PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf: Sox are best team in division

doublem23
06-07-2011, 09:30 AM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/sports/chi-reinsdorf-we-have-the-best-team-in-the-division-20110607,0,5213729.story

Also says he's happy with Ozzie and KW and expects both to be back in 2012.

Fireworks... Begin...

Moses_Scurry
06-07-2011, 09:35 AM
If they end up the best team in the division, then I have no problem with KW and/or OG being back in 2012.

FielderJones
06-07-2011, 09:36 AM
I approve The Chairman's confidence. :thumbsup: The Sox will turn things around.

Noneck
06-07-2011, 09:37 AM
What else is he going to say? This team is a disgrace, Dunn is done, no reason to buy tickets to see this train wreck. This guy didnt become an extremely rich sports mogul by being stupid.

FielderJones
06-07-2011, 09:39 AM
no reason to buy tickets to see this train wreck.

I've enjoyed 3 wins at the 3 games I've attended this year. I will probably attend at least 3 more.

Noneck
06-07-2011, 09:40 AM
I've enjoyed 3 wins at the 3 games I've attended this year. I will probably attend at least 3 more.

My point was no way he would say those things. He is promoting his product.

BringHomeDaBacon
06-07-2011, 09:44 AM

3 for 3? Please get your rear out to many more, starting tonight!!

I approve of JR's vote of confidence for Dunn - he needs it.

guillensdisciple
06-07-2011, 09:47 AM

I have seen 3 and have enjoyed exactly 3 losses.

I will probably attend one more, because it makes for a good date.

FielderJones
06-07-2011, 09:51 AM
3 for 3? Please get your rear out to many more, starting tonight!!

I approve of JR's vote of confidence for Dunn - he needs it.

I am available to take any WSI season ticket holder's extras :wink:

johnny bench
06-07-2011, 09:57 AM
He's putting his mouth where is money is.

balke
06-07-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm not of the exact opinion - but I think the Tigers aren't much better. They have a Twins.-sized lead on the Sox for this time of year. Would've been nice to close that gap at the cell.

Bucky F. Dent
06-07-2011, 10:25 AM
The Sox have the best talent in the division. Over the course of the first two and a half months of the season they have been far from the best team in the division.

Brian26
06-07-2011, 10:25 AM
What else is he going to say?

"We're never going to catch Cleveland."

PorkChopExpress
06-07-2011, 10:40 AM
The Sox have the best talent in the division. Over the course of the first two and a half months of the season they have been far from the best team in the division.

I hear/read this a lot. What makes people say this? Is it just a knee-jerk reaction because we paid the most for our talent, or do people honestly believe we have the most talent. I'm not intending to single you out BD, but I am honestly curious because I look at that Tigers team and I see a lot of talent as well, and hell, the Twins, Indians and Royals have talent too. Who is it on the Sox that makes them the most talented?

Lip Man 1
06-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Brian:

Well played sir !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:

Time will tell if they are the best team in the division or not...they were the best team in 2001, probably 2003 and 2006 too.

Lip

asindc
06-07-2011, 11:20 AM
I hear/read this a lot. What makes people say this? Is it just a knee-jerk reaction because we paid the most for our talent, or do people honestly believe we have the most talent. I'm not intending to single you out BD, but I am honestly curious because I look at that Tigers team and I see a lot of talent as well, and hell, the Twins, Indians and Royals have talent too. Who is it on the Sox that makes them the most talented?

Just compare the Sox roster to the rosters of the other division teams, position by position. When people say the Sox have the most talent in the division, that is not meant to say the other teams don't have talent. Talent as distinguished from performance, by the way. For instance, does anyone really think Joakim Soria is the least talented closer in the division?

JermaineDye05
06-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Reinsdorf has lost it.

JermaineDye05
06-07-2011, 12:52 PM

They've had that for years, but for whatever reason (bad coaching staff?) they've always been about a .500 team.

Nellie_Fox
06-07-2011, 01:09 PM
What else is he going to say? This team is a disgrace, Dunn is done, no reason to buy tickets to see this train wreck. This guy didnt become an extremely rich sports mogul by being stupid.He didn't have to say anything.

billcissell
06-07-2011, 01:18 PM
A vote of confidence from the Chairman. He ponied up big dollars during the off-season, and now he is expecting a return on his investment. No real surprise. He figures this team is going to get hot with the glut of home games coming up and the weather heating up.

Best team in the division? Probably on paper. But performance is another matter. So far we've been "outperformed" by Cleveland and possibly Detroit.

Dunn and Rios have put a big strain on the offensive output. Reinsdorf is counting on these two slugs coming around and producing like they should in the coming months.

Time will tell ...

Nellie_Fox
06-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Dunn and Rios have put a big strain on the offensive output. Reinsdorf is counting on these two slugs coming around and producing like they should in the coming months.

Time will tell ...I've pretty much lost all hope for Rios. He has had only a short period of productivity since he's been with the Sox, and was obviously struggling with Toronto before they put him on waivers. Additionally, he doesn't seem to be willing to make any changes in his approach. He's still using that awkward looking stance with his hands at his waist. Lillibridge has been much, much better.

I was not in favor of getting Dunn in the first place, but I haven't yet lost all hope that he'll start to produce. I'm skeptical, but not yet convinced that he's going to be this bad for the entire season.

BigKlu59
06-07-2011, 01:37 PM
A vote of confidence from the Chairman. He ponied up big dollars during the off-season, and now he is expecting a return on his investment. No real surprise. He figures this team is going to get hot with the glut of home games coming up and the weather heating up.

Best team in the division? Probably on paper. But performance is another matter. So far we've been "outperformed" by Cleveland and possibly Detroit.

Time will tell ...

Agree... This team going into each season have had the personel to COMPETE at a high level. There has always been an "Achilles Heel" that brings them down. Great hitting, Closers that Suck... Great pitching, they suck with RISP and lose opportunities to put teams away early or late..

To tell you the truth, we are in a pretty good spot considering they **** the bed so badly in April and early May... They just cant afford to go on a prolonged skid and blow up this season...

I've quit agnsting about Dunn.. Rios? If he hits Mendoza the rest of the way out it will be acceptable.. Just move some people along..

And yes, The Reinmiester is cheerleading... he still has to put butts in seats and if he keeps the number close to 30K a game the bleeding wont be so bad.... The Sox can take this division,or a WC berth..

Keep the Keep the Faith !!!

BK59

TheOldRoman
06-07-2011, 01:45 PM
I've pretty much lost all hope for Rios. He has had only a short period of productivity since he's been with the Sox, and was obviously struggling with Toronto before they put him on waivers. Additionally, he doesn't seem to be willing to make any changes in his approach. He's still using that awkward looking stance with his hands at his waist. Lillibridge has been much, much better.

I was not in favor of getting Dunn in the first place, but I haven't yet lost all hope that he'll start to produce. I'm skeptical, but not yet convinced that he's going to be this bad for the entire season.Based on what? Have there been articles which mentioned the Sox wanted him to change his stance? I thought Walker was all about "do what you have always done" in terms of batting stances?

pudge
06-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Did you guys see the part where he says (paraphrasing) "I don't know that Dunn will recover to his normal average from where he is now..." That's pretty funny considering his "normal average" is .248 and he has had seasons of .215, .233 and .234. I feel like I let myself get burned by the type of baseball player I just despise. I figured, as we all probably did, small park, homerun hitter, what's not to like? Maybe the 200 strikeouts a year... What's even more interesting, I didn't realize he was more of a 35-40 HR a year guy and not a 45-50 HR a year guy. I don't know, I'd love to be proven wrong, but if this club doesn't turn out to be a playoff team, I don't know how you don't make at least some changes.

Noneck
06-07-2011, 02:20 PM
He didn't have to say anything.

No he didnt, but confidence from the top can only help sales, it cant hurt.

Hitmen77
06-07-2011, 02:24 PM
In the end, Detroit will be the team to catch to win this division. I think the 6 game deficit vs. Cleveland is much more likely to be overcome than our current 4.5 game deficit vs. the Tigers.

Too bad the Sox crapped their pants in 5 of 6 games vs. the Tigers. That's a huge swing in the standings right there. If the Sox are going to treat the Tigers like they're the new Twins (we can't beat them) then forget about this season. They also seem to be making Ryan ".201" Raburn the new Nick Punto.

If the Sox are going to make a serious run for the playoffs, something has to give with Rios and Dunn. There's no way we're going to be serious contenders with 2 Mendoza guys in the heart of our lineup. Either those guys are going to snap out of it, or the Sox are going to have to seriously cut into their playing time and see how far Lillibridge and Viciedo can go as regulars.

I'm more confident of Dunn snapping out of it...though this isn't based on anything Adam is doing at the plate right now. Like Nellie said, Rios has been here nearly 2 years now and he was only good for the first few months of last year before he faded badly in the 2nd half. Plus his stance looks very awkward. Is that how he looked at the plate when he was an All Star at Toronto?

thomas35forever
06-07-2011, 03:22 PM
While I admire the Chairman's optimism, I just can't have that much confidence yet. Just like every Sox team of the past few years (even '08), the 2011 version is consistently inconsistent. I have a hard time believing that what Rios and Dunn do the rest of the year won't matter where we finish in the standings. It'll matter big time. The fact that so many proven veterans on this team go into deep funks is a huge reason why we've never been able to stay in first place once we get there.

Nellie_Fox
06-07-2011, 03:24 PM
No he didnt, but confidence from the top can only help sales, it cant hurt.My response was to the "what do you expect him to say?" dismissal of the comment. He could have said nothing, he didn't have to be supportive. So, his choosing to make a statement of support does have meaning.

TDog
06-07-2011, 04:26 PM
My response was to the "what do you expect him to say?" dismissal of the comment. He could have said nothing, he didn't have to be supportive. So, his choosing to make a statement of support does have meaning.

He could have said "no comment." It appears he was asked a question. It doesn't appear that this was a news release or a statement issued in a press conference.

And, seriously, the White Sox aren't the team they were in April. The team they were in April is why they are below .500 and six games out of first place. In the fist two weeks of the season, the Sox lost four games because of bad ninth-inning relief, compounded by bad outfield defense. Is there anyone out there who believes that a three-run lead in the ninth is not safe for the White Sox in June.

Dunn and Rios were problems in April. They continue to be problems. Maybe Lillibridge will light a fire under Rios. Maybe Lillibridge will play so well that he won't have to. Everyone seems to believe that Dunn eventually will come around.

By the way, it was anyone who thinks we're going to catch the Indians is crazy. That was said with the Sox down by 3.5 games at the end of July. And Reinsdorf was vilified for it. This team has better starting pitching and a better closer. It also plays in a much weaker division.

palehozenychicty
06-07-2011, 05:04 PM
"We're never going to catch Cleveland."

Zing! :redneck

Noneck
06-07-2011, 05:09 PM
My response was to the "what do you expect him to say?" dismissal of the comment. He could have said nothing, he didn't have to be supportive. So, his choosing to make a statement of support does have meaning.

I think we are in agreement.