PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6-3 Bizzarro Spay and Neuter clinic, Sox 6, Kitties 4 Postgamer

soxinem1
06-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Four in a row!:bandance::bandance:

Frater Perdurabo
06-03-2011, 11:14 PM
No one predicted these things all to happen in one game:

Pierre with a HR

Dunn with first hit v. LHP, beating out a grounder to the first baseman

AJ throws out two baserunners

A game started and won by Buehrle goes more than three hours

Morel with three hits

DSpivack
06-03-2011, 11:17 PM
9NDeX9TGw3E

Zakath
06-03-2011, 11:17 PM
And the lead is now down to 7.

tstrike2000
06-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Really glad the Sox were able to overcome all those missed scoring opportunities. Longest winning streak of the season. Just keep it going.

sullythered
06-03-2011, 11:18 PM
OK. I'm back "all in."

BringHomeDaBacon
06-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Now I feel bad for bashing Juan Pierre earlier today. Great game for him. I hope he keeps it up.

doublem23
Certainly feels like this team is primed to rip off an insane amount of wins.

russ99
Great win, and glad to see Juan do well at the plate and in the field.

Let's get them tomorrow!

Big start for Jackson vs. Verlander, but he's pitched well vs. Detroit for us.

palehozenychicty
Morel and Pierre won this game for the Sox. Thanks MLB.TV! :D:

Frater Perdurabo
06-03-2011, 11:20 PM

Halfway to one of those patented 8-game winning streaks.

PeteWard
06-03-2011, 11:21 PM
A very big win. Great job when Pauly is a late scratch.

Pierre has to be PTC. In the post game interview he mentioned being happy to make the catch for Thornton because he let him down before. Seems like a very nice guy.

7 out and counting down. :bandance:

ChiSoxGal85
06-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Incredibly weird (but fun!) game. Not Buehrle's best game, but ok. It took the Sox a few innings to figure out Oliver, who was all over the place. And there was that ugly lack-of-scoring-with-RISP thing going on in at least 2 innings. But a couple of key HRs and some GREAT defense by Morel and Juan Pierre save this one.

Dunn finally gets a hit against LHP, and it's not a hard-hit single but a bloop infield hit that he beats out using his wheels. Weird. :D: More weirdness: AJ throws out 2 - get that, 2!!! - baserunners!

Thornton was shaky again - thank heavens Pierre made that catch or there'd be a hole in my TV set. Nice job by Santos with a 4-out save.

Love beating our division competitors. Keep chipping away tomorrow!

PeteWard
06-03-2011, 11:22 PM

Yes but we need a healthy Konerko immediately.

Nelfox02
06-03-2011, 11:24 PM
solid win, some offensive frustration but they did end up with 6 points. Mark was effective tonight, not incredible, but a solid start. Sox (morel in particular) played very good D behind him......Juan exercised some demons by making a huge catch (my heart sank as soon as that ball was hit....)

Sergio pretty sick tonight too.....the walk sucked but he was on after that

Lillibeast another bomb.......nice Now take it to 'Verlander and lock up a series W tomorrow night

hopefully PK is alright

Sox adding to my feel good Friday, thanks guys

GlassSox
06-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Outstanding but strange happenings. Morel with great leather tonight and the bat. Solid outing by Mark. Juan a great catch & a HR.

Let's keep the win streak going.

Hope PK is back tomorrow.

Falstaff
06-03-2011, 11:26 PM
I notice the Sox pushed 6 runs across plate = win.
Like to see another 6 runs across plate each game
but especially tomorrow.
Time for the A+ no-hitter material Edwin.

whitesox4eva
06-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Juan and Morel were great tonight but I really gotta give kudos to Santos also. It is amazing to think that just a few years ago he was a position player and had never pitched in the major league, but now he is our closer 10 for a 11 in save opportunities and he just struck out one of the better hitters in the game! :bandance::bandance:

SoxandtheCityTee
Please, please keep in going -- I'm headed to the ballpark tomorrow night.

kaufsox
Hawk line of the night after the Pierre HR "who wants to bunt?"

Lip Man 1
06-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Nice to break that losing streak against them. They need to win this series and keep it going.

Nice to see Kenny tonight take an honest look at the attendance situation and not blame the fans, "we've haven't earned their patronage..."

Lip

PeteWard
06-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Nice to break that losing streak against them. They need to win this series and keep it going.

Nice to see Kenny tonight take an honest look at the attendance situation and not blame the fans, "we've haven't earned their patronage..."

Lip

I agree but with good weather I hope they fill the place tomorrow. The team is playing well finally.

Nelfox02
06-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Juan and Morel were great tonight but I really gotta give kudos to Santos also. It is amazing to think that just a few years ago he was a position player and had never pitched in the major league, but now he is our closer 10 for a 11 in save opportunities and he just struck out one of the better hitters in the game! :bandance::bandance:

still a limited sample size, but Santos has really looked great in the closer role.....thank god.

PeteWard
06-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Hawk line of the night after the Pierre HR "who wants to bunt?"

And I am sure that is the last time he will use this line.

PeteWard
06-03-2011, 11:37 PM
still a limited sample size, but Santos has really looked great in the closer role.....thank god.

I did not enjoy that leadoff walk, but yes he has been great and I think the Sox would be fighting with the Twins right now if they did not have him.

SoxSpeed22
06-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Longest winning streak of the year! :bandance:

soxfan1965
06-03-2011, 11:41 PM
No one predicted these things all to happen in one game:

Pierre with a HR

Dunn with first hit v. LHP, beating out a grounder to the first baseman

AJ throws out two baserunners

A game started and won by Buehrle goes more than three hours

Morel with three hits

Maybe Frank Thomas --who understands Dunn's dilemna -- can help Dunn with his encouraging words. He thinks Dunn playing 1B once in a while will help take his mind off hitting. For Dunn to not strike out, like tonight, is progress.

voodoochile
06-03-2011, 11:44 PM

I was thinking this after he struck out the last out in the 8th on that nasty slider or whatever it was. He's got the makings of a premiere closer already and appears to have a bit of a rubber arm which is gold in a guy who can throw as hard as he can.

Indeed an odd win but a win none the less. Another solid team effort with everyone reaching base and everyone but Beckham getting a hit. The Sox still managed 6 runs after getting only one run from loading the bases twice with nobody out. If they keep putting men on base at this rate the runs will start to come. Nice to see Juan redeem himself too.

3 games under, 7 games back, 2.5 games out of second... hmmm...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

PeteWard
06-03-2011, 11:45 PM
Maybe Frank Thomas --who understands Dunn's dilemna -- can help Dunn with his encouraging words. He thinks Dunn playing 1B once in a while will help take his mind off hitting. For Dunn to not strike out, like tonight, is progress.

He did strike out looking on a fat pitch down the middle in the 8th. Still think he will break out soon.

Viva Medias B's
06-03-2011, 11:56 PM
I am impressed with this streak. This is what we need to get back in the AL Central race.

StillMissOzzie
06-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Really glad the Sox were able to overcome all those missed scoring opportunities. Longest winning streak of the season. Just keep it going.

You and me both. I was sure that all of these squandered opportunities was gonna come back and bite them in the ass. Thornton again hit pretty hard.

But a win is a win. Tame the Motor City Kitties again manana!

SMO
:gulp:

RockJock07
06-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Keep it going, Morel with 3 hits is great, him getting warm/hot would be a huge lift to this line-up.

Need Edwin to pitch like he did in his first 2 starts this year, has been very average since then, hopefully this streak has brought some life to him.

ZombieRob
06-04-2011, 12:24 AM
I shall be there tomorrow. Hopefully I'm not a jinx. :D:

ZombieRob
06-04-2011, 12:25 AM
Keep it going, Morel with 3 hits is great, him getting warm/hot would be a huge lift to this line-up.

Need Edwin to pitch like he did in his first 2 starts this year, has been very average since then, hopefully this streak has brought some life to him.
Yea. Hope he continues like he did in the latter innings of the Jays game. He seemed to find his "stuff" that game

ShooterMcGavin
06-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Morel stood out in today's game with his defense and his 3 hits.

I'm thankful Quentin hit his 3-run home run since nobody else on the team wanted to hit with men on base.

It's nice to have a closer. It's really nice to have one who can get 4-out saves.

chisox77
06-04-2011, 01:26 AM
Was at the game, and Morel looked great with those diving stops and solid throws, as well as three hits.

Nice win, and hopefully, a sign of things to come.

hawkjt
06-04-2011, 01:54 AM
Huge win. If they lose,with Verlander tommorrrow,momentum could be killed in the crib. Now, can still win the series if they do struggle vs Verlander tomorrow.

AJ's bat is on fire,but I could have killed him when he refused to take that walk in the first inning with bases loaded....man is he aggravating sometimes...but came thru later,and nice throwing tonite.

Lilly is definitely on fire...should have 4 homers in the last 3 games cept for the Green monster. Must remain in lineup till he stops hitting.

Juan was on base 4 times tonite,and the homer was a very happy moment at the ballpark for the whole crowd and team...and after a huge gamesaving catch to boot...keep it going,Juanie!

MB was typical,and almost got out clean but that guy really reached down for that bomb. Got the win,tho..

Burrell looked ok...too bad about that walk,but he has some pop in his arm.
I guess that Ozzie was going to live and die with Matt,and almost died. Guess he wanted Crain to have the nite off,and he got away with it.
Matt is just getting hammered but you have to just continue to hope the old Matt will return.

Sergio is studly again...probably not available tomorrow,but it was worth it tonite. Maybe Crain tomorrow,if we need a closer? or Sale?

Carlos is hitting an extremely hard .259,leading the leagues in extra base hits...if he could stay hot,he can carry us on this homestand.

Morel had a great nite. With MB on the mound,the 3rd sacker has to be ready for those plays,and he made all but one...spectacular nite when you add in the 3 hits. He has been hitting .320 the last 20 games...just play him,Ozzie.

Nice win. Thank you Sox. Now,go get Verlander.

guillensdisciple
06-04-2011, 02:36 AM
Ummmm I am getting back into confident White Sox mode- this is not good. Don't fail me now Sox. YOu have the tools and the potential to do great things. Get it out of you.

Cough cough Rios, Dunn, and Becks.

Foulke You
06-04-2011, 02:40 AM
Great win tonight. Finally a 4 game winning streak. Morel really showed how valuable his glove can be in a game like tonight as he robbed the Tigers multiple times. Quentin really stepped it up with that 3 run bomb. The Sox needed that out of him tonight with Paulie on the shelf.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-04-2011, 02:49 AM
MGSF's Observations:

Saw this game in all it's glory from Sec. 160, Row 24.

The woman who sang the National Anthem (Katie Quick, I believe) did a fantastic rendition of it. She had a beautiful voice.

As said earlier, this is, by far, the strangest game I've ever been to. I was frustrated with only getting one run in the first when we should have gotten WAY more than that, but ultimately it didn't matter, thankfully.

Dunn was booed, first when he failed to make that play at first, then they came bearing down when he failed to convert with two runners in scoring position. However, the cheers when he beat out that grounder were pretty loud.

Morel was just outstanding today with the glove and the stick. I know he won't go 3-for-4 every game, but he keeps playing defense like this and just hits even .260, he will be nigh-impossible to keep out of the lineup.

Last game I attended (where Pierre dropped the fly ball against OAK with Thornton on the mound), Pierre was Public Enemy #1. However, he got some much needed redemption when he made the great catch to save the game (since I was in the left-field bleachers, I could not see him make the catch, had to rely on the cheers of the other fans to determine the result). He just added a little gravy with the HR...the fans in our section gave him an ovation and did the "We're Not Worthy!" thing when he came out on D the next inning. For the first time in forever, Pierre had a big smile on his face when he saw the reaction by our section, and I could tell he truly felt a big weight off his shoulders at that moment.

Lillibridge, Quentin...yeah, that'll do, guys.

Santos is just filthy. This guy is a closer. He made Cabrera a non-factor in that final AB.

Pitching outside of Santos wasn't all that fantastic, but they minimized the damage and got the job done.

Chicken nacho helmet = love.

In short, this was a memorable game, and I was privileged to be in attendance on a gorgeous night at the old ballpark.

:bandance:

JB98
06-04-2011, 03:00 AM
The Sox should have won this one going away. They made it hard on themselves, but style points aren't all that important right now. Just get the win.

Morel had a terrific game tonight. Still a little worried about Thornton. He wasn't fooling anyone out there. I'm glad Santos came at Cabrera in the ninth. As good as Cabrera is, I fear Martinez more. It seems like Martinez has hurt the Sox more than Cabrera has through the years. I was relieved when Sergio retired Cabrera and left Martinez in the on-deck circle.

DonnieDarko
06-04-2011, 03:02 AM
Last game I attended (where Pierre dropped the fly ball against OAK with Thornton on the mound), Pierre was Public Enemy #1. However, he got some much needed redemption when he made the great catch to save the game (since I was in the left-field bleachers, I could not see him make the catch, had to rely on the cheers of the other fans to determine the result). He just added a little gravy with the HR...the fans in our section gave him an ovation and did the "We're Not Worthy!" thing when he came out on D the next inning. For the first time in forever, Pierre had a big smile on his face when he saw the reaction by our section, and I could tell he truly felt a big weight off his shoulders at that moment.See, that's what I'm hoping has happened to him. Those catches that he dropped earlier in the year obviously weighed heavily on him in every aspect of his game. Now I hope that he's been redeemed he can pick things up even further and get back to infield singles, stealing bases and playing average to above-average defense out there in LF.

Sure, he's most likely gone after this year because of Viciedo (if The Tank keeps on performing in the minors like he has been this year, there is absolutely zero chance that he doesn't make the team next year in my mind), but while he's here I hope that he does his best to help get us into the playoffs.

Also, I take it that the "We are not worthy" thing was the crowd bowing to him as he was jogging into position?

TDog
06-04-2011, 04:45 AM
The Sox should have won this one going away. They made it hard on themselves, but style points aren't all that important right now. Just get the win. ...

It wasn't as if the Sox shut down the Tigers offense. The fact that the Tigers only only scored four can be attributed to some great Sox defense and some clutch pitching. If the Sox had been the Tigers tonight, Sox fans still would be posting that the Sox should have won this going away. Before the Pierre home run, the margin of the game was the run the Sox shouldn't have scored in the first.

But as it was, the Sox led this game from the first inning on. Buehrle had a quality start. What makes Mark Buehrle an outstanding pitcher isn't just that he wins games when he doesn't give up any hits, but that he can win when he gives up 10 hits in six innings. He didn't have his great stuff, and it showed when he had his most trouble the third time through the order, but gutted it out and kept the Sox ahead for six.

The Sox are looking much stronger when they have the lead after seven, although I must have missed something, expecting to see Crain tonight. Santos has looked so good, even after losing the game against the Dodgers that the Sox seemed to have won. He has great stuff, and he doesn't have a lot of mileage on his arm. It may only be a question if he has the stamina to go deeper into the 2011 season than he could in his first major league season.

The Sox beat a starter -- a left-handed starter -- they had never seen before. They should have done more with him in the first couple of innings, but they got 12 baserunners on against him before knocking him out in the fourth. A couple of hits would have broken things open. Who knows how things would have turned out if Konerko instead of Pierzynski had been batting cleanup.

But it wasn't Pierzynski batting cleanup against a southpaw starter that made the game feel so strange. In the end, it was that the Sox played so well when they had to. That seems to have caught some of us off guard.

And, on the strength of their so-far largest winning streak of the season, the Whit Sox are closer to the first place Indians than the last place Twins are to the White Sox.

Zakath
06-04-2011, 05:08 AM
And today we face Verlander, who we used to figure out (was 2-9 vs. the Sox prior to 2009) but who now owns the Sox (6-0 in last 6 starts, 2.03 ERA, 3 CG).

That's another Tiger winning streak that the Sox need to break.

LongLiveFisk
06-04-2011, 06:59 AM
Chicken nacho helmet = love.

A chicken nacho helmet? Jesus, I have to get to the ballpark soon! :wooty:

Chez
06-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Fun night at the ballpark. Great defense by Pierre and Morel saved this one. Did they say anything during the broadcast about Crain not being available last night? Every batter Thornton faced smoked the ball and I was surprised Ozzie didn't have Crain up and then in during the 8th.

October26
06-04-2011, 08:51 AM
:roflmao: The title of this postgame thread made me laugh!

As I like to say: Lillibridge in, Sox win!

Seriously, that was a weird and wonderful White sox winner last night - a true team effort.

I know Verlander is tough but here's hoping our boys can keep the positive mojo going tonite. :bandance:

DonnieDarko
06-04-2011, 10:50 AM
One of my friends referred to Yogi as the best "untrained philosopher I've ever seen". The more and more quotes I read from him, the more I have to agree.

hawkjt
06-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Fun night at the ballpark. Great defense by Pierre and Morel saved this one. Did they say anything during the broadcast about Crain not being available last night? Every batter Thornton faced smoked the ball and I was surprised Ozzie didn't have Crain up and then in during the 8th.

Nothing was mentioned about Crain not being available. I just got the impression that Ozzie wanted to give him an extra days rest...he is going to try to protect Crain like an endangered species the rest of the way.
And I think he is trying to show Thornton some support by sticking with him...if Matt does not start fooling some hitters, I am not sure the Sox can go anywhere.

As for the left field bleachers giving Juan the ''I am not worthy'' treatment....way cool. When Juan smiles,he lites up the dugout,and I know some folks are really down on him,but he is one of my favorites.
Getting on base 4 times last nite has raised his on-base to .330...he needs to get it to .350 or above,but I think he will as he has been steadily headed upward the last 3 weeks.

This Tigers lineup can really hit. They have a lot of +.300 hitters...in contrast to the Sox. Maggs is supposed to be back next week also. So, while MB gave up his usual 10+ hits, I think he did a good job of keeping them down to 3 runs,with a nod to the defense.

Today will be tough. Now, Edwin has a very strong career record vs the Tigers so he needs to shut them down..not easy. But with the warm weather,the Sox need to find a way to get to Verlander. He will not walk the world like the kid last nite...gotta actually get timely hits,too.
It would be a great nite for Adam Dunn to catch up to a 98mph fastball or two...his bat is looking a bit quicker,and the wind will be blowing out.

Railsplitter
06-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Do I see the light at the end of the tunnel or an oncoming train?

EnglishChiSox
06-04-2011, 12:25 PM
One of my friends referred to Yogi as the best "untrained philosopher I've ever seen". The more and more quotes I read from him, the more I have to agree.

The best philosophers are the natural ones anyway, anyone who proclaims himself a philosopher is a rubbish philosopher. It's like proclaiming yourself the messiah

I do love Lillismash, such a decent kid, it's nice to see him do well

kufram
06-04-2011, 12:41 PM

When I was a kid Yogi was a catcher... err, Yogi was THE catcher. Later he became this sage manager and his most powerful quotes always came off the cuff and in answer to a question after big moments in big games. I don't think I ever heard him say a bad thing about anybody. This was at the beginning of mass media I hasten to add.

He had a cartoon character named after him before he finished playing I believe.