PDA

View Full Version : Sad to think but Viciedo and Danks may have given us more than Dunn & Rios

ohiosoxfan
06-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Viciedo is tearing up the IL right now and Danks has rebounded and put up decent number for the Knights. It's hard to believe, but we may have been better off production-wise with those two in the lineup over the pitiful contributions of Dunn and Rios. (and at about 23 million less)

captain54
06-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Viciedo is tearing up the IL right now and Danks has rebounded and put up decent number for the Knights. It's hard to believe, but we may have been better off production-wise with those two in the lineup over the pitiful contributions of Dunn and Rios. (and at about 23 million less)

Good call... a real eye opener.. and don't think that Reinsdorf hasn't made note of this

balke
06-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Good call... a real eye opener.. and don't think that Reinsdorf hasn't made note of this

Yeah a real eye opener. A guy who walked maybe 2 times last season... and Danks. .258 avg. in the minors should be about .230 in the majors. Jeremy Reed hit .400 in the minors - maybe they should get him back to DH.

DirtySox
06-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Yeah a real eye opener. A guy who walked maybe 2 times last season... and Danks. .258 avg. in the minors should be about .230 in the majors. Jeremy Reed hit .400 in the minors - maybe they should get him back to DH.

Viciedo would undeniably be outproducing Dunn. Danks is a tossup over Rios. Jordan can defend, but I'm not sure the hitting would translate. Unless the power surge is real, I still see him as a 4th OF or a second division starter at best.

miker
06-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Not so cut and dry. Minor league pitching is not major league pitching.

However, I think we're getting close to the time where if Rios and Dunn aren't turning it around, the kids deserve a chance.

Hartman
06-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Viciedo would undeniably be outproducing Dunn. Danks is a tossup over Rios. Jordan can defend, but I'm not sure the hitting would translate. Unless the power surge is real, I still see him as a 4th OF or a second division starter at best.

Greg Walker himself could outproduce Dunn right now.

TDog
06-06-2011, 04:28 PM

Rios might work harder if he perceived he could lose playing time. I'm really not sure what his problem is, but he doesn't seem to be inspired to play hard. Talent certainly isn't the issue. Unfortunately, the only other centerfielder the White Sox have is Lillibridge, and I'm not sure if he is up to taking over center on a full-time basis, although I like his development as a hitter. Lillibridge certainly plays hard.

I like Viciedo's potential as a hitter. I think if he improves his pitch recognition skills and learns the strike zone (maybe he is already learning), he could be a solid hitter for average at the big-league level. I would hate to see him shoved into the DH caste and would like to see him learn to play defense.

captain54
06-06-2011, 05:27 PM

would still be outperforming Dunn and Rios at this point

TomBradley72
06-06-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm not sold on Danks yet.

But after the way Viciedo hit last year- it would be reasonable to expect he could be a productive DH option.

Beyond Dunn's performance so far (and some of his career numbers like batting average w/RISP, or vs. lefties)- it gets even worse- because with that contract- it will be almost impossible to sit him on the bench.

If he were Mark Kotsay- he'd be released- and Dayan would be up as a DH/back up outfielder for 2011, and starting left fielder in 2012 and we'd have about $14M in payroll savings.

Daver
06-06-2011, 08:13 PM
And then there are those of us that are more firmly rooted in reality.

Nelfox02
06-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Rios might work harder if he perceived he could lose playing time. I'm really not sure what his problem is, but he doesn't seem to be inspired to play hard. Talent certainly isn't the issue. Unfortunately, the only other centerfielder the White Sox have is Lillibridge, and I'm not sure if he is up to taking over center on a full-time basis, although I like his development as a hitter. Lillibridge certainly plays hard.

I like Viciedo's potential as a hitter. I think if he improves his pitch recognition skills and learns the strike zone (maybe he is already learning), he could be a solid hitter for average at the big-league level. I would hate to see him shoved into the DH caste and would like to see him learn to play defense.

Brent sure looked good out there tonight......

HaroMaster87
06-06-2011, 11:23 PM

haha bravo.

Danks is not a major leaguer...

Dayan looks to be a major league hitter, with alot of work to do still...

kittle42
06-07-2011, 12:33 AM

Ha, ha! Dead on.