PDA

View Full Version : Six Man Rotation to stay

JermaineDye05
06-01-2011, 05:34 PM
For now

Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110601&content_id=19868442&notebook_id=19881444&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws)

Funny how it comes after Humber's start. It's like they're just waiting for him to have a bad start so they can have an excuse to put him in the pen.

Marqhead
06-01-2011, 05:43 PM
For now

Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110601&content_id=19868442&notebook_id=19881444&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws)

Funny how it comes after Humber's start. It's like they're just waiting for him to have a bad start so they can have an excuse to put him in the pen.

I don't really think that's the case. Anyhow, it's working for now, it gives everyone some extra rest, and for the most part they are all contributing in a positive way. Keep using it while it's working.

I'd wager someone gets traded at the deadline.

JermaineDye05
06-01-2011, 05:48 PM
I don't really think that's the case. Anyhow, it's working for now, it gives everyone some extra rest, and for the most part they are all contributing in a positive way. Keep using it while it's working.

I don't like it for the bullpen. We have to use guys like Pena (now on the DL) in situations we normally wouldn't.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-01-2011, 05:51 PM

My money would be on Jackson, with Floyd a close second. A dark horse would actually likely be Humber, to see if anyone would buy high on him.

Flamer
06-01-2011, 05:53 PM
My money would be on Jackson, with Floyd a close second. A dark horse would actually likely be Humber, to see if anyone would buy high on him.

I wouldn't be surprised either if Humber was moved if the Sox are out of it by the trade deadline. He is an unrestricted FA, I think.

Crestani
06-01-2011, 06:19 PM
I wouldn't be surprised either if Humber was moved if the Sox are out of it by the trade deadline. He is an unrestricted FA, I think.

The Sox would move Jackson before they would move Humber...IMO.

thomas35forever
06-01-2011, 06:29 PM
I don't have a problem with it. If we're playing well right now, no need to tinker with our biggest strength.

Noneck
06-01-2011, 06:34 PM
He is an unrestricted FA, I think.

This came up previously and I don't think anyone here could definitely determine if he will indeed become a unrestricted FA at year end. If he is not, I dont see them trading him.

balke
06-01-2011, 07:54 PM
For now

Saw Ozzie interviewed about this - and yes he made it seem they would have put Humber in the pen with a bad start - so instead they are gonna give it "one more go".

I think if money weren't an issue Edwin would be in the pen. Not for poor play or anything - but the endurance of his arm and time to warm up.

Its amazing the variety of pitching from the starters too. Every guy is a little different. Some fireballers - some with a ton of movement - and a couple precision finesse guys

soltrain21
06-01-2011, 08:01 PM
This came up previously and I don't think anyone here could definitely determine if he will indeed become a unrestricted FA at year end. If he is not, I dont see them trading him.

Shouldn't try to trade him, anyway. Lock him up for 2-3 years at a pretty nice price right now. Gives him security and lets us get him before his value gets higher.

DickAllen72
06-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Saw Ozzie interviewed about this - and yes he made it seem they would have put Humber in the pen with a bad start - so instead they are gonna give it "one more go".

So after being the Sox' best pitcher for the first two months, Humber is now one bad start away from being demoted to the pen? Nothing Ozzie does would surprise me.

Tragg
06-01-2011, 10:28 PM
It was obvious that Humber was the last guy out because the Sox make such decisions based things that should be irrelevant in such decisions like sunk costs and salaries.

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2011, 10:29 PM
In my Humble opinion, Humber is here to stay...If Buehrle is close to calling it quits, he is looking like a great guy to build a pitching rotation around (at this present moment).

cws05champ
06-01-2011, 10:37 PM
In my Humble opinion, Humber is here to stay...If Buehrle is close to calling it quits, he is looking like a great guy to build a pitching rotation around (at this present moment).
If the Sox are building their pitching staff around Humber we have some major problems.

fram40
06-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Shouldn't try to trade him, anyway. Lock him up for 2-3 years at a pretty nice price right now. Gives him security and lets us get him before his value gets higher.

I'm thinking the same thing. But is Humber for real?

Noneck
06-01-2011, 10:40 PM

I dont know, thats why I hope he actually is a restricted FA.

TomBradley72
06-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Keep all 6 starters- odds are very high that someone goes down in the 2nd half- I don't want see Lucas Harrell or Marquez, etc. as our 5th starter. We don't have much help on the way for 2012 either, not much trade bait for a starter and have enough high priced free agents on the roster already.

I'm still getting over the Danny Wright era.

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2011, 10:53 PM
If the Sox are building their pitching staff around Humber we have some major problems.
Not this present one, but we never know what he may be in the near or distant future.

soltrain21
06-01-2011, 10:57 PM

I'd rather take the chance on him for 2-3 years to find out than not take that chance.

balke
06-01-2011, 11:39 PM
So after being the Sox' best pitcher for the first two months, Humber is now one bad start away from being demoted to the pen? Nothing Ozzie does would surprise me.

It's not just Ozzie. There's a lot going on there and any manager in that situation is going to have a responsibility to his players and the organization.

If Danks or Edwin goes into the pen that affects arbitration and can hurt them in free agency or trade value. Whoever goes into the pen will look like the loser. None of these guys have been a loser this year. (even if 0-7). I'm just glad to see him not taking Humber out yet - and seeing how far a 6 man can take them. Gonna keep these guys competitive and healthy.

russ99
06-01-2011, 11:52 PM
It's not just Ozzie. There's a lot going on there and any manager in that situation is going to have a responsibility to his players and the organization.

If Danks or Edwin goes into the pen that affects arbitration and can hurt them in free agency or trade value. Whoever goes into the pen will look like the loser. None of these guys have been a loser this year. (even if 0-7). I'm just glad to see him not taking Humber out yet - and seeing how far a 6 man can take them. Gonna keep these guys competitive and healthy.

I think it goes higher that just Ozzie, too.

If Kenny legitimately wants to lock up and build around Danks 2 years down the road or wants to re-sign or more likely move Jackson, moving them to the pen now would weaken his position.

I really hope Peavy holds together the rest of the season, but we should go 6 just in case he can't.

Plus, after tomorrow we have only 2 off days before the all-star break. Can't hurt to keep it going. I wonder if the extra rest days will reduce the usual dead-arm period that Sox starters all seem to go through in July or August.

canOcorn
06-02-2011, 12:09 AM

Nobody is building the staff "around" Humber. There's no reason to think that Humber cannot be Floyd. They both fell on their faces (after being top 5 draft picks) with their original teams and have turned it around. We're losing at least two starters for next year and have nothing ready to replace them. It seems like a cheap safety net for the next couple of years.

hawkjt
06-02-2011, 01:16 AM
The Sox strategy is clear now....stick with 6 man rotation at least thru the allstar break,and maybe beyond,but with an eye toward the trading deadline. That keeps the older guys like MB and Peavy fresher in the second half,and keeps the other 4 in a starting groove. I still think that Jackson will be moved and then we settle into the 5 man rotation with fresher starters the last two months.

I am fine with it,as long as the bullpen holds up.

TDog
06-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Keep all 6 starters- odds are very high that someone goes down in the 2nd half- I don't want see Lucas Harrell or Marquez, etc. as our 5th starter. We don't have much help on the way for 2012 either, not much trade bait for a starter and have enough high priced free agents on the roster already.

I'm still getting over the Danny Wright era.

Oh, those seasons with fifth-starter issues.

In theory, if Peavy or anyone else were to suddenly go down this year, there wouldn't be a gaping hole in the rotation, of course, which I believe is your point. And it's a valid one.

I don't see any starter being dangled as trade bait, and I don't see any team coming to the Sox with a deal for a starter that couldn't be refused.

There are disadvantages to the six-man rotation. The more starters you carry, the shorter your bench. You still have to carry relievers for different situations and in a number so that extra innings wouldn't devastate your bullpen. If your starter doesn't have it, you have to hope he pulls it together or the game is lost. But if your starters go deep every time out, your bullpen isn't overworked. Your starters aren't overworked because they are getting more rest between their starts.

Whether the starters will be up to the task is another question. The reason management seems most concerned about Humber is that this season he mostly is going up against teams that have never seen him before. There is concern that he not be able to continue to pitch effectively when the weather warms up and teams gain more experience against him.

kittle42
06-02-2011, 02:21 AM
he is looking like a great guy to build a pitching rotation around (at this present moment).

Yikes.

PeteWard
06-02-2011, 06:36 AM
I think it goes higher that just Ozzie, too.

If Kenny legitimately wants to lock up and build around Danks 2 years down the road or wants to re-sign or more likely move Jackson, moving them to the pen now would weaken his position.

I really hope Peavy holds together the rest of the season, but we should go 6 just in case he can't.

Plus, after tomorrow we have only 2 off days before the all-star break. Can't hurt to keep it going. I wonder if the extra rest days will reduce the usual dead-arm period that Sox starters all seem to go through in July or August.

3 actually so including today it's four days off in June which is pretty good. Unless there is a make-up game I am not aware of?

khan
06-02-2011, 12:34 PM
I think the 6 man rotation has worked out relatively well, due in part to not having had any rainouts hereto fore. [I think that's still correct, yes?]

Going forward for 2011, I'll actually agree with Tdog in that I think that the depth on the bench and in the 'pen will be more important to get through the remainder of the schedule. [Remember kids, no amphetamines any more, so the veterans will need more days off later on in the season...]

Insofar as the composition of the rotation goes, I'll only state that I'm amused at how many here are now wanting for Jackson to be traded... I imagine that now that his wild inconsistency has been revealed in full to SOX fans, they've started to tire of him.

In 2012 and beyond, with Buehrle and Jackson likely gone, it would have been nice to have the affordable and reasonably-effective Hudson in the roster. Alas, that ship has sailed...

That said, in addition to rooting for the SOX to win, I was rooting like crazy for Jackson to pitch well enough to be traded away or signed away as a "B" or better FA. Now, I've added to that my rooting like crazy for Humber to be legit as well.

asindc
06-02-2011, 12:38 PM
I think the 6 man rotation has worked out relatively well, due in part to not having had any rainouts hereto fore. [I think that's still correct, yes?]

Going forward for 2011, I'll actually agree with Tdog in that I think that the depth on the bench and in the 'pen will be more important to get through the remainder of the schedule. [Remember kids, no amphetamines any more, so the veterans will need more days off later on in the season...]

Insofar as the composition of the rotation goes, I'll only state that I'm amused at how many here are now wanting for Jackson to be traded... I imagine that now that his wild inconsistency has been revealed in full to SOX fans, they've started to tire of him.

In 2012 and beyond, with Buehrle and Jackson likely gone, it would have been nice to have the affordable and reasonably-effective Hudson in the roster. Alas, that ship has sailed...

That said, in addition to rooting for the SOX to win, I was rooting like crazy for Jackson to pitch well enough to be traded away or signed away as a "B" or better FA. Now, I've added to that my rooting like crazy for Humber to be legit as well.

I think Jackson has been quoted recently as being willing to accept a bullpen assignment. I'll have to find the Sun Times story, but if I'm remembering correctly, then I'm certain his agent immediately called him after hearing such and implored (ordered?) him to shut up, stat.