PDA

View Full Version : Piersall Rants, Calls Konerko a "Jerk."

Viva Magglio
07-09-2002, 08:10 AM
After Mike Murphy made claims that Ted Williams was, well, not exactly a positive role model, Jimmy Piersall called up and defended his ex-Red Sox teammate. He then went into a rant on Paul Konerko's comments about Frank Thomas. Piersall called Konerko a "jerk" and claimed he could not hold Thomas' jock. He also said Konerko was cowardly because he didn't say those things to Thomas' face.

I don't think Jimmy likes Konerko very much. Rememer when we clinched the division in 2000 and Konerko ran around the bases with a beer in his hand? Piersall got all over Paulie for that.

Kilroy
07-09-2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I don't think Jimmy likes Konerko very much. Rememer when we clinched the division in 2000 and Konerko ran around the bases with a beer in his hand? Piersall got all over Paulie for that.

That may be, but Jimmy has a point. PK shouldn't be talking to the press about Thomas, just like fat-ass David Wells shouldn't have last season. If Paulie has something to say, he should say it to Thomas first. Regardless of the fact that reporters are asking him the questions. He should just say that he's got no comment.

If he's gonna be the so called "leader" that everyone is giving him credit for being, he should lead like a man and take care of issues at the source. That means talking to your teammates when there is a problem, not the press.

If you disagree, ask yourself, what's gotten better since Paulie opened his yap??

duke of dorwood
07-09-2002, 09:08 AM
I agree that Piersall seems to have a bug about Paulie, unfortunatley, these things happen so often now because of reporters being ever-present and the players have not learned to keep their passionate opinions to themselves yet. Frank gets slack in this matter too. Intentions are good, but the timing is not.

Paulwny
07-09-2002, 09:17 AM
It's been beaten to death and no one listens, "What happens in the club house stays in the club house".

Kilroy
07-09-2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
It's been beaten to death and no one listens, "What happens in the club house stays in the club house".

Strange that we all know that yet everyone seems to be giving Konerko the congratulatory blow-job for really making this "controversy".

foulkesfan11
07-09-2002, 09:40 AM
I don't know what Paul said, but I do think that whatever it was should have stayed in the clubhouse too. However, I do think that Thomas is a bum!

LongDistanceFan
07-09-2002, 10:23 AM
After Mike Murphy made claims that Ted Williams was, well, not exactly a positive role model, Jimmy Piersall called up and defended his ex-Red Sox teammate. He then went into a rant on Paul Konerko's comments about Frank Thomas. Piersall called Konerko a "jerk" and claimed he could not hold Thomas' jock. He also said Konerko was cowardly because he didn't say those things to Thomas' face.

I don't think Jimmy likes Konerko very much. Rememer when we clinched the division in 2000 and Konerko ran around the bases with a beer in his hand? Piersall got all over Paulie for that. what i find amusing is jimmy saying that paulie is a jerk, when he, jimmy made a comment about the players wife over the air, which lead him to getting fired

LongDistanceFan
07-09-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Strange that we all know that yet everyone seems to be giving Konerko the congratulatory blow-job for really making this "controversy".

that was kinda strong choice of words, which i will respond to. being one who said that frank was wrong, he (pauli) is making himself the point man to air out what he thinks are problems that maybe the management is not taking care off or the player refusing to look at. if you can't find remedy thru normal channels, maybe you find other ways to rectify the situation. if embarrassing big frank in the media will get the msg thru to him than maybe the method work.

34 Inch Stick
07-09-2002, 10:46 AM
When does one person embarrasing another publicly ever work in any life situation.

LongDistanceFan
07-09-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
When does one person embarrasing another publicly ever work in any life situation. for some players it does.

idseer
07-09-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
for some players it does.

everyone here is guessing what the circumstances are here. for all we know paul did talk directly to frank and got nowhere.

what i do know is that this stuff should be dealt with and paul hasn't shied away from talking about it. eveyone seemed to love it when jose and others complained about royce in the press, how is this any different?

ChiSoxBobette
07-09-2002, 11:25 AM
I heard the show to and I think maybe Pauly just got tired of all of Thomas's crying. What was said to the press by Konerko I think thats been coming for a long time, last year these players did nothing but stick up for Thomas when he was hurt saying that they needed him because he was the teams leader and then he slaps them in the face by what he says and does. Pauly is right when he came out and said Franks not a team player thats the way its always been with Thomas - him first the team 2nd. I think Sunday after the game we saw who the the White Sox team leader is Paul Konerko, on the field and in the clubhouse. This is what everyone has been waiting for a player on this team to take charge, I think what was said will either make Frank come out with fire in his eyes after the all-star game or he will pout and whine. As far as Piersall saying Pauly can't hold Franks jock strap well is'nt Piersall who is always on Thomas's back about the way he is now he's a big Thomas fan, look at what Pauly has done the last few years he gotten better and better plus he plays as good a 1st base as anyone in the A.L. So I think we should just take what Jimmy Piersall says with a grain of salt as fas as I'm concerned the last few years Frank can't hold Pauly's jock. Pauly only said what all of the players probably have been saying only Pauly had the stones to come out and say it. THOMAS DOES'NT CARE ABOUT THE WHITE SOX IF HE DID HE WOULD HAVE SAW THAT WHAT MANUEL DID WAS FOR HIM HE'S LOOKED TERRIBLE AT THE PLATE AND HE NEEDS TO REGROUP AND GET HIS SWING BACK BY KEEPING HIM IN THE LINEUP IS JUST HURTING THE SOX!
Also I find it very interesting that during all of this Kenny Lofton has been very quiet , did'nt we also bring him in to be a team leader. After the all-star break there has got to be some major changes and the two I would like to see is getting Todd Ritchie out of the starting lineup and bringing up some of our rookies namely Crede & Borchard or Harris and if this team is going to make a run I think Manuel should make Marte the closer.
GO WHITE SOX

oldcomiskey
07-09-2002, 11:28 AM
first of Piersall is an idoit--and like he reminds everybody--hes got papers to prove it--calling Sox wives and gfs horny old broads---picking a fight with I believe it was Dave Winfield when Dave was a Yankee---these things dont add up to credability...plus he was a genuine bonafide flake too

Dadawg_77
07-09-2002, 11:36 AM
A team leader dosen't go babbling to the media about the problems in the clubhouse, a team leader takes care of such problems in the clubhouse.

Paulie isn't close to having a Frank career yet, thats where Jimmy can make that statment about Paulie be a lesser player then Frank.

You want to call out a player on a team, do in front of your team. A player will be more embrassed if their fellow teammates think they are wrong then what joe blow fan thinks.

The point is no matter how you look at it, the Sox need Frank to be Frank to do anything this or next year.

duke of dorwood
07-09-2002, 11:40 AM
Thomas statement that he's not a "cheerleader" spoke for itself and deserved a reply from a player that feels "cheerleading" is one way to contribute to the team when the stats show you are not. That statement called for an immediate response from the manager, and if he hasn't the nads , the GM. This is one thing this team misses from James Baldwin. When he was hurt, he was around. When not pitching, he was there cheering his teammates on. Its hard to support someone who never returns it. That's Thomas.

Jerry_Manuel
07-09-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
A team leader dosen't go babbling to the media about the problems in the clubhouse, a team leader takes care of such problems in the clubhouse.

The point is no matter how you look at it, the Sox need Frank to be Frank to do anything this or next year.

Konerko isn't the team leader. He's the leader of the group of players who dislikes Thomas. And depending on what you want to believe, it's a good majority of that clubhouse.

Even if Frank regains his stroke this season is lost with the labor issues. If Frank regains it next year, you deal him to the first team that wants him.

CubKilla
07-09-2002, 01:35 PM
Has it been written anywhere that Konerko, or other members of the team, tried to talk to Frank Thomas before his remarks to the press and Thomas, may have in fact, brushed him off? If this is the case, I haven't seen it anywhere. 'idseer' was correct to state that Konerko may have approached Thomas before commenting to the media and, by Frank's actions of late, I would not be suprised if he told Konerko to, "shove it." You will not find a bigger fan of all that Frank has done for the White Sox than me. But it seems that when this team needs him to step up as a team leader, he refuses to participate in drills, stages a walk-off protest because he feels he is underpaid, shows up late to BP, etc. A TEAM LEADER SWEATS IT OUT IN THE DUGOUT ON A DAY WHERE THE TEMP IS 90+ DEGREES AND IS A VOCAL SUPPORTER AND CHEERLEADER FOR THE GUYS (usually on the bench) THAT ARE OUT THERE. Thomas goes into the airconditioned clubhouse and batting cages away from the game..... away from the team. I can no longer defend any player with this type of "team player" mentality.

Trade his a$$ to Atlanta so he can go back home. They'll need a replacement for an aging Julio Franco anyway.

Kilroy
07-09-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
...it seems that when this team needs him to step up as a team leader...

Someone, for the love of God, please explain why Frank HAS to be the leader of this team. Where does it say that the player with the biggest paycheck, biggest stats, or is the most veteran must be the leader of the team?

I don't think that's written anywhere, nor is it an unwritten rule. But one of the longest standing knocks on Thomas is that he's not a leader. Why isn't anyone on Carlos Lee's case because he's not a leader? Buehrle isn't a team leader. Neither is Maggs. Why does Thomas get grief for not being a leader, when other guys don't?

It's a load of crap. Some people are natural leaders. Some people aren't. It's that simple.

Oh, and one more thing. Can Thomas help the team more by being there cheering on his teammates, or working out his problems??

Cheryl
07-09-2002, 02:26 PM

Oh, and one more thing. Can Thomas help the team more by being there cheering on his teammates, or working out his problems??

In the interest of space I snipped everything I agree with.

This part though---he has plenty of time to work on his hitting problems before and after the game. During the game, he should be in the dugout. Period.

Chisox353014
07-09-2002, 02:32 PM
1. I highly doubt Konerko went to the media and offered his opinions unsolicited. He's answering questions here.
2. Konerko is a straight shooter and he's just answering these questions honestly.
3. Konerko is absolutely right! While you can say it's partly Manuel's fault for not being upfront with Frank, the bottom line is that Frank is one of 25 guys on a team. As a fan I'm pretty sick of Frank's constant hissy fits, I can imagine what it's like to be on the team with him. I don't care if he is the best hitter this franchise has ever seen.
4.It's pretty clear that Manuel has zero control over this team. He makes statements and then doesn't back them up (the Clayton "benching"), benches people without telling them why (Frank), and plays anybody who whines enough (Liefer, Clayton among others). I tried to be patient with him, but I'm ready to call for his head now too.

Jerry_Manuel
07-09-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
4.It's pretty clear that Manuel has zero control over this team.

The question is how much does Kenny Williams have his hand in the pot?

Kilroy
07-09-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
1. I highly doubt Konerko went to the media and offered his opinions unsolicited. He's answering questions here.

...As a fan I'm pretty sick of Frank's constant hissy fits...

Lemme see, Konerko didn't go to the media, he's just answering questions, but Frank sought out the media and had a hissy fit about not being in the line-up??

Wow.

Strange, the only comments I heard from Frank were:

1. I'm not happy about not being in the line-up.
2. He's the manager, so I guess he doesn't have to tell me.
3. If I'm not wanted, I'll accept a trade.

Please identify the hissy fit.

Mathew
07-09-2002, 03:30 PM

Lemme see, Konerko didn't go to the media, he's just answering questions, but Frank sought out the media and had a hissy fit about not being in the line-up??

Wow.

Good point.

doublem23
07-09-2002, 03:35 PM
Granted, what I think Paulie did was completely out of line, but I love how Piersall says Paulie is a jerk for not saying it to his face.... over the radio.

Irony is delicious, is it not? :smile:

Foulke You
07-09-2002, 03:35 PM

Wow.

Agreed. I don't necessarily agree with Frank but I think the media and fans have blown this "whining hissy fit" stuff out of proportion. It's how the Chicago media spins it anyway which convinces most of the masses. The local media was licking its chops at this latest Frank mess. They've taken the ball and run with it. They won't be happy until they run Frank's @$$ right out of town because they've never liked him. My personal favorite was the Sun-Times in their true tabloid fashion taking Konerko's comment out of context by putting in big black letters "GET RID OF HIM" on the front of the sports page when in reality the whole quote was "If Frank doesn't want to play as a team and in a team concept then maybe they should get rid of him." As you can see, the quote was misused to help make the situation worse. Funny how Sammy gets a free ride for showing up late every Spring Training, leaving his team for 3 days right when a new manager comes in, blasting his Salsa music, yet Sammy is a great team player in the Chicago Media's eyes.

Jerry_Manuel
07-09-2002, 03:38 PM

I'll provide as many quotes I as can from this weekend.

"I would love to be on the same page [with Manuel]," "Some things are better off left unsaid," Thomas said. "If I knew this was the plan, of course I could've handled it a little better." "It's not going to continue after the break," Thomas said. "I haven't talked to him at all about it," Thomas said. "I don't need to. He doesn't have to let me know what's going on. He told me [I would sit out Friday] and that was it. He didn't tell me about today. He's the manager. I guess he feels he doesn't have to tell me. He makes those decisions.

"All I have to do is get my bat going and all this won't be happening. As for the second half, I don't look at this as a lingering problem.""I don't know what they're doing," Thomas said. "Who knows? I know what I'm hitting is not acceptable for anyone. People go through funks and slumps. Sometimes the game just smacks you in the face.""I'm not sitting here trying to disrupt the clubhouse," he said. "That's not my style, especially anymore. I have to realize I'm hitting .239. But if it was up to me, I'd definitely be in [the lineup] these last three games and try to get something going into the second half." "If they don't want me here, sure, I'd do it," "We'll handle that one day at a time," Thomas said. "[Manuel] has no reason to hold me out of the lineup after the All-Star break. I saw [the Tribune] story today, and I really didn't appreciate it, to be honest. Too many people are stirring the pot, and it's not necessary." "I'm never on the bench non-stop," he said. "I'm going back to the [hitting] cage, back to the film room. Back and forth. I'm never sitting on the bench the whole game. You guys made a story out of something that was unnecessary—me being on the bench. Watch the game. You hardly ever see me there on a day-to-day basis. And me not giving high-fives? I give the guys high-fives here in the tunnel every day [after wins]—me and the four or five pitchers who were in the ballgame."

Chisox353014
07-09-2002, 03:52 PM

Wow.

Where did I say anything about Frank complaining or even talking to the media? I'm talking about the selfish, primadonna-style crap that he pulls all the time. He was benched for 3 days and he shows up late for a game, doesn't sit on the bench with his teammates, doesn't want to be a "cheerleader"....
This is the kind of stuff I'm sick of...walking out of spring training during a team meeting because of a contract dispute, not showing up at the ballpark at all during his rehab...it's a long-term pattern of selfish, non team-oriented behavior. Now having said that I think Frank has been unfairly picked on by the media, and his career performance has earned him some wiggle room on these types of issues. But enough is enough. Either he's part of the team or he isn't. If, apparently, he doesn't want to cheer for his teammates, I have to conclude that he's not much of a team player. I'm not saying he has to be "the man" in the clubhouse. But if he's not even going to sit on the bench during a game what are people supposed to think?

Kilroy
07-09-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I'll provide as many quotes I as can from this weekend.

Ok, you've got 9 quotes. But the first 3 were directly related to his not being happy about being out of the line-up.

#4 He doesn't have to tell me when he sits me.

#5 He doesn't have to tell me when he sits me.

#6 I'm not happy to be out of the line-up.

#7 If they don't wan't me I'll wave the clause.

#8 I'm not happy to be out of the line up.

#9 (New ground) I think that what you guys have said is news is a bunch of crap.

Still not quite a hissy fit...

Chisox353014
07-09-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

Agreed. I don't necessarily agree with Frank but I think the media and fans have blown this "whining hissy fit" stuff out of proportion. It's how the Chicago media spins it anyway which convinces most of the masses. The local media was licking its chops at this latest Frank mess. They've taken the ball and run with it. They won't be happy until they run Frank's @$$ right out of town because they've never liked him. My personal favorite was the Sun-Times in their true tabloid fashion taking Konerko's comment out of context by putting in big black letters "GET RID OF HIM" on the front of the sports page when in reality the whole quote was "If Frank doesn't want to play as a team and in a team concept then maybe they should get rid of him." As you can see, the quote was misused to help make the situation worse. Funny how Sammy gets a free ride for showing up late every Spring Training, leaving his team for 3 days right when a new manager comes in, blasting his Salsa music, yet Sammy is a great team player in the Chicago Media's eyes.

Oh, there's no doubt that the media in this town will go way overboard (I think that headline you mentioned was an attempt to make both players look bad), but there have been way too many instances in Frank's career to put this off as just media spin. We as fans don't see 99% of what goes on in the clubhouse, so for Konerko to actually come out and blatantly say that Frank is not always the greatest team player leads me to believe there's something to it. Either that or Konerko is just a bastard :smile:

LongDistanceFan
07-09-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
ohhh that was a great comment and i can't agree with it more....... a very good one. :) :gulp:

kevingrt
07-09-2002, 06:45 PM
It's not like Paulie was the only one making those type comments too, Graffinino made some comments about Frank too...

KVinc
07-09-2002, 08:33 PM

i havent been here in a few weeks or whatever but i am so pissed right now. First off frank should not be acting like this i mean its bull crap and he has to apologize and make up for this. But for Paul Konerko to have the audacity to freakkin speak out on frank thomas, is what pisses me off more. Frank thomas who has given this organization everything and never has once thought about leaving the sox organization. This dumb ass konerko thinks that just because he's having one pretty good half a season he can speak out. I mean if i was frank i would be apologizing for my actions but then i would ask why that ass konerko can talk out now but no one would back him up when david wells was calling him out last year on his injury. Isn't it also suprising how these southside fans are, we have frank who has given us about 9 great years and about 3 bad ones but has always stayed loyal to the team; even when the horse crap fans dont show up to the ballpark or boo his ass for nothing. And we have maggs who has given us 4 solid years and no mention of his butt. But with a half of a season Konerko is already proclaimed as the best player
Typical chicago for you

doublem23
07-09-2002, 11:47 PM
Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

Note to self: Don't piss off KVinc

Although, I gotta say, I do agree with you to an extent. Frank's wrong, Paul's wrong, and we all know two wrongs don't make a right.

Daver
07-09-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

Note to self: Don't piss off KVinc

Although, I gotta say, I do agree with you to an extent. Frank's wrong, Paul's wrong, and we all know two wrongs don't make a right.

But three rights make a left.

doublem23
07-09-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by daver

And vice versa.

So, does that mean voodoo, da_dawg, and me = Nellie? :)

Iguana775
07-10-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by daver

LOL :)

WhiteSoxWinner
07-10-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by KVinc

This dumb ass konerko thinks that just because he's having one pretty good half a season he can speak out... Isn't it also suprising how these southside fans are, we have frank who has given us about 9 great years and about 3 bad ones but has always stayed loyal to the team; even when the horse crap fans dont show up to the ballpark or boo his ass for nothing...But with a half of a season Konerko is already proclaimed as the best player
Typical chicago for you

Firstly, I haven't seen anyone on this board post that Paul Konerko, over the course of his career to date, is better than Thomas. I have seen the point made that you do not have to be the top offensive guy in order to be the leader. So, just because you claim "he's having one pretty good half a season he can speak out", I don't think it necessarily matters. A lot of people, including me, felt that Manos was a leader last year, and he did not lead the club offensively. Finally, I think you have to admit that Konerko is more than just this first half of 2002. He has been one of the top offensive guys on this club since he got here. I think the stats speak for themselves.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5908

LongDistanceFan
07-10-2002, 10:05 AM

Isn't it also suprising how these southside fans are, we have frank who has given us about 9 great years and about 3 bad ones but has always stayed loyal to the team;

first, is frank a god that no-one can criticize him? anybody is subject to be criticize if they deserved it.

second, paulie # are speaking for themselves but i don't hear anyone calling him the best or the greatest.

third, frank has stayed loyal? for 10+mil a yr the sox bought his loyalty and even then he walked out last yr b/c of his loyalty wasn't enuf

ChiSoxBobette
07-10-2002, 12:44 PM
Hopefully Frank will respond with some fire in his eyes and hit the way we know he can. As far as what Piersall said about Pauly and comments made on this forum about Pauly well I think Pauly just stepped up because he was sick & tired of hearing Frank whine. Piersall saying that Konerko can't hold Franks jock well lets be realistic Pauly has done everything the Sox have asked him to do and has become one of the better 1st basemen in the A.L. , Frank on the other hand only wants to hit and convinced himself that he can't play the field. I say Frank should have went out there and made himself a good probably never a great 1st baseman. Pauly with men on 1st & 2nd base and less than 1 out & 2 strikes hits to the right side to get the runners over, Frank comes up in the last several games and seems to not even want to swing whether he's in a slump or not I can't beleive Frank can't hit a fly ball to the outfield to get a runner in. I've been a Frank Thomas fan since he came into the league 12yrs ago I've supported him when almost all of my freinds said he's a cry baby, but to do what he did this year and all of sudden all of the fans that have booed Frank at the games are now screaming that Pauly said what he said. Ya know what Frank is not the player he was 3/4 years ago
and maybe Pauly & I think a number of the other players are fed up with his antics so what Pauly said what he did at least we have a ballplayer that has some passion to win and not worry about his stats- RIGHT NOW WHEN THE SOX COME BACK FRANK SHOULD KNOW THAT HES NOT GOING HIT .325 THIS YEAR SO GO UP THERE AND HIT FOR POWER AND R.B.I.'S WHO CARES IF YOU HIT .325 PROBABLY ONLY FRANK, It seems its still ONLY ABOUT FRANK WITH FRANK!
Go White Sox

raul12
07-10-2002, 02:02 PM

i havent been here in a few weeks or whatever but i am so pissed right now. First off frank should not be acting like this i mean its bull crap and he has to apologize and make up for this. But for Paul Konerko to have the audacity to freakkin speak out on frank thomas, is what pisses me off more. Frank thomas who has given this organization everything and never has once thought about leaving the sox organization. This dumb ass konerko thinks that just because he's having one pretty good half a season he can speak out. I mean if i was frank i would be apologizing for my actions but then i would ask why that ass konerko can talk out now but no one would back him up when david wells was calling him out last year on his injury. Isn't it also suprising how these southside fans are, we have frank who has given us about 9 great years and about 3 bad ones but has always stayed loyal to the team; even when the horse crap fans dont show up to the ballpark or boo his ass for nothing. And we have maggs who has given us 4 solid years and no mention of his butt. But with a half of a season Konerko is already proclaimed as the best player
Typical chicago for you

easy there tiger. paulie is probably still learning the ropes on what to say and what not to say...he's young. frank on the other hand has had plenty of years of experience and knows that the Chicago media will crucify him for anything even remotely hinting at displeasure--he of ALL people should try to make sure that he doesn't do anything to make it seem like he's pissed.

paulie is a matter-of-fact kind of guy--doesn't pull any punches, just tells it like it is. will he learn in time to be more selective of what he says? probably so. maggs--he's a quiet, private guy, plus his english is pretty poor--that's probably why he didn't say anything.

and like others have said...paulie has had more than one good half a season. granted, not early frank-type numbers, but damn good ones.

finally, i think that this all boils down to frustration for a team not playing up to expectations. winning is the best team-builder there is--and we're not doing it. no doubt, emotions are probably very high in the sox clubhouse right now, and things that would normally slide by, are exacerbated by the fact that people are frustrated.