06-07-2011, 09:37 PM
That's a man.

doublem23
06-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Humber > Hernandez

MARK IT, DUDE

JermaineDye05
06-07-2011, 09:38 PM
I didn't think we had a prayer against Felix and Pineda.

Pleasant surprise to have beaten them both.

Considering I thought the Sox would beat Penny, they're right about where I expected them to be right now, save for being a game behind Detroit.

OmahaSoxFan
06-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Great outing for Humber to get his fifth win! Who would have thought this guy would be the best starting pitcher on the staff this season?

Overall a good game for the Sox from start to finish, and another win that pulls the boys within three wins of .500... slowly but surely they are creeping back to that important mark.

Soxfest
06-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Back to back quality wins. Humber continues to impress me.:D:

JB98
06-07-2011, 09:39 PM
You gotta get good pitchers early in the game. The Sox got Hernandez early.

Nice job. Humber was tough again.

A. Cavatica
06-07-2011, 09:41 PM
41 is the magic Humber.

ZombieRob
06-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Very nice win and beat a very tough top notch pitcher makes it even more impressive. Humber has been a big surprise all year!

miker
06-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Good pitching, timely hitting...let's keep this up.

voodoochile
06-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Sox clearly had a good offensive game plan against a great pitcher. Both PK and TCQ turned and burned on those pitches as did Omar. Good job all around. Anytime you can beat a pitcher that good you have to be happy.

Plugging along...

3 games under, 6 games back...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

ZombieRob
06-07-2011, 09:44 PM
You gotta get good pitchers early in the game. The Sox got Hernandez early.

Nice job. Humber was tough again.
Agreed. Had trouble spotting the fastball, but the curve and slider were biting and he fought through it. Showed me a lot tonight and very impressive showing.

vinny
06-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Humber continues to more than do his share. And Vizquel is an absolute joy to watch.

BTW, to get back to someone's question in the game thread, at age 44 Vizquel is the oldest player to hit a triple since, well, since he hit one last year.

Julio Franco hit one in 2005 when he was 46. The only older player I can find was a pitcher named Nick Altrock (of the 1906 White Sox fame), who hit one (the only one in his career) for the Senators on the last day of the 1924 season when he was 48. It was the last game he ever pitched, but he made three later pinch hit appearances at ages 52, 54, and 56.

soltrain21
06-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Lock him up for next year already.

RowanDye
06-07-2011, 09:48 PM

At least update the picture on his Wikipedia page...

:tongue:

Mohoney
06-07-2011, 09:48 PM
If Adam Dunn ever heats up, this is the best team in baseball.

russ99
06-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Good to see the guys string together a few solid home wins against good pitching, and the bench guys really contributing while Dunn and Rios get it together.

Keep it going.

Tomorrow is huge, we haven't been able to get over the 3 games under .500 hump a few times now.

Zakath
06-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Humber just continues to impress. Gone at least 6 innings in his last 8 starts (7 or more in 7 of those) and has pitched well enough to put us in a position to win (4-1, and we lost 2 of the other 3, despite Humber giving up 2 runs or less in all three games).

In those 8 starts: 57 IP, 38 H, 15 ER, 4 HR, 11 BB, 32 K, 2.37 ERA, 0.860 WHIP

thomas35forever
06-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Don't forget Rios sucks right now too.

Bucky F. Dent
06-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Phil Humber, you're my hero!

palehozenychicty
06-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Humber > Hernandez

MARK IT, DUDE

I love what Humber has brought to this team. Even saw him throw that game live against the Yanks. But c'mon now. :D:

Mohoney
06-07-2011, 09:55 PM

IMO, if he can elevate his game in CF, I'm willing to live with him not hitting. Adam Dunn is the wild card in all of this. If you can stack Quentin, Konerko, and a regular Dunn as your 3-4-5 in a playoff lineup, with the 6 starters that we have, I'll roll the dice.

JermaineDye05

Outside of Crain and Santos, our bullpen is still a big question mark.

doublem23

At least there's an adequate replacement for the time being in Lillibridge

sunofgold
06-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Humber makes hitters feel dumber! Humber puts bats into slumber! Humber got the right number!

We own the Mariners. Usually Felix is the only Mariner's pitcher that beats us. But not tonight.

Mohoney
06-07-2011, 09:59 PM

Matt Thornton is trending positive, and with his track record, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Anything more than 3 reliable arms is insanely good luck, unless you spent $30+ million in your bullpen.

johnnyg83
06-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Nice Phil Humber. And PK is just a professional hitter. Hate to think where we'd be w/o his RBIs.

Zakath
06-07-2011, 10:02 PM
At least there's an adequate replacement for the time being in Lillibridge

The thing you really have to enjoy about watching Lillibridge is the effort the kid puts out every chance he's given to play. He's made outstanding plays because he's put himself in position to make outstanding plays.

MountainCur
06-07-2011, 10:02 PM
This is looking a lot like last year - although I think we are in better position. We really didn't start any sort of run till interleague actually started, and we did not have Phil Humber. Hopefully the 6 man rotation (I know that is over for at least 2 projected Peavy starts) means we do not fade in August. And I also hope we see similar success in interleague despite it being a somewhat more difficult schedule than last year.

ShooterMcGavin
06-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Humber dominates again.

Vizquel had a nice two-run triple to put the Sox up 3-0.

Konerko remains hot.

Pierre continues to struggle.

Quentin had a two-run home run.

canOcorn
06-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Matt Thornton is trending positive, and with his track record, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Anything more than 3 reliable arms is insanely good luck, unless you spent $30+ million in your bullpen.

I thought that about Thornton before last Friday. And then he just wet himself. I do think he should come around (if he's not injured), but his location is way off and his pitch speed is way too inconsistent.

MountainCur
06-07-2011, 10:05 PM

And even then you could spend $35m on a crappy setup man.

Mohoney
06-07-2011, 10:11 PM

So, we have a RH setup man and a closer. IMO, we also have a LH setup in Matt Thornton. He'll get himself together.

So with 5 legit starters and 3 legit bullpen arms, I think pitching will take care of itself unless Ozzie ****s it up. As for the offense, we have 2 legit beasts in Quentin and Konerko. Add a typical Adam Dunn season to that mix.

Not to mention that this team looks much better defensively.

chisoxfanatic
Sox clearly had a good offensive game plan against a great pitcher. Both PK and TCQ turned and burned on those pitches as did Omar. Good job all around. Anytime you can beat a pitcher that good you have to be happy.

Plugging along...

3 games under, 6 games back...
With how things started (after Week 1), I'll take it.

Zakath
And I also hope we see similar success in interleague despite it being a somewhat more difficult schedule than last year.

I'd put it at only slightly more difficult because the road trips are a little tougher, while the home series are somewhat easier. Outside of the 6 games with the AAA team, we played at Pittsburgh and Washington last year while hosting Atlanta and Florida. This year, it's Arizona and Colorado on the road with the Dodgers and Nats coming here.

The AAA team may be in worse shape now than they were last year.

PeteWard
06-07-2011, 10:15 PM
I'd put it at only slightly more difficult because the road trips are a little tougher, while the home series are somewhat easier. Outside of the 6 games with the AAA team, we played at Pittsburgh and Washington last year while hosting Atlanta and Florida. This year, it's Arizona and Colorado on the road with the Dodgers and Nats coming here.

The AAA team may be in worse shape now than they were last year.

I think the six games vs this year's Cubs team vs last year's makes the IL schedule easier.

Nelfox02
06-07-2011, 10:31 PM
was hoping Humber could keep it close enough for us to scratch out a run or 2 to take this thing------he did his part and OMAR?!? overall a nice game, series clincher

wish we could have gained some ground on DET the last 2 nights.

Can we punctuate this with a sweep? seems like we never get past the 3 under .500 spot

Humber any shot at the all star game if this keeps up?

Nelfox02
06-07-2011, 10:41 PM
IMO, if he can elevate his game in CF, I'm willing to live with him not hitting. Adam Dunn is the wild card in all of this. If you can stack Quentin, Konerko, and a regular Dunn as your 3-4-5 in a playoff lineup, with the 6 starters that we have, I'll roll the dice.

that is a lot of money to pay Rios to not hit jack or ****........

palehozenychicty
06-07-2011, 10:52 PM
I'm giving Rios until the end of this year. If Jays GM Anthopolous can get rid of him and Wells as a young GM, then Kenny can do it.

slavko
06-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Nice Phil Humber. And PK is just a professional hitter. Hate to think where we'd be w/o his RBIs.

I, for one, don't miss those two month slumps he used to go into, where he tried to pull every outside pitch and rode GIDP into the ground. He's become a better hitter, aging like fine wine. And he can still catch up to 95 MPH.

I thought that about Thornton before last Friday. And then he just wet himself. I do think he should come around (if he's not injured), but his location is way off and his pitch speed is way too inconsistent.

Sale coming in makes me feel more secure than Matt right now.

whitesox4eva
06-07-2011, 11:01 PM
At least update the picture on his Wikipedia page...

:tongue:

I just wikipedia'ed him....:shocked:

balke
06-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Most Sox teams I'm used to lately would've taken first pitch strike and eaten up pitches til king felix left the game. Nice to see the better hitting players allowed to swing the bat. PK is on fire - not sure how he grabbed that ball.

They said Dunn won't take mechanical help because he "feels" the ball. PK has worked hard to keep his head on the ball through his swing and it seems to have paid huge dividends for a guy people hated as much as Dunn or Rios a few years back during one of his 2 major slumps. Hopefully Dunn is willing to take a page from pk if he doesn't start feeling it soon.

kevingrt
06-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Humber is a freaking god. And why do we do so well against the likes of King Felix, Lester, etc. but cannot hit the random starting pitchers? So incredibly frustrating.

chisoxfanatic
06-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Humber is a freaking god. And why do we do so well against the likes of King Felix, Lester, etc. but cannot hit the random starting pitchers? So incredibly frustrating.
Blame the scouting department.

Tragg
06-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Another fine effort by Humber...he's even improving.
Konerko can play.

Foulke You
06-07-2011, 11:34 PM
This is looking a lot like last year - although I think we are in better position. We really didn't start any sort of run till interleague actually started, and we did not have Phil Humber. Hopefully the 6 man rotation (I know that is over for at least 2 projected Peavy starts) means we do not fade in August. And I also hope we see similar success in interleague despite it being a somewhat more difficult schedule than last year.
I agree with your take. We are in a better position because I don't see the Tigers reeling off the type of streak the Twins did in the 2nd half of last season. As hot as we played, they would one up us at every turn. Detroit is playing well, but I don't think they are as good as last year's Twins team.

Pierre continues to struggle.

He does indeed, yet he seems to have Ozzie immunity. Pierre has been *almost* as bad as Rios this year and has never once been relegated to bench duty. Ozzie doesn't even rest him against lefty pitchers. He plays every single day no matter what. Pierre is an easy guy to like with his work ethic but right now, we just aren't getting enough out of him.

DrCrawdad
06-07-2011, 11:43 PM
In Spring Training I was sure that Phil Humber was purely AAA filler. I'm sure glad to have been proven wrong. I'm Humbered...

johnnyg83
06-07-2011, 11:57 PM
In Spring Training I was sure that Phil Humber was purely AAA filler. I'm sure glad to have been proven wrong. I'm Humbered...

In my Humber opinion ... I love Phil Humber.

hawkjt
06-08-2011, 12:18 AM
I think a day off here and there is very important,especially with this early binge of games. Glad that Alexei got his day off. Omar looked fresh. I think Morel's looked great since coming back regularly at third. PK had a couple days off vs Detroit,and has come back strong.
I do think that Juan could use a day or two off here and there,but he had a 14 game hitting streak about a week ago,so I am not ready to write him off. Next lefty we face,put lilly out in left.

Humber is in a great zone right now...just as calm as a cucumber,Humber.
Good to see Carlos continue his hot streak. He could have another monster year like 08 if he stays healthy....40 homers anyone?

Beating King Felix was great....hot weather baseball is back!
Now,Gavin,go out and finish these guys off! M's have won a team record 6 straight series coming into chicago,so it is not like the Sox caught them at a good time....keep it going!

DirtySox
06-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Didn't get to see this one because of class, but if you told me the Sox would beat both Pineda and Felix, I would have chuckled mightily.

Nice to see Morel keeps hitting.

TDog
06-08-2011, 12:25 AM
... Pierre has been *almost* as bad as Rios this year and has never once been relegated to bench duty. Ozzie doesn't even rest him against lefty pitchers. He plays every single day no matter what. Pierre is an easy guy to like with his work ethic but right now, we just aren't getting enough out of him.

There really isn't anyone else Guillen would feel comfortable about leading off. It's just a guess, but I think Lillibridge or Ramirez might be able to lead off, especially if Beckham and Morel are getting on base more, as they have been lately. Pierre has quite a few RBI opportunities, and that's where he is is underperforming most.

If you are playing Lillibridge for Rios, you really don't have anyone you could be starting in left in place of Pierre. Dunn and Teahen might technically be options, but not options I would consider viable.

Maybe if Viciedo came up to take Peavy's place, he might be an option in left, not strong defensively but a possible upgrade offensively.

Pierre got two hits against Hernandez when he faced him a month ago. He isn't nearly the biggest problem with the offense.

Crooked Number
06-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Didn't get to see this one tonight. Paulie and Q once again with some nice contributions from the bench guys (Omar with an rbi triple, man how good has he been for this team?). What more can you say about Humber, with Peavy down he is going to be a huge factor if we want to make noise this season. Lets go for a second sweep in as many weeks!

I will be at this one tomorrow so i hope Gavin brings his good stuff!

DirtySox
06-08-2011, 12:39 AM

No need. Humber has less than a year of service time. He isn't even arbitration eligible until 2013.

guillensdisciple
06-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Still 6 back and 3 under. Lets gut them tomorrow.

I still want to see us beat divisional opponents before I go into any prolonged optimism.

That really worries me.

soxfanatlanta
06-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Man, Seattle sucks.

DrCrawdad
06-08-2011, 06:59 AM
In my Humber opinion ... I love Phil Humber.

Well played.

Man, Seattle sucks.

The Mariners are in 2nd place in the AL West.

doublem23
06-08-2011, 08:25 AM
The Mariners are in 2nd place in the AL West.

That should tell you all you need to know about the A's and Angels, eh?

They've got some pitching, but overall this Mariners team is hot garbage.

doublem23
06-08-2011, 08:27 AM
No need. Humber has less than a year of service time. He isn't even arbitration eligible until 2013.

Does it still work that way even though he was released as a free agent by the Twins after the 2009 season?

miker
06-08-2011, 08:29 AM

A win is still a win. Remember all those Sox teams that couldn't even beat "hot garbage?"

tstrike2000
06-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Humber has my vote as MVP of the team so far.

MeteorsSox4367
06-08-2011, 09:04 AM
I was able to go to the game last night and Humber was amazing. As one of my buddies said, "Where the hell did the Sox get this guy?"

All I know is that I looked at the scoreboard at one point and Humber had given up one run and a handful of hits.

The man just pitches. Nothing fancy, but does his job and does it very well.

hawkjt
06-08-2011, 09:12 AM
That should tell you all you need to know about the A's and Angels, eh?

They were just hot,period,until coming to Chicago. Won their last 6 series,and 15 -4 in their last 19 games. I was very concerned about this series with the Sox running into a buzzsaw. 2nd in the league in pitching is nothing to sneeze at,with good defense to back it up. But their offense does seem weak.

jdm2662
06-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Does it still work that way even though he was released as a free agent by the Twins after the 2009 season?

Yes, the same thing happened with AJ after 2005. The Giants simply let him go, and he was signed by the White Sox. AJ had still not reached six years of service time at the end of 2005, and he was under the Sox control for another year (he was ab eligible). Humber will be with the Sox for a while, as long as they want him.

miker
06-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Humber will be with the Sox for a while, as long as they want him.

If he can be as steady a starting pitcher like pitcher as he has this whole year, who wouldn't want him!

Irishsox1
06-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Humber's numbers this year are shocking. Prior to this year his combined innings pitched has been 50.4 innings, with an era of 4.90 and 2 wins and 1 loss. This year alone he's pitched 75.1 innings, and era of 2.87 and 5 & 3 record.

Either he's figured it out, or he'll flame out in the second half.

Bruizer
06-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Great game to be at last night! Lillibridge comes through with another nice catch when the Mariners were threatening late! Nice job by Humber again. I look forward to going to the games when he's scheduled to pitch! :cool:

soxinem1
06-08-2011, 10:56 AM

Add Rios to that list too.

Humber's numbers this year are shocking. Prior to this year his combined innings pitched has been 50.4 innings, with an era of 4.90 and 2 wins and 1 loss. This year alone he's pitched 75.1 innings, and era of 2.87 and 5 & 3 record.

Either he's figured it out, or he'll flame out in the second half.

This is a game of adjustments. Teams will now be reviewing everything he did against them in prior outings so the key will definitely be when he faces teams a second and third time. His stuff is good (esp. his off-speed offereings), but he is not an over-powering pitcher that will just blow people away.

What I notice from watching him is that he is tough for the opposing hitters to pick up, meaning he is not tipping pitches all that often. If this continues he should still be solid, but I am very curious to see how the future develops for him.

That is one of the things that makes baseball so much fun. Those who continue to adjust and produce are the survivors.

steviestayfresh
06-08-2011, 11:15 AM
I'll be honest, I was skeptical of Humber making the roster out of spring training. This kid is pitching his ass off. Very impressed.

miker
06-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Add Rios to that list too.

I'd be happy to get Dunn and Rios up to "tepid".

October26
06-08-2011, 03:42 PM
I am pleased that the Sox beat King Felix last night. :smile:

Humber, Lillibridge, Omar, Paulie, and TCQ In, Sox Win! :bandance: