PDA

View Full Version : Gonzo: Sox working on fundamentals

Frater Perdurabo
06-03-2011, 11:47 AM
In his analysis piece (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0603-white-sox-chicago--20110602,0,2111868.story) on how the Sox can make a push, Mark Gonzalez reports the Sox have been working on fundamentals drills up to five hours before games begin.

Using the the "Ask Mark Gonzalez" feature, I asked him:

What more can you share about the drills?

What skills have they been practicing?

Which coaches lead the drills?

Since when have they been performing these drills?

If this is a recent development, what took so long, what was the impetus for change, and who insisted on it?

On the other hand, if they have been doing these drills for years, why have the Sox still struggled with fundamentals for so long?

Hopefully he can share answers to these questions, and shed more light on this topic. As Lip and others have written, the Sox have struggled with fundamentals for many years, other than 2005. If they are working on it, good for them, because their excellent starting pitching, plus solid fundamentals, can win this division, especially with so many games remaining in the AL Central.

kittle42
06-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Tom Emanksi?

Frater Perdurabo
06-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Tom Emanksi?

Now we know what the Sox video department has been doing!

DeadMoney
06-03-2011, 12:02 PM
I know Gonzo tweeted earlier in the week that the pitchers were working on holding runners on (and that tweet was at like 2pm before one of the night games in Boston, I believe). That's all I've seen, but working on ANY type of fundamentals is a good thing at this point. I know different teams have different opinions of working on the little things during the season, but I do find it interesting that this is happening - or at least being pointed out - now (Finally?).

LITTLE NELL
06-03-2011, 12:03 PM
What the hell did they do for 6 weeks in spring training?

AnkleSox
06-03-2011, 12:04 PM
They've been saying this for 5 years.

Madvora
06-03-2011, 12:30 PM

Right. This is the same bull**** we hear from Ozzie Guillen every year. Enough already.

DeadMoney
06-03-2011, 12:44 PM

Right. This is the same bull**** we hear from Ozzie Guillen every year. Enough already.

This isn't Ozzie or the Sox trying to sell if through the media though; this is merely Gonzo reporting that it's being done. In fact, I don't recall hearing Ozzie saying anything about it to this point, this season.

Frater Perdurabo
06-03-2011, 12:54 PM
This isn't Ozzie or the Sox trying to sell if through the media though; this is merely Gonzo reporting that it's being done. In fact, I don't recall hearing Ozzie saying anything about it to this point, this season.

That's what stood out to me as well. We have no reason to doubt Gonzo's reporting.