all*star quentin
06-06-2011, 09:35 PM
w :)

doublem23
06-06-2011, 09:35 PM
kM7C_yNlCLU

guillensdisciple
06-06-2011, 09:36 PM
We're 6 games back in this division after being as far back as 11 a month ago. That's absolutely astonishing and we're 4 games under .500.

I fear Minnesota and we have to play them soon.

Can't say anything of confidence until this team begins playing well against divisional foes. Had a good May and June off to a 3-2 start. Have to keep on plugging away.

LongLiveFisk
Very happy for John...he should definitely have a few more than he does.

Nice win! :bandance:

Jollyroger2
Despite the valiant efforts of Dunn to lose another game for us, the rest of the team made up for it and got the W. Cleveland lost again too.

PushinWeight
Wish White Sox closers would have more saves like that one! Quick and painless!

mzh
06-06-2011, 09:37 PM
I got to admit, I'm really starting to feel bad for Adam Dunn. I had a chance to sit in seats right next to the Sox dugout, and despite just missing an absolute bomb HR, every time he struck out he just looked kind of confused heading back to the dugout. I don't think he knows what going on any more than we do.

Good win. Good Danks showed up at the right time. One game at a time.

October26
06-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Congrats to Johnny Danks for getting his first win. Finally. YES!:bandance:

KnightSox
06-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Very happy for John...he should definitely have a few more than he does.

Nice win! :bandance:He should have about six more.

Soxman219
06-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Steadily moving up the .500 mark. That's the good news, however, Dunn are you alive?:poke:

MARTINMVP
06-06-2011, 09:40 PM
I got to admit, I'm really starting to feel bad for Adam Dunn. I had a chance to sit in seats right next to the Sox dugout, and despite just missing an absolute bomb HR, every time he struck out he just looked kind of confused heading back to the dugout. I don't think he knows what going on any more than we do.

Good win. Good Danks showed up at the right time. One game at a time.

Chris Rongey on The Score says it best -- players know when they are in a slump. For as mad as we get, they feel 10 times worse about it. You can only "try so hard." It just has to happen. Eventually, I think it will for Adam Dunn. Until then, it won't be easy for us to watch, and it sure won't be easy on him.

ShooterMcGavin
06-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Danks with his 1st win of the season.

Beckham had a HUGE 2-out RBI single late in the game.

Lillibridge had 3 walks and a fantastic catch in center field.

Quentin leading the league in doubles.

Nice job by Guillen with the pitching decisions: Danks-Crain-Santos. Also a nice decision by Guillen to pinch run Rios for Quentin after Q's double. That led to Rios scoring an insurance run on AJP's single.

johnnyg83
06-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Nice job by Guillen with the pitching decisions: Danks-Crain-Santos.

really the only way to go when it's close

JB98
06-06-2011, 09:48 PM
We're 6 games back in this division after being as far back as 11 a month ago. That's absolutely astonishing and we're 4 games under .500.

Can't say anything of confidence until this team begins playing well against divisional foes. Had a good May and June off to a 3-2 start. Have to keep on plugging away.

Why? They are horse****. Even horse**** teams having winning streaks.

The biggest problem is our own team. The Sox played well tonight. Can they ever get any consistency?

ShooterMcGavin
06-06-2011, 09:52 PM
really the only way to go when it's close

I agree. I shouldn't give Guillen too much credit for using Crain and Santos in the win. Guillen did pick the right time to pull Danks, which takes some skill.

Since Guillen sometimes goes against perfect reason, I will give him credit when he does make the right--if obvious--decisions.

SoxSpeed22
I know the Mariners lineup sucks, but I like this Danks who doesn't nibble his pitch count. I also like this Beckham instead of the one who started in April.
Winning is always good.

SoxSpeed22

The biggest problem is our own team. The Sox played well tonight. Can they ever get any consistency?I'm more concerned about the Sox turning into a horse**** team when the Twins show up and they still find ways to lose to them.

MountainCur
06-06-2011, 09:58 PM

i do too.

it would not surprise me at all if sometime in late july the twinkies are sitting in 1stplace.

Nelfox02
06-06-2011, 09:58 PM
nice to see a W......still have a shot (albeit slim) of having the 7-3 homestand I was hoping for going in.

Losing that Tiger series still stings tho.........

GREAT catch by the Lillibeast tonight.....guy is making the most of his oppurtunity for sure

tough one with King Felix tomorrow......

asindc
06-06-2011, 10:01 PM
i do too.

it would not surprise me at all if sometime in late july the twinkies are sitting in 1stplace.

Why? They suck. Even with Mauer, they are no better than the 3rd best team in the division.

JB98
06-06-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm more concerned about the Sox turning into a horse**** team when the Twins show up and they still find ways to lose to them.

Like I said, the biggest problem is our own team.

The Twins are terrible this year.

JB98
06-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Why? They suck. Even with Mauer, they are no better than the 3rd best team in the division.

Even if this Twinkie winning streak lasts another week, they'll still be eight or nine below .500.

I don't understand why people believe Minnesota is a contender. The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers. They are 22-37. If the Sox had that sort of record, we all would have committed suicide by now. Yet posters here believe that team is good.

The Cubs have more wins than the Twins.

Crooked Number
06-06-2011, 10:07 PM
This is the kind of baseball i thought we would be watching consistently this season. More contributions from Brent Lillibridge, the kid is exciting to watch. What a game saving catch. Carlos and Paulie being everything they can be, Carlos with two more doubles to extend his league lead for extra base hits.

John pitched in and out of the zone and had that changeup working. Thats the kind of performance we are used to seeing. Hope that gets him going. Adam Dunn, at the very least contributed with an excellent pick at first. He had a real rough night at the plate. I thought he was going to get a big one there in the 8th with them loaded. The guy is struggling like ive never seen before. It's just one of those things, can't be explained really. He will break out, just hope its before the break.

Tough one tomorrow, glad we won this one. Believe it or not Sox only 6 games out :o:

DSpivack
06-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Even if this Twinkie winning streak lasts another week, they'll still be eight or nine below .500.

I don't understand why people believe Minnesota is a contender. The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers. They are 22-37. If the Sox had that sort of record, we all would have committed suicide by now. Yet posters here believe that team is good.

It's been so long!

mzh
06-06-2011, 10:09 PM

:thumbsup:

This year's race is starting to resemble 2006 IMO, or rather the Tribe remind me very much of that 06 Tiger team. Their young pitching ought to wear down eventually, and perhaps it already has begun to implode. Hopefully the Sox aren't on the wrong end of it with 92 wins this time.

JB98
06-06-2011, 10:11 PM
It's been so long!

I'm not going to tolerate people giving that horse**** team respect around here. :D:

voodoochile
06-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Right before he hit into that DP Dunn was actually having a pretty good at bat.... then he hit into the DP... sigh...

But that doesn't matter as much because the Mr. Danks finally showed up and the team had just enough offense to push him to his first W. 15 more starts like that one between now and October would be just fine Mr. Danks.

What you gonna say about Lillibeast, all he does is continue to make plays. Hope his bat stays solid and he can continue to play regularly.

6 games back...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

guillensdisciple
06-06-2011, 10:12 PM

The biggest problem is our own team. The Sox played well tonight. Can they ever get any consistency?

Well that's exactly it. Against the Twins the White Sox become their own worst enemy. I am not afraid of them, I am afraid of how small we will appear in front of them

:thumbsup:

This year's race is starting to resemble 2006 IMO, or rather the Tribe remind me very much of that 06 Tiger team. Their young pitching ought to wear down eventually, and perhaps it already has begun to implode. Hopefully the Sox aren't on the wrong end of it with 92 wins this time.

We would have to do really well to get 92.

The Immigrant
06-06-2011, 10:12 PM
It was pretty obvious that the Mariners pitched around Lillibridge to get to Dunn. They did it three separate times and it paid off each time.

JermaineDye05
06-06-2011, 10:18 PM
First team he beat in his career too I believe.

beasly213
06-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Great night to be at the park. Finally I get to a game where it isn't freezing and go figure it's a quick one. Don't know if this came up on TV but I was sitting right where Paulie's Homer landed in left and the girl in front of me caught it on the fly with her glove. Will Ohman came over and told her nice catch. :cool:

DSpivack
06-06-2011, 10:23 PM
well that's exactly it. Against the twins the white sox become their own worst enemy. I am not afraid of them, i am afraid of how small we will appear in front of them

we would have to do really well to get 92.

63-37.

FielderJones
06-06-2011, 10:27 PM

:bong:

The Twins are done. They have lost the equivalent of us losing Paulie and TCQ. They might move ahead of the Royals, but that's it. Fourth place at best. There's no Twins magic that makes a crappy team end up in first place.

guillensdisciple
06-06-2011, 11:01 PM
63-37.

Ye, I love the White Sox but I have no idea how we're playing 26 over the rest of the way.

sunofgold
06-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Danks first win. Nice game. Great idea by Guillen to swap Peavy and Danks. Gave Danks an easier lineup to go through. Have to get his confidence up. Danks is very capable of getting on a great streak and win some games in his starts.

Santos made the ninth very uneventful. Thank you Sergio!

Now tomorrow we have a challenge against Felix.

russ99
06-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Nice win, and I especially liked the 2 out RBIs.

Good crowd at the park on an uncomfortable, muggy night.

roylestillman
06-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Have to jump on and give my praises to Danks tonight. Not an easy game, but he showed some guts tonight. He doesn't deserve the record he has, but he may have turned the corner.

And I get myself over .500 for the year.

TheOldRoman
06-06-2011, 11:23 PM
:bong:

The Twins are done. They have lost the equivalent of us losing Paulie and TCQ. They might move ahead of the Royals, but that's it. Fourth place at best. There's no Twins magic that makes a crappy team end up in first place.We have said this before about the Twins. I remember in particular the 2006 season. The Sox finally beat Santana on a Friday night and swept a three game series. At that point it looked like the Twins were dead, and we all know how that season ended. The Twins are worse off injury-wise, but I still believe they will be there to win the division if the Sox fall apart again in August. I am more worried at this point about our lead over the Twins than our deficit to the Indians.

Tragg
06-06-2011, 11:36 PM
I am more worried at this point about our lead over the Twins than our deficit to the Indians.
I'm definitely more worried about our deficit to the Tigers than our deficit to the Indians.

Good win tonight. We can out-pitch Seattle.

twinsuck
06-06-2011, 11:37 PM
no longer a loss machine. :D:

Foulke You
06-07-2011, 12:13 AM
I'm definitely more worried about our deficit to the Tigers than our deficit to the Indians.
Indeed. This year, it's the Tigers and our recent inability to beat them that we need to worry about. The Tribe are starting to fade and I think it will continue. They kind've remind me of the 2003 Royals or the 2005 Orioles. Red hot in the early months only to fizzle in mid season just in time to answer the "Are they for real?" question.

mbwhitesox
06-07-2011, 12:21 AM
Great game by Johnny Danks and the offense came through just enough to get him the W. Nice to finally see a win in person as I was 0-2 before tonight.

Dunn is really tough to watch, had some brutal ABs tonight. He has to be a mess mentally right now. Probably doesn't help that he's getting booed at home, never understood why people do that.

slavko
06-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Great game by Johnny Danks and the offense came through just enough to get him the W. Nice to finally see a win in person as I was 0-2 before tonight.

Dunn is really tough to watch, had some brutal ABs tonight. He has to be a mess mentally right now. Probably doesn't help that he's getting booed at home, never understood why people do that.

Hint:What happened after Jim Harbaugh of the Bears got a $4M/year contract? Booed at home. Dunn's contract is $14M. And Harbaugh wasn't playing that bad.

An earlier poster suggested that this win may boost Danks's confidence. If only something could be done to boost Dunn's confidence. Like seeing some fat pitches he could feast on. Hard to get at the MLB level, though. Minors? He looks lost up there right now. Playing the field doesn't seem to be getting him going. I Dunn-o. You?

hawkjt
06-07-2011, 01:34 AM
Solid win. That big kid on the mound for the M's is gonna be brutal to face. Now,the Sox get to face King. Then that other guy,then 4 tough A's pitchers...but the A's are scuffling bad right now. Sox need to win 5 of 6 to really get it rolling...

I remember a lot of fans totally down on Carlos this offseason,wanting him gone...thank god Kenny listened to those of us who knew he could bounce back:D:

Humber just needs to pitch a shutout to beat King Felix. No biggie.

Chez
06-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Nice to see some timely hitting late in the game -- first Beckham then A.J.

FielderJones
06-07-2011, 09:32 AM
We have said this before about the Twins. I remember in particular the 2006 season. The Sox finally beat Santana on a Friday night and swept a three game series. At that point it looked like the Twins were dead, and we all know how that season ended. The Twins are worse off injury-wise, but I still believe they will be there to win the division if the Sox fall apart again in August. I am more worried at this point about our lead over the Twins than our deficit to the Indians.

:scratch:

How could the Twins be dead on April 21? That's the only game the Sox beat Santana in 2006 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2006/VCHA02006.htm). I think you have your seasons confused.

Knock yourself out if you think a .373 team is a threat to the AL Central. The Twins well is dry. There's no magic genie that's going to save them this year.

asindc
06-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Nice to see some timely hitting late in the game -- first Beckham then A.J.

That Beckham AB was the best by a Sox hitter thus far this year. He refused to be beaten on the pitcher's pitch.

hawkjt
06-07-2011, 11:23 AM
That Beckham AB was the best by a Sox hitter thus far this year. He refused to be beaten on the pitcher's pitch.

The Brent Morel 3 run dinger was big also,but Gordo's ''revenge'' was sweet indeed. He gets knocked down,then he knocks the big kid down...perfect.:D:

Morel has hit .366 the last 17 games. Gordo is also on a hot streak. Juan has hit over .320 for his last 20 games. PK and Carlos are hot and AJ is also hitting. Lilly has been on fire....that just leaves two guys not joining the party....make it happen Alex and Adam!

TheOldRoman
06-07-2011, 11:34 AM
:scratch:

How could the Twins be dead on April 21? That's the only game the Sox beat Santana in 2006 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2006/VCHA02006.htm). I think you have your seasons confused.

Knock yourself out if you think a .373 team is a threat to the AL Central. The Twins well is dry. There's no magic genie that's going to save them this year.No, I remember the year correctly. The Sox swept the Twins and everyone rejoiced as the Twins were finally dead. I just searched and coudn't find the postgame thread. Still, the consensus was: they lost too many people, this isn't the same team as in previous years, they are finally coming back to earth after playing over their heads since 2001, they are terrible, and there will be no comeback this year. The Twins were only 7-11 after getting swept, but they had looked really bad to that point.

The Twins are not nearly as bad as they have played thusfar this year. If Mauer comes back healthy and Morneau rounds back into form, I think the Twins will be right there. The Sox weren't in this deep a hole last season, but we saw how quickly a team can get over .500 and into first place. The Twins are 11.5 out of first on June 7, and more importantly just 10 back of the Tigers, who will be there at the end of the year, unlike Cleveland. Hell, we saw an Indians team make up 13.5 games on the White Sox during a 7 week stretch while the Sox played roughly .500 ball in 2005. If you want to write off a team which has a history of catching fire in the second half of the season because they are 10 games out with 100 to play, be my guest. I've seen enough of these ****ers to know that they will be there at the end of the season.

Oh, and I just looked it up. On this date in 2006 the Twins were how far out of first? You guessed it... 11.5 games.

JB98
06-07-2011, 12:14 PM
No, I remember the year correctly. The Sox swept the Twins and everyone rejoiced as the Twins were finally dead. I just searched and coudn't find the postgame thread. Still, the consensus was: they lost too many people, this isn't the same team as in previous years, they are finally coming back to earth after playing over their heads since 2001, they are terrible, and there will be no comeback this year. The Twins were only 7-11 after getting swept, but they had looked really bad to that point.

The Twins are not nearly as bad as they have played thusfar this year. If Mauer comes back healthy and Morneau rounds back into form, I think the Twins will be right there. The Sox weren't in this deep a hole last season, but we saw how quickly a team can get over .500 and into first place. The Twins are 11.5 out of first on June 7, and more importantly just 10 back of the Tigers, who will be there at the end of the year, unlike Cleveland. Hell, we saw an Indians team make up 13.5 games on the White Sox during a 7 week stretch while the Sox played roughly .500 ball in 2005. If you want to write off a team which has a history of catching fire in the second half of the season because they are 10 games out with 100 to play, be my guest. I've seen enough of these ****ers to know that they will be there at the end of the season.

Oh, and I just looked it up. On this date in 2006 the Twins were how far out of first? You guessed it... 11.5 games.

The Twins haven't been more than eight games below .500 since 2000 when they went 69-93.

Until now, that is.

Even with this five-game winning streak, they are 15 games below .500. This is by far their worst club in 11 years.

I'm not even going to start to worry about them until they reach .500, and they have a long road for that. Frankly, neither Cleveland nor Detroit should be worried about any of the other three teams in the division -- since none are at .500.

tstrike2000
06-07-2011, 12:22 PM
The Twins haven't been more than eight games below .500 since 2000 when they went 69-93.

Until now, that is.

Even with this five-game winning streak, they are 15 games below .500. This is by far their worst club in 11 years.

I'm not even going to start to worry about them until they reach .500, and they have a long road for that. Frankly, neither Cleveland nor Detroit should be worried about any of the other three teams in the division -- since none are at .500.

Love you, man.

Crestani
06-07-2011, 12:25 PM
An earlier poster suggested that this win may boost Danks's confidence. If only something could be done to boost Dunn's confidence. Like seeing some fat pitches he could feast on. Hard to get at the MLB level, though. Minors? He looks lost up there right now. Playing the field doesn't seem to be getting him going. I Dunn-o. You?

Dunn has had plenty of fat pitches this year...He simply cannot square them up right now, and he is really hurting the team..!! Maybe it's time to sit him for awhile..??

JB98
06-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Dunn has had plenty of fat pitches this year...He simply cannot square them up right now, and he is really hurting the team..!! Maybe it's time to sit him for awhile..??

You're right -- he can't square anything up right now. It's a timing issue, but I don't think any bench time is going to help him. I might sit him down against lefties, but I'd keep running him out there at the bottom of the order against righties. The Sox need him to get it together if they have any prayer of making a move in this division.

Dunn has gotten some fastballs in the middle of the plate on this homestand. He fouls them off all the time. Then, once he gets two strikes, the opposing pitcher does one of two things: 1) Elevate a fastball above his hands, or 2) Throw a change or slider down at the shoetops. Dunn is laying off neither of those pitches and striking out every time.

Crooked Number
06-07-2011, 01:13 PM
You're right -- he can't square anything up right now. It's a timing issue, but I don't think any bench time is going to help him. I might sit him down against lefties, but I'd keep running him out there at the bottom of the order against righties. The Sox need him to get it together if they have any prayer of making a move in this division.

Dunn has gotten some fastballs in the middle of the plate on this homestand. He fouls them off all the time. Then, once he gets two strikes, the opposing pitcher does one of two things: 1) Elevate a fastball above his hands, or 2) Throw a change or slider down at the shoetops. Dunn is laying off neither of those pitches and striking out every time.

There is no benching for Dunn. He either starts hitting, or he takes the team down with him. Sometimes stars just have season long bad years. A fellow sox fan reminded me of Paulie's 2003 season. Ortiz just had a terrible year recently. I'm not sure that Adam is going to figure it out. Of course, the light bulb could go off at any time and he could explode. Until/If that day comes, it's going to be excruciating to watch (worse than right now? ouch).

#1swisher
06-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Danks said, to Garfien, that he changed his position on the rubber. Went from severe 3b side, usually had his foot hang off it, to dead center. Which gave himself a chance to throw strikes.