PDA

View Full Version : DLS called up by Oakland

kittle42
06-03-2011, 12:56 PM
http://rotoworld.com/player/mlb/5121/fautino-de-los-santos

Over By There
06-03-2011, 01:18 PM
(insert obligatory march to Cooperstown comment)

kittle42
06-03-2011, 01:43 PM
From a purely WSI perspective, I am glad the Sox farm system is ****, because no one is here to pretend like we have the next 5-tool player or ace starter waiting in the wings.

Domeshot17
06-03-2011, 02:08 PM
From a purely WSI perspective, I am glad the Sox farm system is ****, because no one is here to pretend like we have the next 5-tool player or ace starter waiting in the wings.

To be fair, DLS was ranked very highly as a prospect before his arm surgery, and he is only 25 years old. I would much rather have a good farm system full of guys who may or may not work out instead of having the worst farm in the major leagues. There may not be 1 guy in our entire minor league system who is ever going to make any kind of real contribution at the big league level.

JermaineDye05
06-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Sorry, but that name's reserved for Bryce Harper.

TDog
06-03-2011, 02:52 PM
He probably won't be up for long, unless he starts off strong. Balfour is only out on paternity leave. Baily just got back from the DL and is taking Balfour's place as the closer after Balfour took Fuentes' place as the closer after a few bad outings and an incident with Bob Geren.

Someone else could go down. Someone could be traded to a team that overvalues A's pitchers who tend not to look as good after they leave Oakland. An injury is more likely. Bailey has been fragile. A couple of guys in the bullpen had great runs before the surgery they have recently come back from. Four starters have been on the DL this season. One is back already and one is done for the year.

Even De Los Santos has had surgery since coming to the A's. I'm surprised no one is asking questions about why so many A's pitchers are getting hurt. I know that pitchers seem more fragile than they used to be because some problems that used to go unnoticed or led to ineffectiveness and release without being diagnosed are resulting in surgery these days, but if the White Sox had as many pitching injures as the A's do, people would be screaming about it.

sullythered
06-04-2011, 03:38 PM
To be fair, DLS was ranked very highly as a prospect before his arm surgery, and he is only 25 years old. I would much rather have a good farm system full of guys who may or may not work out instead of having the worst farm in the major leagues. There may not be 1 guy in our entire minor league system who is ever going to make any kind of real contribution at the big league level.

Viciedo will hit.

voodoochile
06-05-2011, 02:53 PM
This is old news but he is in for the second time today.

TDog
06-05-2011, 04:00 PM
This is old news but he is in for the second time today.

And he leaves Boston with an ERA. His ERA would be higher, but for a couple of Coco Crisp catches in Fenway's centerfield triangle.

It looks like catchers will have trouble blocking all the curves he throws in the dirt and runners will run wild on him.

balke
06-05-2011, 07:35 PM
/shrug. I like our Santos better to close. Hopefully the Sox can move on from trying to find that power lefty swisher/dunn type and focus on real hitters at DH. Save themselves from the crying when anyone ever does well that was traded.

doublem23
06-07-2011, 08:29 AM
And he's back to AAA

http://www.mercurynews.com/athletics/ci_18217067?nclick_check=1

Tragg
06-08-2011, 03:09 PM
DLS and Gio have produced almost as much as, well, Marquez, is it?

TDog
06-09-2011, 01:49 AM
DLS and Gio have produced almost as much as, well, Marquez, is it?

DLS hasn't yet contributed to an A's win and didn't look good at all in his only major league appearance where he faced more than one hitter. Gio Gonzalez was a bad pitcher up and down for two seasons. White Sox fans wouldn't have put up with him. But with Mark Buehrle and John Danks as lefthanders in the White Sox rotation, Gonzalez probably wouldn't have had the chance with the White Sox that he has had in Oakland.

I'm just sorry they traded for Nick Swisher. But I've never liked high-strikeout, low batting average hitters.

kittle42
06-09-2011, 01:00 PM
But I've never liked high-strikeout, low batting average hitters.

We know. :D: