PDA

View Full Version : A Few Derby Thoughts

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 11:11 PM
First off, hats off to Paul Konerko. I didn't think he'd make it out of the first round after Sosa and Giambi posted 10+. I would've loved to see him and Sosa go at it, but, he did the Sox proud tonight. That swing off thing is a joke. If they tie, give both guys 3 outs.

Second, for the love of god, can we please send Joe Morgan to an island all by himself. I cannot stand that guy.

Third, I loved all the camera angles they had tonight. I know the shot behind the pitcher is something will never see in a game, but, I'd love to see more of the camera's by the plate type shots.

Thanks for reading. :D:

Soxheads
07-08-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

You're welcome. :cool:

I agree that it would be nice to have more camera angles, similar to what CBS had during the Super Bowl.

nut_stock
07-08-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Third, I loved all the camera angles they had tonight. I know the shot behind the pitcher is something will never see in a game, but, I'd love to see more of the camera's by the plate type shots.

The only thing I didn't like was they were showing people in the booth or crowd too much while the pitch is on the way to the plate.

OEO Magglio
07-08-2002, 11:39 PM
I just want to say one thing about that stupid blast off, it wasn't fair to PK, Giambi got to hit again on the blast off while he's still loose, PK had to get loose again, cause he had to wait for Giambi to finish, to that's a bunch of crap, I agree with the three outs for a tie breaker.

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
The only thing I didn't like was they were showing people in the booth or crowd too much while the pitch is on the way to the plate.

I agree.

They must have showed Schilling 45 times. Show him once to let us know he's next to the crew and that's it. I don't need to see him tell Boomer or dead ass Joe Morgan anything.

Bucktown
07-09-2002, 03:05 AM
I was at the Home Run Derby tonight. The place was a freaking sauna. My briefs were crotch-soaked (the 18 holes before heading to the park didn't help either). I had to stop and pick up some Gold Balm on the way home.

Sorry, I am sure that was more than you needed to know.

I know we are all supposed to hate Sammy, but his home runs were absolutely incredible. I have been to half a dozen games at Miller Park and I have never seen anything close to those shots. You had to be there to really appreciate it.

Paulie did do a great job. He almost made it to the finals. On the one hand I was proud he came so close, on the other it was like the White Sox first half of the season (another one run loss and lack of clutch hitting).

Paulie had a monster shot in the first round too. Still a distant second to you-know-who.

I thought it was interesting that they closed the roof after Paulie and before Giambi. I thought that would hurt Giambi, but apparently not enough. Clearly the ball doesn't fly as far when the roof is closed.

That roof is a beautiful thing. About 9pm it started raining cats and dogs. But the roof closed in 7 minutes and we were all dry (except the sweat).

duke of dorwood
07-09-2002, 08:16 AM
:walnuts

Sorry Mr Piersall, but I am proud of Paulie

Fisk72
07-09-2002, 08:33 AM
Is it just me or does Sham-Me look as cross-eyed as Shaq? Just a thought.

DVG
07-09-2002, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bucktown
[B]I was at the Home Run Derby tonight. The place was a freaking sauna. My briefs were crotch-soaked (the 18 holes before heading to the park didn't help either).

I'll file that one under M for "More Information than Needed."

OfficerKarkovice
07-09-2002, 06:28 PM
Was it just me or did no one else catch it when they were interviewing Sammy after his first round and the announcers table still had their microphones on, unbeknownst to them. You could hear them all laughing in the background and one guy going "See if he says it" Then a bunch of laughter, and then in a very "mocking" tone someone goes "Baseball has been very very good to me." It was absolutely hillarious. High point of the night.

mike squires
07-09-2002, 10:50 PM
did anyone hear schilling while he was a guest with berman during the homerun hitting contest? after sammy was done hitting they didn't know their mikes were on and they were laughing hysterically while sosa was getting ready to talk. schilling said as if mocking sammy..."baseball has been very good to me, then put his hand to his lips as if to say oops! maybe not, but it sounded like he was making fun of him.

OfficerKarkovice
07-10-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by michael penny
did anyone hear schilling while he was a guest with berman during the homerun hitting contest? after sammy was done hitting they didn't know their mikes were on and they were laughing hysterically while sosa was getting ready to talk. schilling said as if mocking sammy..."baseball has been very good to me, then put his hand to his lips as if to say oops! maybe not, but it sounded like he was making fun of him.

Nope didn't hear that...haha...wait...see post right before yours? :smile:

Fisk72
07-10-2002, 03:39 PM
I'm pretty sure it was Berman who was trying to get Schilling to shut up. I bet ESPN got a few calls of complaint for that one! Either way, I thought it was hilarious!

KruseControl04
07-10-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
I was at the Home Run Derby tonight. The place was a freaking sauna. ...
... I know we are all supposed to hate Sammy, but his home runs were absolutely incredible. I have been to half a dozen games at Miller Park and I have never seen anything close to those shots. You had to be there to really appreciate it.

Paulie did do a great job. He almost made it to the finals. On the one hand I was proud he came so close, on the other it was like the White Sox first half of the season (another one run loss and lack of clutch hitting).

I too was at the derby, and man it was hot! Closing the roof didn't help much at all. It took about 20 minutes before I felt the air conditioning, or fans, or whatever they have start to kick in. I was sick after ShamMe's first round. I'm sorry, he has to be on steroids. I cannot believe that any human could hit those shots without taking something.
When Sammy hit a line drive to left field that some little kid tried to field I heard someone yell, "Steroids almost killed that kid!" I thought it was pretty funny. Sammy is so full of himself, after he hit the homerun to beat Sexson in the second round, he just walked into the duggout without even talking to him or shaking his hand!
Pauly did make the Sox proud though. He did awesome with 6 homeruns in each of his two rounds. he hit like a 470-footer to left field that almost hit the Master card "hit it here sign". It was a fun time. Next year I would like to go to the All-Star game rather than the homerun derby.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-10-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
I have been to half a dozen games at Miller Park and I have never seen anything close to those shots.

thats because the brewers play there, and sometimes the cubs.