PDA

View Full Version : Question about the MLB players union

nut_stock
07-08-2002, 10:57 PM
I've never been in a union, so excuse my lack of knowlege about the subject. Anyway, Suppose a player refuses to strike like the union suggests , what would happen to that player? Is he obligated by law? I'd bet money that many players don't support a strike under current labor conditions.

Oh no, Im only making 10 million dollars, I could have signed with the Yankees for 13.2 million.

Daver
07-08-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
I've never been in a union, so excuse my lack of knowlege about the subject. Anyway, Suppose a player refuses to strike like the union suggests , what would happen to that player? Is he obligated by law? I'd bet money that many players don't support a strike under current labor conditions.

Oh no, Im only making 10 million dollars, I could have signed with the Yankees for 13.2 million.

A player can object to the strike,but the majority rules.They are not obligated under any law to agree,but the CBA does not allow them to be paid by an MLB team during a work stoppage.

I would think that list of players that would not support a strike is miniscule,at this point Kelly Wunsch of all people is not very optimistic that it can be avoided.

nut_stock
07-08-2002, 11:07 PM
ok, one more question... What if the Owners were to call up all their minor leaguers while the major leaguers are on strike? I know this ties into '94...

Daver
07-08-2002, 11:13 PM
ok, one more question... What if the Owners were to call up all their minor leaguers while the major leaguers are on strike? I know this ties into '94...

They have that option,but the minor leaguers would refuse,because of the lingering effects of being strikebreakers.

It was considered in 94 and the owners feared to try it for those reasons,and instead pursued players outside of the organized minor league system.

nut_stock
07-08-2002, 11:19 PM
I bet they could find enough players willing to accept a nice pay raise to be scabs. I would wonder however, about the fans being turned off by the reduction of quality on the field. Naturally they'd have to reduce ticket prices, but if they're not paying those hefty salaries...ugh I'm getting a headache.

Daver
07-08-2002, 11:21 PM
I bet they could find enough players willing to accept a nice pay raise to be scabs. I would wonder however, about the fans being turned off by the reduction of quality on the field. Naturally they'd have to reduce ticket prices, but if they're not paying those hefty salaries...ugh I'm getting a headache.

Picture Oil Can Boyd on the mound and you will have Excedrin headache number 10.

nut_stock
07-08-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by daver

Picture Oil Can Boyd on the mound and you will have Excedrin headache number 10.

Well, I do already work for a minor league team. (Gateway Grizzlies, frontier league)

Lip Man 1
07-09-2002, 03:47 PM
Also the reaction of the rest of the group towards players who publicly didn't support a strike would be extremely difficult.

During the 81 labor impasse George Brett was quoted along the lines of saying that anybody who didn't support a strike would spend the rest of their careers on the ground. Meaning they would be thrown at by opposing pitchers every at bat.

When MLB got umpire scabs to replace striking umps many years ago some of them actually stayed on after the labor situation was settled and paired with three other umps who struck. I remember reading about how the three union umps never said one word to the "scab umps" the entire season and under no circumstances would they associate with them.

So it would be very difficult (and dangerous) for a player to at least publicly oppose the MLBPA.

Lip