PDA

View Full Version : IF IF IF the Sox were to become BUYERs at the deadline ...

Moses_Scurry
06-07-2011, 09:57 AM
What would you do? I'll put this in WTS so it doesn't get as blasted as it probably would in the Clubhouse. I know there is a fairly large contingent that wants to rebuild, and I know it is still too early, so this is all hypothetical. However, with the recent good play of the Sox and slide of the Indians, they are now only 6 games back with plenty of baseball left. What are the likely upgrades they could or would make at the deadline if everyone played close to what they are doing now?

It is hard to find a clear answer. The obvious positions for upgrade currently are being blocked by two huge salaries. Unless KW can magically move one of the contracts, there will probably not be an upgrade at CF or DH. Hopefully, Done and Rios can hit a hot streak and we will have our CF and DH upgrade.

With Beckham and Morel improving along with the good play of Omar, 3B and 2B are not in need of upgrades. If they can find a good 3B in the last year of his contract, then maybe.

Rotation seems set. If they can find a a young upgrade with more than one year left that could take over when Buehrle/Jackson leave next year, that might be an option. Trading Jackson and replacing him with said upgrade would be nice.

Bullpen is starting to look solid, but can always have minor additions. With AJ being signed through next year, they probably wouldn't get a catcher unless it is a prospect on the verge that would be ready in a couple years (Flowers 2.0).

Of course, with the current state of the farm system, most trades are pure fantasy unless the Sox are taking on more salary.

mantis1212
06-07-2011, 10:41 AM
I believe KW when he says there's no more money to spend on players this year. Attendance is way down and they've spent a great deal on the team already.

I guess if I could do one thing it would be to replace either the lead-off man or the DH.

russ99
06-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Kenny would have to deal someone away in order to bring help in at the deadline. And we'd need to be pretty close to first place at the time for the Chairman to OK that.

Maybe they can trade Jackson (if Peavy can give us a healthy month) for prospects, then have $8M to add a piece.

I guess if I could do one thing it would be to replace either the lead-off man or the DH.

Dunn's not going anywhere, and we don't have the prospects to go after any of the potentially available elite leadoff options. I wonder if the Yankees would go for Jackson for Gardner?

IMO, if Kenny's in the position to add players, we'd add another reliever, and a young, athletic outfielder.

BringHomeDaBacon
06-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Kenny would have to deal someone away in order to bring help in at the deadline. And we'd need to be pretty close to first place at the time for the Chairman to OK that.

Maybe they can trade Jackson (if Peavy can give us a healthy month) for prospects, then have $8M to add a piece.

Dunn's not going anywhere, and we don't have the prospects to go after any of the potentially available elite leadoff options. I wonder if the Yankees would go for Jackson for Gardner?

IMO, if Kenny's in the position to add players, we'd add another reliever, and a young, athletic outfielder.

I don't know if Jackson would suffice but I REALLY like your idea.

guillensdisciple
06-07-2011, 11:35 AM
I think, because I doubt he signs a contract with us, you must trade Danks and finally get something good in return for him. We can get a solid prospect or two for him.

Moses_Scurry
06-07-2011, 11:55 AM
I think, because I doubt he signs a contract with us, you must trade Danks and finally get something good in return for him. We can get a solid prospect or two for him.

But would you do that if the Sox were 1 game out of first at the deadline? Unless they get upgrades that help the team in 2011, I don't see Kenny doing that. Obviously if they are far back at the deadline it becomes a different story.

FielderJones
06-07-2011, 12:05 PM
If the Sox are in it at the trading deadline then starting pitching is untouchable. We don't know if Peavy is going to hold up, so keeping a six-man rotation that might turn five-man at any moment is key.

Frankly, I think we're stuck with the team we have. If Dunn and Rios can't turn it around then we have an expensive bench we can't unload, and other players need to start.

Noneck
06-07-2011, 12:19 PM
IF the Sox are in the hunt at the trading deadline, that would mean that players would have had to have made a dramatic turnaround in less than 2 months. IF this did happen, that would mean the Sox would not need additional help unless injuries would occur.

doublem23
06-07-2011, 12:31 PM
I believe KW when he says there's no more money to spend on players this year. Attendance is way down and they've spent a great deal on the team already.

Attendance is up compared to 2010 at this point of the season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/current_attendance.shtml

DSpivack
06-07-2011, 01:08 PM
I don't know if Jackson would suffice but I REALLY like your idea.

Gardner isn't a big improvement over Pierre, don't see the point of that trade.

Lip Man 1
06-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Since the change in attendance is 40 per game on the plus side according to that story. I'd say things are probably the "same" in a practical sense.

And considering how badly they have played at home and how bad the weather has been, I'd think the organization is very happy that's the case and that they aren't down a few thousand fans a game compared to last year.

Lip

Zisk77
06-07-2011, 01:40 PM
If we had the money, maybe get Michael Young (with Texas still eating a bunch of the salary). Send Morel down for consistent PT. Then Trade Young (With a now tradeable contract) to the Cards or another team for prospects in the off season. Have Young hit 2 move Alexie to 5.

Heath Bell or other bp arm would be good as well. The question would be who sets up, Bell Or Santos?

doublem23
06-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Since the change in attendance is 40 per game on the plus side according to that story. I'd say things are probably the "same" in a practical sense.

And considering how badly they have played at home and how bad the weather has been, I'd think the organization is very happy that's the case and that they aren't down a few thousand fans a game compared to last year.

Lip

Well you're free to spin the numbers however you'd like to make them work for whatever little doomsday scenario you'd like to dream up, the point is, however, that compared to last year, when the Sox drew just a hair under 2.2 million fans to the Cell, they're on track to either repeat or best that performance at the gate.

Should also note that the change in attendance has been coming up recently, too, as late as the past homestand, the Sox were hundreds of fans under the 2010 to-game comparison. So, not only are the Sox currently besting their 2010 attendance numbers, but they're also tracking upward, as well.

Bucky F. Dent
06-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Kenny Lofton is available.

DSpivack
06-07-2011, 02:36 PM
If we had the money, maybe get Michael Young (with Texas still eating a bunch of the salary). Send Morel down for consistent PT. Then Trade Young (With a now tradeable contract) to the Cards or another team for prospects in the off season. Have Young hit 2 move Alexie to 5.

Heath Bell or other bp arm would be good as well. The question would be who sets up, Bell Or Santos?

Who do you think we have that we can give up to get Michael Young, and what makes you think we have the cash available to pay his salary? Also, if the Rangers take on salary, they'd want quality prospects in return; if we took on his whole salary, then the Sox wouldn't have to give up that much. That said, I don't see the Sox being able to either add on to payroll nor do they have quality down on the farm to give up in return. Even if the Sox are in the race around the trade deadline, it's hard to see them acquiring any player of note, let alone a top-flight closer who would demand much in return.

soltrain21
06-07-2011, 03:18 PM

This was posted today and you are wondering if Santos should be removed from closer or not?!

DSpivack
06-07-2011, 04:16 PM
This was posted today and you are wondering if Santos should be removed from closer or not?!

Well, IF we traded for Heath Bell. I think that's a reasonable hypothetical [though I see no way we trade for him].

Over By There
06-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Who all is still playing from the late-90's Indians clubs?

Frater Perdurabo
06-07-2011, 08:19 PM
We're already getting better because:

Alexei started hitting better earlier than he usually does;

Beckham and Morel are hitting better;

We're getting strong starting pitching;

Santos has established himself as closer and Crain as setup man.

If Rios and/or Dunn improve, it will be like acquiring an impact player.

The best place to upgrade is the bullpen. Give me another RH reliever, preferably with previous closing experience, so we can dump Pena.

Daver
06-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Trade deadline deals are made by teams looking to shed payroll to teams that are in the thick of the hunt, these teams do not want to add payroll, they want to shed it. The White Sox have done a good job of keeping the little cheap talent they have attractive, letting Dayan play in Charlotte as opposed to learning to actually play an outfield position in Birmingham is producing gaudy numbers, albeit twisted by the bandbox that is Knights field, and Jordan Danks is able to use his warning track power to help his average in Birmingham.

I just don't know how much you have to add to this questionable talent to bring back anything of quality in return, it may actually take a six for one deal to make anything happen that would make an impact.

KRS1
06-07-2011, 10:10 PM
and Jordan Danks is able to use his warning track power to help his average in Birmingham.

He's actually in Charlotte this year, using the bandbox to have a very good year slugging.

Zisk77
06-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Who do you think we have that we can give up to get Michael Young, and what makes you think we have the cash available to pay his salary? Also, if the Rangers take on salary, they'd want quality prospects in return; if we took on his whole salary, then the Sox wouldn't have to give up that much. That said, I don't see the Sox being able to either add on to payroll nor do they have quality down on the farm to give up in return. Even if the Sox are in the race around the trade deadline, it's hard to see them acquiring any player of note, let alone a top-flight closer who would demand much in return.

I'm well aware of the reality, but this is an if, if, if thread. There would still be guys in our system that Texas would be interested in for a disgruntled Young. Viciedo, Mitchell, Morel, etc. Not That I think it would be a good idea to get rid of them.

Tragg
06-07-2011, 11:17 PM
With Beckham and Morel improving along with the good play of Omar, 3B and 2B are not in need of upgrades. If they can find a good 3B in the last year of his contract, then maybe.

Not maybe - NO.
We will never get anywhere if we don't yet talented young players play.
We need quality outfielders...unlikely at the deadline, but possible I suppose. A pitcher is our only trade commodity-with Peavy on the DL, we don't even have that.
Williams' trades have been awful lately, so I'm generally leery.

SoxSpeed22
06-07-2011, 11:20 PM
I'm against trading Viciedo for anyone but an All-Star caliber player. If Heath Bell was one of them, I would make that trade.
I wish there was some way to get rid of Rios, but I don't see any.

DSpivack
06-08-2011, 12:11 AM
I'm well aware of the reality, but this is an if, if, if thread. There would still be guys in our system that Texas would be interested in for a disgruntled Young. Viciedo, Mitchell, Morel, etc. Not That I think it would be a good idea to get rid of them.

Sorry to be the debbie downer/realist. :tongue:

You think Mitchell has much value now?

DirtySox
06-08-2011, 12:14 AM

No one wants Mitchell right now. Not sure why we would trade Morel. Viciedo is the only legitimate bullet this team has to acquire any impact talent. The Sox might be able to make a lesser splash with some other pieces though.

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2011, 05:34 AM
Texas didn't trade Young during the offseason, and they have no reason to do so now. I'd love to have him on the Sox, but the Rangers won't deal him this season unless they completely collapse. And even then, he has 10-5 rights.

Jurr
06-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Trading Dunn and Rios would be considering "BUYING", wouldn't it? :tongue:

broker3d
06-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Attendance is up compared to 2010 at this point of the season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/current_attendance.shtml

Uh, look again. Attendance is down, granted only slightly. It's down by only 441/game, 13,665 total. We will call that a wash.

doublem23
06-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Uh, look again. Attendance is down, granted only slightly. It's down by only 441/game, 13,665 total. We will call that a wash.

Yes, that spreadsheet is updated daily, when I posted it, attendance was up.

Falstaff
06-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Kenny Lofton is available.
Isn't it time for ROBERTO ALOMAR to the rescue?

Frater Perdurabo
06-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Isn't it time for ROBERTO ALOMAR to the rescue?

Carl Everett?

A. Cavatica
06-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Geoff Blum is probably the only good deadline deal KW's made.

Lip Man 1
06-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Everett wasn't a bad one as shown by the numbers he put up in 2005.

Lip

Brian26
06-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Everett wasn't even really a deadline deal either time he was acquired (early July '03 and I think late June '04 after he went to Montreal in the offseason).

Very few deadline deals really put a team over the top.