PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Harper's HR celebration

JermaineDye05
06-07-2011, 12:48 PM
He might not want to do this in the bigs.

Link (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/07/bryce-harper-kiss-home-run-video_n_872400.html)

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-07-2011, 01:00 PM
What character.

He does that in MLB, he better be ready to avoid a number of high-90s fastballs headed straight to his ribs.

DirtySox
06-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Bryce Harper is a young cocky douchebag. Has been since before he was drafted. News at 11.

soxfanatlanta
06-07-2011, 01:10 PM
That cheezy mustache :rolling:

Is he going for the Dread Pirate Roberts look?

WhiteSox5187
06-07-2011, 01:35 PM
He's going to get killed in the minors if he keeps this up. The Nationals told him that he couldn't wear that war paint eye black because he would "get killed" and earlier in the year a scout was saying he has a lot of talent but is so cocky that he runs a big risk of injury as pitchers don't take kindly to being shown up.

aryzner
06-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Wow.

If he did that in MLB, the pitcher might not even wait until he's up to bat again, he'd throw directly at him in the dugout. Jeez.

Over By There
06-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Certainly not condoning any of that BS (the pose, slow trot or blown kiss), but you have to imagine this kid gets a ton of trash thrown at him from the opposition. Saw this tweet from a BA contributor and it softened my stance a bit, although clearly Harper has to learn to ignore the provocations.

http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/70147669/DBAP_normal.JPGconorglassey Nathan Rode is SPOT ON: "Love how everyone talks about what Bryce Harper does and not what about opposing players do to provoke him."

Edit: PS, yes, I own Harper in the WSI Dynasty league. :redneck

Marqhead
06-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Who cares? Without people like Bryce Harper this game would be a lot more boring. I find him entertaining, as I'm sure I will when he gets his clock cleaned at the major league level.

Smooch on Bryce!

g0g0
06-07-2011, 03:00 PM
I guess I would be okay with it if he can back it up in the bigs, but the kid hasn't done jack **** yet at the highest level so it's moot. MJ could be an ******* whenever he wanted AFAIC because he earned it.

NOTE: See Ryan Leaf

Madvora
06-07-2011, 03:18 PM
I can't find anywhere where this video works.

Bucky F. Dent
06-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Where's Don Drysdale when you need him....

Nellie_Fox
06-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Without people like Bryce Harper this game would be a lot more boring.Really? The game itself isn't entertaining enough so you need people to act like idiots for entertainment?

thomas35forever
06-07-2011, 03:35 PM
He's gonna be the next Milton Bradley: plenty of power, zero class or good character.

SI1020
06-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Where's Don Drysdale when you need him.... I'm with you.

Marqhead
06-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Really? The game itself isn't entertaining enough so you need people to act like idiots for entertainment?

I'd rather have a few outward personalities sprinkled throughout the game than a bunch of tight laced, straight shooting robots. Players like Bryce Harper, like them or not, bring discussion and additional entertainment to the game.

The game itself is plenty entertaining for me, but additional story lines can sometimes be fun.

SI1020
06-07-2011, 03:43 PM
I'd rather have a few outward personalities sprinkled throughout the game than a bunch of tight laced, straight shooting robots. Players like Bryce Harper, like them or not, bring discussion and additional entertainment to the game.

The game itself is plenty entertaining for me, but additional story lines can sometimes be fun. If he blew a kiss at my pitcher at the very least he's eating some dirt next time up.

Marqhead
06-07-2011, 03:43 PM
He's gonna be the next Milton Bradley: plenty of power, zero class or good character.

He has yet to charge a broadcast booth, throw a chair in a tantrum or get into an altercation with an umpire, so I'll reserve my judgement.

Marqhead
06-07-2011, 03:44 PM
If he blew a kiss at my pitcher at the very least he's eating some dirt next time up.

If he's going to continue being an ass, he's going to take his lumps for sure. I'll enjoy watching it happen.

tstrike2000
06-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Looks like Harper blew the kiss in response to the pitcher staring him down after Harper decided to sit and admire his home run. Next time the arrogant punk comes up, throw high and tight.

guillensdisciple
06-07-2011, 05:05 PM
I was a pretty douchey player in High school, but I was a pitcher so in a way I always had leverage. I got hit, of course, but since I controlled that I would make sure they got what was coming to them if they hit me.

Grew up though, became mature, and less of a douche.

Either way, I think Harper will get clocked a couple of times and stop doing it. You can't be that dumb all the time.

DumpJerry
06-07-2011, 05:14 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/_photos/2003-05-30-sosa2-inside.jpg
Welcome to The Show.

Jollyroger2
06-07-2011, 05:31 PM
This whole thing's being blown out of porportion. The news keeps leaving out the part of what happened in the game the night before. On his first trip to the plate he gets drilled in the shin, and several opposing players waved and made comments to him as he limped back to his dugout at the end of the inning. A couple more taunted him as they passed his dugout during the rest of the game.

But Harper blows a kiss in retaliation and suddenly it's all over the news. Just sounds like young baseball players to me.

RockJock07
06-07-2011, 10:31 PM
This whole thing's being blown out of porportion. The news keeps leaving out the part of what happened in the game the night before. On his first trip to the plate he gets drilled in the shin, and several opposing players waved and made comments to him as he limped back to his dugout at the end of the inning. A couple more taunted him as they passed his dugout during the rest of the game.

But Harper blows a kiss in retaliation and suddenly it's all over the news. Just sounds like young baseball players to me.

Their are 2 sides to every story, if that's true it would feel pretty damn good to take their pitcher yard. Cheering because the opposing teams star is hurt is pretty bush IMO.

I don't know anything about Harper's personality but if this is on going I'll change my stance, he's still a kid so I'll cut him some slack on this.

06-07-2011, 11:06 PM
He's a kid, so I'm willing to cut him some slack. However, he needs to get some thicker skin cause these antics aren't going to fly in the majors.

Irishsox1
06-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Somebody should punish this guy.....like making him play for the Nationals!

DirtySox
06-08-2011, 12:03 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Bryce was provoked, but kid is by no means a saint. This isn't the first time he's made kissy faces at opposing pitchers/players. Go read all the pre-draft articles about his character issues.

doublem23
06-08-2011, 06:29 AM
He's a kid, so I'm willing to cut him some slack. However, he needs to get some thicker skin cause these antics aren't going to fly in the majors.

That's pretty much how I feel. Harper is what? 19? Can't expect him to keep his composure all the time since he's been coddled his whole life, but someone has to teach him to grow up a little bit before he gets killed.

pythons007
06-08-2011, 12:00 PM
That's pretty much how I feel. Harper is what? 19? Can't expect him to keep his composure all the time since he's been coddled his whole life, but someone has to teach him to grow up a little bit before he gets killed.

Exactly. What do you expect from a kid that was on the cover of of S.I. being labeled the "Chosen One" 2 years ago. This kid has been in headlines since he was 16 leaving high school early to enter the draft.

I love it, the media builds him up and then is trying to tear him down within 2 years.

I say give the kid some slack, I'm sure he has public relations people telling/agents telling him to bring it down a couple notches.

CLUBHOUSE KID
06-08-2011, 12:59 PM
I HATE it. At least blow a kiss not just kiss the air. I know if I was the pitcher I would be mad.

miker
06-08-2011, 04:38 PM
What if he would of actually kissed the pitcher...?

SephClone89
06-08-2011, 04:56 PM

Then he would have actually kissed the pitcher.

Sox
06-08-2011, 05:05 PM
It will definitely be interesting to see how this kids career plays out for sure. Maybe once he matures he'll start to realize that there are certain things in baseball that you just don't do....or he may end up being the player that everyone loves to hate. I'm sure we all at some point despised one certain player from another team for being a bit of a showboat.

Soxfest
06-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Bush league by Harper he will get his at some point.

kittle42
06-08-2011, 06:19 PM

Hey, if Morgana used to do it, why not Bryce Harper?

PeteWard
06-09-2011, 02:34 AM

The game itself is plenty entertaining for me, but additional story lines can sometimes be fun.

He's just a dick.

soxinem1
06-09-2011, 11:39 AM

Being a douche bag showboat will not make him many pals. His cockiness is well evident from his past exploits.

To be colorful and eccentric is one thing. To be a total jagoff for no reason just causes problems.

I somehow get the feeling that the term 'team player' is not in his vocabulary.

And you better believe, if he so much as hits below .300 in MLB fans and players alike will let him know.

Don Drysdale, Pedro Martinez, and Bob Gibson, where are you?

Marqhead
06-09-2011, 12:15 PM
He's just a dick.

And an entertaining one at that.

Being a douche bag showboat will not make him many pals. His cockiness is well evident from his past exploits.

To be colorful and eccentric is one thing. To be a total jagoff for no reason just causes problems.

Well if you read some of the other posts in this thread, it sounds like he may have no even instigated the event. If that's the case, I have no problem with how he acts afterwards.

If he comes into the MLB and mashes people will love him no matter how big of a jagoff he is. If he comes to the MLB and sucks ass, it'll be even funnier to watch given how he's the "anointed one". Win-win from my perspective.

thomas35forever
08-11-2011, 12:40 PM
More antics from Harper.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110811&content_id=23069702&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

doublem23
08-11-2011, 12:55 PM
More antics from Harper.
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110811&content_id=23069702&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Having watched the video of the incident (on Deadspin), the call looked to be pretty terrible. As for his "antics" (:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:), for Christ's sake, he just threw his helmet on the ground and yelled at the ump. Shocking behavior from a baseball player!!!!

WhiteSox5187
08-11-2011, 12:57 PM
More antics from Harper.

Bryce Harper is a cocky little jerk, but his actions here aren't too surprising. I have seen a lot of guys do that.

skobabe8
08-14-2011, 01:05 PM
So are we deciding that this guy is the next villain? Is that what we are being told to do?

HomeFish
08-15-2011, 12:05 AM
I'm much more upset by his decision to stand in the batters box and watch the home run than I am by blowing the kiss.

Put your head down and run to first base. Once you know you've actually hit a home run, then you can celebrate. Also maybe wait to get out of A ball before you decide that you're all that.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-15-2011, 02:38 AM
So are we deciding that this guy is the next villain? Is that what we are being told to do?

No, this guy was a tool even through college, he just never got really called out on it much. Now that he's in the big leagues, his antics are going to be more scrutinized.

If anyone's deciding that he's the next villain, it's Harper himself.

doublem23
08-15-2011, 08:22 AM
No, this guy was a tool even through college, he just never got really called out on it much. Now that he's in the big leagues, his antics are going to be more scrutinized.

If anyone's deciding that he's the next villain, it's Harper himself.

Oh please, the guy's 18 years old, and news flash: everyone is a stupid douchebag when they're 18. Remember how much everyone loved Jose Valentin blowing Sammy Sosa-esque kisses during a Crosstown Game 10 or so years ago? Same difference.

Sure, Harper is a cocky little ****, but he backs it up big time. 18 years old and playing real well in AA? This kid has been told he's hot **** his whole life, no wonder he's got an ego, but really, what has he done? Poked fun a team that started crap with him and then yell at an ump for making a terrible call? These are all things we would love if AJ or TCQ did, but since it's Bryce Harper, he's supposed to act like a refined gentleman at all times, right?

pythons007
08-15-2011, 09:19 AM
That pitch was in the other batter's box! It wasn't even close, any batter would have reacted that way.