PDA

View Full Version : Sox strength of schedule

gosox41
06-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Does anyone know of a pale where they can rate each teams strength of schedule up to his point in the season. I would think the Sox have had one of the tougher schedules, granted I know the AL is tough and has like 9 or 10 teams playing .500 ball.

I know the Sox have played the most road games of any team.

I was going through this is a friend and it seems like the Sox have played something like 40 of 58 games against teams that are currently .500 or better. My friend was doing the math, but I recall the following games:

8-Tampa Bay
4 Yankees
3 Red Sox
3 Blue Jays
5 Indians
3 Tigers
5 Rangers
3 Oakland
6 Angels--not sure if the Angels are still above .500 as they have slumped as of late.

Seems to me like this has been one of the tougher schedules through June 1 that I can remember for the Sox.

Am I right in feeling this team has had a tough schedule so far?

Bob

asindc
06-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Does anyone know of a pale where they can rate each teams strength of schedule up to his point in the season. I would think the Sox have had one of the tougher schedules, granted I know the AL is tough and has like 9 or 10 teams playing .500 ball.

I know the Sox have played the most road games of any team.

I was going through this is a friend and it seems like the Sox have played something like 40 of 58 games against teams that are currently .500 or better. My friend was doing the math, but I recall the following games:

8-Tampa Bay
4 Yankees
3 Red Sox
3 Blue Jays
5 Indians
3 Tigers
5 Rangers
3 Oakland
6 Angels--not sure if the Angels are still above .500 as they have slumped as of late.

Seems to me like this has been one of the tougher schedules through June 1 that I can remember for the Sox.

Am I right in feeling this team has had a tough schedule so far?

Bob

4 Blue Jays
6 Oakland

Stormin' Norm
06-03-2011, 09:51 AM
In ESPN the Magazine's 2011 baseball preview, there was a strength of schedule write up, based off last years results and pre season roster's. I believe it had the Sox with one of the easiest, if not the easiest SOS for the 2011 season.

Obviously, those numbers are speculation and to be taken with a grain of salt.

Here is a link with current SOS info, amongst other stat-head data.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi/_/sort/sos

chisoxfanatic
06-03-2011, 10:05 AM
In ESPN the Magazine's 2011 baseball preview, there was a strength of schedule write up, based off last years results and pre season roster's. I believe it had the Sox with one of the easiest, if not the easiest SOS for the 2011 season.

Wow, the Cubs are doing horribly yet have had the easiest schedule? That's hilarious.

Moses_Scurry
06-03-2011, 10:27 AM

I'm guessing that this list doesn't take into account home games vs. road games. The Twins are ranked 26th, but I've read that they have played about 75% of their games on the road.

I like seeing Cleveland and Detroit so much lower than the Sox. Maybe that means the Sox will pass them when everything evens out.

hoosiersoxfan
06-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Wow, the Cubs are doing horribly yet have had the easiest schedule? That's hilarious.

Yea they've had a very easy schedule so far. They could be completely done for after the road trip they start today. 10 game trip at St Louis, Cincy, and Philly.

Sox have had a ton of road games but I think still have a great shot to catch up.

Frater Perdurabo
06-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Playing a lot of games against the Astros and Pirates results in an "easy" schedule.

The Sox have had a tough schedule, and they've done OK on the road. Now it's time to win some home games.

They can't be satisfied with "winning a series." They need to win games, especially against ALC opponents. Period.

kittle42
06-03-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm guessing that this list doesn't take into account home games vs. road games. The Twins are ranked 26th, but I've read that they have played about 75% of their games on the road.

Baseball is the game where, win/loss % wise, home field actually plays out to have the least advantage among baseball, football, hockey, basketball, and soccer. I think it is something like 54% of games are won by the home team over the past 50 years in baseball, significantly less than some of the other sports. Strange, since it is the only game where the actual rules favor the home team (last at-bat).

Frater Perdurabo
06-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Strange, since it is the only game where the actual rules favor the home team (last at-bat).

I don't think it's so strange, considering that among the major spectator sports, baseball is the one sport where "feeding off the energy" of the crowd helps the least. I guess golf would be the same way.

I would think that home field advantage would play out most in baseball when it comes to the actual field dimensions and conditions. Football fields and basketball courts have uniform dimensions; hockey rinks vary in size somewhat; but baseball fields all have different fence depths, heights, ground rules, etc. They are all so different that it should confer upon the home infielders and outfielders a significant advantage in positioning.