PDA

View Full Version : White Sox bench Adam Dunn

oldcomiskey
06-07-2011, 11:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=6634677

basically what is says is until he gets his head out of his butt

WhiteSox5187
06-08-2011, 01:47 AM
I like this move, not just because Dunn is pretty much lost at the plate, but I do think that is mainly mental at this point. Hopefully a few days off will let him get out of his head and he can come back and start to produce.

ZombieRob
06-08-2011, 01:52 AM
Billyvsox will approve of this. :tongue: Good idea, he needs to clear his head and relax. Seems like they are babying him, bit I think this is the right call for him and the team right now. Have to give Ozzie credit, this for this. Takes a lot of nerve to bench a 14 mil player.

103 screwball
06-08-2011, 07:38 AM
This can't hurt at this point. Ozzie has already tried to let him fight out of the slump for a long time. I don't like some of the strategy decisions Ozzie makes during the game and hate that he admittedly does not use stats very much, but Ozzie is good at handling veteran players and they seem to like playing for him. It was also a good move to give Rios a vacation. Nobody has been happy with his slump, but I was very irritated when it looked to me like he was lollygagging in CF and not putting full effort to dive after balls he had a shot at. It looked bad, especially contrasted with Lillibridge's efforts. Sometimes I can't help to rip Ozzie's decision to pitch to Cabrera or pinch hit Dunn against a lefty with a man on 3rd and less than too outs. Frankly I think Ozzie deserves that criticism and he should look at the mirror and realize that he too can improve and become an even better manager. I'll give him credit for trying to get Dunn, Rios, Thornton back on track.

BringHomeDaBacon
06-08-2011, 08:15 AM
This is the perfect time to bench him. The next 3-4 pitchers are tough (including two lefties) and on SEA and OAK which are teams they will not see again this year anyway. (So the need for Dunn to get a feel for these pitchers does not apply for this year.) Additionally, he will get a break from the boo birds. Nice Move.

Chez
06-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Good move -- but I expect Dunn will be back in the line-up Thursday against Cahill.

billcissell
06-08-2011, 09:55 AM
This move makes sense. So does sitting Rios and using him as a late inning defensive replacement and moving Lillibeast from center to right to replace Quentin.

Maybe we can work Dunn and Rios back into the regular lineup gradually over the next few weeks so that they both can regain some confidence at the plate. We're going to need both of them down the stretch.

Any chance the Sox can get some kind of a rebate from these two guys? <G>

kjhanson
06-08-2011, 10:27 AM
There have been a lot of players on other clubs whose contracts made them "too expensive" to bench. It's nice to see that the Sox realize what gives them the best chance to win despite leaving $86k on the bench each night.

palehozenychicty
06-08-2011, 10:34 AM
It had to be done. These guys were not bringing it right now. It's June 8th, with still a lot of time, but not too much.

GoSox2K3
06-08-2011, 10:36 AM
The Sox now have $24M in 2011 salary that have been benched.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-dunn-getting-rios-treatment-with-a-few-days-of-rest-20110607,0,6930455.story

Mod Edit: I moved your post here because there was an ongoing discussion.

Irishsox1
06-08-2011, 10:43 AM
At this point in the season you can't start Rios and Dunn on the same days.

Personally, due to his average defense I'm for Rios sitting and starting Lillybridge in center. I know Rios is considered a good center fielder but I think he's average, not horrible just average. Lillybridge is hitting the ball so that alone puts him ahead of Rios.

Dunn needs a mental break but due to his defense I'm more inclined to stick with Dunn keeping Paulie as DH while Dunn figures it out. Also, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because of his apendix and because he's done it before.

Basically I've totally given up on Rios. He can't hit, he can't steal bases and he isn't that good out in the field. If he stays being a late inning replacement and occasional starter that's fine by me.

hi im skot
06-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Personally, due to his average defense I'm for Rios sitting and starting Lillybridge in center. I know Rios is considered a good center fielder but I think he's average, not horrible just average. Lillybridge is hitting the ball so that alone puts him ahead of Rios.

Alex Rios is far from an "average" center fielder.

asindc
06-08-2011, 10:56 AM

Dunn needs a mental break but due to his defense I'm more inclined to stick with Dunn keeping Paulie as DH while Dunn figures it out. Also, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because of his apendix and because he's done it before.

Basically I've totally given up on Rios. He can't hit, he can't steal bases and he isn't that good out in the field. If he stays being a late inning replacement and occasional starter that's fine by me.

So you would rather have Dunn playing defense than Rios?:o:

Chez
06-08-2011, 10:57 AM

I think you've got it backwards. Dunn is a horrible defensive player. Rios is quite good defensively. With Seattle starting a lefty tonight, I expect Rios to start in CF, Lillibridge in RF and Quentin at DH. Dunn will likely DH on Thursday against a RHP.

Irishsox1
06-08-2011, 11:07 AM

I agree and disagree. He's got excellent speed and a great arm. His ability to get good jumps and proper angles are inconsistent and the area is which he really struggles is ability to command and dictate the center field position specifically knowing when to call or call off others. When I weight the good and the bad, on the whole I think he's average to slightly above average outfielder. You throw in his .199 average, his defense alone isn't enough ride out another prolonged slump out which is why he isn't starting anymore.

Irishsox1
06-08-2011, 11:26 AM
I think you've got it backwards. Dunn is a horrible defensive player. Rios is quite good defensively. With Seattle starting a lefty tonight, I expect Rios to start in CF, Lillibridge in RF and Quentin at DH. Dunn will likely DH on Thursday against a RHP.

The point was Dunn and Rios are in horrible slumps but who should play right now as a way to get out of a slump. They have Lillibridge in center who is a more than capable defensive backup who can actually hit but the back up at first isn't as secure. Paulie just had a minor wrist procedure so we don't want him in the field. Tehan has a better glove than Dunn but he's hitting .211. So, unless its a lefty start Dunn at 1st base and continue to use Rios as a late inning replacement.

kaufsox
06-08-2011, 12:31 PM
I was wondering if they would sit him two nights in a row with lefty coming up, seems to be a yes.

miker
06-08-2011, 12:31 PM
The Sox now have $24M in 2011 salary that have been benched.

So much for the "money buys championships" theory...

BringHomeDaBacon
06-08-2011, 12:46 PM

The reason you think that is because of the crap that the Sox were trotting out their prior to Rios' arrival. On most teams, Rios would be playing RF. Mediocre CF, elite RF.

hawkjt
06-08-2011, 12:51 PM
The point was Dunn and Rios are in horrible slumps but who should play right now as a way to get out of a slump. They have Lillibridge in center who is a more than capable defensive backup who can actually hit but the back up at first isn't as secure. Paulie just had a minor wrist procedure so we don't want him in the field. Tehan has a better glove than Dunn but he's hitting .211. So, unless its a lefty start Dunn at 1st base and continue to use Rios as a late inning replacement.

Lilly is 3 of 16 on this homestand. I love the boost the guy has given the Sox at the plate and in the field,but as many have pointed out,there is a reason he is not a fulltime starter in this league. Lets see how he does vs the lefty tonite(Vargas) and if he struggles, it might be a perfect time to give him a game or two off vs the A's,who have tough pitching.

Lets hope that the days off have helped Rios find his swing,so that he can start these games vs the A's. Ride the hot ponies...til they cool, and I sense that Lilly is cooling.

BringHomeDaBacon
06-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Lilly is 3 of 16 on this homestand. I love the boost the guy has given the Sox at the plate and in the field,but as many have pointed out,there is a reason he is not a fulltime starter in this league. Lets see how he does vs the lefty tonite(Vargas) and if he struggles, it might be a perfect time to give him a game or two off vs the A's,who have tough pitching.

Lets hope that the days off have helped Rios find his swing,so that he can start these games vs the A's. Ride the hot ponies...til they cool, and I sense that Lilly is cooling.

So unless a player is a full-time starter by age 26 (he's now 27) he clearly does not have or never will have the talent to achieve such status? Lillibridge may not have the talent but that line of thinking is the last reason to make that determination. Subscribing to such a policy would be foolish for any major league team IMO.

hi im skot
06-08-2011, 01:46 PM
The reason you think that is because of the crap that the Sox were trotting out their prior to Rios' arrival. On most teams, Rios would be playing RF. Mediocre CF, elite RF.

The reason I think that is because I've watched him play center field.

hawkjt
06-08-2011, 02:40 PM
So unless a player is a full-time starter by age 26 (he's now 27) he clearly does not have or never will have the talent to achieve such status? Lillibridge may not have the talent but that line of thinking is the last reason to make that determination. Subscribing to such a policy would be foolish for any major league team IMO.

Just quoting Steve Stone,who said that if Lilly played fulltime over several months,it would become apparent why he has not been a fulltime starter in the big leagues. That was before his recent surge,tho,so maybe he has changed his mind. Myself,I love the kid,and have said repeatedly that Oz needs to stick with him til he cools off. If he never cools off, start him the rest of the year. But 3 of 16 is sounding like a cool-off of sorts....lets hope he pounds out a few hits tonite,as he is in right field,and we continue to ride that little pony!

TheOldRoman
06-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Just quoting Steve Stone,who said that if Lilly played fulltime over several months,it would become apparent why he has not been a fulltime starter in the big leagues. That was before his recent surge,tho,so maybe he has changed his mind. Myself,I love the kid,and have said repeatedly that Oz needs to stick with him til he cools off. If he never cools off, start him the rest of the year. But 3 of 16 is sounding like a cool-off of sorts....lets hope he pounds out a few hits tonite,as he is in right field,and we continue to ride that little pony!3/16 is too small of a sample size. I didn't see every AB of his, but he might have had a few where he hit the ball well and it was right at someone or the defender made a good play. If he goes 3/4 tonight he would be hitting .300 on the homestand, so I'd give it a few more games to see if he really is cooling off.

Tragg
06-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Who do we have better than Dunn to DH? Teahen?

WhiteSox5187
06-08-2011, 03:23 PM
Who do we have better than Dunn to DH? Teahen?

Quentin.

kaufsox
06-08-2011, 03:42 PM

It is an indicator though. harsh business this baseball.

Harry Chappas
06-08-2011, 03:56 PM

I've posed this same question here before. It seems like some players are pigeon-holed as 4th outfielders, utility infielders, pinch-hitters, etc. Lililbridge was drafted in the 4th round in 2005 so at least at one point, he was pretty well-regarded by scouts. He has 395 career plate appearances in the MLB so it's not like we're working from a huge sample size. As a comparison, Beckham has almost 1200 plate appearances.

Maybe the Sox have caught lightning in a bottle or maybe the "light" went on for Lilibridge. Given Rios struggles, I'd prefer to keep trotting him out there. As for his 3 - 16 home stand, I think that doesn't necessarily point to him "cooling off."

Tragg
06-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Quentin.

So we leave Rios in the lineup instead of Dunn?
I'd rather Dunn...he's going to pull out of it.

Daver
06-08-2011, 04:33 PM
I agree and disagree. He's got excellent speed and a great arm. His ability to get good jumps and proper angles are inconsistent and the area is which he really struggles is ability to command and dictate the center field position specifically knowing when to call or call off others.

You must be watching a different player than I am.

billyvsox
06-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Billyvsox will approve of this. :tongue: Good idea, he needs to clear his head and relax. Seems like they are babying him, bit I think this is the right call for him and the team right now. Have to give Ozzie credit, this for this. Takes a lot of nerve to bench a 14 mil player.

I approve of this message