PDA

View Full Version : Did Anyone Notice...

RKMeibalane
07-08-2002, 10:03 PM
...that Sosa did not shake hands with Giambi when the derby ended? He just headed back towards the clubhouse with his head down. Also, it looked like he was crying when Giambi was presented with the trophy. It may have just been sweat running down his face, but he did not look happy at all.

nut_stock
07-08-2002, 10:05 PM
just think how great it'd have been if Konerko made the finals. He damn near had the chance to beat that gorilla himself.

Chisox_cali
07-08-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
...that Sosa did not shake hands with Giambi when the derby ended? He just headed back towards the clubhouse with his head down. Also, it looked like he was crying when Giambi was presented with the trophy. It may have just been sweat running down his face, but he did not look happy at all.

The Home Run Derby is the most crushing thing to lose as a baseball player, not the World Series.

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

The Home Run Derby is the most crushing thing to lose as a baseball player, not the World Series. are you serious......... c'mon.

idseer
07-08-2002, 10:16 PM
what i DID notice was sosa's attitude when he hit the last one to knock out sexson.

filpping the bat, looking away and pretending he didn't care how far back it landed. it just seemed anything but sportsman like to me.

RedPinStripes
07-08-2002, 10:17 PM
I noticed it, and it's funny how he was so quick to throw it in Sexon's face by throwing the bat and walking away when he beat him. I wish the media would quit sucking up to all his bull**** and realize how much of a selfish prick he is.

nut_stock
07-08-2002, 10:19 PM
Knowing the cubune, they'd probably say that Sosa lost his focus because his loving wife was under the knife. etc

Chisox_cali
07-08-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
are you serious......... c'mon.

Well that was in teal so I was not serious of course.

BearSox
07-08-2002, 10:25 PM
Yeah ShamMe looked like he really cared about his wife out there

cheeses_h_rice
07-08-2002, 10:29 PM
The HR derbies are a fertile case study for why I hate Sham-ME Sosa with such a passion. Tonight, however, provided some good grist for the mill, as Sham-ME lost, and it seemed that some of the other players and announcers were laughing about how seriously he was taking it.

1. Sham-ME missed 3 regular season games, ostensibly for his wife's surgery, yet made it a point to leave the day of her surgery for a meaningless HR contest. This tells me that in his mind, Sham-ME > the Cubs team.

2. Sham-ME took, by far, more pitches and backed out of the batter's box than any other player out there. In the first round, he took 29 pitches, and his at-bat lasted 10 minutes or so.

3. Sham-ME sat by himself throughout most of the contest, not fraternizing with other players. Instead, he made a point of going to the tunnel by himself to swing the bat (with cameraman in tow, natch) and stretching, all with this SUPER SERIOUS look on his face. Sammy, it's a friggin' home run derby, not game 7 of the World Series. Although I can see why you take this so seriously, considering you'll never see minute 1 of any WS game.

4. Sham-ME's arrogant, showboating bat toss after "beating" Sexson was pure, pompous ass-ness at its worst.

5. Sham-ME not congratulating Giambi for beating the snot out of him in the final round. Real classy, Sham-ME.

The man is a fraud, pure and simple: a substance-abusing, cheating, egomaniacal, anti-team fraud. Tonight just reinforced that tenfold.

cheeses_h_rice
07-08-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
Knowing the cubune, they'd probably say that Sosa lost his focus because his loving wife was under the knife. etc

LOL. Jeff Blanzy on Channel 7 said that "Sammy hadn't swung the bat in 3 days" was the reason he lost.

Yes, I'm sure taking off and resting for 3 days contributed to him being so tuckered out in the third round.

Chisox_cali
07-08-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Well Said Cheeses. Every Single Point Dead F'N on.

BearSox
07-08-2002, 10:38 PM
What makes my blood boil the most is every time ShamMe does that bottle water splash on the face thing, there is always a camera there to show it, whats the big deal? i counted it three times tonight!

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by BearSox
What makes my blood boil the most is every time ShamMe does that bottle water splash on the face thing, there is always a camera there to show it, whats the big deal? i counted it three times tonight!

Damn near everything had a camera on it tonight.

nut_stock
07-08-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Damn near everything had a camera on it tonight.

Maybe the cameraman will follow Sosa back to the clubhouse and accidently get a shot of him juicing up!

CerberusWG
07-08-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock

Maybe the cameraman will follow Sosa back to the clubhouse and accidently get a shot of him juicing up!

Owned!

Comedy gold right there.

ISUSoxfan
07-09-2002, 01:05 AM
This HR Derby reminded me of Rocky IV, where the Russian is on steroids, but they wear off as he gets exhausted at the end of the fight and he loses.

ISUSoxfan
07-09-2002, 01:10 AM
Also, what purpose did those things on Sammi's arms serve, except to hide needle scars?

bc2k
07-09-2002, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

Did you also notice Curt Schilling mocking Sosa after he hit 12 homers in the first round? Curt was talking with Berman, Morgan, and Piazza when he said, "Beisball has bean berry berry goodtome" in a Dominican accent. Berman looked at Curt with a finger over his lips and said something like, "Shh, we're on."

That made my day and I am now a bigger Curt Schilling fan.

Chisox_cali
07-09-2002, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by ISUSoxfan
Also, what purpose did those things on Sammi's arms serve, except to hide needle scars?

I've said the same thing before, it could be 150 degree's outside and he'll still be in long sleeves and 8 million arm bands, What the Hell! I hope someone like a Rick Reilly picks up on that, and made writes about it. More fuel for the fire.

Chisox353014
07-09-2002, 09:42 AM
Some other things I noticed:
-Sham-ME changing bats in the middle of the last round. A good craftsman never blames his tools Shammy...
-Bud Selig introduced to a rousing chorus of boos and jeers. Does anybody like this guy?
-Best fan sign of the night: "Contract the Yankees". ESPN showed it for a second after Giambi won and then quickly switched cameras.
-Giambi kept calling Sham-ME "Manimal". A subtle reference to Sham-ME juicing?

LongDistanceFan
07-09-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Chisox353014

-Giambi kept calling Sham-ME "Manimal". A subtle reference to Sham-ME juicing? how is that a ref to his juicing.

oldcomiskey
07-09-2002, 10:34 AM

I've said the same thing before, it could be 150 degree's outside and he'll still be in long sleeves and 8 million arm bands, What the Hell! I hope someone like a Rick Reilly picks up on that, and made writes about it. More fuel for the fire.

not defending Sammy here by any means---but Dick Allen did that too------and nobody was bigger prick on the field than Dick was-----of course Dick was a better all around player-----but whos counting

Dadawg_77
07-09-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

3. Sham-ME sat by himself throughout most of the contest, not fraternizing with other players. Instead, he made a point of going to the tunnel by himself to swing the bat (with cameraman in tow, natch) and stretching, all with this SUPER SERIOUS look on his face. Sammy, it's a friggin' home run derby, not game 7 of the World Series. Although I can see why you take this so seriously, considering you'll never see minute 1 of any WS game.

Sammy was shown in the dugout with Cal Ripken, and couple of kids, plus the guy who had him in the Century 21 sweapstakes.
That was the fun part of the night, watching the faces of the people who had a chance to win a house.

LongDistanceFan
07-09-2002, 04:31 PM

Well that was in teal so I was not serious of course.

yeah it was and i am sorry about it.