PDA

View Full Version : More injury trouble for Oakland

doublem23
06-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Brett Anderson looking down the gun at Tommy John surgery.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/29833171

Oakland's already lost Braden for the year, plus McCarthy, Ross, and Harden also on the DL.

DonnieDarko
06-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Is Oakland last years' Boston?

Seems to look like it.

Foulke You
06-07-2011, 12:19 AM
When your entire team is built around starting pitching and very little offense and then you lose more than half your starters to season ending injury, you are in serious trouble.

LITTLE NELL
06-07-2011, 05:03 AM
Do not wish injuries to any player or team but I hope the Sox can take advantage of the situation as the A's come to town for a 4 game series starting Thursday.

VenturaFan23
06-07-2011, 06:08 AM
Anderson had arm problems last year too. I guess it was just a matter of time.

TheOldRoman
06-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Is Oakland last years' Boston? No. Boston had a good team last year.

hawkjt
06-07-2011, 09:04 AM
A's have lost 7 in a row. Sox need to take that series....please.

DonnieDarko
06-08-2011, 12:56 PM
No. Boston had a good team last year.

Maybe it was the year before that? I honestly forget. But the year I'm talking about was when they were basically a walking MASH unit.

salty99
06-08-2011, 01:28 PM
It looks like they've gone into rebuilding mode again anyway getting rid of LaRoche and Kouzmanoff and bringing up guys like Sizemore, Weeks, and Rosales. Matsui is done as a useful player as well.

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2011, 01:37 PM
A's have lost 7 in a row. Sox need to take that series....please.
Anything less than 3 of the 4 games will be failure in my book. But, they really need to start sweeping some series. Sweeping Boston was nice, but they need to do that more if they want to contend here, and sweeping the lesser teams would be beneficial.

TheOldRoman
06-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Maybe it was the year before that? I honestly forget. But the year I'm talking about was when they were basically a walking MASH unit.You were correct about the Red Sox having everyone injured last year. My point was that they were a much, much better team than these A's to begin with, and they ended up winning 89 games despite all their injuries. Oakland sucks.

DonnieDarko
06-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Oh. Well no doubt the Red Sox are a better team than the A's. I was simply going on the injury aspect. :P

TDog
06-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Maybe it was the year before that? I honestly forget. But the year I'm talking about was when they were basically a walking MASH unit.

If you're looking for a team with a lot of injuries, this year's Giants have used the DL a bunch. They have only lost one starting pitcher, though, with a non-arm injury sustained while fielding his position.

The A's in recent years have lost a lot of pitchers, and most of them have been lost to arm injuries. Some former A's have become problems on other teams. I've never seen a team that has consistently produced so many pitching injuries.

Ellis is going to miss the White Sox series as well, and the A's might miss his defense. In the Sunday game against the Sox in Oakland, Ellis kept the game close, Really, the White Sox would be 5-1 against the A's this year but for a couple of blown ninth-inning leads.

In a four-game series, the injuries might not matter. The A's will be starting both Cahill and Gonzalez in the series. Gonzalez has never beaten the Sox and the Sox have faced Cahill twice with success, handing him a loss and what would have been the loss but for a blown save. But both have the ability to pitch good games. I have no idea who will start the other two games, but the A's have a knack of bringing up pitchers who look great before hurting their arms.

hawkjt
06-08-2011, 02:37 PM
I agree that the Sox could still easily lose this series,because it is the fricking A's...they have the Sox number. Losing Ellis is big,tho. Sox-killer.
The A's still lead the league in ERA,but half of the pitchers who built those numbers seem to be hurt.

If the Sox can take 3 of 4,I will be pretty happy...A's just kill the Sox,for some reason.

DumpJerry
06-08-2011, 03:08 PM
According to Tommy Ricketts, the Cubs would be undefeated if it weren't for those darn owies their players have.

So I guess injuries do make a difference in how a team competes.
http://www.gambling911.com/files/publisher/Green-Bay-Packers-082410L.jpg?1282671302

FielderJones
06-08-2011, 04:11 PM
If the Sox can take 3 of 4,I will be pretty happy...A's just kill the Sox,for some reason.

2010 4-5
2009 4-5
2008 5-4
2007 4-5
2006 3-3
2005 2-7 :o: but apparently this didn't matter that much

:shrug: