PDA

View Full Version : Cusacks "All In" With Konerko

Hitmen77
06-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Siblings John and Joan were guests of Paul Konerko at the Cell last Friday.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0605-around-town--20110604,0,6743174.column?obref=obinsite

John thinks the Sox can go on a run if Dunn and Rios can get things going. I wonder if he posts here? :tongue:

Folks may remember that John Cusack was famously turned down for playoff tickets from JR.

spawn
06-08-2011, 06:31 PM
He's also famously a Cubs fan.

JermaineDye05
06-08-2011, 06:38 PM
He's also famously a Cubs fan.

He's a fan of both.

Unless that's what you meant.

DSpivack
06-08-2011, 06:43 PM
He's a fan of both.

Pick one team, John, you're embarrassing Evanston. :tongue:

SephClone89
06-08-2011, 06:48 PM
John Cusack is the man.

Lip Man 1
06-08-2011, 06:57 PM
JD:

Actually he isn't. He's a Cub fan, first, last, always.

I've had folks in the front office tell me when he was around in 2005 he was a grade-A, #1 *******, demanding certan things when he came to the games.

That's part of the reason JR turned him down for World Series tickets (although he did get them from another source...)

The folks I spoke with in the front office said they wouldn't care if he ever showed up again.

Lip

sullythered
06-08-2011, 07:13 PM
I have heard Joan is just a great lady, and super friendly. Also, she's AWESOME on "Shameless."

Sox
06-08-2011, 07:46 PM
JD:

I've had folks in the front office tell me when he was around in 2005 he was a grade-A, #1 *******, demanding certan things when he came to the games.

That's part of the reason JR turned him down for World Series tickets (although he did get them from another source...)

The folks I spoke with in the front office said they wouldn't care if he ever showed up again.

Lip

That's very understandable then as to why John never got any series tickets from JR at least. Which begs the question if Johnny is such a huge Flubs fan, why would he want tickets to a Sox World series game? And why does he have to be such a Puck Bag to begin with? :mad:

Noneck
06-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Johnny is such a huge Flubs fan, why would he want tickets to a Sox World series game?

Its all about being seen by these kind of guys. Look at Belushi.

Daver
06-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Look at Belushi.

He's dead, been that way for years.

Noneck
06-08-2011, 08:18 PM
He's dead, been that way for years.

Yea, I was going say Belushi's brother and should have.

Sox
06-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Its all about being seen by these kind of guys. Look at Belushi.

True. Very True.:thumbsup:

vinny
06-08-2011, 09:40 PM
I have heard Joan is just a great lady, and super friendly. Also, she's AWESOME on "Shameless."
And on "Peep and the Big Wide World."

RadioheadRocks
06-08-2011, 10:35 PM
JD:

Lip

This.

sunofgold
06-08-2011, 11:00 PM
I like some of their (cusacks) movies, Joan's US Cellular ads. I tend to think of John as a Cubs fan. And I tend to think of Joan as not being a baseball/sports fan.

As far as I know, the White Sox don't have many true celebrity fans. You can count former mayor Daley and prez Obama.

Cubs have Bill Murray, Eddie Vedder, John Cusack, Vince Vaughn, Gary Sinese, Jim Belushi, Billy Corgan, Jeremy Piven, William Petersen, Joe Mantegna, Ferris Bueller (lol), Steve Bartman (my fav), Rod Blagojevich. They also had John Dillinger.

The question is how is Konerko connected to them(Cusacks)? Konerko making an appearance in a US Cellular commercial?

SBSoxFan
06-08-2011, 11:27 PM
I like some of their (cusacks) movies, Joan's US Cellular ads. I tend to think of John as a Cubs fan. And I tend to think of Joan as not being a baseball/sports fan.

As far as I know, the White Sox don't have many true celebrity fans. You can count former mayor Daley and prez Obama.

Cubs have Bill Murray, Eddie Vedder, John Cusack, Vince Vaughn, Gary Sinese, Jim Belushi, Billy Corgan, Jeremy Piven, William Petersen, Joe Mantegna, Ferris Bueller (lol), Steve Bartman (my fav), Rod Blagojevich. They also had John Dillinger.

The question is how is Konerko connected to them(Cusacks)? Konerko making an appearance in a US Cellular commercial?

The Sox have Michael Clarke Duncan. He counts as at least 3. :tongue:

samurai_sox
06-09-2011, 12:11 AM
Isn't George Lopez a Sox fan? I remember reading that he became one when Ron Kittle was nice to him and signed a bunch of autographs for him and his friends when they went to a Sox/Angels game out in Anaheim back in the 80's.

He even wore a Buehrle World Series jersey that supposedly Mark gave him back in '05 on his tv show.

GoGoCrede
06-09-2011, 12:24 AM
That's very understandable then as to why John never got any series tickets from JR at least. Which begs the question if Johnny is such a huge Flubs fan, why would he want tickets to a Sox World series game? And why does he have to be such a Puck Bag to begin with? :mad:

It's the World Series. Plenty of out-of-towners and suits want tickets just because of that.

He's a fan of both.

I don't think so. All you'd have to do is ask him who he'd root for in a Cubs-Sox World Series. I'd bet my life he'd choose the Cubs.

RadioheadRocks
06-09-2011, 12:37 AM

In other words, the Cubs have a "who's who of who cares?????"

sullythered
06-09-2011, 01:10 AM
Pablo ****ing Picasso was a Sox fan. We win.

Nellie_Fox
06-09-2011, 01:16 AM

The Sox have Michael Clarke Duncan. He counts as at least 3. :tongue:
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/images/373630/Michael-Clark-Duncan.jpg "I crap bigger than Eddie Vedder."

TDog
06-09-2011, 01:24 AM
... Cubs ... also had John Dillinger. ...

The White Sox had Al Capone.

cards press box
06-09-2011, 01:40 AM

Well, the Sox have Dennis DeYoung (founding member of Styx), Richard Roeper, George Wendt, Donn Pall (the Pope!) and Mandy Patinkin who grew up on the South Side and who is a huge Sox fan. For anyone who has seen The Princess Bride, it is only fitting that Inigo Montoya is a die-hard Sox fan!

asindc
06-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Well, the Sox have Dennis DeYoung (founding member of Styx), Richard Roeper, George Wendt, Donn Pall (the Pope!) and Mandy Patinkin who grew up on the South Side and who is a huge Sox fan. For anyone who has seen The Princess Bride, it is only fitting that Inigo Montoya is a die-hard Sox fan!

Johnathan Cain of Journey, Kanye West, Muddy Waters.

DumpJerry
06-09-2011, 08:31 AM
John Cusack is the man.

This has never been true.

Yea, I was going say Belushi's brother and should have.
John Belushi has a brother?

cards press box
06-09-2011, 09:24 AM

Muddy Waters, that's absolutely right. In fact, in the film Cadillac Records, there is a scene where Muddy (Jeffrey Wright) is watching a Sox game on tv.

Jerko
06-09-2011, 09:39 AM
I thought this said "Casucks" with all the hatred they have garnered. And the Cell IS called "the Joan"

SephClone89
06-09-2011, 10:53 AM

Don't forget Derrick Rose.

This has never been true.

I've got two words for you, just two. Are you listening?

High Fidelity.

Hitmen77
06-09-2011, 10:54 AM

Maybe the Cusack family has a vacation home in Scottsdale right down the street from Konerko's 16,000 sq ft mansion.

PatK
06-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Damn, looks like the Cubs are going to beat the Sox once again for the "Celebrity Fans" trophy.

CLUBHOUSE KID
06-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Joan used to do the US Cell ads is this why they get hooked up or is just because they are the Cusacks? lol

hi im skot
06-09-2011, 12:41 PM

High Fidelity.

Love the movie, but the book is even better.

Shoeless_Jeff
06-09-2011, 01:02 PM
I don't care about celebrity sports allegiances. Its fun to talk about sometimes, but it doesn't matter. I like John Cusack as an actor, especially in "Grosse Point Blank" and, of course, in "Eight Men Out."

asindc
06-09-2011, 01:14 PM
I don't care about celebrity sports allegiances. Its fun to talk about sometimes, but it doesn't matter. I like John Cusack as an actor, especially in "Grosse Point Blank" and, of course, in "Eight Men Out."

Yep.

sunofgold
06-09-2011, 01:49 PM
He seems perfect to be a Cubs fan. He can express frustration and mental torment with the best of them.

Zisk77
06-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Don't forget the Late Bernie Mac

Lip Man 1
06-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Who said he was a Cub fan on a WGN broadcast than backtracked so who the hell knows with him?

Lip

illinibk
06-09-2011, 02:14 PM

And most importantly, Hot Tub Time Machine.

SOXPHILE
06-09-2011, 02:17 PM
JD:

Lip

100% correct. His "fandom" aside, I've heard quite a few stories about Cusack, and even if only 10% of it is true, what an absolute piece of **** the guy is. I've also seen a few interviews with him, his social commentary, and how wonderful and awesome he thinks he is, and I really cannot stand him. The fact that he acts like a douchebag and flip flops back and forth in his fandom is only one other thing about him that make me want to punch him in the mouth.

GoGoCrede
06-09-2011, 02:19 PM
I liked him in Say Anything, but I can't be a real fan of his because his voice drives me absolutely crazy.

I agree with previous posters that he's really a Cubs fan who comes to Sox games when he's bored or it's convenient.

Steelrod
06-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Because he's a front runner, as well as being a mooch.

Steelrod
06-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Dennis DeYoung is no longer a Sox fan since the lockout/strike of 1994, for which he blames JR.
I blame DD for the breakup of STYX.

sunofgold
06-09-2011, 03:35 PM
We have Steve Dahl, the guy who blew up stuff at Old Comiskey.

Warner Saunders..I remember him giving Cubs fan Anna Farris a hard time.

Lawrence Holmes & The Ranger? Are they still 'all-in'?

and believe it or not...Jenny Mccarthy! Born in Evergreen Park.

DumpJerry
06-09-2011, 03:37 PM

High Fidelity.
Dude. John Cusack will never be "the man." Brando, Heston, Eastwood, those guys get the title. Not a baby face John.

sunofgold
06-09-2011, 03:47 PM
JC man! He did get with Angelina in Pushing Tin. And holding up that boom box in Say Anything while playing an kickboxer going for the valedictorian. Pretty impressive.

sullythered
06-09-2011, 04:03 PM

If you're going Score personalities, gotta mention Mully and Bernsie.

kittle42
06-09-2011, 04:04 PM
I hate this tag, too, but it's pretty appropriate at this point:

:threadsucks

Frontman
06-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Don't forget Pat Quinn. He's a Sox fan as well.

And I always thought of Bernie Mac as just being a proud Chicagoan. I don't think there was a team he didn't support from Chicago.

Dennis DeYoung has warmed back up to the White Sox in recent years (prior to 2005.) I remember around that time him lamenting that he turned his back on the team.

As far as Styx's breakup? A whole other thread should be dedicated to that mess. Suffice it to say, ALL THREE of them (Dennis, JY, and Tommy) had a hand in that band's destruction. They never were the same once Tommy left, and never have achieved anything worthwhile when the 3 of them aren't united.

eriqjaffe
06-09-2011, 04:28 PM
We can kinda sorta count Steve Albini, although he's pretty lukewarm about it.

http://www.avclub.com/milwaukee/articles/interview-steve-albini,29479/

RadioheadRocks
06-09-2011, 04:47 PM
John Belushi has a brother?

Yep, you can find him in the dictionary. His picture is alongside the definition of "coat-tail riding goofball" :D:

DumpJerry
06-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Yep, you can find him in the dictionary. His picture is alongside the definition of "coat-tail riding goofball" :D:
Yeah, looked him up. Never heard of the guy. Must not be very good.......

(when I was in high school in the 70's, I saw him at Second City. The only cool thing about seeing him was, well, he was John Belushi's brother. After we saw him that night, we figured he would not get far in comedy)

Zisk77
06-09-2011, 05:24 PM

Actually, I believe the Ranger is a Cardinal fan that adopted the sox as his AL team. Not sure he really counts.

RadioheadRocks
06-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Don't forget the Late Bernie Mac

IIRC he sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the 7th inning stench at the infamous "Bartman" game... he also caught a lot of **** for that here in that legendary game thread before all hell broke loose in that 8th inning (supposedly he back-pedaled and sang "root, root, root for the Champions").

kittle42
06-09-2011, 05:42 PM
It is my understanding that Chris Lowenstein is a White Sox fan, but I'm not sure since I believe he is a big John Cusack fan.

gobears1987
06-09-2011, 06:04 PM
The Cusacks are C list celebrities. Who gives a crap about them?

kittle42
06-09-2011, 06:12 PM
The Cusacks are C list celebrities. Who gives a crap about them?

I don't. That being said, they're still higher up the celebrity food chain than most of the other people mentioned in this thread.

Brian26
06-09-2011, 08:16 PM
I don't. That being said, they're still higher up the celebrity food chain than most of the other people mentioned in this thread.

Correct. The Cusacks might be C-list. I'd put Dahl and Warner Saunders E-list.

Brian26
06-09-2011, 08:16 PM

Anna or Paula?

sunofgold
06-09-2011, 09:24 PM
I meant Paula Farris. Considering the number of popular movies that the Cusacks have been in, they are actually A list. Aren't they? haha!

sullythered
06-09-2011, 10:07 PM
I meant Paula Farris. Considering the number of popular movies that the Cusacks have been in, they are actually A list. Aren't they? haha!

John Cusack is one of the most successful long standing movie stars of his era. Douche or not, he is absolutely A list.

GoGoCrede
06-09-2011, 10:25 PM
John Cusack is one of the most successful long standing movie stars of his era. Douche or not, he is absolutely A list.

I'd think he is currently B-List, with A-List name recognition. A-List are people like Brad Pitt, Sean Penn, etc. whose projects are high-profile and who are always invited to red carpet events. Now, if he starred in a big-name movie this year or was nominated for an Oscar, then he would go back on the A-List for a while (why I know or care about any of this I blame on my love for celeb gossip).

DSpivack
06-09-2011, 10:30 PM
I'd think he is currently B-List, with A-List name recognition. A-List are people like Brad Pitt, Sean Penn, etc. whose projects are high-profile and who are always invited to red carpet events. Now, if he starred in a big-name movie this year or was nominated for an Oscar, then he would go back on the A-List for a while (why I know or care about any of this I blame on my love for celeb gossip).

I agree with this. He was A-list in the late 80s, maybe, but is certainly not now. And this is coming from a proud fellow alum of Piven theater workshop. :tongue:

GoGoCrede
06-09-2011, 10:32 PM
I agree with this. He was A-list in the late 80s, maybe, but is certainly not now. And this is coming from a proud fellow alum of Piven theater workshop. :tongue:

Yeah, I just checked out his IMDB projects to see if I was missing anything major that he'd done in the past year. As much as I liked Hot Tub Time Machine, I think my original assertion is correct.

sullythered
06-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I just checked out his IMDB projects to see if I was missing anything major that he'd done in the past year. As much as I liked Hot Tub Time Machine, I think my original assertion is correct.

I think what I consider "A list" is just a little different than your definition, that's all. Everybody knows John Cusack. He has been in very successful movies for 25 years. He still has big time name recognition, and he certainly isn't washed up. That's enough for me. Guys like Brad Pitt are otherworldly, as far as stardom goes. I don't think you need to be that big to make the list (this stupid arbitrary ranking system we're talking about, btw :smile:).

The guy is still a "movie star."

sunofgold
06-09-2011, 11:42 PM
even some of their small roles have been in good movies. I like most of these movies.

Class
My Bodyguard
Sixteen Candles
Stand by Me
Broadcast News
Eight Men Out
Married To the Mob
Working Girl
Say Anything
The Grifters
Grosse Point Blank
In &Out
Runaway Bride
Con Air
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
Pushing Tin
Being John Malkovich
High Fidelity
Serendipity
The School of Rock
Raising Helen
My Sister's Keeper
Toy Story 3
Hot Tub Time Machine

doublem23
06-10-2011, 12:04 AM
There was a Cusack in Stand By Me?

EDIT - ****, I forgot he was the older brother.

tstrike2000
06-10-2011, 12:12 AM
even some of their small roles have been in good movies. I like most of these movies.

Class
My Bodyguard
Sixteen Candles
Stand by Me
Broadcast News
Eight Men Out
Married To the Mob
Working Girl
Say Anything
The Grifters
Grosse Point Blank
In &Out
Runaway Bride
Con Air
Pushing Tin
Being John Malkovich
High Fidelity
Serendipity
The School of Rock
Raising Helen
My Sister's Keeper
Toy Story 3
Hot Tub Time Machine

Don't forget 'The Sure Thing' and 'Better Off Dead' Good 80's flicks.

sunofgold
06-10-2011, 12:15 AM
That was a good movie. 25th anniversary. Yeah, he played the older brother . The All-American type.

Oh yeah the Sure Thing...
Nicollette Sheridan

Zisk77
06-10-2011, 12:31 AM
IIRC he sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the 7th inning stench at the infamous "Bartman" game... he also caught a lot of **** for that here in that legendary game thread before all hell broke loose in that 8th inning (supposedly he back-pedaled and sang "root, root, root for the Champions").

yeah he said he did that because he was invited to do it nd free tickets to a playoff game. But He also stated he grew a sox fan.

asindc
06-10-2011, 08:58 AM

Class
My Bodyguard
Sixteen Candles
Stand by Me
Broadcast News
Eight Men Out
Married To the Mob
Working Girl
Say Anything
The Grifters
Grosse Point Blank
In &Out
Runaway Bride
Con Air
Pushing Tin
Being John Malkovich
High Fidelity
Serendipity
The School of Rock
Raising Helen
My Sister's Keeper
Toy Story 3
Hot Tub Time Machine

The Grifters is a very good, underrated movie.

aryzner
06-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Cubs fan, Sox fan, I don't care

I love High Fidelity and it's one of my all time favorite movies

Moses_Scurry
06-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Better Off Dead and One Crazy Summer FTW!!

"I want my two dollars!!!!"

miker
06-10-2011, 09:51 AM
I like my actors when they're acting. Off the stage and screen they tend to find ways to annoy me. John meets that description.

Joan annoyed me until "School of Rock." A one-dimensional character, but she made it work.

Yeah, my movie tastes won't get me with the "in" crowd.

doublem23
06-10-2011, 09:55 AM
I like my actors when they're acting. Off the stage and screen they tend to find ways to annoy me. John meets that description.

Joan annoyed me until "School of Rock." A one-dimensional character, but she made it work.

Yeah, my movie tastes won't get me with the "in" crowd.

FWIW, I don't think anyone in the "in" crowd liked School of Rock.

SephClone89
06-10-2011, 11:35 AM

Bingo.

Gavin
06-10-2011, 12:49 PM
FWIW, I don't think anyone in the "in" crowd liked School of Rock.

Yeah, what a ****ty movie.
--Stan

Marqhead
06-10-2011, 12:55 PM

Bingo.

I'm still trying to figure out why listening to John Cusack whine for 2 hours is considered a good movie. Too each his own I guess. :cool: