PDA

View Full Version : The Curious Case of Brent Lillibridge

JermaineDye05
06-07-2011, 02:24 PM
As we've all seen over the past month+, Brent has been on a hot streak both defensively and offensively.

Are we all convinced that this is just a replacement level player having a good month, or is it at all possible that he's "figured it out?"

Now, he's certainly on pace to hit way more homers than I think he normally would in a full season. From the few I've seen, a lot have just made it, so he's certainly had luck on his side a bit.

He does have a very nice OBP through 38 games at .385 to go along with his .286 average.

If he continues this success to the end of the season, would you at all consider him to replace Pierre in LF and at the lead-off spot for next season?

Given the White Sox current financial situation, that may end up being the case.

EDIT: I just remembered we also have the Tank who looks like he deserves a chance. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Kenny dealt him.

kaufsox
06-07-2011, 02:32 PM
I think it's more the latter case than the former, he's a bench/marginal guy who is having a great stretch and I'm really happy about it. He seems to be really enjoying it and taking it all in. I think use greatest contribution to this team, or any other really, will be as a utility/4th OF. Might as well keep playing the hot hand.

Nellie_Fox
06-07-2011, 02:35 PM
I'd rather see him replace Rios in center.

FielderJones
06-07-2011, 02:37 PM
I'd rather see him replace Rios in center.

Right now Rios is the fourth outfielder, late inning defensive replacement. Keep it so unless Lillibridge really cools off.

BringHomeDaBacon
06-07-2011, 02:43 PM
He's probably not going to be an everyday player throughout his career. As you point out, he's a replacement level type player. THIS year, however, he's at the peak age of 27 so this is likely his career year. His power, speed and defense all seem to be clicking this year in his physical prime. I'm not sold on him as a long term answer anywhere but they should be giving him playing time THIS year as long as he remains effective. He wouldn't be the first player to have a good season (or two or three) during his prime years only to fade back into obscurity on the bench.

hawkjt
06-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Must keep him out there til he cools off.
He has shown signs of not being as hot,but with Rios going so bad, must stick with him. He did walk three times last nite and made a great play in center.
Long term...not so much as a regular. But a great utility guy is worth his weight in gold.

palehosepub
06-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Lilly is a 4th outfielder / reserve player who is hot now and you have to ride him.. He still can't hit a major league curveball as Brad Penny showed on Sunday...as long as he gets a fastball he can turn on it..

I think his outfield play and overall hustle adds a lot to a team that often looks sluggish or disinterested (see Rios, Alex), maybe that energy can be infectious.

thomas35forever
06-07-2011, 04:58 PM
I like what he's done recently, but I can't see this success sticking around long-term. He's a great utility player, but it's best for him to come off the bench. That's what's happened with Omar and it'll probably turn out the same way for Brent.

LITTLE NELL
06-07-2011, 05:11 PM
He may be over-achieving as a hitter but I think he is a damn good defensive player. I would love to see him have a breakout year with the bat and it just might be all he needs to build his confidence and goes on to have a nice career. Right now the center field job is his to lose.

palehozenychicty
06-07-2011, 06:39 PM
He may be over-achieving as a hitter but I think he is a damn good defensive player. I would love to see him have a breakout year with the bat and it just might be all he needs to build his confidence and goes on to have a nice career. Right now the center field job is his to lose.

I'll take that for $500, Alex.

I hope he can keep it up.

Dan H
06-07-2011, 07:01 PM
He's probably not going to be an everyday player throughout his career. As you point out, he's a replacement level type player. THIS year, however, he's at the peak age of 27 so this is likely his career year. His power, speed and defense all seem to be clicking this year in his physical prime. I'm not sold on him as a long term answer anywhere but they should be giving him playing time THIS year as long as he remains effective. He wouldn't be the first player to have a good season (or two or three) during his prime years only to fade back into obscurity on the bench.

What you say here makes a lot of sense. The Sox have nothing to lose by giving Lilibridge some playing time. We already have watch Dunn go for 0 for 4 every game. Do we have to watch Rios do the same?

BainesHOF
06-07-2011, 08:28 PM
I think you have to let the Lillibridge hot streak play itself out. It's possible that he continues playing great. If not, you enjoy it while it lasts.

What I thought was ridiculous was Ozzie panning his play when he said that if the team has to depend on Lillibridge then it has a problem. Screw you, Ozzie. Say something complimentary about the kid. Dismissing his contributions was pathetic.

soltrain21
06-07-2011, 09:01 PM
The only case you need to worry about with Lillibridge is how many cases he is going to have to purchase for all the awards he is going to win.