland has lost nine in a row...even the worst MLB team is going to win some games. The odds of the A's getting swept are a lot lower now because the law of averages says they simply have to win sooner or later. I wish they had won a game or two earlier in the week.

3. The Sox usually have issues with the A's even in the best of times.

The A's I assume are going to want to make a good impression on Melvin so I expect them to bust their rear end's this weekend.

Lip

And the Sox get to face Cahill and Gio. They did beat Pineda and Felix though, so anything can happen.

The Immigrant
06-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Great googly moogly there are some pants-pissers in this thread.

kittle42
06-09-2011, 01:31 PM

You're right - why worry about the Sox not sweeping the A's because the A's could get a bounce from their new manager when we should really worry about the Sox not sweeping the A's because the Sox kinda stink?

DSpivack
06-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Meet the new Bob, same as the old Bob?

Marqhead
06-09-2011, 02:17 PM
http://content.internetvideoarchive.com/content/photos/1446/233075_522.jpg

DumpJerry
06-09-2011, 02:26 PM
You new the guy here?
:welcome:

JoeyCora28
06-09-2011, 03:49 PM

Hey, welcome! I loved your work on Sanford and Son! :smile:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=7085&stc=1&d=1307652502

TDog
06-09-2011, 03:59 PM
And the Sox get to face Cahill and Gio. They did beat Pineda and Felix though, so anything can happen.

The Sox were the first team this year to beat Cahill, getting 10 hits against him in seven innings in Oakland in May. Mark Ellis played a great defensive game robbing the Sox of at least three hits, and there was an unbelievably play by the A's at the right field wall. It could have been worse. The Sox should have been the first team to beat Cahill in April. The Sox knocked him out in the fifth inning, but the A's came back. That game was won by an Alexei Ramirez home run in the 10th against a reliever who is back in the majors this week after being sent to the minors earlier this season.

Also, Gio Gonzalez is 0-3 with a 6.45 ERA in four career starts against the White Sox. He pitched better against the Sox last year (hasn't faced them this year), but the Sox knocked him around when he wasn't a very good pitcher the two prior seasons.

Friday night, to take the place of Brett Anderson, Graham Godfrey, who was 7-1 at Sacramento in the PCL, will make his major league debut. The A's picked him up from the Blue Jays for Marco Scutaro. I believe the announcement was made before Geren was fired.

Guillermo Moscoso, who started in a 4-0 loss to the Orioles Tuesday, giving up 2 earned runs in 5 innings after pitching twice in relief against the Red Sox over the weekend, is scheduled to start Sunday against Humber, who beat the A's in Oakland in May.

kjhanson
06-09-2011, 05:02 PM
This was my first thought as well. The Orioles really hurt us at some key times last year.

SoxSpeed22
06-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Everyone on the A's except Billy Beane hated the hell out of Geren. Then again, he felt like he could put a trained monkey as a manager and still have a good team. The players quit on Geren a long time ago, he was also a pretty crappy manager.

kittle42
06-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Everyone on the A's except Billy Beane hated the hell out of Guerin. Then again, he felt like he could put a trained monkey as a manager and still have a good team. The players quit on Guerin a long time ago, he was also a pretty crappy manager.

Bill Guerin was a fine right winger.

JB98
06-09-2011, 06:40 PM
You're right - why worry about the Sox not sweeping the A's because the A's could get a bounce from their new manager when we should really worry about the Sox not sweeping the A's because the Sox kinda stink?

Yeah, I assume the Sox will drop at least two games in this series because they stink. It makes no difference who is calling the shots in the Oakland dugout. The Sox have spent most of their time beating themselves this year anyway.

miker
06-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Bill Guerin was a fine right winger.

Glad you cleared that up. I thought we were talking about the WLS-AM program director from many years ago...

Lip Man 1
06-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Great, in addition to everything else Oakland is starting two 'no name' pitchers the Sox have never seen before.

Hope the advanced scouting is up to snuff!

Lip

TDog
06-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Great, in addition to everything else Oakland is starting two 'no name' pitchers the Sox have never seen before.

Lip

Are you suggesting the scouts should have been scouting the Sacramento River Cats in recent weeks?

doublem23
06-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Are you suggesting the scouts should have been scouting the Sacramento River Cats in recent weeks?

Well, the A's do have 4 pitchers on the DL now, so it's not like it would have been a shock that a guy from AAA would be starting this weekend.

voodoochile
06-09-2011, 09:46 PM

Lip

:rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
06-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Voodoo:

Not sure what you mean with the rolleyes. Unless Dunn was outright lying in his comments about the Toronto pitcher (and I said on the board that Mark Gonzales e-mailed me back and said he also heard things along the same lines when the Sox were in Texas) there may be some truth to the charge.

If so, again I said IF, than it's possible the Sox may not have as much information as they need on these minor league guys.

Lip

voodoochile
06-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Voodoo:

Not sure what you mean with the rolleyes. Unless Dunn was outright lying in his comments about the Toronto pitcher (and I said on the board that Mark Gonzales e-mailed me back and said he also heard things along the same lines when the Sox were in Texas) there may be some truth to the charge.

If so, again I said IF, than it's possible the Sox may not have as much information as they need on these minor league guys.

Lip

It wasn't just you, Lip. It was more of a general eyeroll at the tone of the whole thread, but I did find your post particularly eyeroll worthy for the general sense of hopelessness and despair that wafted off my screen when I read it...

Lip Man 1
06-09-2011, 10:47 PM
I call em' like I see em' Voodoo. We've seen the Sox roll over and die numerous times since 2004, to unknown, no-name, mediocre, garbage pitchers (choose the wording that you feel fits best...)

Some say it's Walker-ball at it's finest, I don't know enough about the situation to make that claim although others seem to feel there is a connection.

If not than perhaps Dunn's charges have some validity then. Seriously as I wrote when I started that thread, if true that's a serious charge against the organization. I'm hoping Gonzo or somebody in the mainstream media will follow up and pin this charge down one way or the other.

Lip

LongLiveFisk
06-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Teams always seem to get a short term boost from a new manager.

Very short term usually.

(Cough)Quade(Cough)!

TDog
06-10-2011, 02:24 AM
During the A's telecast, they showed on the scoreboard that Bob Melvin finished his playing career with the White Sox in a game just before the 1994 strike. I went to that game in Anaheim, and I totally forgot that Melvin was picked up by the Sox before the trade deadline.

It was a great game. I looked it up and was surprised to see Melvin hitting eighth in the order in front of Guillen. His active career ended with Joey Cora pinch-hitting for him. After the Angels tied the game at 10 in the ninth, Cora drove in the first run in a six-run 10th. Guillen followed with a triple, and they didn't stop. The next day Guillen led off a five-run 12th with a triple, but Melvin didn't get into the game.

Melvin's White Sox uniform career ended on the bench the following Wednesday, watching the White Sox beat the A's in Oakland.

daveeym
06-10-2011, 07:38 AM
It wasn't just you, Lip. It was more of a general eyeroll at the tone of the whole thread, but I did find your post particularly eyeroll worthy for the general sense of hopelessness and despair that wafted off my screen when I read it...

Haha. I completely got the same vibe from lips post. Something about it seemed forced and borderline trollish. Even though I'm in agreement with lip and his follow up post it really did just jump off the screen oddly

JB98
06-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I assume the Sox will drop at least two games in this series because they stink. It makes no difference who is calling the shots in the Oakland dugout. The Sox have spent most of their time beating themselves this year anyway.

Sigh....it's so predictable...:(: