PDA

View Full Version : A Pet Peeve - Van Dyck

Lip Man 1
06-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Folks:

I hope you'll allow me to vent a tad.

I dislike Dave Van Dyck, I dislike his writing, I dislike his "smarmy-ness" for wont of a better word.

This guy has been in Chicago for decades, you'd think he'd have figured something out by now...instead he writes garbage like this again,

"Thankfully for him (Dunn), only 25,149 showed to boo him."

What does this moron think, that Sox fans are going to come out and support a mediocre (at best) team? And not let a player who is making 56 million and not performing get off unscathed? Why do certain members of the media think that it's "OK" for fans to express their feelings in New York, Boston or Philadelphia but not in Chicago.

Whether you agree with booing or not under certain parameters it's OK (in my opinion...)

What is it about the dynamics of Sox fans that he doesn't get? I mean it's not like he came to Chicago yesterday.

No offense but I wish it was like the old days, where the only days-off a beat writer got was if the schedule said so.

This clown seems to take great satisfaction in sticking it to the Sox and I've noticed that **** for years. He's always got something sarcastic to write.

He's been a finalist (somehow) for the past three years on the Hall of Fame ballot and every year in the final vote, he's come in dead last on it (out of three potential inductees), his colleagues do the voting...that should say something.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

Lip

Foulke You
06-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Agree 100%. I can't stand Van Dyck. The guy acts like he is God's gift to baseball writers and does seem to take personal pleasure in getting digs in on the Sox.

miker
06-05-2011, 10:36 PM
He probably also takes pleasure that he has gotten under your, and other Sox fans) skin.

Ignore him. Ignore what he has to say.

Dan H
06-06-2011, 05:00 AM
He probably also takes pleasure that he has gotten under your, and other Sox fans) skin.

Ignore him. Ignore what he has to say.

I see where Lip is coming from, but I agree with you. Van Dyke isn't worth it.

The Immigrant
06-06-2011, 09:27 AM
He's one corporate buyout away from retirement. Ignore him.

Jerko
06-06-2011, 09:35 AM
That's not a bad crowd all things considered. Of course he didn't use Saturday's crowd numbers, which were higher. That place filled up nicely Saturday night, even with the afternoon storm.

billcissell
06-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Van Dyck has had his head up his backside for a long time now. For a guy who's been covering baseball for years, he remains clueless.

Dunn deserves to be booed until he starts hitting. Does he expect Sox fans to actually be cheering this guy? For Christ sake, they don't even do that in the Urinal.

Van Dyck belongs on the north side covering a team that suits his fancy - and matches his ability as far as a baseball writer is concerned.

There have been many great Chicago baseball scribes over the years: Holtzman, Carmichael, Enright ...

Somehow, Van Dyck's name will never be mentioned alongside these wizards of the keyboards.

#1swisher
06-06-2011, 01:26 PM
I have no comment on Van Dyck.

As one of the 25,000 + fans in attendance yesterday. I have to say that, in the bottom of the 6th,when Dunn singled into right, the fans cheers were much louder than the boos.

hawkjt
06-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Yes, we did cheer him with vigor on that hit yesterday. I suppose it was half-bronx but still a loud ovation. The problem for Adam is not just that he is making outs,but that he is making ugly,3 pitch strikeout outs...he came very close to a homer yesterday,but then was called out on a questionable strike the next pitch...very frustrating to all. I did not boo him,tho,as I simply do not see that helping him hit better.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Will 25,000 still be a bad attendance number when that's what Wrigley pulls in? Guy's a . . . well, let's leave it at shill. This is a family site. :wink:

Sox
06-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Folks:

I hope you'll allow me to vent a tad.

I dislike Dave Van Dyck, I dislike his writing, I dislike his "smarmy-ness" for wont of a better word.

This guy has been in Chicago for decades, you'd think he'd have figured something out by now...instead he writes garbage like this again,

"Thankfully for him (Dunn), only 25,149 showed to boo him."

What does this moron think, that Sox fans are going to come out and support a mediocre (at best) team? And not let a player who is making 56 million and not performing get off unscathed? Why do certain members of the media think that it's "OK" for fans to express their feelings in New York, Boston or Philadelphia but not in Chicago.

Whether you agree with booing or not under certain parameters it's OK (in my opinion...)

What is it about the dynamics of Sox fans that he doesn't get? I mean it's not like he came to Chicago yesterday.

No offense but I wish it was like the old days, where the only days-off a beat writer got was if the schedule said so.

This clown seems to take great satisfaction in sticking it to the Sox and I've noticed that **** for years. He's always got something sarcastic to write.

He's been a finalist (somehow) for the past three years on the Hall of Fame ballot and every year in the final vote, he's come in dead last on it (out of three potential inductees), his colleagues do the voting...that should say something.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

Lip

That does say something indeed. I agree.

skobabe8
06-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Will 25,000 still be a bad attendance number when that's what Wrigley pulls in? Guy's a . . . well, let's leave it at shill. This is a family site. :wink:

There's a language filter. Fire away. :cool:

HaroMaster87
06-09-2011, 01:10 AM
hes still working? I had no idea...haven't paid him any mind in years...once i became old enough to know better.