PDA

View Full Version : Lillibridge the Crusher

billcissell
06-01-2011, 05:37 PM
This guy seems to do something good whenever he's in the lineup.

He reminds me of Craig Grebeck, deceptively powerful for his size. He's made some nice plays in the outfield, can play any infield position and he can steal a base. Hopefully Guillen will continue to find a spot for him in the lineup, at least on a semi-regular basis.

DJ has taken to calling him "The Crusher".

Any relation to Dick the Bruiser and The Crusher, the famous wrestling tag team from way back in the day?

JermaineDye05
06-01-2011, 05:38 PM
I like Lillibeast better.

soltrain21
06-01-2011, 05:38 PM
LilliHurt is the best nickname yet. Far greater than The Crusher.

BringBackBlkJack
06-01-2011, 05:55 PM

Ditto.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-01-2011, 05:58 PM

I like that one.

Lillibridge is turning me into a crow connoisseur. Let's hope he keeps this up.

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 06:05 PM
I was at the "Lillibridge Game" at Yankee Stadium in April. The two NY tabloids featured his catches on the back sports page the next morning. I kept them. The second catch was right in front of me. I was utterly convinced that the Sox would go on a tear after that. . Instead they lost the next two in NY and I followed them back to Chicago where i saw them lose two uninspired games vs Bal and then had the privilege of freezing my ass off as they were no hit by Liriano--who had slightly above average stuff--at best. Least impressive no-hitter of all time! :tongue:

My point? Not sure except I don't think they are going to come home and pull this **** again. If they do, then it's probably over. If they stay hot, it will be a great summer. :bandance:

beasly213
06-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Lillabeast is the best nickname for him.

voodoochile
06-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Lillabeast is the best nickname for him.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6755&d=1280731952
"RAWR! I say... RAWR!!!"

thomas35forever
06-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Every year, there's one player we get especially excited over that has never earned the acclaim before. Lillibridge might be that player in 2011.

Ron Karkovice
06-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Every year, there's one player we get especially excited over that has never earned the acclaim before. Lillibridge might be that player in 2011.

True, but if I remember right, didn't lilli have a long period of time last year where whenever he played he crushed the ball??

cws05champ
06-01-2011, 07:34 PM
I would say that Lillibridge should play LF and lead-off against LHP, and Juan against RHP...but then I looked at the oddity of their splits:

Pierre:
vs LHP: .347avg, .467 OBP
vs RHP: .241avg, .281 OBP

Lillibridge
vs RHP: .323avg, .421 OBP
vs LHP: .276avg, .344 OBP

Now I don't know what is going on :scratch::scratch:

slavko
06-01-2011, 07:45 PM
True, but if I remember right, didn't lilli have a long period of time last year where whenever he played he crushed the ball??

He killed the first part of 2010 then reverted to his lifetime average. Still, he deserves playing time for performing so well, esp. since there are guys who aren't. He's a better OF than IF but not great at either.

DSpivack
06-01-2011, 07:57 PM

This guy seems to do something good whenever he's in the lineup.

He reminds me of Craig Grebeck, deceptively powerful for his size. He's made some nice plays in the outfield, can play any infield position and he can steal a base. Hopefully Guillen will continue to find a spot for him in the lineup, at least on a semi-regular basis.

DJ has taken to calling him "The Crusher".

Any relation to Dick the Bruiser and The Crusher, the famous wrestling tag team from way back in the day?

LilliHurt works well with the Craig Grebeck comparison, too.

spawn
06-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Phil Humber says hello.

TDog
06-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Anyone who watches the Sox on the road should watch Lillibridge take batting practice.

Last year, Lillibridge had his most success as a pinch hitter. There was also a game he won with a home run after making a defensive mistake as a defensive replacement on the infield that put the Sox in a postion to need his home run to win it. It may be that pitchers were going on old scouting reports and previous experiences. When you're not in the starting lineup, unless you're a regular getting the day off, teams probably don't go over you before the game. In 2010, Lillibridge returned to the Sox with some tweaks that improved his hitting tremendously, and it may have caught some teams by surprise.

He still strikes out too much, especially for a hitter with a small strike zone. He swings at too many bad pitches. Still, he is a tougher out this year than he was last year when he returned to the majors, so he appears to be making adjustments. I would like to see him make more contact with two strikes. Today, after doing so well to stay with the knuckleball, that may have been too much to ask against the heat late in the game. But otherwise, I like his approach as a hitter. He also plays with the hunger of someone trying to stay in the big leagues.

I honestly don't know if he could play so well if he were playing every day, but I wouldn't mind seeing him lead off on a regular basis. There have been a lot of missed RBI opportunities at the top of the Sox order.

In any case, Lillibridge has come a long way since many were suggesting he would be the first Sox player sent down to the minors this season.

SOXSINCE'70
06-01-2011, 08:19 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6755&d=1280731952
"RAWR! I say... RAWR!!!"

Fitting for this weekend's opponent.Declaw those Tiggers NOW!!

LITTLE NELL
06-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Who would have thunk it, June 1st and Lillibeast has more HRs than Dunn, Rios and a few others.

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2011, 09:07 PM
"RAWR! I say... RAWR!!!"

Lilliger??? :tongue:

KenBerryGrab
06-01-2011, 09:10 PM
So you have to say they picked correctly from among Getz, Nix and Lilly.

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2011, 09:14 PM
So you have to say they picked correctly from among Getz, Nix and Lilly.
At first I said to myself "Nobody Getz this! Let's Nix that deal and signing!" But then I was like "In hindsight, we may have a Lil Bridge to Soxess in our hands!" :redneck

Carneyman14
06-01-2011, 09:16 PM
At first I said to myself "Nobody Getz this! Let's Nix that deal and signing!" But then I was like "In hindsight, we may have a Lil Bridge to Soxess in our hands!" :redneck

Is this post in real life? :D:

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Is this post in real life? :D:
You betcha!

spawn
06-01-2011, 09:20 PM
:thumbsup:

FielderJones
06-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Fire Walker

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/cbsports-lillibridge-turning-corner-for-sox-at-right-time-20110601,0,28954.story

I guess he doesn't always tell the Sox hitters to swing as hard as they can.

Zakath
06-01-2011, 10:03 PM
OPS is now 1.049.

slavko
06-01-2011, 10:12 PM

I am awestruck.

voodoochile
06-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Lilliger??? :tongue:\

That my friend IS the rarely seen and almost never photographed 4 eared bouncing Lillibeast.

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2011, 10:22 PM
OPS is now 1.049.
I KNEW there was at least something good coming out of going to Toronto. That's right in the ballpark of the US/Canadian currency exchange rate!
\

That my friend IS the rarely seen and almost never photographed 4 eared bouncing Lillibeast.
Looks like he's ready for his cameo on the music video for Shake Your Tailfeather...That...LILLIGER!!! :redneck :irule:

DSpivack
06-01-2011, 10:32 PM
I KNEW there was at least something good coming out of going to Toronto. That's right in the ballpark of the US/Canadian currency exchange rate!

Looks like he's ready for his cameo on the music video for Shake Your Tailfeather...That...LILLIGER!!! :redneck :irule:

I don't know, when I read that I thought of a Liger, a cross between a Lion and a Tiger, and thus only suited for a Detroit player.

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2011, 10:36 PM
I don't know, when I read that I thought of a Liger, a cross between a Lion and a Tiger, and thus only suited for a Detroit player.
Lilliger ate a tiger for breakfast. :cool:

DSpivack
06-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Lilliger ate a tiger for breakfast. :cool:

Indigestion and heartburn is one thing, eating something from Detroit and getting Raburn is quite another!

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Indigestion and heartburn is one thing, eating something from Detroit and getting Raburn is quite another!
You're right...The restaurant purposely Boesch'd that meal, so I left a Penny as a tip and moved to Alburquerque!

DSpivack
06-01-2011, 11:02 PM
You're right...The restaurant purposely Boesch'd that meal, so I left a Penny as a tip and moved to Alburquerque!

I was at that restaurant a month or so ago. I tried to order a Coke from a waiter who surely mispelled his name, as the tag said Jhonny, but I couldn't understand his Rhymes. Eventually I got my pop, and they kept on refilling it so quickly I eventually regretted my B.Inge.

palehozenychicty
06-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Anyone who watches the Sox on the road should watch Lillibridge take batting practice.

Last year, Lillibridge had his most success as a pinch hitter. There was also a game he won with a home run after making a defensive mistake as a defensive replacement on the infield that put the Sox in a postion to need his home run to win it. It may be that pitchers were going on old scouting reports and previous experiences. When you're not in the starting lineup, unless you're a regular getting the day off, teams probably don't go over you before the game. In 2010, Lillibridge returned to the Sox with some tweaks that improved his hitting tremendously, and it may have caught some teams by surprise.

He still strikes out too much, especially for a hitter with a small strike zone. He swings at too many bad pitches. Still, he is a tougher out this year than he was last year when he returned to the majors, so he appears to be making adjustments. I would like to see him make more contact with two strikes. Today, after doing so well to stay with the knuckleball, that may have been too much to ask against the heat late in the game. But otherwise, I like his approach as a hitter. He also plays with the hunger of someone trying to stay in the big leagues.

I honestly don't know if he could play so well if he were playing every day, but I wouldn't mind seeing him lead off on a regular basis. There have been a lot of missed RBI opportunities at the top of the Sox order.

In any case, Lillibridge has come a long way since many were suggesting he would be the first Sox player sent down to the minors this season.

The bold is why he is so intriguing. He is getting better control of the zone. The problem is that the Sox are somewhat of a free swinging team, so I wonder how he can accelerate this improvement. I think his defense in the OF is good enough to start.

balke
06-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Definitely gotta keep playing him while hot. It does sound like some of the pros and coaches think this is a fluke though and his power swinging is going to end up hurting him in the end.

For now - swing away Lillihurt.

Side note: Konerko deserves a big thread too. He's a completely different person from 2-3 years ago. Looks like he just turned 30. 2-3 years ago he looked 50 out there. Hawk can kinda relax on the house reference though.

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2011, 11:34 PM
I was at that restaurant a month or so ago. I tried to order a Coke from a waiter who surely mispelled his name, as the tag said Jhonny, but I couldn't understand his Rhymes. Eventually I got my pop, and they kept on refilling it so quickly I eventually regretted my B.Inge.
Your B.Inge was so much that your eye Wells up at the sight of your tab's Worth! You for Scherzer Maxed out your credit card in that one seating! :tongue:

nug0hs
06-01-2011, 11:38 PM
He's slugging over .600 right now, stealing bases, playing sound defense (1.000 fld%) and costs us $430,000. You sure as hell can't argue with that. You could even go as far as saying hes been the MVP of a game or two for us.

Regardless of that... don't forget this was our deal to get him:
December 4, 2008: Traded by the Atlanta Braves (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ATL/2008.shtml) with Jon Gilmore (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=gilmor001jon) (minors), Santos Rodriguez (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=rodrig002san) (minors) and Tyler Flowers (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/flowety01.shtml) to the Chicago White Sox (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2008.shtml) for Boone Logan (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/loganbo02.shtml) and Javier Vazquez (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/vazquja01.shtml).

Not a bad trade for us if I say so myself...

DSpivack
06-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Your B.Inge was so much that your eye Wells up at the sight of your tab's Worth! You for Scherzer Maxed out your credit card in that one seating! :tongue:

OK, you win. :tongue:

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-02-2011, 12:07 AM
:threadrules:

SoxThunder
06-02-2011, 12:08 AM
When Lillibridge first came to the Sox, I thought the only thing he was good for was his horrible Waste Management commercials on the scoreboard.

chisoxfanatic
06-02-2011, 12:11 AM
When Lillibridge first came to the Sox, I thought the only thing he was good for was his horrible Waste Management commercials on the scoreboard.
:rolling:

I remember telling some friends that he was the perfect guy for that promo, since he could've hid a bunch of garbage in those ears! :tongue:

DrCrawdad
06-02-2011, 12:16 AM

I vote for LilliHurt.

You could also go in honor of the 1994 Winter Olympics with LilliHammer (LilleHammer).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/1994_Winter_Olympics_logo.svg

hawkjt
06-02-2011, 01:11 AM

He still strikes out too much, especially for a hitter with a small strike zone. He swings at too many bad pitches. Still, he is a tougher out this year than he was last year when he returned to the majors, so he appears to be making adjustments. I would like to see him make more contact with two strikes.doing so well Today, after to stay with the knuckleball, that may have been too much to ask against the heat late in the game. But otherwise, I like his approach as a hitter. He also plays with the hunger of someone trying to stay in the big leagues.

Lilly hammered a knucker 6 inches below the top of the monster,then took Wakefield over the wall with a bomb. He then faced Bard who was absolutely filthy....his 1st two pitches to Lilly were breaking balls that went 12 to 6,then a 99mph just high out of the zone,then a 98 high outside corner that lilly struck out on....nobody touched Bard today as he faced 4,and got 4. His stuff is far better than paplebaum. If I was a red sox fan,I would be screaming for him to close.

Lilly was in a great groove last year for awhile and he is right back in that groove right now. He squares up more balls than anyone outside of PK right now.

white sox bill
06-02-2011, 07:40 AM
When he first was on this team I had him pegged as another marginal minor leaguer who will rack up frequent flyer miles between Charlotte and Chicago.

Now he appears to be a driving force and a major contributor this yr. Lets hope he can keep one step ahead of the scouts of opposing teams.

24thStFan
06-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Definitely gotta keep playing him while hot.

Let's hope Ozzie follows your sage advice. Lillibridge should be starting in the OF, alternating between LF and CF.

TheVulture
06-03-2011, 12:34 AM
Every year, there's one player we get especially excited over that has never earned the acclaim before.

You obviously didn't live through the second half of the eighties.

LongLiveFisk
06-03-2011, 12:38 AM

I like saying it but not typing it. Too many pesky L's.

Think I'll just call him "Bridge" in the game threads. :D:

Foulke You
06-03-2011, 02:58 AM
:hawk
"I tell you what, Jose DeLeon is going to be one heck of a pitcher!"

LongLiveFisk
06-03-2011, 10:46 AM

Oh I don't know...I seem to recall people being really excited about guys like Dave Gallagher and Freddy Manrique.

Hitmen77
06-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Oh I don't know...I seem to recall people being really excited about guys like Dave Gallagher and Freddy Manrique.

I was thinking of him too. There's also Dan Pasqua. That guy could really hit the ball far. :macho:

chisoxfanatic
06-03-2011, 11:02 AM
It's all settled...He's Brent Kittle-Bridge!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2461/5792022593_9551a77e93_b.jpg

kaufsox
06-03-2011, 11:10 AM
I prefer a little ode to the old school, Lilly Longball.

Moses_Scurry
06-03-2011, 11:24 AM

I was excited about Dave Gallagher and Jack McDowell on those late '80's teams. Turns out I was right to be excited about one and wrong about the other. I was also excited when Bobby Thigpen took over for Bob James.

forrestg
06-03-2011, 12:10 PM
I prefer a little ode to the old school, Lilly Longball.
He's got some power homer rate on par with RUTH how about "lillabambino"

jdm2662
06-03-2011, 12:59 PM
:hawk
"I tell you what, Jose DeLeon is going to be one heck of a pitcher!"

One of my favorite trivia questions:

In 1986, Roger Clemens went 24-4. Two of his losses came to the same team and starting pitcher a week apart. Name the team and pitcher.

A: Chicago White Sox and Jose DeLeon

My first ever Sox game was the game at Comiskey.