PDA

View Full Version : And the White Sox First Pick in the 2011 Draft...

Brian26
06-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Greg Walker's son.

Keenyn Walker.

OF from Central Arizona CC.

Lamp81
06-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Are you kidding me? I'd like to see where he was slotted by non-White Sox scouts.

After all of the controversy of Schueler's Daughter, and the Williams & Guillen Sons, we draft another in Walker's kid.

I'd like to re-assign Greg to the Minor League system as a roving hitting instructor. That way he'll be able to follow his son's career closer.

skobabe8
06-06-2011, 11:30 PM
I want to get angry, but I'll wait to hear from the scouts first. Maybe he was the best available.

JermaineDye05
06-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Greg Walker's son.

Keenyn Walker.

Are you positive?

I said that as a joke in the draft thread.

DSpivack
06-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Are you kidding me? I'd like to see where he was slotted by non-White Sox scouts.

After all of the controversy of Schueler's Daughter, and the Williams & Guillen Sons, we draft another in Walker's kid.

I'd like to re-assign Greg to the Minor League system as a roving hitting instructor. That way he'll be able to follow his son's career closer.

He was kidding. I don't think it's literally Greg Walker's son.

But it was a bit of an overdraft, apparently.

EMachine10
06-06-2011, 11:32 PM
He is most certainly NOT Greg Walker's son.

FielderJones
I thought they were going to go after pitching. :scratch:

DirtySox

He isn't Walkers kid. He's a toolsy, raw, OF in JUCO ball with many holes in his game. Baseball America had him ranked as the 92nd best draft prospect.

More can be read in the draft thread.

Lamp81
06-06-2011, 11:37 PM

Thankfully, you were kidding me. But the part of Greg Walker being the Minor Leage hitting instructor stands.

Soxfest
06-06-2011, 11:44 PM
The scouting dept is a total joke this pick is terrible over reach again! Is Arizona and initials of KW the only OF we can draft!

Brian26
06-06-2011, 11:46 PM
According to Laumann, this kid compares to Devon White.

Edit - Laumann, you goof.

Brian26
06-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Youtube comments say he was drafted in the 16th round in '09 by CHI NL.

U_u8en2vlXw

TDog
06-06-2011, 11:59 PM

He was drafted by the Phillies last year when he wasn't believed to have any interest in signing, and he didn't sign. He might not sign with the Sox as he is committed to Utah after two years in the Arizona Community College system.

Tragg
06-07-2011, 12:17 AM
It's hard to get excited about a pick that is a clear reach per objective draft analysts and scouting report, given the recent poor record at talent evaluation by Ken Williams and the Sox organization.

Foulke You
06-07-2011, 01:18 AM
There just aren't going to be any Gordon Beckhams or Chris Sales where we drafted this year. When you draft at #47, you get the guys that are left over.

DumpJerry
06-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Greg Walker's son.

Keenyn Walker.

:tealpolice:

Don't quit your day job.

Madvora
06-07-2011, 08:49 AM

U_u8en2vlXw

Now that is a clip worth watching!

DumpJerry
06-07-2011, 08:58 AM

U_u8en2vlXw
So, he's the next TCQ? A HBP is just as good as a single, right?

white sox bill
06-07-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm tellin' ya, that Arizona Jr College League is a breeding ground for MLB players!!

Railsplitter
06-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Will the sox have to re-draft him after two years at U of Utah?

Two years of college ball might do this guy some good.

Procol Harum
06-07-2011, 09:17 AM

U_u8en2vlXw

That clip sinks it for me--move over Tris Speaker, the HOF is breaking ground for the Keenyn Walker wing Thursday morning....

hawkjt
06-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Heard an interview with a guy from Baseball Prospectus on the Score this morning,and he seemed to like Walker's upside. Said that the Sox have been guilty of drafting low ceiling guys like Broadway in the past but this guy could end up being very good,altho raw now. Seems to think that the Sox have adopted a different philosophy the last couple of years and are no longer drafting ''boring''.

Lip Man 1
06-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Phil Rogers this morning has already written a column talking about how the Sox might regret not keeping their 1st round draft pick and signing Dunn.

I'll say this for Phil he's consistent, he strongly believes the only way an organization can have long term success is to build through the draft and not sign a lot of high priced free agents.

What Phil continues to fail to understand is the following:

1. White Sox fans in general, especially after 2005, will no longer stand for 'five year rebuilding plans.' basically seeing kids lose 90+ games a year. Even with a smaller payroll, the franchise would lose a ton of money because very few fans would pay to see that.

2. The minor league system has been in shambles for years., Suddenly the same group of folks which ran that into the ground is going to have an awakening and build a strong system? Probably not going to happen Phil.

3. The current coaching staff especially Ozzie has said often to the mainstream media that (paraphrasing) "we're here to win, not develop kids. This is the big leagues." Yet Phil thinks this staff would be successful grooming young talent.

Despite a lot of recent blunders by Kenny the past few years (and one of the reasons he needs to be moved to an advisory position) your chances of some success are still greater playing the game his way as opposed to Phil's way in my opinion.

Especially with a fan base that doesn't think losing is (as Pale Hose George has written) "cute and cuddly..."

Lip

SoxNation05
06-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Greg Walker is white.....

doublem23
06-07-2011, 06:33 PM

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41565_117535964965137_5406_n.jpg
Dat's da joke.

Hitmen77
06-08-2011, 08:37 AM

1. I've never heard of Keenyn Walker before and didn't know he was black.

2. Sadly, given the Sox history on wasting draft picks on relatives, I actually thought the OP was being serious. (...and that tells you how much confidence I have in the Sox competence in drafting players).

fisk4ever
06-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Now that is a clip worth watching!

As Jack Brickhouse optimistically put it, "A hit batsman would load first base."