PDA

View Full Version : Guess who I met today...

guillen4life13
06-07-2011, 11:33 PM
There was a thread earlier on meeting celebs. Well... I met the best defensive shortstop of my lifetime today at the FedEx on Division/Paulina. That's right, Omar Vizquel. Shy guy but cordial. Shook hands and told him that he was my favorite player to watch when I was growing up (he was tied with Roberto Alomar). Didn't ask for an autograph or bother him any further, but it definitely made my day. Walked in there, looked at the counter, then saw him standing there. Double take, like "Is it actually him? Why is HE here?" and realized that it definitely was him with what looked to be his girlfriend.

Eh. It really made my day. Even when he played for the Jndjans, I loved that DP tandem and the way he played (and still plays). For the short time I played little league, I tried to model my game after him and Alomar, even if they were the enemies.

So yeah, thought I'd share. :bandance:

GlassSox
06-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Wow that must have been great.

DumpJerry
06-07-2011, 11:51 PM
He did hit a Triple for you tonight.

Gavin
06-08-2011, 12:20 AM
There was a thread earlier on meeting celebs. Well... I met the best defensive shortstop of my lifetime today at the FedEx on Division/Paulina. That's right, Omar Vizquel. Shy guy but cordial. Shook hands and told him that he was my favorite player to watch when I was growing up (he was tied with Roberto Alomar). Didn't ask for an autograph or bother him any further, but it definitely made my day. Walked in there, looked at the counter, then saw him standing there. Double take, like "Is it actually him? Why is HE here?" and realized that it definitely was him with what looked to be his girlfriend.

Eh. It really made my day. Even when he played for the Jndjans, I loved that DP tandem and the way he played (and still plays). For the short time I played little league, I tried to model my game after him and Alomar, even if they were the enemies.

He always was a little bit of a hipster.

Bruizer
06-08-2011, 11:47 AM
My daughter met Pedro Martinez at the White Plains, NY, airport on Monday in the security line. She had just gone to the Mets game that weekend where they came back from a 6-0 deficit to win 7-6 I believe, so she had a Mets t-shirt on, and apparently, he turned around and said hi to her. :cool:

miker
06-08-2011, 12:02 PM
If have a soft spot for Omar...he's the last guy in the majors as old as I am! :o:

Carneyman14
06-08-2011, 12:27 PM

Pics or it didn't happen

thomas35forever
06-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Is Omar the last active guy in the Majors who played at Old Comiskey?

FielderJones
06-08-2011, 12:39 PM

I think he is. Wakefield is the only active player older than him, and his MLB career didn't start until 1992.

ChiSoxGal85
06-08-2011, 12:56 PM
That's so awesome. I love Omar. Not only is he a good ballplayer but he seems to really have fun out there too.

DSpivack
06-08-2011, 01:00 PM
If have a soft spot for Omar...he's the last guy in the majors as old as I am! :o:

Tim Wakefield is a year older.

miker
06-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Tim Wakefield is a year older.

...and still throws harder than I do!

kaufsox
06-08-2011, 01:26 PM

I'm not quite there, but after Thome and Jeter go, I think that's it! :o:

DumpJerry
06-08-2011, 01:53 PM
The other day while my 10 year old nephew was pitching in his Little League game, Travis Hafner stopped by to watch him for an inning or two. Hafner's brother in-law is one of the coaches of the team. I asked my brother if Hafner got the Tribe to offer his kid a contract to come up to The Show right away because that would help the White Sox.

MeteorsSox4367
06-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Another reason to like Vizquel:

Did anyone see him clap along with the fans as Humber was taken out of the game Tuesday night?

That was very cool.

DonnieDarko
06-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Another reason to like Vizquel:

Did anyone see him clap along with the fans as Humber was taken out of the game Tuesday night?

That was very cool.

I missed that. Got a video?

Over By There
06-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Cool - used to live right on that intersection in the red building that used to house Mas.

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2011, 02:27 PM
I'm not quite there, but after Thome and Jeter go, I think that's it! :o:
There are a ton of major leaguers older than Jeter.

Cool story to the OP, though!

FielderJones
06-08-2011, 02:47 PM
I missed that. Got a video?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=cws&content_id=15660923&topic_id=8879206

Not Vizquel, but Castro is also clapping in the dugout at about 1:16.

MeteorsSox4367
06-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I happened to see it last night because I was at the game. I'm not sure if they showed it during the telecast.

C-Dawg
06-08-2011, 04:17 PM

If he is, its even more interesting because he also played in the LAST game there too, September 30, 1990.

Sox
06-08-2011, 06:14 PM

I really can't really say the same unless their a manager or base coach. :geezer:

guillen4life13
06-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Pics or it didn't happen

Not interested in the Jose Mesa treatment from Omar. First time I've been starstruck since I met Jerry Cantrell. Omar's been around long enough to where he probably just gets really uncomfortable around fans and doesn't find the novelty in it anymore. It's how he seemed when he noticed I recognized him. Nice guy, but just shy and not interested in interacting with anyone. To take a photo would have been even more awkward.

Can't think of a better player for a kid to model himself after than him though. Arguably the best fielder of all time at--arguably--the most difficult defensive position, and he was a quality hitter to boot. Prototypical #2 hitter in his prime.

fisk4ever
06-09-2011, 04:46 PM
I'll bet that brush with celebrity made your week! This might be your cue to change your username to something Omarish.

guillen4life13
06-10-2011, 05:50 PM
I'll bet that brush with celebrity made your week! This might be your cue to change your username to something Omarish.

Perhaps you forgot the "4life" part of my username. :tongue: