PDA

View Full Version : WS average payroll 23rd in world

KyWhiSoxFan
06-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Saw an interesting article in SportsPro Magazine. It lists the top 50 sports teams in the world by the average salaries, and the White Sox rank 23rd with an average salary of $4,732,926. That is fifth highest among all baseball teams.

The leader is Barcelona (soccer) at $7,910,737, with Real Madrid second at $7,356,632; NY Yankees third at $6,756,301; LA Lakers fourth at $6,540,690; and Orlando Magic fifth at $6,367,114.

Among baseball teams, the ones higher than the White Sox are the Yankees, Boston ($5,991,203), Philadelphia ($5,765,879), and Cubs ($5,001,893). Interestingly, Minnesota is 25th at $4,509,480.

The Bulls are 42nd at $4,016,979. The Heat are 58th, at $3.4-million, because they have a bunch of low-end players because they have to balance the salaries of their big three to meet the salary cap.

kaufsox
06-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Honestly, I'm a little surprised, I wouldn't have figured the Sox to be that high world wide. You wouldn't happen to have a link to that article would you? I'd like to see what other soccer teams are up there. My guess is the English teams are well represented, maybe a couple of Italians and one more Spanish, maybe. I'd be shocked if a French team is up that high, maybe a German or two. Be nice to see how wrong I am. :D:

Moses_Scurry
06-02-2011, 12:07 PM
I would think that Basketball, Hockey, and Football teams would all be pretty bunched together within their respective leagues. Aren't they all pretty much at or near the salary caps with maybe a couple teams here or there significantly below? Plus they all have the same roster size. Plus, the numbers would be skewed by roster size. A basketball team has about 13 spots while a football team has what? 60 spots not counting practice squad? Yet the football salary cap is only about double the basketball cap.

DSpivack
06-02-2011, 12:24 PM
I would think that Basketball, Hockey, and Football teams would all be pretty bunched together within their respective leagues. Aren't they all pretty much at or near the salary caps with maybe a couple teams here or there significantly below? Plus they all have the same roster size. Plus, the numbers would be skewed by roster size. A basketball team has about 13 spots while a football team has what? 60 spots not counting practice squad? Yet the football salary cap is only about double the basketball cap.

Under the current CBA, the NBA has a soft team cap but a hard cap on individual salaries. Thus, while the Bulls are near the cap at $60 million, they're on the lower end of actual payrolls in the NBA.