PDA

View Full Version : Dice-K to have Tommy John surgery

thomas35forever
06-01-2011, 09:52 PM
http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21107206/report-matsuzaka-needs-tommy-john-surgery

palehozenychicty
06-01-2011, 10:12 PM
He never fit from day 1. There had been word of whether the surgery was necessary. He also had control issues and complying with management.

I doubt we'll see him in the League again.

russ99
06-01-2011, 10:32 PM
He never fit from day 1. There had been word of whether the surgery was necessary. He also had control issues and complying with management.

I doubt we'll see him in the League again.

What a massive waste of cash.

I hope the league is smarter next year with Yu Darvish after the flops that Matsuzaka and Fukudome have become.

The good news is that this means Wakefield stays in the rotation. I love knuckleballers - especially when the Sox get hits off one.

HaroMaster87
06-02-2011, 11:18 PM
This guy was pretty wicked when he first got to the states...

Didnt the BoSox have to pay like 20 mil just to talk to him??

asindc
06-02-2011, 11:31 PM
This guy was pretty wicked when he first got to the states...

Didnt the BoSox have to pay like 20 mil just to talk to him??

No. It was $51.1 million.

Fenway
06-03-2011, 01:46 PM
The word back in Boston is he will never pitch in a Red Sox uniform again....

He wound up costing the Sawx $105M PLUS a Lincoln Town car and housing allowance, the interperter and anything else Boras could scam. Works out to a million bucks per start :?:

One good thing is it gives Wakefield a chance to break the all-time wins record for Boston which is 192 - (Clemens and Cy Young)

I don't think you will ever see a MLB team pay that kind of posting fee again - Boston paid one billion yen or around 51M

JermaineDye05
06-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Theo Epstein is a genius.

kittle42
06-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Theo Epstein is a genius.

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving team.

Hitmen77
06-03-2011, 02:16 PM
The Yankees and Red Sox can afford to make these high priced blunders and have it be merely a speed bump on their free agent pursuits and their annual playoff berths.

For just about every other team, this kind of expenditure on a flop would handcuff the franchise.

doublem23
06-03-2011, 02:53 PM
The Yankees and Red Sox can afford to make these high priced blunders and have it be merely a speed bump on their free agent pursuits and their annual playoff berths.

For just about every other team, this kind of expenditure on a flop would handcuff the franchise.

Pretty much. A lot of Theo's latest moves; Lackey, Drew, and for right now, Crawford, have been less than impressive. Luckily, he's basically got a bottomless payroll to keep bailing him out. How smart of him!

That being said, Dice-K was probably Boston's #2 starter during their 2007 World Series win, so it's not all bad. Sometimes this is the price you have to pay to get to the top.

asindc
06-03-2011, 03:46 PM
The word back in Boston is he will never pitch in a Red Sox uniform again....

He wound up costing the Sawx $105M PLUS a Lincoln Town car and housing allowance, the interperter and anything else Boras could scam. Works out to a million bucks per start :?:

One good thing is it gives Wakefield a chance to break the all-time wins record for Boston which is 192 - (Clemens and Cy Young)

I don't think you will ever see a MLB team pay that kind of posting fee again - Boston paid one billion yen or around 51M

One can only hope.